Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:I just bought an 07 Nitro with only 14000 miles on it! I love it - except it keeps leaving me stranded. Apparantly the fuse to the main control module for the engine keeps blowing - twice now. The first time was in traffic. All the electronics keep working, but the engine just dies and won't crank over at all! It's in the shop right now and they can't figure out why? Any one else have this happen and know a possibly place to look for a remedy? I did find a bulletin listed on this page that talks about the WCM locking up - but it doesn' mention the fuse blowing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's HOME! YES

I got my Nitro back on Friday. The dealer changed the main fuse box under the hood, thinking that the problem might be in it? I have a good friend who is a mechanic and he thinks it might have been faulty and producing to much resistance, which caused the fuses to blow. The dealer said he left it run until it got hot and it blew 3 fuses in a row. He replaced that whole unit, left it run and so far...no problem. He spoke with Chrysler and the said they had never heard of this before? (Go figure.) Anyway, I now cary extra fuses with me. I hope I don't have to use them.

·
Super Moderator
24,359 Posts
Thanks for the follow-up. One of the worst issues in a Dealership Service Department for a customer, is when your problem is the first they have seen! For most of us when we have a problem with a vehicle they know exactly where to look and what to do, since they have seen it before. I guess we have all bought some new replacement part that did not fix our problem only to find out that the new part was defective. Hopefully your NITRO had a defective new part installed during production and replacing that fuse box corrects the issue. Sure would not be the first place most would think, however. Good Luck and thanks for your Post. It could help others.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wasn't the problem

Well, a day after getting the Nitro back, I had to take it in again - with the same problem. They had it a whole week and still struggled to find anything wrong. Finally, they have determined where, but still dont know why. The mechanic decided to run 5amp fuses inline to the ECM, ABS and on top of the transfer case - because all three of these run of the fuse that is blowing. He figures this way the 5amp will blow first and then they'll know where the problem is. Since he done this, I've driven for over a week with no problem! Oh well, at least I have a good local dealer who is working to figure things out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts