Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have been told that the Dodge Nitro engine management chip will constantly throw a "Check Engine" condition if the stock exhaust is modified/replaced...something to do with catalytic convertor sensors :-(

I would like to improve the performance of my '08 Nitro with the addition of a banana-branch and flow-thru exhaust, but hesitate to outlay the $$$ without a viable workaround to the above concern. Is there perhaps a chip on the market that allows for performance tweaks to be happily made to the Nitro?

(I had seen threads on this forum regarding the Jet chips but don't see whether the piggby-back provides support via overriding programming for mods to the exhaust system.)

I am ultimately looking to improve the horsepower of my Nitro...it seems sluggish and I suspect a flow-thru exhaust could greatly improve the responsiveness of the vehicle.

Any help appreciated, thanks
Piet

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just about every mod to mine triggered a "check engine" light if I forgot to reset the PCM. Disconnect the battery ground for 10 minutes and the light goes away.

The Jet chips work fine (still require resetting the PCM after each mod, though), but I've had to use the 90701 Stage 1 chip because sometimes premium (91-93 octane) gasoline is unavailable. With a cold air intake and low-restriction exhaust, it changes the personality of the Nitro considerably - you'll almost certainly see more pickup and (if you keep your foot out of it!) better gas mileage, too.

You will almost certainly hear about wiring resistors into the IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor for additional power - don't bother. While it adds fuel while the engine is warming up (therefore adding a modest amount of power), once the engine is warm the O2 sensor will cut the additional fuel supply back.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts