Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sep 17, 2008

The Dodge Grand Caravan may soon be a part of history, at least according to speculation from parent company Chrysler. The GC, like many duplicate models in Chrysler's portfolio, may be discontinued as Chrysler looks for ways to stop the money loss it has seen this year.

The Caravan, which created the minivan craze 25 years ago, would likely be replaced with a smaller five-passenger mini-minivan (think Mazda5) that will appeal to smaller, more fuel conscious buyers. The Chrysler Town and Country will remain as the traditional minivan choice.

The Dodge Durango will likely live to see another generation, however the Dodge Nitro and Chrysler Aspen SUVs will likely be discontinued.
Jeep will lose the slow-selling Compass and Commander, while the Grand Cherokee will be reformatted into a seven-passenger competitor to the GMC Acadia.

Chrysler is also working on a fix-it plan for the Chrysler Sebring/Dodge Avenger. Both have sold very poorly since introduction, and continue to be dogged by the world's automotive press. It is likely the current models will have a very short life cycle, and will be replaced with a single vehicle. It has yet to be determined if that new vehicle will be a Chrysler or Dodge.

The reason for the product cuts is in the bottom line. Chrysler Corporation is spending $100 million a year promoting and advertising vehicles that compete against each other. That budget needs to be slashed if the company intends on staying afloat while their sales continue to slide.

LINK: Chrysler Hinting at Future Lineup

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
I think that I would discontinue the T&C...simply because if they are going to be offering cheaper verisons of it to sell them, it will only make it harder for Chrysler to seem upscale...

I'd keep the Grand Caravan, and then have the Caravan as a smaller van type thing, but thats just me. THere's no point throwing away the grand caravan name...because people will hear that the Grand Caravan is discontinued, and then assume that Chrysler is not making a minivan any more at all...

I hope that the Avenger/Sebring replacement is a Dodge, as I prefer that styling, and I want an Avenger as my next car, depending on what they do to it in 2010...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts