·
Super Moderator
23,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
23,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes NITRO Members I had to take some pictures of the City named after "Gunpowder" on a vacation trip to the "Outer Banks of N.C"! If you read some of the Links below it was a Town that was Sold to the highest bidder by the U.S Government and had a rocky start just like our favorite SUV. Interesting stuff. Hope you enjoy.

History
The City of Nitro is a War
World I boom town, created by
the U.S. government in 1918 to
manufacture explosives for
the war ...

is located along the Kanawha
River, just off I-64 about 12
miles west of Charleston,
West Virginia

The name Nitro was selected by the Ordnance Department. It was derived from the chemical term Nitro-Cellulose, which identified the type of gunpowder that was to be produced. Another name seriously considered at the time was "Redwop" which was obtained from the reverse spelling of the word powder. LINK:

Other LINKS:

Home Page Nitro, West Virginia 25143 :

City of Nitro - History Built in 1918
Incorporated in 1932

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Hey Rickaren, my wife and I passed Nitro on our trip to Charletsville, VA for Thanksgiving (2010).

Cy

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
April 12, 2012
Nitro man arrested after truck theft

NITRO, W.Va. -- A Nitro man with a history of stealing vehicles was arrested this week.

Nitro police got a report about a stolen 2012 Dodge Ram pickup truck on Wednesday, and traced the vehicle back to Joseph Cristopher Hajj, 31, of Main Avenue, according to Patrolman Ray Blake of the Nitro Police Department. The truck was allegedly parked at Hajj's house.

Officers found Hajj hiding in the attic and arrested him, Blake said. They then discovered Hajj was wanted in Kentucky for grand larceny of an automobile and in Georgia for a probation violation on grand larceny of an auto, he said.

Hajj also has warrants for worthless checks in Kanawha and Putnam counties, Blake said.

Hajj was in the South Central Regional Jail on Thursday awaiting extradition. Blake said more charges are expected.

SOURCE

Would have been a much better news article if he had stolen a "NITRO"!:):):)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts