Dodge Nitro Forum banner

41 - 60 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Re: Aftermarket wheels

NitroON20s said:
i also have 20 aftermarket rims...so i wanted to share that with you guys.

I'm thinking about going 20". What is the type & size of tire you went with... like 245/50/20 or something??? Also what is the factory offset on a 20" wheel and is that what you went with. This info will really help me in my wheel search! Thanks...

·
Registered
53 Posts
nitro-power said:
:cool: The offset on the nitro is suppose to be 40 mm and the bolt parttern is in fact 5 x 4.5..Good shopping.
Are those for sure numbers? I'm looking at going from 16" to 20" and I need to know what I'm shopping for... espesially the offset. Thanks...

·
Registered
53 Posts
wpv123 said:
i'm all set to buy the RT when she comes on the market. However, i really don't like the 20" chrome rims. I'm going to do a swap with the dealer for some 17s.

My question is... does anyone know enough about the gear ratios on the Nitro to know if the RTs ratios will be ok with the 17" rims?

Thanks in advance...

MIke
Why don't you like the 20" rims? Is it just the stock 20's you don't like or that size in general? Let me know because I'm looking for 20's.

·
Registered
53 Posts

fatchance said:
I know this won't go over well, But I hope to pick up a Nitro in Jan or early Feb and will go with 24's.
It will go over well if you don't drive it and just show it or something. If not be sure to by a couple extra rims for when you hit a pot hole... or a pebble... LoL!
Probably want to get a back brace too. You'll probably have to run about 60 lbs. of pressure in those low (no) profile tires. It'll be cool looking... but hard... really, really, hard. I wouldn't go bigger than 20's for every day use. Do yourself a favor and at least back it off to 22's.

·
Registered
53 Posts

NitroON20s said:
Admin why am i seeing this gigathread leach thing?
What exact tire size did you go with? I take it you have zero problems with any rubbing and no tire clearance issues even loaded up going over tracks or speed bumps? I've been shopping for 20's and I'd love to be fully informed.
I was going to hold out and buy some chrome R/T 20's when they were available and stay stock... but I've now heard that the factory R/T 20's offset would not allow them to fit correctly on an SXT. Looks like I'm going custom after all.

·
Registered
56 Posts

top gun said:
... but I've now heard that the factory R/T 20's offset would not allow them to fit correctly on an SXT. Looks like I'm going custom after all.
Now why would that be? Something about the R/T suspension is that much different?

·
Registered
56 Posts
It would be cool to see someone install a wheel/tire combo on a Nitro that wasn't such a bling bling pimp daddy setup but designed more for an all terrean 4x4.
I expect this thing to pull my ATVs into the ORV park or my boat down to the lake. No way in hell anyone will do that with the rims being posted here.

·
Registered
53 Posts
SRTNITRO said:
Keep in mind, the larger you go the more rotating mass will cause loss in MPG, ride quality, increased rim cost, tire cost. A speedometer calibration would need to be done, due to the increase diameter of the wheel, unless you reduce the tire profile enough.
Total aspect ratio is important. You can easily buy the right size tire for a larger rim... one that keeps the same overall height (tire & wheel combined), or so close it doesn't matter, like 99%. The best place I've found is Goggle WebCars! Tire/Wheel compensation calculator. You just put in the size of your stock tires and then enter different "up sizes" for comparison. It will calculate and tell you everything down to your speedometer readings. Example: 225/16/16 can cross over to 245/50/20... 255/45/20... 275/45 or 40/20. As long as this cross over is correct the cost is the only real factor. You'll lose less than a mpg if at all depending on size and you will have greater cornering ability. I will say this though. I would not recommend going over 20 inch rims for anything but a sit in the garage show car. 20 inch is a Nitro R/T stock size and it is still a comfortable ride size and absolutely gorgeous!

·
Registered
53 Posts

AirJunky said:
Now why would that be? Something about the R/T suspension is that much different?
Good question??? I called a Dodge dealer and they hadn't experianced this yet (R/T just now out) all they could tell me is that the hubs & wheel bearings had a different part number. But according to Discount Tire they show the wheel bearing hole size as the same. A seller on ebay tells me it's a different offset situation. So I don't know if it's a hub fit problem, or offset problem, or both... or something else, or nothing. If anyone has more info I'd love to know myself. Thanks...

·
Registered
53 Posts
AirJunky said:
It would be cool to see someone install a wheel/tire combo on a Nitro that wasn't such a bling bling pimp daddy setup but designed more for an all terrean 4x4.
I expect this thing to pull my ATVs into the ORV park or my boat down to the lake. No way in hell anyone will do that with the rims being posted here.
There is such a set up. I've seen it on another Nitro website. It was a red SXT set up more for combined use. The tires were stock size but you could easily (a cheaply) put a more aggressive off road type tire on. The really cool thing was this Nitro had a full light bar right on top of the windshield. Looked cool!

·
Registered
53 Posts

top gun said:
Good question??? I called a Dodge dealer and they hadn't experianced this yet (R/T just now out) all they could tell me is that the hubs & wheel bearings had a different part number. But according to Discount Tire they show the wheel bearing hole size as the same. A seller on ebay tells me it's a different offset situation. So I don't know if it's a hub fit problem, or offset problem, or both... or something else, or nothing. If anyone has more info I'd love to know myself. Thanks...
Now I'm hearing the problem might be that the R/T has larger brakes & calipers. If that's the only issue then there is no issue. You could go to the
20" R/T wheels from a 16" or 17"... you just couldn't go the other way because the brakes would hit the smaller rim. Anyone with more or different info on this?

·
Registered
43 Posts
top gun said:
There is such a set up. I've seen it on another Nitro website. It was a red SXT set up more for combined use. The tires were stock size but you could easily (a cheaply) put a more aggressive off road type tire on. The really cool thing was this Nitro had a full light bar right on top of the windshield. Looked cool!
you can view that nitro with the light bar if u call up dodge nitro images

·
Registered
9 Posts

I've done this before and done right you would be amazed at the ride and comfort. I currently drive a Chrysler 300c with over 44,000 miles, the suspension has been done and I run 22x9 with 255/30/22 front tires and a 2x10 with 295/25/22 rear tires. The ride is outstanding, I always have people compliment the ride of the car. They are simple stunned with the comfort and handling after driving in it. I've already started doing a little homework for the R/T with a 3 piece wheel. Plus I have another advantage I'm in So Cal the OC great weather and good roads.

top gun said:
It will go over well if you don't drive it and just show it or something. If not be sure to by a couple extra rims for when you hit a pot hole... or a pebble... LoL!
Probably want to get a back brace too. You'll probably have to run about 60 lbs. of pressure in those low (no) profile tires. It'll be cool looking... but hard... really, really, hard. I wouldn't go bigger than 20's for every day use. Do yourself a favor and at least back it off to 22's.

·
Registered
53 Posts

fatchance said:
I've done this before and done right you would be amazed at the ride and comfort. I currently drive a Chrysler 300c with over 44,000 miles, the suspension has been done and I run 22x9 with 255/30/22 front tires and a 2x10 with 295/25/22 rear tires. The ride is outstanding, I always have people compliment the ride of the car. They are simple stunned with the comfort and handling after driving in it. I've already started doing a little homework for the R/T with a 3 piece wheel. Plus I have another advantage I'm in So Cal the OC great weather and good roads.
That's cool... you might want to Google the "King of Cars" website. That dealership has what they call chopper edition cars. Pick the Dodge dealership... then new cars... then chopper edition... then Dodge & Nitro. They have some brand new Nitros decked out with 22's. In fact I'm thinking about getting the Double G in 20" that they have in 22" on their white SXT. Take a look at the 22's on the Nitro before you jump to the 24's.

·
Registered
53 Posts
wpv123 said:
i'm all set to buy the RT when she comes on the market. However, i really don't like the 20" chrome rims. I'm going to do a swap with the dealer for some 17s.

My question is... does anyone know enough about the gear ratios on the Nitro to know if the RTs ratios will be ok with the 17" rims?

Thanks in advance...

MIke
As long as you go up accordingly to a 65 series tire the total aspect ratio (wheel & tire) would be the same... so that wouldn't affect anything. On comfort it miiiight be a sliiiiiiiight bit softer (more sidewall and lower tire pressure settings) but you would also lose some hard cornering handling.

·
Registered
9 Posts

I've seen the 22's on the Nitro when I was out at SEMA, they look good, but I like the extreme look of the 24. If I decide to get the Nitro I will have a set of Intro Wheels -ID 3 piece made, that will reduce the wieght of the wheels. But, nothings for sure, until I get the Nitro then see what will work best.

top gun said:
That's cool... you might want to Google the "King of Cars" website. That dealership has what they call chopper edition cars. Pick the Dodge dealership... then new cars... then chopper edition... then Dodge & Nitro. They have some brand new Nitros decked out with 22's. In fact I'm thinking about getting the Double G in 20" that they have in 22" on their white SXT. Take a look at the 22's on the Nitro before you jump to the 24's.

·
Registered
53 Posts
id_Nitro said:
we have put 22" wheels/tire packages on nitro's already, actually have been using the same offset as the chrysler 300/charger/magnum.. with that package you get alittle larger tire (265-35-22) opposed to the (255-30-22)
..i have pics.. but cant post them... im a newbie.. i can email is someone would like..
What's that offset # ???

·
Registered
53 Posts
CGS Motorsports said:
The Candy Red and Black Nitro is ours. We built it for the 2006 SEMA in Vegas and won the Daimler Chrysler Design Excellence Award with it. It has 22"x8.5" wheels with 5 1/4" backspacing. We manufacture a complete Cat-Back Exhaust System and Air Intake System for the Nitro 3.7L . Check us out on the web CGS Motorsports.
If you were going with 20's on an 8.5" rim what offset would you recommend on an Nitro SXT? Most seem to be going with 25-35mm. Stock is 40mm. I've heard a range that works well is 18-35mm. I'm looking at the BOSS #316, it only comes in a 40mm offset... and the American Racing "Crush", it only comes in a 18mm offset. Any ideas or opinions that might help??? Also what size tire on the 20"?

·
Registered
53 Posts
wpv123 said:

Thanks in advance...

MIke
Chrome? Don't swap with the dealer... Sell 'em to me!!!

41 - 60 of 120 Posts