Dodge Nitro Forum banner

41 - 60 of 133 Posts

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Dll. The agressive bumper reflects agressive European driving. I'm originally from the UK and have driven all over Europe so have first hand experience as any US Serviceman who served over there can confirm. I think particularly about the Italians. lol Heini, do you tow a caravan? How is the Diesel for towing?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hello, jhnhopkins!

Yes, I have towed a Caravan (sold the Beginning of this Year) with a Weight of 1.1 Tons (2420 lb) with Anti-tumbling-Clutch (from Westfalia AKS). No problems in any way. Official Speed Limit has been 100km/h (62mph). A little bit more Diesel is used (around 15% more), but the Power in Acceleration is marvellous! I should add that I have got the 6-Speed-Manual-Shift.
Also no Problems with Tumbling or sth else, but as you know, this depends also very much on how the Caravan has been loaded. I am always using the maximum Hitch Load which has been 100kg (220 lb) and loading as much as possible near the Axle and not too high "upstairs" in the caravan.

BY the Way: This Photo displays the Original european SE-Trim.

Aggressive Driving in Europe? I have worked some Months in US, Mexico and Canada and must say, that the Traffic in US and CDN is flowing very "harmless" normally (I think you understand what I mean, don't know the correct Word: a Mixture of calm, homogen, slow, boring, making tired, ...). Traffic in big Mexican Cities is... o la la... horrible is a good Word from my Point of View, I think. European People have got very different Characters.
In General, People from the South have got more Temperament, are more Cotnrolled by their Emotions, and they let their Emotions "flow". The more you get North, the more the People are rational. You can see this also in the Way of Driving. Let's say the Southern European People are driven by Temperament. ;)
In Gemany we have additonally the High Speed Areas on the Autobahn. No Problem to drive with our Truck around 200km/h (125mph) for longer Distances (but maybe we have got aother Springs and Dampers...). So there are much People Driving even with more Speed, and sure, when you are not used to this Way of Driving, there will be much Surprises.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I hate day running lights. One of the most stupide things in modern cars. Had it programmed out of my 2008 SXT european modell.

Some tuning parts from Vmaxx and Startech do have poor quality. Better stick with original Mopar Parts and there is a guy in Germany named Tomgan who really knows the Nitro and produces some high quality stainless parts and useful engine parts for the 2.8 CRD.

Germany is a dangerous highway country. Most don't have speed limits and some egoists really drive too fast. But every country in Europe is different. Here in Austria we have 130 km/h limit.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
I hate day running lights. One of the most stupide things in modern cars. Had it programmed out of my 2008 SXT european modell.

Some tuning parts from Vmaxx and Startech do have poor quality. Better stick with original Mopar Parts and there is a guy in Germany named Tomgan who really knows the Nitro and produces some high quality stainless parts and useful engine parts for the 2.8 CRD.

Germany is a dangerous highway country. Most don't have speed limits and some egoists really drive too fast. But every country in Europe is different. Here in Austria we have 130 km/h limit.
I had 2 business trips to Austria in the Fall of 2009. What I beautiful country. I did not get to drive but rode from Vienna to Graz numerous times in a BMW X3 diesel.
:cool:

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had 2 business trips to Austria in the Fall of 2009. What I beautiful country. I did not get to drive but rode from Vienna to Graz numerous times in a BMW X3 diesel.
Thx. Yes, Austria is beautiful. But there are many great places in the world. I loved the USA, Canada and Mexico. I like the american way of life, the mentality, BBQs and american cars.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi, ParadiseSeeker,

Yeah, Austria is a beautiful Country, no Doubts!

I am surprised that your MY 2008 has got DRL. In Germany this has not been a Serial Equipment, and even not an extra Euqipment. First Time I hear that it was mounted in a Nitro as original Equipment.
Liking DRL or not doesn't matter anymore, because from Feb 2011 they are obligatory in new Cars sold from that Date on in the EC.

With your Info about TOMGAN you are absolutely right. He does a Top Job! I have pesonally seen very much of him in between. If somebody likes to look on his Web Page: tomgan de. And by the Way: The Chrome parts from Hansen Styling make often Problems in Winter when Salt is used on the Streets. Until today, I have not heard about Problems with Vmaxx-Parts even on three Years old Cars.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone know how to check if your Dodge Nitro has a Diesel Particle Filter (DPF)

Hi,

I'm a newbie and glad to be part of the Forum. I have a Dodge Nitro SXT 2.8l CRD, Electric Blue. Does anyone know how to verify if their Nitro has a Diesel Particle Filter (DPF) as I hear this determines the kind of oil you should use. I have seen this can be determined in some other models in the Dodge stable by checking the VIN. Is it the same for the Nitro? If so what should I be looking for?

Your expertise is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hello, Joe2011,

unfortunately I do not know where you live. In Germany it is remarkable under some Key Numbers in the Car's Documents.

I will check for it and take Pictures. Please give me some Time to replay. My Nitro has got a Diesel Particle Filter

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hello, Joe2011,

here are two Pictures of an Exhaust System with DPF.
- open the Hood
- Then move to the left (which is the right Side from our Truck)
- and look in

You should see this with a DPF:

A little bit nearer

The big Pot in the Exhaust System is the DPF.
I assume, that without DPF there will only be a Tube.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Heini-bu!

I have checked under the hood and the part which looks like a pot is there confirming it does have a DPF!:D Thanks a million Heini-bu, I really appreciate your quick response, this is a great Forum, you are best!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi, Joe2011,

don't forget that - with a DPF - the Choice for Motor Oil is restricted to 5W30 or better due to Chrysler MS-11106, but always "low ash" oil

·
Registered
12 Posts

hi my name is lucie.bought a nitro 57 plate 2 months ago,it a 2,8 crd automatic.liking cars that are different this is.just had an ecu remap now giving 225 bhp and torque of 368 ft/lbs.now to sort out handling ,just ordered bilstein shocks and eibach lowering springs and new wheels and tyres.need to get rid of goodyear tyres that r on it now,bloody awful in the wet.been very happy with it up to now.only problem it seems to have is the gearbox doesnt always like using 5th gear maybe the remap because of torque increase only seems to do when been on a long run though.any thoughts?.anyway will get pics up when mods done.thanks all the way from u.k

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Welcome to the forums! :)

Cy

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There have been conversations on this forum that describe the results of the lowering springs making the ride awful! Let us know how this modification works out for you. In the states, all of the 2011 Nitro's have 20" wheels with a "performance suspension". From what I can determine, this is thicker anti roll bars, and stiffer bushings. Mine runs pretty stiff - probably has more to do with the low profile 20" tires than the suspension, but it handles well. When it is time to change my tires, I will look into going one size larger - stock is P245/50R20 - maybe 255's. This would give a little more sidewall, and maybe smooth out the ride somewhat. I do not know if there would be a clearance issue, though.
:cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
hi.yes in the u.k the spec is standard 20 inch rims ,leather seats cruise control etc on the sxt.the tyres are awful though we r putting new wheels and tyres on the tyres are 255/45/20 it does have the sports suspension as standard also but we fancy the bilstein set up instead,but not lowering at minute due to not being able to get springs until september,so will try new shocks and standard springs.will post photos soon .its the sunburst orange colour which i think is lovely.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Welcome from Northwest Indiana. Nice to see a new face round' here. Not that anything is wrong with the old faces guys. lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
HI

Hello and welcome.I Also got a diesel nitro and loving it:rolleyes:,have some modifications to do on it yet ,will post some pics as soon it is done.

XO Miss Nitro from SWEDEN:D

41 - 60 of 133 Posts