Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi! I want to upgrade my 2008 SXT with the Mopar heated seats but without this new switches that came with the kit and would be located in front of the cup holders. The heated seats should be controlled at the OEM switch panel in the center console. I already ordered the new OEM switch panel with the heated seats switches.

I need to order the harness and the seat control unit. But for this I need the VIN of a Nitro (2008), that came with factory heated seats. Can someone please send me his 2008 R/T VIN? Or can someone help me with the part numbers for the parts I need to combine the Mopar heated seats kit with the OEM switch panel and computer?

Help please.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
I looked into doing it this way, also. I have yet to come up with an answer. The aftermarket Mopar heater kit is 3 way - low, medium, high. The factory kit is only 2 way - low or high. This tells me there might be a different resistor for each kit. No one has been able to answer this for me, so I do not know if a factory harness would work with the Mopar kit. That is why I have not ordered the Mopar kit yet, or the factory switch panel. If you can get the factory harness, let me know if it is compatible with the Mopar kit. Thank you.

:cool:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After a week in a Dodge dealers garage I have to say ... it's not possible at all. The OEM heated seats system communicates over the CAN-bus which doesn't accept aftermarket solutions at all.

The Mopar kit is an autarchic system which only connects to the power at the cigar lighter. From the quality it's the worst you can get. Just look at the cheap and stupide looking switches, which are installed by drilling a hole into the center console in front of the shift knob and with an adhesive tape. I would never do this to my Nitro.

I ordered 2 versions of the OEM switch panel, one with and one without the heated seats and will try to bypass the OEM heater switches with the Mopar harness, without having any contact with the CAN-bus.

Dodge didn't think of owners who want to upgrade their Nitro with OEM stuff at all. My SXT has no harness or even plugs to connect a OEM heated seats kit or aftermarket kit with the car. I thought, regardless of the modell, there is one universal harness. But they built a different harness for each version and each option. Thats crazy.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
After a week in a Dodge dealers garage I have to say ... it's not possible at all. The OEM heated seats system communicates over the CAN-bus which doesn't accept aftermarket solutions at all.

The Mopar kit is an autarchic system which only connects to the power at the cigar lighter. From the quality it's the worst you can get. Just look at the cheap and stupide looking switches, which are installed by drilling a hole into the center console in front of the shift knob and with an adhesive tape. I would never do this to my Nitro.

I ordered 2 versions of the OEM switch panel, one with and one without the heated seats and will try to bypass the OEM heater switches with the Mopar harness, without having any contact with the CAN-bus.

Dodge didn't think of owners who want to upgrade their Nitro with OEM stuff at all. My SXT has no harness or even plugs to connect a OEM heated seats kit or aftermarket kit with the car. I thought, regardless of the modell, there is one universal harness. But they built a different harness for each version and each option. Thats crazy.
This is exactly what I was thinking, after I posted. I didn't even think of the CAN-bus being an issue, but I did think that the 2 version of heaters (factory and Mopar) could be made by different companies and therefore, the harnesses and switches would not be compatible. I did see that Katzkin does offer a heated seat option, but I did not see a picture, etc. and they do seem to be rather expensive.

I am trying to upgrade my radio, but since it works through the CAN-bus also, I am very limited as to what will work, even though all of the radios look alike.

The switch panel with the seat heaters, I believe, has one power connection, with a printed circuit board inside. If this is the case, you'll have to figure out how to isolate the circuits within the switch. Keep me informed as you progress with this project.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Buy the Katzkin heated seats instead of the Mopar. Much better quality and really nice switches. I'm stuck now and really don't know how to finish the installation without using these Mopar switches.

Here is the OEM switch panel without the rear parking assistance button:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I found some interesting company, which seems to have the same heating kit as offered from Katzkin. The kits come with really nice looking switches. They write, that it's even possible to use the OEM heater switches. Shit on the Mopar kit!

http://www.heatedseatkits.com/overview.html

Correctly installed into your car's seat, our Seat Heating Systems will radiate comfort and warmth, enhancing your driving experience for many years to come! Already have heater seats installed in the driver and passenger seats? You can even install our heater seat kits in the back seats as well! You have the choice of either using the switch that is include in our package or if you are electrically inclined you can even purchase and install the oem heater seat switch from your dealer.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
At work ...

What is the function of "3-position light switch"? I know what the other switches control, but I have not seen this switch. It appears that the switches you received are the same size as the seat switches in the panel. Are these the switches that came with the Mopar kit, or some of the others you mentioned in the other thread? Just curious, as I am getting close to doing my seats.

Also, when you are done, can you post a picture with the new switches in place?

Thank you.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The 3-position light switch is for adjusting the vertical angle of the front lights.

There was only one combined switch that came with the Mopar kit. It didn't work with that. But the production company Checkcorp also has a set of two switches ... and luckily these are almost the same size as the switches in the switch panel.

This is the switch that came with the Mopar kit:

I ordered these single switches at Checkcorp and used them on the switch panel:

I also ordered these classic switches there, but they were too deep to install the on the switch panel:

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
3 pos switch

The 3 pos switch I take it is for trailer towing?

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
The 3-position light switch is for adjusting the vertical angle of the front lights.
The 3 pos switch I take it is for trailer towing?
This could be true, as the weight of a trailer could raise the front end of the Nitro. However, there used to be laws in some European countries where you could not use headlights at night within the city. There was an extra small white light to use in the city where there were streetlights, sort of like our "parking" lights, but using a separate bulb. I don't know what the wattage would be, but obviously brighter that our "parking" bulbs. Since the Nitro headlamp assemblies were not designed to accept this extra bulb, possibly this is what the switch is for - to change the aim of the headlights from long range to short range. Just a wild guess on my part. Maybe paradiseseeker will read this an enlighten us on this fact!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Since the Nitro headlamp assemblies were not designed to accept this extra bulb, possibly this is what the switch is for - to change the aim of the headlights from long range to short range.
The european Nitro version has a separate parking light bulb included in the headlight assembly. I can make some pictures. But this has nothing to do with this vertical angle front light switch or with a country specific car day-light (DRLs).

There was an extra small white light to use in the city where there were streetlights, sort of like our "parking" lights, but using a separate bulb.
In some countries new cars must have this special car day-light (DRLs). But thank god we don't have this crazy law here in Austria.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Excellent job with the seat heater switches. When I get my leather, I will have them install the heater pads but I am going to do the wiring. I like the way you did it, and I will refer to your post when I am ready to do this.

Over here, some cars have DRL's - daylight running lights. Many manufacturers choose to use a different light:
1. high beam with less intensity
2. low beam
3. turn signal - bright
4. fog lamp.
It is not a requirement in the US, so Mopar does not put it on their cars in the US. I believe it is a requirement in Canada. We can have the dealer turn these on with the computer telling the car it is in Canada!

Can you explain the purpose of being able to aim the headlights in 3 positions?

·
Premium Member
719 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
This makes sense. Is this all of Europe or just Austria?
It's for all the Nitro export models. Austria is a small country with very few Dodge owners. They would never make a special version only for us. We get the same models as Germany, which has a larger market for SUVs.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts