Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How to replace the alternator on a 1995 Dodge Avenger ES?

How to replace the alternator on a 1995 Dodge Avenger ES?

·
Premium Member
719 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi.

I am trying to find out if the 2008 model has a Variable Voltage Alternator fitted.

I have the 2.8 Ltr Turbo Diesel released in Australia.

Any info appreciated

Thank You.

Geoff.

·
Super Moderator
23,128 Posts
The above Links are of no help since the 2.8 Ltr Turbo Diesel released in Australia was never sold in the USA..

·
Super Moderator
23,128 Posts

Published on Oct 22, 2016

Installing some fuse blocks and cleaning up some wires and a look at the new alternator

·
Registered
1 Posts
External Voltage Regulator 08 Nitro Troubleshooting

After replacing the alternator and battery in my moms 2008 Dodge Nitro, we discovered it was the voltage regulator that was shot. Since it is inconveniently located inside the vehicles computer, the cost to simply replace the whole thing is too great, I went looking for alternatives. We stumbled across an external voltage regulator kit which is supposed to be preprogrammed to 14.3 volts. We got everything installed per directions, however, now it runs way to high at times reaching 19 volts. Does anyone have any experience, suggestions or resources they could share? Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
23,128 Posts
Kelsea Skaggs

This is a new one. Sorry to hear of your problem. So if I understand the Nitro voltage regulator is not part of the alternator? Automatic Voltage Stabilizer Regulator you have must be defective, right? Are you sure the replacement alternator is not defective too?

Not of any help from me.

I found:

"On the Nitro, the voltage regulator is built into the alternator. It is under the black cover on the back."

"It doesn't happen often, but it is possible that you may have purchased an alternator with a bad regulator. Especially if it was a refurbished part. Refurbished parts sometimes get damaged due to shoddy workmanship, or damaged in shipping.

You can replace just the regulator itself, but it is usually more cost effective just to buy a completely new alternator. In your case, I would be contacting whoever I bought it from and request a refund, or an even swap for a good unit."

"The voltage regulator
is internally grounded, so make sure the mounting bolts are clean and tight."

TIPM Repair, Test, and Bypass Solutions

·
Registered
2 Posts
Alternator/starting issue.

First issue: as I was driving I noticed smoke coming from my*engine and a nasty rubber smell, I pulled over checked under the hood my alternator was extremely hot and pumping out smoke, being only about 15km from my house I unplugged the alternator in Hope's that the remaining life in the battery would get me to my driveway, unfortunately it didnt my entire vehicle shut down/died and I was forced to call a tow. When he showed up the vehicle was completely drained he put a booster pack on it just to get the vehicle into neutral but he did not attempt to start it just putting power to move it from park to neutral, also the previous night I heard a screeching and whine noise from the front end that increased when I accelerated.nothing overheated or any and the sound diminished while driving. Heard it again this morning when I left..... So I'm guessing my alternator seized or is fried? The alternator pulley will rotate when I pull on the belt. But is my battery also shot?*

Second issue: At my driveway I attempt to start the vehicle to put the front windows up, we hooked a running vehicle to my battery with cables(cheap ones from a road kit that came with the jeep) the dash lit up my headlights came on, I attempt to put the windows up and the front windows wont go up, I check the back and they work fine up and down. So I attempt to start the vehicle and it wouldn't even roll over just the one click noise of a dead battery then nothing. I attempt once more and my friend yells that the wires are melting. We stop everything remove wires and my alternator is so hot I cant touch it.*
Today I attempt to put the vehicle into neutral from the park position again I need to hook a running vehicle battery up to mine.... when I turn the key(NOT ATTEMPTING TO CRANK OVER) just putting power to the computer to get it to neutral....I attempt to put it in gear and roll the windows up the cables again start to smoke alternator hot again. What the HELL
Questions:
-Did i not leave the batter to charge long enough and the cables being cheap caused them to melt under load?*
- is a possible diode blown in the alternator and drawing power directly from the running vehicles battery causing an overload of power that causes the cables to melt?
-Why in the hell wont my front windows work was there possibly a major power surge and fried my components? As stated above the cluster lights up the vehicle displays all light up headlights work when attached to the running vehicle, just no front window control.

Please excuse the huge write up but I figure more information is better then less.

·
Super Moderator
23,128 Posts
Great post! Very complete! Well it is clear you need a new battery plus a voltage regulator that should be included. We had another member that had an issue this year External Voltage Regulator 08 Nitro Troubleshooting with the regulator that might be your issue too. Too early to tell what has been damaged but you have to start somewhere. Good Luck and keep us informed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So is the voltage regulator built into the alternator? I've torn out the alternator and the pulley was stiff, got it to rotate but it's in bad condition thats for sure.

·
Super Moderator
23,128 Posts
What are the symptoms related to a bad alternator?

If the alternator fails, the dashboard battery warning light will turn on while you drive. Soon after, all electrical components will begin to lose power, the vehicle will stall, and a jump start won't work. If the alternator's bearing fails, it can cause a grinding noise that changes with engine speed.

How are alternator issues diagnosed?

When there is any failure in the starting and charging system, the entire system must be tested. Repair shops use professional test equipment that checks every component simultaneously and definitively. If the alternator is the problem, it will be identified.

On the Nitro, the voltage regulator is built into the alternator. It is under the black cover on the back.

·
Super Moderator
23,128 Posts
Dual alternator setup in a Dodge nitro

May 25, 2019
Dodge nitro 2007 4.0l r/t
Mechman 240amp
Singer 320amp
Transpo 911-02r adjustable external regulator ( on the singer 320)

·
Super Moderator
23,128 Posts
2007 dodge nitro alternator replacement pt.1

Jun 6, 2019
Dodge nitro 2007 alternator replacement

Jun 9, 2019
Dodge nitro alternator replacement

1 - 15 of 15 Posts