Dodge Nitro Forum banner

41 - 60 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
engine downshifts/ dies/restarts while driving

UDATE: 1-30-2007. I BROUGHT MY O7 DODGE NITRO INTO THE DODGE DEALERSHIP AGAIN FOR THE THIRD TIME SO THEY COULD INSTALL THE NEW TICM MODULE. THEY SAID THAT A TECHNICAL BULLETIN WAS PUT OUT ON THE BELOW MENTIONED PROBLEM AND THE SOLUTION WAS TO CHANGE OUT THIS TICM MODULE. TOMORROW I WILL LOG BACK IN AND GIVE YOU THE MODULE OR PART NUMBER IN CASE IT CAN BE USED FOR SOMEONE ELSES CONVENIENCE AND PIECE OF MIND. I STILL DON'T KNOW IF THIS WILL HELP OUT MY NITRO. IT SEEMS THAT THE TWO TIMES THAT IT HAS HAPPENED HAS BEEN AROUND THE 3,000 MILE AND 6,000 MILE INTERVALS. I CURRENTLY HAVE ABOUT 6,500 MILES AND WILL DEFINITELY LET YOU KNOW AND THE DEALERSHIP KNOW IF IT HAPPENS AGAIN.

:confused:
MY 2007 DODGE NITRO SLT, WHILE DRIVING 60-65 MPH, OUT OF NOWHERE THE ENGINE LIGHTS COME ON...SOUNDS LIKE THE VEHICLE IS SHUT OFF THEN COMES BACK ON BY ITSELF. THIS HAS HAPPENED TWICE. BROUGHT TO DEALER AND FIRST TIME THEIR WERE NO CODES, THE SECOND TIME THEIR WAS A CODE AND THEY TRACED IT BACK SAYING THAT THE VEHICLE ACTUALLY DOWNSHIFTS FROM THIRD TO SECOND GEAR ON ITS OWN!!!! A MODULE IS ON ORDER TO SEE IF THIS WILL TAKE CARE OF THE PROBLEM. THEY SAY THAT THIS HAS HAPPENED TO OTHERS. the engine seems to lose power and then i get it back.

HAS ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM? THANKS

·
Registered
162 Posts
Re: engine downshifts/ dies/restarts while driving

:hello, This Is The Module Number That Dodge Dealership Changed Out For My Problem. #8035027. They Replaced The Tipm And Reconfigured The Tipm To My Dodge Nitro On 1-29-07.

·
Registered
24 Posts

after 6k miles of use now I am noticing those problems with the transmission, and also my car just when off and on while driving in the highway one time like a week ago, also the front windows when crazy, some times they dont want to go down and the auto mode does not work or work by going half up or half down, its like shit ...I have only 4 months with the car and it started giving problems !!!

·
Registered
162 Posts

AS FOR THE WINDOW PROBLEM YOU HAVE, MINE ARE OKAY BUT I DID HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY DRIVERS SIDE DOOR LOCK ACTUATOR. AFTER LOCKING MY DOORS EITHER MANUALLY OR WITH THE REMOTE, THIS IS WHAT WOULD HAPPEN.....WHEN USING THE REMOTE TO OPEN ALL THE DOORS, THE DRIVERS SIDE DOOR LOCK ACTUATOR WOULD NOT RESPOND. ALL IT WOULD DO WAS SOMETHING LIKE THE "JITTERBUG" (hesitate) AND AFTER PRESSING DOWN ON THE REMOTE A FEW MORE TIMES IT WOULD OPEN OR EVEN SOMETIMES IT WOULD NOT OPEN AT ALL. HAD TO OPEN WITH MY KEY.

BROUGHT MY BLUE SLT NITRO TO THE DEALERSHIP AND THEY ORDERED ME A NEW DOOR LOCK ACTUATOR. WHEN INSTALLING THE NEW ONE, THEY FOUND OUT THAT THERE WAS AN O-RING THAT COULD BE TAKEN OUT TO ALLOW MORE TRAVEL ON THE ACTUATOR ACCORDING TO ITS SPECS. THEY WENT AHEAD AND CHANGED OUT THE ENTIRE ACTUATOR SINCE THEY ORDERED IT SPECIFICALLY FOR MY NITRO.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: Auto Trans Issues (threads merged)

New recall to replace tourque converter. I've been notified by Dodge - Part is on back order.

·
Registered
1 Posts
re: Transmission Problem?

I have 3400 miles on mine and the inside drivers door handle doesnt work! And sitting in a parking lot idling for 5mins my baby stalled! Weird thing is no warning lights came on when this happened!

·
Registered
162 Posts

well My Friends, So Far I Have Almost 7,500 Miles On My Blue Slt Nitro Since Dodge Dealership Installed The New Tipm Wireing Harness On It And Cross My Fingers And Toes......all Is Well For Now. Will Keep All Informed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
re: Transmission Problem?

I think you've already gave a good reason... 11 year old van and 20+ year old Volvo wagon . I looked at it this way. SUV's are safe, have a lot of room, are trendy (you'll look good in it) and the Nitro (especially) in the 2 wheel drive version will get you decent mileage. My Nitro SXT 2WD for example will go up to 24/25 mpg on the freeway and averages about 21 mpg.
They're also fun to drive... not big and boaty.
Hope you work out a deal and thanks for the turn signal info. I'm sure it was appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Transmission Failed

Seven days of bliss paid for on the eighth day...
Picked up my New SLT last Thursday. Today I limped it back to a local dodge dealer with the auto transmission using only 1 and 2nd gears...
While in Drive, the transmission would cycle through 1st and then 2nd..Once in second, at about 2500rpm'sm the trans would shift to neutral. The check engine light came on...

The dealer has determind from the computer read, "something internal has failed within the transmission, and it now needs repair or replace...

ARGH!!!

The truck is 7 days old with less than 1000 miles...

I will also comment that prior to failing, this transmission ran "ODD", fighting for shift points, an intermittent "studder" at highway speeds (something I originally thought was due to frost cracks and ridges on our Canaidian roads). I've read other comments about this studder and potential Transmission issues, and would like to here from others...

I never pushed the truck - babied it really, duing the first few days... Crap, I only had it a few days...

Any members know the "lemon Laws" here in Canada??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: trans

sdoormannn said:
yes i have had mine now for 3 weeks,same problem, there is a fix out for this , just got mine fixed,if u call dealership and give them these #'s they will fix it under warranty= tsb#18-037-06,
there is also a problem with some having thottle body leak the tsb# for this is 09-009-06, they fixed mine no problem they didnt know about them yet ,trans much better,smoother shifting to.

one thing i am having a problem with is engine surging under light throttle currious if u are having that problem?

thanks,bill
i am having the same problem with engine surging around 40 mph. i was told it was the torque convertor but i do not believe them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: 25-30mph shuddering

I have been having the same problem and thanks to this forum, I called my dealership and found that there is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) for this issue. I describe mine as feeling like I am driving over rumble strips. The dealer confirmed that the TSB will fix the problem - it may not just be a reflash, you likely will have to have your torque converter replaced. Mine is on back order as of yesterday. Sorry, I don't know the TSB number but I can tell you that it was just revised again on 2/10/07. Definitely call your dealership. I also had a vibration at 40-45 and found out that my Nitro had a manufacturing defect in the front differential - it was something the Dana acknowledged that they had a problem on the assembly line. If you want more information on that, I can get it - I purchased my Nitro in December so it may affect those built around the same time as mine (I can get that info too, if interested). Good Luck!!

·
Registered
2 Posts

I experience the same shuddering at the 40 mph range but my nitro is 2 wheel drive. i was told that the torque converter is just engaging and diengaging at that speed for fuel economy purposes, sounds like a lot of smoke. becauese of this forum i will definatly take my car in.

·
Registered
110 Posts

Yep take it in , your dealer is definitely handing you something other than the straight skinny on this. There are 2 TSB put out by DCX on this problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts

ResumeSpeed,

Thank you so much for this link! I am hoping it will help me with my Nitro's hesitation/bucking issue although I had my torque converter changed out in Jan 2007.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I have had my Nitro since 11/25/06. I noticed around 200 miles (purchased with 100 miles on it) that it seemed to not engage quite right going up slight inclines. Then I began to notice that it did it on a straight away too, between 35-45 mph (400 miles), it would hesitate/buck while maintaining a steady speed. Called and made an appointment with my "wonderful" dealership. They preformed the update TSB 18-037-06 in Dec 2006. This just made the problem worse because it now did the hesitation/bucking at all speeds.

I called again and was told after waiting 4 days for STAR to get back to the dealership that I need to continue to drive it until it had 1200 miles. It was at 1100 the day they told me this. So Christmas goes by and I call the day after, still doing it. They ordered a torque converter which was installed Jan 19th. It basically behaved for another 400 miles and it started all over again.

I call again in Feb and have to wait 2 days for STAR to get back to them. I am now told that I have to bring it in and drive it with a tech to make sure I am keeping steady pressure on the gas pedal. I guess they assumed that it must be me not the vehicle. So I play by their rules, (PA lemon law requires 3 visits for the same issue) and take it in. The tech drove and recreated the problem and would call STAR the next morning. In the meantime my tech admitted that the 3.7 liter is not the correct engine for the Nitro, it has to work harder because it is bigger than the Liberty. And he also said he thought they didn't know what to do with my vehicle because STAR was stating it isn't a national problem. Based on this forum, I’d have to say they were lying.

After a day of diagnostic tests, I am given the solution of "THIS IS NORMAL TO THIS VEHICLE". So I am pursuing the Lemon Law statutes of my state.

DaimlerChryler’s customer service is Horrible, between waiting 10 minutes to speak to a person who only can tell you that they have noted it and it will be passed along. I haven’t heard from them on my 2nd or 3rd complaints so far. I also have the misfortune to have an even worse dealership when it comes to customer service, let alone satisfaction.

If anyone does get a solution, please post it. It might just help!!

·
Registered
4 Posts

Do you mean TICM? Also, did this happen when below freezing? When mine cut out it was around freezing....snowing hard.

·
Registered
162 Posts

hello, It May Have Been Ticm....things Were So Frustrating At The Time That It May Not Have Registered Completely In My Little Brain. As Far As The Weather, I Live Around Lake Charles, Louisiana, And At The Time The Temperature For The "first" Time It Happened Was Around 75 F. The Second Time Was Around Say...50 F.
The Humidity Was Between 50-90 For The Both. Thankyou For Your Response. I Hope That This Information Will Help You. Also, As Of Today, I Have 9,102 Miles On My Blue 2007 Dodge Nitro Slt And It's Problem So Far Has Not Happened. The Dealership Is Mark Dodge, Located In Lake Charles, Louisiana. The Telephone Number Is 337-474-2640. They Are The Ones That Installed The New Module And I Have Been Real Impressed With Their Attention Towards The Solving Of This Problem.......thanks Again...............mcnabb

·
Registered
2 Posts

I have experienced the same problem also and was told the same as you. It seems to me that this is a huge problem for chrysler and it is more cost effective for them to lose us as a customer than to fix all of the nitros.If anyone has used the lemon law on this vehicle please post it.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Oh man, I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about my Nitro now! I've been having the trans shudder since putting around 400 miles on it and now with 3300 miles I was finally told that the solution was to replace the torque converter. I have an appointment tomorrow to get it replaced, but after reading these post I'm more than a little concerned. This will be the fourth time that the dealer's had the truck, and if it's not fixed, permanently, I'll be filing for relief under FL's lemon law.

41 - 60 of 165 Posts