Dodge Nitro Forum banner

121 - 140 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well, the new torque converter got installed on friday (yes, it was the new model converter)! I believe there must be a "break-in" period, because for the first 150 miles, the torque converter seemed almost RELUCTANT to engage! But soon after 150 miles on the new converter, it started acting properly! Now, except for some minor miscues and occasional little grumbles, she's shifting beautifully!!! And now I rarely even touch the Tow/Haul switch!!!

:cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
head lites

what about the head lights, anyone have a problem with them. Mine only shine about 25' down the road. On back roads its almost impossible to see anything.
have the same problem dealer would not fix, purchased better bulbs and this helped. but i have had many problems thes vehicles ar in my opinion a disASTER. poor gas milage broken seats trans noise in 1st gear,park brake boot 4th repair and failed next day(zipper)heater ,cold air at drivers right. heater quit alltogether. dealer fixed but stiil cold air problem.trans wont always shiftinto 1st on steep driveway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tans problems

Does anyone else notice that the auto trans seems to have a hard time finding the right gear sometimes? It feel as though (when decelerating) that it almost skips a gear and makes the change feel a lot harsher.
Get it checked quick. Mine started doing the same thing. I took it to the dealer and they told me I was lucky to make it there. The planetary gear came apart.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has any one had any luck getting these problems solved? I am having very similar problems with my transmission and have been to the dealer 5 times! the kicker was that the service department agreed there was a problem with hard shifting and shuddering, but they did not have a "fix" for it so i should come back in 30 days. Now that they have there precious TSB from Auburn Hills and replaced the torque converter the problem is worse. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
23,346 Posts
Has any one had any luck getting these problems solved? I am having very similar problems with my transmission and have been to the dealer 5 times! the kicker was that the service department agreed there was a problem with hard shifting and shuddering, but they did not have a "fix" for it so i should come back in 30 days. Now that they have there precious TSB from Auburn Hills and replaced the torque converter the problem is worse. Anyone have any ideas?
Well if it makes anyone feel better my Wife's 06 Ford Explorer V8 AT w/ OD (6 speed) had shifting problems all along and has received several (5 or 6 at least) "flash" up-grades. Finally after 30,000 miles Ford got it right with their last fix and now it does not break your neck sometimes when you almost stop then take off. It now even get better gas mileage! Was not a real concern for me (but for her) since it had extended warranty of 7/100,000, but did think that Ford might just give up and were never going to get it right.

I don't know that Chrysler will finally solve all the issues (have none with my 5 speed R/T 4.0 however) but it could happen and yes other SUV's have transmission issues too, not just Dodge with their Nitro.

Every-time we took the Explorer in for service we would complain (put on RO)about the transmission issue and they really wanted to fix it and would check for any up-dates. They even call the Factory about our problems, gave us a car to drive and kept it for about a week. Still was not right. One time the the Service Department could not believe their had been two TSBs issued on it in less than 30 days, and yes neither corrected our complaint. So hang in there and have it put in writing every-time you have it serviced that you have transmission issues, and Good Luck, you are not the only one, so that should help in solving this issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Trans update

After pursuing my issues with my trans further I brought my nitro to another dealer. this new dealer was very helpful and called in Chrysler engineers to trouble shoot the issues. I should state that they called me back in after about a week with a new update that should of fixed the problem. Well I already had that one performed and it did nothing. So after extensive test driving and taking recordings from the computer. the solution that they came up with was to reroute the exhaust due to improper routing at the factory, loosen all motor and trans mounts including the cross member that supports the trans, let everything settle and then re torque to factory specs. this was all done due to a possible issue with the original assembly and improper placement of the engine.(supposedly there was an issue with how the engine was fitting into the engine bay so the used pry-bar's to get the engine to fit properly) I picked up the car today and the issues are still present although noticeably reduced. I hope this can help some of the other owners experiencing similar problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow with all these Auto tranny issues, I am glad I ordered my Nitro with a Stick.

Has anybody out there had this vibration issue with the 6 speed?
I have an 08 6-speed manual, and I experience this issue under light throttle at many speeds between 30-55mph. It feels like I'm hitting bumps in the road, but I am not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i think i'll go with the Standard transmission so my gf cant drive it :D
I've got a standard. If i have the option I always go with manual trans. Better gas mileage, better winter control, less wear n tear on the brakes, not to mention it gives you something to do, and you don't have to worry about all the auto trans related issues.

But anyway, if your girlfriend doesn't know how to drive a standard, and you're planning on buying one, you better get on teaching her how too. Maybe that sounds crazy to you, but you have to think about an emergency situation. What happens if you're driving along, and have a heart attack, or a seizure, or choke on your big mac, or anything that could cause you to not be able to drive, your passenger should always know how to drive your car. You don't want to be unconcious, and your girlfriend can't explain exactly where you are to 911. No, you want her to be able to get in the drivers seat and get you to the hospital. Everyone should know how to drive a standard for this reason, because you just never know.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What next; Transmission failure????

Noticed the other day the dealer hadn't put the transmission filler cap back in (or they didn't put it back in properly and it fell out!) and the tube had quite a bit of dust in it!
Is my transmission going to die soon?
We were planning on keeping this car for a while, but now i'm worried.

·
Registered
38 Posts
dont worry if u just dicovered that soon.

do the following :-

1-just clean that tube with dry soft cloth (if u can get it deep will be good).

2- keep your ear when u drive it on street to hear if it is still smooth shifting gears

3- drive it till reach higher gears

if all that will be done successfully without any problems come back here and give me thumps up

good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Transmission Reverse Problem

I purchased a used 2007 Nitro SLT and I still have the 3k or 60 day warranty from the Ford Dealer. I noticed when you are in reverse, backing up a hill, it bucks when you first push the gas and the transmission engages from a full stop. The for Ford dealer brought it to a Dodge dealer and they said this is normal. The dealer did the reprogramming to fix it but when we got it back, it still did it. It went back a second time and they said it was normal. How do I know if that is true? Has anyone else noticed this with their Nitro? I have 85K on it. I have concerns that there is a problem that will not really get bad until the warranty is over. the funny thing is that we had a brand new loaner Ford Fusion and it did the same thing at times. Our Nitro will do it every time if you are on even a slight incline.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I purchased a used 2007 Nitro SLT and I still have the 3k or 60 day warranty from the Ford Dealer. I noticed when you are in reverse, backing up a hill, it bucks when you first push the gas and the transmission engages from a full stop. The for Ford dealer brought it to a Dodge dealer and they said this is normal. The dealer did the reprogramming to fix it but when we got it back, it still did it. It went back a second time and they said it was normal. How do I know if that is true? Has anyone else noticed this with their Nitro? I have 85K on it. I have concerns that there is a problem that will not really get bad until the warranty is over. the funny thing is that we had a brand new loaner Ford Fusion and it did the same thing at times. Our Nitro will do it every time if you are on even a slight incline.

Thank you for any help you can provide.
Anyone out there have and thoughts or help with this?
Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
2011 Nitro RPM/Transmission Sticking anyone else?

ok so I am havung a serious issue here ..

when I go to excellerate to pass the rpm's stick, the transmission sticks and they wont disengage when I let up on the gas pedal .. I have to put it in neutral usually that works .. BUT today I went to get around someone on the freeway and again the transmission and rpms stuck at 3.5 and it woudlnt disengage when I put it in neutral instead the rpms stayed up but the vehicle started slowing down, I was so scared I couldnt make it to the right side of the freeway, had to put my ahzards on .. finally I pumped the gas pedal a couple of times and it started to go again ..

the other day I driving down the road and all of a sudden I feel the tranny do a back and forth motion like a bump feel, not sure how to explain it .. and also when I go to excellerate just slightly it wont go then it does this happens every so often ..

I know this is crazy wish I could explain it better, but is anyone having issues with thier transmission in these cars?

I called the dealer and I am taking my car over there tomorrow .. but he said if it doesnt show up on the computer then they wont know what else to do .. I mean come on .. I am going to make them go for a ride with me and show them before I leave my car ..

Just wondering first before I go if anyone has experienced anything like what I am describing .. ?

when the body shop had it they put it on the computer because I told them about it and they cojldnt find anything ..

I hope I didnt buy a lemon ..

·
Super Moderator
23,346 Posts
I have seen hardly any issues with the trans used on the 4.0 Nitro engine going back to 2007. There were a few updates, but again that was early on for 2007-2008. This is really a heavy duty trans (W5A580) used in V6 Dodge Challengers and Chargers with many more HP. They are really over-engineered for the NITRO.

I would suspect something else, but not sure what it would be? A good Service Department will usually test drive a car, if you leave it or have an appointment. Both of our vehicles have been test driven several time to try and find an issue or concern, all at no charge. With two cars we usually don't make a service appointment, but just drop in and tell them to call us when they have the time, when the vehicle is ready or if they find anything wrong. Otherwise they want you to make an appointment.

Good Luck and keep us informed.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Sounds electrical to me, as this transmission runs electronically, not mechanically. I would think it could me a bad shift module, or possibly a pinched or loose connection. Good luck with your dealer. Hope you have a good one, as I do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nitro shuttering 2-3 gear under accel

Hello,

First post here. Son has a 2007 Dodge Nitro and loves the vehicle. It has about 80,000 miles and he thinks he is experiencing a problem(s) under hard acceleration.

First thought was tranny is slipping but after a few more tests and some web search it sounds like similar problems other have discussed - pulsing between 2nd and 3rd gear hard shifts.

Car is going to a local auto repair where they claim they have some equipment that will diagnose problems. If not, it will go to the dealer knowing it may cost a bunch regardless.

Is there anything anyone can share that might hint to the problem? Tune-up? Tranny? Fuel?

Any TSB that might help?

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Welcome to the forum. My Nitro is still too new for me to be of any help, but I would check the service history to see when the transmission was last flushed and serviced. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
23,346 Posts
2007 Dodge Nitro Transmission Control Module (TCM) and Powertrain Control Module (PCM) TSBs
TSB Number: 1800208 NHTSA Number: 10024056 TSB Date: January 10, 2008 Date Added to File: March 4, 2008
Failing Component:
Power Train:Automatic Transmission:Control Module (Tcm, Pcm)
Summary:
Flash: rough idle and drop in engine speed upon gear engagement after cold start.

2007 Dodge Nitro Torque Converter TSBs
TSB Number: 2101207 NHTSA Number: 10022416 TSB Date: July 17, 2007 Date Added to File: August 13, 2007
Failing Component:
Power Train:Automatic Transmission:Torque Converter
Summary:
MIL illumination with diagnostic trouble code P0741- torque converter clutch circuit performance.

2007 Dodge Nitro Automatic Transmission TSBs
1 TSB Number: 0803006 NHTSA Number: 10021239 TSB Date: August 25, 2006 Date Added to File: March 23, 2007
Failing Component:
Power Train:Automatic Transmission
Summary:
Powertrain control module initialization.

Here are some and I suspect there are more. Most involved only the 3.7 engine trans not the R/T 4.0 engine/trans combination.

Good Luck and let us know what was done to correct your issues to help others.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Is there any specific specs - like Mercon - for tranny fluid? Only ID ive seen was Mopar ??? Id like to avoid the mfg specifics if possible and safe.

Anything from Advanced Auto Parts or Walmart that is safe to use?

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
The problem with doing this yourself is that there is no dipstick. I think that Mopar recommends theirs for a reason. I would cross reference the ones you metioned to make sure that they are Mopar compatible. Also, you would need the flush to get all of the old fluid out of the torque converter. Just draining does not accomplish this.

121 - 140 of 165 Posts