Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The best solution for protecting your car when reversing is to install a back up auto sensor. By adding an infra red sensor to your rear bumper, you will be able to keep track of anything that is behind your car. By knowing what is hidden behind your car when you are going backwards, you will be able to avoid any accidental bumps that will cause damage to your vehicle.

It is almost impossible to see the details of everything behind your car when you are reversing. Thanks to the limited field of view provided by your mirror, and the shape of the rear of your car, seeing small or low objects such as the front of other cars, docks, and even small children can be extremely difficult.

If you cannot see objects, or are unaware of what is behind your car, you run the risk of bumping into it and either causing damage to your vehicle, or injury to any person who is behind you. This is where a back up auto sensor comes into play. These sensors act as your eyes, and work to detect any objects behind your car, and provide you with a warning before you hit them to prevent damage or injury.

Balance of Article: (a must read)

Back Up Auto Sensor

Their Link to what is available as add-ons, plus you can go to Mopar for Factory unit.

NPI Reverse Parking Sensor Systems

·
Registered
40 Posts
reversing sensor problems

I've been having problems with the reversing sensors working intermittently on our 2007 Nitro. Just before the warrantee ran out we took it in and they charged us $81 (even though it was still in warrantee)to clean dust out from the trailer socket (which hooks into the reversing sensors to turn them off when you've got a trailer hooked up.) 9 days later and 2 days after the warrantee ran out they weren't working again! After a bit of internet research, a phone call to Narva and a bit of testing I found the answer. The magnetic reed switch in the trailer socket is at fault. Bridging the 2 reed switch input output wires got the beepers working again and testing the reed switch its self revealed an open circuit with the socket door open and closed.
During my testing the reed switch started working again (i think it was the opening & shutting of the door (which has a magnet glued to it) got it working.
It would seem that when the door is closed (i.e. you don't have the trailer plug in) the circuit is closed (completed) and the reverse sensors will work (bridging the 2 wires together getting them to work also confirmed this)
And when the door is open, the circuit is open / broken so the reverse sensors are inhibited.
Guess how much DODGE want for a new Socket?
Well over $200 ($250 , 270, 220 i can't remember, i tuned out after i heard 200 and..)
That did include the socket and the rest of the wiring associated with fitting a tow hitch; they don't supply just the socket! What a joke!

So I'll get a Narva one and fix it my self, only hassle is their website shows one wired the same as the Nitro but they call it "normally open" and say that the circuit is made with the door open, so i'll have to test the 2 different types in store before i buy it to make sure i get one that is open with the door open.

·
Super Moderator
23,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also have a 2007 with the trailer tow package, but the rear bumper back up sensors were not available factory installed at time I ordered mine. Never thought about them working when pulling anything however.

Did you revisit your Dealership? I would think since they really didn't fix the issue before, they could now with some adjustment for the past payment. At least they could if they wanted too. I would give it a try.

Mopar sells both complete kits and unless I am mistaken you can find them discounted below that $200 figure and you would have some spare parts left over.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Problem fixed (by me) $20 for a new trailer socket with reed switch.
Dealer says he'll credit me on my next service............i'll believe it when i see it

·
Registered
1 Posts
Remove rear bumper? (To replace parking sensor)

Hi All

Does anybody have a guide on removing the rear bumper on a nitro (UK spec) ?

I need to replace one of the reversing sensors that no longer works

·
Super Moderator
23,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rear Bumper Removal?

Hey all, I've done a search and couldn't come up with anything. Is there a write up or any info on removing the rear bumper cover off my '08 Nitro? I need to replace a backup sensor and the cover I think needs to come off to do this. The search did come up with bit of info but the diagrams won't show up. Thanks for any info. I do appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
23,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Super Moderator
23,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'll check those out on Amazon. I'm not 100% sure but looking where they are I just figured the cover would have to come off. It doesn't look terribly difficult I was just worried about hidden clips or something. Thanks again Rick I appreciate your help.

·
Super Moderator
23,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally NO Bumper Removal!

A fellow customer answered your question, "How do you remove the rear nitro bumper to install? thanks!" about Dorman 684-017 Parking Assist Sensor.
Grandbabies4 answered:

"We didn’t take the bumper off. It’s up where the spare tire is. Lay on the ground and stick your hand along the bumper. It’s pretty easy."

·
Registered
4 Posts
No kidding, I never looked past the cover. I'm expecting the parts from RockAuto this week (I hope) so i'll be tackling it this weekend. I will def. keep you posted on what I experienced, if your're interested? Thanks again Rick!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts