Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Re: bigger tires

That's what I'd like to figure out which size would fill the wheel well and allow the tires to stick out just a little from the fender flares. Maybe a 275/60 18 on maybe a 9" wide wheel?

·
Registered
53 Posts

LVMYNITRO said:
That's what I'd like to figure out which size would fill the wheel well and allow the tires to stick out just a little from the fender flares. Maybe a 275/60 18 on maybe a 9" wide wheel?
This is the thing though... and it's VERY important. You can't just make things bigger. It will throw off everything from your speedometer to your air bag deployment in a crash to your traction control. You have to stay with the same aspect ratio. You can go bigger rims & wider tires but the height of tire has to be reduced (i.e 75 series to 45) to compensate. The overall height of rim & tire together must stay as close as possible to stock. Goggle "tire aspect ratio" and you'll find some sites where you put in your stock tire size and it will tell you what size tire you will need for a bigger rim. Hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
29 Posts

It may throw some things off but the last thing I worry about when driving around is the airbag deployment. Yeah it will change a lot of things but the Nitro could use a more agressive offroad look at times. Its just a matter of whether it is worth it to the individual. Now if only I could find somewhere to mount a gun rack...

·
Registered
12 Posts

CentralOregonNitro said:
I Now if only I could find somewhere to mount a gun rack...

I think a 50 cal on the roof with the sunroof access would work, just hate to mess up the roof paint from the brass shells though.

·
Registered
53 Posts

CentralOregonNitro said:
It may throw some things off but the last thing I worry about when driving around is the airbag deployment. Yeah it will change a lot of things but the Nitro could use a more agressive offroad look at times. Its just a matter of whether it is worth it to the individual. Now if only I could find somewhere to mount a gun rack...
I'm not saying don't do it. I'm saying do it right. You can easily go up in rim size & just lower the profile of the tire to accomadate. I did that with my Envoy. I went up from a 17" to a 20" rim and went down from a 65 series to a 45 series tire. You wouldn't want thick tires on custom rims anyway... right?
And if you're seriously off roading you don't need tall rims you need meaty tires to take all the shake & bake ... right?
Oh... and air bag deployment... no one thinks about it. You just survive the wreck or you don't... LoL!

·
Registered
29 Posts

Hell yeah to the chrome rims on some nobby tires. Imagine some 16x10" rims on the nitro with a 2-3" lift and some good solid mud tires. In the town where I live all the trucks it seems have lifts and mud tires on chrome rims. I will find you a good picture and see if it changes your mind and perspective.

As far as the airbags go, to hell with it. Anything is a safety upgrade from the Honda Del Slow I have been driving around with no airbags to speak of.

·
Registered
11 Posts

As of right now no one makes a lift kit for the Nitro im sure there will be one in the future. And as far as larger wheels go....... your local dealer should be able to change the settings in the computer to compensate for the larger over all diameter. Its all electronic now and calculated by the computer. Its like changing the little gear on the end of the spedometer in the transmision in the old trucks. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tire Size Question

I saw the threads on here about lifting the Nitro and the “body mods” needed to clear larger tires in the front wheel well.
I also saw I would be able to run 30.5 X 10.5 X17 tires, after modification.

My question is what size is the LARGEST tire I can run. I see on the adds for Daystar lifts they advise a 245 x 70 x 17.
If I used a different offset wheel, could I go with a 265 X 70 X 17? Or what about after the Body mods, could I run the 265’s or even wider?

And last but not least, how do I compare tire sizes? I see sizes such as 245 X 70 X17, and then I see them measured in inches like : 30 X 10 X 17. How can I convert between the two?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Ethan

·
Registered
1 Posts
How fat tires can i run ??

hi a have a question about tires sizes...does anyone now how big tires you can run on nitro...is it possible to put 305/40-22 or is that too wide ?
thanks for help

·
Registered
1 Posts
Question 275/45 20

YOU EXCUSE FOR THE TRANSLATION, FROM SPAIN MY QUESTION IS I WANT TO MOUNT A RIM 20 " WITH PNEUMATIC 275/45 20 EQUIVALENT CORRECT TIRE BUT I HAVE SI'S DOUBT IT IS A NECESSARY WHEELSPACER IN ORDER THAT THEY DO NOT RUB THE TIRES OR IF THERE IS NO PROBLEM OF SPACE AND I DO NOT NEED WHEELSAPCERS IN SPAIN IT(HE,SHE) IS NOT VERY NORMAL IN ANCHORAGE 114,3 COMPLICATED RESULTARIA GIVES DODGE's RIM ME TO BUY THE WHEELSPACERS, IF A USER COULD CONFIRM TO ME IF WITH 275/40 20 I NEED YES OR NOT WHEELSPACERS ME HELP VERY MUCH THANK YOU

·
Registered
1 Posts
will 265/40/22 fit on 2010

Hi I'am new to this site and I actully just bought a 2010 nitro yesterday and was wondering if these size tire/rim package will fit on it.....265/40/22:confused:......thankxxx

·
Registered
15 Posts
Widest Available Tire on stock 20" rim

Hey guys, looking to get a little bit better stance on my Nitro. I don't want to lift it or anything like that, just get a little wider tire, so it sticks out of the fender a little more than now. I was wondering what the widest tire possible to put on a stock 20" rim is. After some calculations I found that a 275/45R20 would work well as far as keeping the circumference of the tire the same, however I'm not sure if that will fit on the stock rim. Let me know. Thanks

1 - 20 of 56 Posts