Dodge Nitro Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Happy - Not Happy...

I was so happy to see someone else was thinking like I am... However, I'm not happy with the response... Did you ever get any help?

CM

·
Registered
15 Posts
no response

Sadly this forum seems to have little activity, so no I was not able to get a response yet. Hopefully somebody will see it and respond soon though. Sorry I couknt help more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i dont have any idea. try to look for other nitro threads. i think there are lots of solutions regarding to your tire possible to put on a stock 20" rim

·
Registered
1 Posts
Time for new tires--Question

Hey everyone, I have an 2007 sxt with 235/65/17 tires and was looking into the BF Goodrich Ta Ko's all terrains. Anyone have any thoughts on them? They are only offered in 245/70/17 a little larger than what is stock. I realize that the speedometer is going to be a little off (5mph), which I can have adjusted as well as the TPMS sensors. But, mainly I don't want to rub on the front wheel wells either. There aren't too many tires offered for us that are beefier it seems for the 235/65/17. Just wondering if they would work. They seem to get good reviews on the various tire websites.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello jskits, Welcome to the forum.

The 245/70R17 may rub without some modifications. I would recommend looking at the 245/65R17. These are a little taller and wider than your stock tires but you shouldn't have an rubbing with them. There are a lot of great tires in this size. Here's a link. Let us know if we can help you more.

Tire Products - Discount Tire Direct

-Travis

·
Registered
2 Posts
Biggest tire For a 2inch lift?

I have jus ordered a 2" lift for my nitro and was wondering what would b the biggest size pair of tires that I should order for the lift

·
Registered
3 Posts
Need New Tires

I need new tires for my 2008 Nitro SXT 4X4. I put stock 225 75 16 on the last time. Was not happy with the wear I received. Currently run 235 75 16 Goodyear Silent Armor on my work Escape and like them a lot. I am told by the local Dealer that they can only get Silent Armors in 235 75 16. Will they fit without Rubbing. I would be going from an overall Dia. of 29.28 to 29.87 inches. I don't want to mount them and find that they give me a problem. Speed can be adjusted manually and the Tire Sensor can be fixed also I would assume. Any help is appreciated

·
Super Moderator
23,016 Posts
I need new tires for my 2008 Nitro SXT 4X4. I put stock 225 75 16 on the last time. Was not happy with the wear I received. Currently run 235 75 16 Goodyear Silent Armor on my work Escape and like them a lot. I am told by the local Dealer that they can only get Silent Armors in 235 75 16. Will they fit without Rubbing. I would be going from an overall Dia. of 29.28 to 29.87 inches. I don't want to mount them and find that they give me a problem. Speed can be adjusted manually and the Tire Sensor can be fixed also I would assume. Any help is appreciated
Have you sought advice from another source like from our Supporting Vendor? Could be of some help... Good Luck.
Dodge Nitro Forum - View Profile: Discount Tire Direct

http://www.dodge-nitro.com/forums/f23/welcome-discount-tire-forum-please-read-before-posting-1588/

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the referral freestonerivers.

The 235/75R16 will work fine on your stock wheels if you don't mind going with a slightly larger tire. Here's a link to the tires we have available in this size and your stock size. If you would like to talk about some of these options feel free to give us a ring, anyone here would be happy to help you.

225/75R16
235/75R16

If you are curious about how much your speedometer might be off, here's a link to our tire size calculator for an estimate: Tire Size Calculator - Discount Tire Direct

·
Registered
9 Posts
Normal Operation

Well after close to a year of owning my 2011 shock 4wd, I have experienced a few things that may be normal operation for the Nitro. I have only put about 5K miles on it. I'm currently at a little over 44K.

I did some searching, but didn't see anything directly that matches some things I am experiencing.

I have noticed that when I use 4wd, there is a slight whining noise when I accelerate. Sounds like its coming from under the rear seats, so I would guess transfer case, but haven't climbed under to check and see. As soon as you let off a bit or driving at a constant speed, the noise fades away. Dealer claims that some whine for the transfer case is normal. I haven't experienced this with other 4wd vehicles, so wanted to some input from other owners.

Another thing I have noticed is that when traction control kicks in, in 2wd or 4wd, the headlights seem to flicker. Its like they brighten and dim very quickly. They are not flashing on and off, but best way to explain it is a flicker. It will do this until you let up on the gas to stop spinning. It can be a bit annoying when you are behind someone at a stop light and there is snow or ice on the road. They think I am flashing my lights at them.

Since I don't ever plan on towing anything near the 5K capacity, can I put a different, possibly softer shock in to help with the rough ride? It seems like even the slightest imperfection in the road is amplified quite a bit.

When I had it in for an oil change and free inspection, they said the shocks, tie rods, and ball joints seemed in good working order.

There are some other little things, but I can ask about those later. LOL.

Thanks

Shawn

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
I purchased my 2011 new not quite 3 years ago, and am sitting at 30,500. I have never heard any whining while in 4wd. I, too, do not like the harsh ride, so I just installed a set of new tires: Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus, size P255/50R20, one size bigger than the stock Wranglers. I think that the harsh ride has more to do with the tires than the shocks. Being one size bigger, the sidewall is slightly higher. These tires are quieter, and the Truck now handles like a totally new vehicle. The Traction Control has yet to come on, whether water, ice or snow. It came on every time from a start on a wet road! The Wranglers are horrid when it comes to wet traction.

Your headlights dimming when the TC kicks in indicates to me, at least, low voltage or one of the wheel sensors may be drawing too much currant. I have never experienced this.

I have also purchased a set of Bilstein shocks and BWoody sway bar links. The tires have been on for two weeks. If I do one change at a time, I can monitor the change/improvements. The links go on on Monday, and I will have the shocks installed in a couple of weeks.

:cool:

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
BWoody links installed. Huge difference in the control of the vehicle. Very little lean - much more controlled ride - it doesn't ride like a truck any more - dare I say "Sports Car"!

I'm making an appointment for the Bilsteins to be installed today. Installation will probably be sometime next week.

Tires are awesome. Plowed through 7.5" of fresh, wet snow. No slipping. No Traction Control. I even went through 3' piles from the snow plows without any issues. Even with snow in the wheel wells, no rubbing.

P265/50R20's have a slightly larger overall diameter, but are the same width as the 255's. The 265's are 30.5", the largest diameter we can go without rubbing. But, depending on who you talk to, there is some minor to major rubbing. Initially I wanted 265's for the look - filling out the wheel wells, but I am highly satisfied with these tires: looks as well as performance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a lifetime bumper to bumper warranty, so I am limited on what kind of aftermarket parts I can put on my Nitro.

But I am curious as to how the bilsteins change up the ride feel.

I'm not looking for soft luxury car ride feel, but I have driven 2 ton trucks that ride better. LOL.

Thanks

Shawn

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
The new tires eliminated all the harshness in the ride. The Bilsteins get installed Monday morning, May 17.

·
Registered
4 Posts
New Nirto owner, tire size?

Has any one tried to put some 275/60/R 17's under their Nitro? Would they rub, or would they need an off set hub? thanks.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts
About this Discussion
55 Replies
34 Participants
rickaren
Dodge Nitro Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Dodge Nitro SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing