Dodge Nitro Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,248 Posts
I have the same problem with my 07, done some digging here and found a possible solution by replacing the brake light switch. That didn't work either. Any one got a solution????
I know it sounds too simple but are the present bulbs good?

·
Super Moderator
23,248 Posts
Yeah, all bulbs are good, I took them out and checked the power going to the circuit boards. No juice is getting to the brake lights.
Back to the brake light switch, got power there?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same issue with new info

I am currently going through the same issue with a twist. I originally lost both lower brake lights with only the upper one working. I went to local autoparts store and bought brake switch and two new bulbs for lower brake lights. I replace bot light bulbs and switch (being careful to follow instruction about setting switch). The result was the two lower lights now work, but the upper now does not? Took car to dealer twice so far and they are confused and cannot find the solution as of today. They ordered a new rear upper brake light that they thought was bad. I replace the light myself and it still does not light up. I tested the old light that I removed and it works fine (switching and returning new light for refund later today). Another freak thing occuring is the two working lower lights stop working on occation when I'm in traffic. I know they stop working because I get two idiot lights that light up on dash for traction control and I think anti skid control) both tied into braking system. I figured out if I pull over and shut the car off and reset by tiring car to on and tapping gas pedal three times( Factory maintenance reset) the brake lights come back on. The dealership is so far baffaled with what to do, any Ideas?

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There are two light bulbs on either side, as you are aware. The top bulbs are brake/tail lamp combination. The bottom bulbs are turn signal/tail lamp combination. So, you are only supposed to have 2 brake light bulbs, not 4, and they should be the top.

If you are getting lights on the dash as you describe, this could be a faulty wheel sensor - the Truck thinks that one of the wheels is not turning correctly. I do not know why there is not a fuse for the brake lights, only the top middle one! This never made much sense to me.

:cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the quick response. I did mention the wheel sensor to the mechanic and service department but they said the ABS light did not come on so they did not think it was a wheel speed sensor. With the lower lights now working after changing both bulbs and the brake switch, I will recheck the M-1fuse tonight. Hopefully that will fully fix the truck!

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Sounds like a plan! Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Got car back last night OK. Dealership found coroaded wires feeding middle upper brake light and repaired. They also put original good light back in and credited me for it. So far so good, all lights work. Tahnks again for help ans letting me share my situation for others incase they have a similar issue.
I gave another little issue I might as well mention. My internal heating cooling fan makes a small squeaking noise when turned on. Any one else have this problem?

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Thanks for getting back to us. I'm glad that your dealer was able to help you. It was good of them to credit you with a part that you did not need; especially, an electric part. Normally, electrical parts are non returnable! :eek:

I am not aware of anyone having an issue with a squeaky heater fan. I'm not exactly sure how to get to it. If you open your glove box door and push in the hinges/stops towards the center, this action will let the door open completely, giving you access to the heater resistor/core; possibly, the fan. Good luck, and let us know if you make any headway.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
You are welcome. Let me know what you find. I have never had an issue with my fan so this will be a learning process for me, also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Brake light wont turn off

so, where do I start? I have a 2007 sxt with about 130,000 miles. The brake light on my instrument cluster will not turn off. The traction control and ABS lights also turn on and off occasionally but the brake light stays on. I'm pretty sure that new speed sensors will fix the traction control issue but I'm not sure about the brake light. I've check my fluid, changed my brakes, bleed the system, tried to reset the system by disconnecting the battery, the master cylinder is a year old and there are no leaks to be found. The e-brake sensor is good too.

Is there anything I'm missing? My inspection sticker is expired and the shop wont pass me until the light is gone. Any ideas?:confused:

·
Super Moderator
23,248 Posts
Welcome bologna

That brake light on the dash is not for the parking brake, right?

Could it have anything to do with your brake light switch since you have checked the fluid and pads? How about rear brakes? Let us know what you find and Good Luck!

·
Super Moderator
23,248 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Brake lights

I had the same problem with the bulbs and the lights not working at all, after re-placing bulb after bulb then checking all the ground wires, I finally took off the brake light circuit board only cost me 24.18 at the dealer and took it home and did it myself, I am a woman so it wasn't hard at all to do, fixed it myself when no one else could find the problem. If you notice there are like 6 little prongs in the center one was completely burnt out, that was the whole problem with the lights, now they are all working fine.

·
Super Moderator
23,248 Posts
Tail Light Change 2007-2011 Dodge Nitro

Tail Light Change 2007-2011 Dodge Nitro

Video Description

This video demonstrates how to change a burnt out taillight bulb on your 2010 Dodge Nitro. Some of the other bulbs in the tail light cluster such as the brake light or turn signal may also function as the tail light in your Nitro. It is possible for the turn signal or brake light to work but the tailight part to be burnt out - replacing the bulb on your Nitro will restore functionality to both. Since the tailights are on whenever your parking lights or headlights are on, they will burn out eventually. Burn out tail lights are a common reason for a police officer to pull you over, so we recommend changing all of the tail lights on your Nitro whenever one is burnt out.

When changing the tailight bulb on your Nitro, be careful not to touch the glass part of the new bulb as this will cause the tailight bulb to burn out quicker.

·
Super Moderator
23,248 Posts
Rear Turn Signal Replacement Dodge Nitro (2007-2011)

Rear Turn Signal Replacement Dodge Nitro (2007-2011)

Video Description

This video shows you how to replace a burnt out rear turn signal on your 2010 Dodge Nitro. We recommend that you change both the driver and passenger side bulbs at the same time on your Nitro as they get dimmer over time and if one is out, then the other one is likely to burn out soon. If the turn signal (also known as a blinker or flasher) blinks rapidly or doesn't blink at all or lights up without blinking when it is turned on, this is your Nitro's way of telling you that the bulb is burnt out. Turn your hazard lights on and check the front of your Nitro and then the back, whichever side is not lighting up is the side with the burnt out bulb.

When changing the turn signal bulb in your Nitro, be careful not to touch the glass portion of the bulb with your fingers as this will cause the bulb to burn out prematurely.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts