Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NOTE

Changing Nitro Plugs 4.0L

I have attempted in separating "Changing Nitro Plugs 3.7 & 4.0L" into two THREADS. One for each engine type, since there are differences mainly the requirement of removing the intake manifold on the 4.0L (R/T) engine to end any confusion. I did not remove the posts concerning the 4.0 engine from the original thread but did mark them in RED.

Hopefully this will help.

·
Super Moderator
23,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don47 View Post
I can't locate th spark plugs in my 2007 Nitro to replace them and what plugs are best?
I too have a 2007 Nitro (R/T) and have read they do not need to be replaced till 100,000 miles! Check your Owners Manual.

·
Super Moderator
23,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could not find any detailed pictures or instructions for replacing plugs on the Nitro 4.0L but I managed to figure it out. Here are some pics and information that may help others.

Overall list of tools used: Ratchet with 6/3/1" extensions, 8/10mm sockets and plug socket, 13mm open/box wrench, pliers, flashlight, shop towels, minimal cursing.

To replace the plugs you will have to remove the entire intake manifold on top of the engine:

1. Remove the four (4) hoses on the passenger side, one has two bolts holding it in. 8mm socket used for these

2. Remove the four (4) bolts holding the throttle? assembly on the front passenger side of the manifold. 10mm socket used for these

3. Remove the four (4) bolts holding the assembly to the right of the throttle? and disconnect electrical connection. Watch out for the O-ring inside as it will fall out easily. 10mm socket used for these.

4. Remove the two (2) nuts on the drivers side of the manifold that are towards the bottom, move the hanger out of the way and then remove the two (2) copper nut/bolts as well. 13mm box/open wrench used for these.

5. Fully loosen the seven (7) long bolts along the center top of the manifold. The rear most bolt is very tight fit, I used a 1" socket extension for this one as the socket on the ratchet was to short and anything else was to long. 10mm socket used for these.

Pictures listed below. More in part 2.

Cy
Attached Images

·
Super Moderator
23,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Super Moderator
23,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Continuing from part 1:

6. When all hoses and nuts/bolts are loosened and removed you can carefully remove the intake. You will have to wiggle it around a bit to slip it free and watch the metal hose on the passenger side as it slides into the manifold about 3-4"s (also watch this when mounting the manifold when done).

7. When the manifold is gone it is now very easy to reach the plugs and do the swap. Just disconnect the electrical wires, remove the retaining bolt on the coil and slip the coil out of the well. Then use an extension and plug socket to remove the plugs one by one.

8. Use thread lub and dielectric grease in the boots as desired. Carefully insert the new plugs guarding against cross-threading.

9. Reverse all steps to re-assemble all components.

10. After double checking everything during the rebuild reconnect the negative battery terminal and start motor. Check for leaks or any dash codes/lights. Take for a test drive and enjoy!

It took me quite a while to complete this project as it was all new to me and I had to make a couple of runs to Lowes for additional tools. I'd say it took about 3.5 hours going slowly and having to figure some things out.

Cy

·
Super Moderator
23,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Super Moderator
23,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great Job Again Cyklopz!

You are not changing your plugs already are you? Read they should last 100,000 miles!

·
Super Moderator
23,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rick,

I did but just because I wanted to upgrade to higher performance plugs over stock. The new Bosch seem to be running great so far.

Cy

·
Super Moderator
23,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Best spark plugs for 4.0 engine?
Hey guys,

I just recently changed my spark plugs on my 2007 Nitro R/T 4.0 with 77k miles on it because the engine was a little sluggish. I installed Bosch Platinum +4 plugs and it seems like my MPG went down...from 18.6 to 17.7 average (this is in 2 days of regular driving to and from work). I will be going on a road trip this weekend which will total about 2500 miles. I will keep you guys posted on the mileage. (PS, to the effect of the engine being sluggish, the new plugs seem to give it its power back).

To my question...has anyone had any experience with any other spark plugs other than stock? I am looking at NGK Iridium IX plugs and also Autolite Iridium plugs. From reading some other forums the E3 Diamond Fire plugs seem to kill MPGs as well. Any feedback would be great!!!

Thanks in advance.
Paul

·
Super Moderator
23,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
spark plug specs for 2011 4.0 ltr nitro ?
Is there a spec for the plug gap on a nitro 4.0 ltr plug ???

·
Super Moderator
23,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhnhopkins View Post

there are threads on here for plugs that members have used and are happy with, i have the 3.7 with Bosch plugs. found better performance and fuel. Go to the dealer and they will tell you that these plugs are not 'recommended'.
I have a Chrysler 100K/7 year maintenance service contract on my Nitro and it will replace my factory spark plugs at 100,000 for free! That 100K figure will not be reached under the time limits or even in my lifetime! Guess the factory plugs are so great that they have a lifetime guarantee in my case...

·
Super Moderator
23,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Changed out my factory plugs at 88,000 miles and the gap was about .060". personally I wouldn't go to 100,000 miles

·
Super Moderator
23,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dodge Nitro 4.0 Intake Removal for Spark Plug Change

Published on Dec 26, 2014

Brief instructional video. I put off changing my spark plugs for a while because the job looked a little daunting. It was much easier than I thought. No videos out that I could find, so I thought I'd make one to help people out. Thanks for watching.

·
Super Moderator
23,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello All,

Proud new Owner of a Nitro 4.0! I want to change the plugs out to some Autolite Iridium's BUT i want to confirm if i need to replace the upper intake manifold gasket when i remove the manifold to replace the plugs...

Any helps appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
23,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome IamAmin

Here is a video that should help. Good Luck!

Published on Dec 26, 2014

Brief instructional video. I put off changing my spark plugs for a while because the job looked a little daunting. It was much easier than I thought. No videos out that I could find, so I thought I'd make one to help people out. Thanks for watching.

·
Super Moderator
23,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
this does not look like fun

·
Super Moderator
23,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This engine 3.7 AND 4.0 has an individual ignition coil for each cylinder. When you open the hood you will see the six coils that go down into the heads, just inboard of the valve covers. The coils have one 10mm nut that hold them in, and they each have a two wire electrical connector. You'll unplug the electrical connector, remove the 10mm nut and then pull the coil out.

Once it's out then you'll need a spark plug socket and at least a 6" extension to be able to reach the spark plugs down in their recesses. They are standard 5/8" hex spark plugs.

The gap should be set at .043" and you'll want to replace them with NGK ZFR6F-11G plugs.

·
Super Moderator
23,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Spark Plugs Spark plugs must fire properly to assure engine performance and emission control. New plugs should be installed at the mileage specified in the appropriate maintenancechart.Theentiresetshouldbereplacedifthe reis any malfunction due to a faulty spark plug. Refertothe“VehicleEmissionControlInformation”label in the engine compartment for spark plug information.

·
Super Moderator
23,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SPECIFICATIONS
SPARK PLUGS

ENGINE PLUG TYPE

ELECTRODE GAP
3.7L V-6 ZFR6F - 11G (NGK) 1.1mm (0.043 in.)

4.0L V-6 NGK R - ZFR5LP 13G 1.2mm - 1.35mm (0.048 - 0.053 in.)

REMOVAL
SPARK PLUGS

Each individual spark plug is located under each ignition coil. Each individual ignition coil must be removed to gain access to each spark plug. See REMOVAL.
1. Remove necessary air filter tubing at throttle body. 2. Prior to removing ignition coil, spray compressed air around coil base at cylinder head. 3. Prior to removing spark plug, spray compressed air into cylinder head opening. This will help prevent foreign material from entering combustion chamber. 4. Remove spark plug from cylinder head using a quality socket with a rubber or foam insert. Also check condition of ignition coil O-ring and replace as necessary. 5. Inspect spark plug condition.

INSTALLATION
Special care should be taken when installing spark plugs into the cylinder head spark plug wells. Be sure the plugs do not drop into the plug wells as electrodes can be damaged.
Always tighten spark plugs to the specified torque. Over tightening can cause distortion resulting in a change in the spark plug gap or a cracked porcelain insulator.
1. Start the spark plug into the cylinder head by hand to avoid cross threading. 2. Tighten spark plugs. Refer to Spark Plug Torque Specifications. 3. Before installing ignition coil(s), check condition of coil O-ring and replace as necessary. To aid in coil installation, apply silicone to coil O-ring. 4. Install ignition coil(s).

·
Super Moderator
23,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Spark plug replacement 4.0L V6 R/T

Apr 19, 2018
Spark plug replacement 2008 Dodge Nitro 4.0L V6 R/T . If you are wondering how to install or remove or replace a part on your car, I hope this video will help show you how to change it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts