Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hum at 55MPH rear axle replaced.

Not sure if I created a thread for this slight annoyance I had but anyways..

My main dealer replaced the rear axle complete with rotors pads and new calipers ( bonus ) on my RT.

The slight hum noise at 55mph is now non existent. I would like to give thumbs up to Dodge Dayton Andrews of Clearwater for their expertise. I use the same mechanic there and they seem to always want to appease their clients. Had quite a few other warranty work done their and not once did I have to go back for other issue.

Freddy

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just an update. Unfortunately I noticed a faint hum from the rear again at 55MPH!

Its much fainter but no doubt it will get louder, wonder what it could be? As the rear end was completely changed,.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dodge Nitro DRIVELINE: Differential & Driveline Info

I am new to this, but I haven't been able to find a lot of information on the problem that I am having. I currently own a 2007 Dodge Nitro. A week ago yesterday while making a left hand turn my drive shaft fell out of my vehicle causing my air bags to deploy. Two separate repair shops have looked at the vehicle and determined that there was something that was rubbing against the drive shaft that would have caused it to weaken. There were gauge marks in the drive shaft indicating this. I purchased the vehicle used so my only conclusion was that it had to occur while under the previous owner. I accepted their report and the warranty is covering the replacement of the drive shaft; however, the incident caused major damage to the vehicle including deploying my side impact air bags. Luckily my insurance company is going to cover the remaining repairs needed. So up until this morning I was satisfied .... On my way to work I passed a newer model Dodge Nitro with its drive shaft on the ground. My husband stopped and talked to the guy. Same exact thing! The markings on his drive shaft are exactly like the markings on mine that they claimed had to have been rubbed. What I am trying to find is if anyone else has had this same experience. I have contacted the dealership that currently is repairing my car. I am satisfied that mine is being taken care of, but it almost looks like it may be a major issue.

·
Super Moderator
23,128 Posts
What Nitro and engine/trans. do you have? Have not seen any reported complaints on this as of today.

·
Super Moderator
23,128 Posts
I suppose you have an automatic 4X4 , but you could have a six speed manual being a SXT, I think.

I would make a Defect Investigation Complaint over at
ODI - Office of Defects Investigation and maybe send these great pictures, if they accept them. Again I can not find any reports about this issue or complaints. I am concerned having a 2007 R/T but too would not be worried about charges for the defect with all the extended coverage I have, but this is a safety issue and needs to be reported and documented. After an investigation a Recall could be issued.
Please keep us informed here and THANKS!

·
Registered
4 Posts
no news

I have not heard anything from Dodge at all. My warranty company paid to replace only the drive shaft, and luckily my insurance company covered the rest.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just had a quick look at mine, couldn't see any rub marks but i'll be keeping an eye out.

But i did discover that the driveshafts are made out of ALUMINIUM ! (sorry, Aluminum for those in the States) I noticed it had Alcoa stamped on it so i grabbed a magnet and sure enough.....So no wonder something rubbing on it can lead to a failure!
something to keep an eye on.
Kind of exotic though, having an Aluminium drive shaft, i've heard of some supercars having carbon fiber shafts.

·
Registered
38 Posts
hi friends,

i think it's aluminium made to make light in weight and more power can transfer through it
unlike german cars it has a center rubber holder and made of other kind of steel

the true thing between those designs is that in nitro is fixed while moving power to rear wheels while in german car having some moving ( lean left and lean right) when u accelerate so that the benifits of the center rubber holder in transfering the power to rear wheels.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The think that weakened the drive shaft in the above cases was something rubbing on the Aluminium causing a weak spot. The same thing would happen in a steel shaft just not anywhere nearly as quickly.
See the photos above.

·
Registered
40 Posts
rear diff oil change

Has anyone here changed the rear axle oil themselves? there doesn't seem to be a drain plug??? Unless the bottom plug in the rear cover doubles as a drain plug? Or do you have to suck the oil out with an oil gun?
Thought i'd ask before i do it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
the bottom plug cover in rear is the only way to suck and then refill(it will filled to top by 1 inch below that cap it's almost 2 quarts of si oil .

how much ur nitro miles now?

·
Registered
38 Posts
it's better to change it to keep ur car work smoothly

use mopar si oil if not use same degree of oil that fits ur nitro standard when using any other products

·
Registered
40 Posts
given that Mopar fuel filters in Australia are $ 150 (when an aftermarket one is $ 40)
I'm not going to even bother enquiring about Mopar oil.
I'll use Penrite Sin Fully synthetic 80-140
If car makers want customer loyalty they're going to have to #1 make a decent product #2 not rip us off for service & repairs

·
Registered
38 Posts
you are right

u can also use (liqui moli) products really very high quality products

but be sure nitro as i think use only 80-90 degree

dont use more than that degree

1 - 20 of 58 Posts