Dodge Nitro Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
It's the same oil i use in my ute. It's recommended for V8 holdens as well as Chrysler Jeep. I use the Nitro for towing & they recommend it for that also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
dodge driveshaft

Mine did the same thing. Same location. Heat shield rubbed and cut it in to.
My dropped at a stop light. Thank God

04/07/11

·
Premium Member
719 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
2007 dodge nitro

There is a heat / noise shield attached to underside of car.
Shield is a stronger metal than driveshaft. Back end of shield
slipped down and cut shaft. This is a factory defect.
They offered to pay for 50% of price to fix it. $1400 for a new shaft.
I told them to go to hell. They are lucky the car wasn't traveling down the road at highway speeds.
Gonna see if a lawyer can do any good, being others have had the same problems.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
There is a heat / noise shield attached to underside of car.
Shield is a stronger metal than driveshaft. Back end of shield
slipped down and cut shaft. This is a factory defect.
They offered to pay for 50% of price to fix it. $1400 for a new shaft.
I told them to go to hell. They are lucky the car wasn't traveling down the road at highway speeds.
Gonna see if a lawyer can do any good, being others have had the same problems.
Obviously, you must be out of warranty, but I would fight it, also, as it does not seem to be an isolated incident. I'd be curious if the Jeep Liberty uses this drive shaft in any of its drivetrain combinations. This would add more fuel to the fire and add weight to your case. :cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2007 dodge nitro and about a wk ago I was at a light and about to take off when I heard a loud bang and the side air bags deployed. It turned out that the drive shaft broke and some how set of the air bags. The dealer told me no recalls have been filed but I can take it to be inspected. Ive found that it has happen to a few other ppl and feel like something needs to be done. I want to know what kinda of response anyone else has gotten. I dont have warranty so I have it pay for it and my insurance wont cover anything bc i wasnt in an accident and didnt hit anything to cause this to happen. I plan on filling a complain to dodge because its weird that this same thing has happen to more than one person and thank god i wasnt driving who know what could have happen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Drive shaft broke in half

I know what's going on with these drive shafts after looking at mine, the heat shield and the pics on here. They all broke at the same place. I noticed my heat shield dropped and was rubbing on the drive shaft, I did'nt think anything of it because it's basically aluminum paper and fiberglass, but if you look at your heat shield, where it dropped and the rub marks on the drive shaft, there's your answer: aluminum and aluminum rubbing together at that speed heats up, and acts as a lathe and can cut or warp, after awhile its just going to wear and snap. I'm praying dodge is going to take care of this tomorrow because this could result in seriouse injury! think about it, if you were doing highway speeds and that would have happened, the drive shaft would have jammed into the road and flipped the truck. Luckly, I was turning into a parking lot at 5-10 mph when it happened; thank god because my 5 year old was sleeping in the car at the time. Something needs to be done, like a recall or something before someone gets really hurt or killed; but knowing Dodge they'll wait for the worst.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,128 Posts
Petro13

Thanks for posting pictures. My Dealer says they have not seen this issue (yet) but will have them check mine on next visit complete with your pictures and Post!

·
Super Moderator
23,128 Posts
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Took Nitro in today and had them perform the regular oil & filter change covered under Chrysler's Maintenance Contract.

I also brought in a copy of this Thread and explained I wanted an inspection of this issue on my vehicle. Since it was already going to be on the lift anyway shouldn't be too much, right?

Receive phone call for my approval to perform any diagnosis was $93.00! I said I could understand an hour but not $93.00. Advisor said this was for one hour labor! Guess I thought labor rate was still around $65.00 an hour.

Anyway I gave my approval just-in-case there was an issue. I have the lifetime drive-train warranty plus an extended service contract so I would be covered except for a $50 deductible to pay for the $700.00 replacement shaft in the future, if there is a problem. Being pro-active cost me $102.95, so I better have the deductible waved if there is ever this problem.

Service Repair Order states "No Problems Found At This Time"

Better safe than sorry, is expensive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Driveshaft failure Update

I just want everyone to be aware of the defect causeing the driveshaft to go out. I recently had my driveshaft go out also causing the airbags to deploy. Ive been fighting dodge to do something about this but the are just giving me BS. I was told by a dodge dealer that there techs weren't able to determine what caused it but then corp it saying i hit something. I just got my truck fixed bc my ins covered it and when i was picking up my truck i talked to the tech who didnt seem to know what was going on bc he told me that it was a material defect that caused it , which was the heat shield that was rubbing on the driveshaft. i was able to get his diagnosis in write and i hope this will help me get something done. This is something that is happening to alot of ppl and if we dont fight it someone could be hurt. If this happens to anyone please file a complaint with NHTSA

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rear Pinion and Ring Gear Issues with 2007 Nitro

I've been told, by the Chrysler Service Center, that I need to get a rear pinion and ring gear for my SUV. I bought this used the end of April. So 80,000 miles and 4 years old. Has anyone else had problems like this? Can anyone give me anymore information about this?

Thanks, Kelly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rear Pinion and Ring Gear Issues

I've been told, by the Chrysler Service Center, that I need to get a rear pinion and ring gear for my SUV. I bought this used the end of April. So 80,000 miles and 4 years old. Has anyone else had problems like this? Can anyone give me anymore information about this?

Thanks, Kelly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ring and Pinion.

I had a New Durango we took to Tennessee on a weekend trip. We were going up Lookout Mt when the clutches in the sure grip went out. But it was under warranty so the dealer repaired it. 80k is a bit premature for the ring and pinion to go out. Unless it was used for towing or hole shots..:eek: Maybe a good local mechanic can help you out a little less costly. Rear ends can be a little tricky to repair. You may try a reputable salvage yard for a good recycled rear.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Drive shaft fell out also.

On March 24, 2012 while proceeded to excellerate from a stop, the drive shaft on my 2007 Dodge Nitro simply fell off to the ground as was described in main story. Luckily i was in a stopped position other wise if i had been on a main highway i may not be here today to tell the story. I had my nitro immediately towed to the dealership where i have my nitro service on a regular basis. In fact the weekend prior to the drive shaft falling off i had it in for its normally service and had engine belts changed and the lift gate light ordered and said would be replaced on warranty. But when it came to the drive shaft another story. My drive shaft had the same mysterious grooves around the shaft where something from the undercarriage of the vehicle had obviously been rubbing it down and caused the shaft to fail. My local dealership service said that the only way that could happen would be for me to somehow have caused damage by bottoming out or something to cause such damage. I explained to them that wasn't the case at all and that i had not caused any damage to the vehicle, that the drive shaft had simply come apart. Due to the service department telling chrysler corporation that i had to have cause damage to the shaft that they couldn't say that it was a defect. I have been fighting with Chyrsler warranty department since then to try to have them cover the shaft under its warranty and of which i had purchased an extended warranty when i purchased the vehicle. I was forced to make a claim with my insurance company to cover the damage as chrysler to this day has not agreed to cover it under warranty. Chrysler's warranty department actually told me they wouldn't make a decision on it until they heard back from my insurance company to see if they would cover it. I explained to Chryslers warranty department that it should be irrelevant weather my insurance will or won't cover it. That they should do the right thing and cover the defective drive shaft and if other items needed repaired then my insurance would be responsible for the rest. My insurance today agreed to cover all damages and therefore am disappointed with Chysler's warranty department and explained to them they have long a long time Chrylser customer and will recommend to family and anyone i know not to purchase a chrysler vehicle because they do not stand behind their vehicle warranties. And not only that but this could have been much worse. Had i been going hight speed on a main highway there Most likely would have totaled the vehicle and possibly lost my life. This is a serious safety issue for all drivers off 2007 dodge nitro or possibly any other model years of vehicle that may have the same issue. Good luck to all and hope you have better luck with Chrysler on this issue.

·
Super Moderator
23,128 Posts
Thanks Darrell for taking the time to report your issue. To me it just doesn't make sense that your Dealer would refuse to cover your repair under warranty. They make good profit on warranty work and know this is how they acquire repeat new car sales. You are also a present service department customer. I do have some questions since I would be very surprised if my Service Department would not cover any driveshaft repair on my Nitro, but could see them getting approval from Chrysler first being supportive of any repair needed. Hell they have performed every TSB I requested or found or any issue I have seen others have here like replacing the fuel gas tank, and even installed new head gaskets per my request.

Questions:

Did you buy your Nitro new and does it have the lifetime powertrain warranty?

Does your Nitro have non-factory wheels? (larger than 20")

Have you been carrying heavy loads in your Nitro or pulling a trailer?

How did you make a claim under your auto insurance (as others have too) when your driveshaft breaks in two?

Thanks for sharing and yes I would be pissed, too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think I'm having the same problem, I had the differential fluid leak. My mechanic was surprised it was only the pinion gasket, bearings and everything else was fine. I think it may be happening again though. He asked if I was in water alot (launching a boat) because that can cause that problem.

·
Super Moderator
23,128 Posts
I think I'm having the same problem, I had the differential fluid leak. My mechanic was surprised it was only the pinion gasket, bearings and everything else was fine. I think it may be happening again though. He asked if I was in water alot (launching a boat) because that can cause that problem.
Guess you must not have any extended warranty or the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty for original owners of some Nitros? Sounds like it then could be an expensive repair, if needed. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
I had a New Durango we took to Tennessee on a weekend trip. We were going up Lookout Mt when the clutches in the sure grip went out. But it was under warranty so the dealer repaired it. 80k is a bit premature for the ring and pinion to go out. Unless it was used for towing or hole shots..:eek: Maybe a good local mechanic can help you out a little less costly. Rear ends can be a little tricky to repair. You may try a reputable salvage yard for a good recycled rear.
excuse my naivety, but what are 'hole shots'?

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
excuse my naivety, but what are 'hole shots'?
That is when you stand on the brake, floor the accelerator, and when the rear end starts to break loose, pop the brake and see how fast you can get to 60 mph!

:eek:

21 - 40 of 58 Posts