Dodge Nitro Forum banner

41 - 60 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
thank you again, what about the fuel pump because the fuel pump in my car is not the original, it is toyota camry fuel pump does this affect?

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
It is possible. From the way you are describing your problem, it appears to be an electronic issue - a bad connection is some component. When the component heats up, the circuit opens, causing electrical current not to flow. Once the part cools down, the circuit closes, and the current flows again. It can be a lot of this. Do you know anyone with a circuit tester? When your Truck does not start, you will need to start checking circuits until you find the one that is bad.

If you have a dealer do this, they are going to charge by the hour and this can become very expensive.

:cool:

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
I am glad that you like your Truck. When you are trying to isolate an electronic problem, it can get costly.

When it is hot, and will not start, when it tries to start, does it make any noise, like it is trying to start, but will not? If you have the wrong fuel pump, it could be something as easy as not the correct fuel pressure. I would install the correct fuel pump, but this is expensive, because you have to remove the fuel tank. If you decide to do this, try and have an empty fuel tank!

Other things to consider: starter, starter solenoid, coil packs.

Where are you located? Do you have a Dodge/Fiat Dealer close to you?

·
Registered
9 Posts
my friend I am in Iraq, to yesterday I check the car and the technician told me the problem is the fuel pump, today I install sensors and backup camera and I'll upload it is pictures as soon as possible.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Good news. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am thank you for you answers, and the pics of rear sensors and camera I'll upload it as soon as possible because now I am very busy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
New to forum/ Code P0456

Hello all first of all I have to say I love these forums and all the help that everyone is.. Here is my question we bought a 2011 Nitro Heat R/T with the 4.0 it only had 7500 miles on when we got it with a full two years of warranty "BONUS", but shortly after the engine light came on saying leak detected in emission system "very small leak" it was recently at the dealership and they changed one of the sensors next to the tank. It came back on saying the same thing my closest dealer is 100 miles away. My thought on it is it has to be something with the tank cause it comes on religiously at around 1/2-1/4 tank left fill the tank reset the code and good till fuel level drops again. It's going back into the dealership again thank god for warranty but sucks being without our Nitro while they try and fix it. Has anyone ran into this before the service advisor said its been into a few dealers before we bought it so I hope we didn't inherit someone else's headache..
Thanks in advance for the help everyone..

·
Super Moderator
23,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Welcome mjtcmt!

Sorry to hear of your issue and being a 2011 Nitro there should be none. Without knowing the "Error Code" it is hard to determine what is causing the fault. There has been an ongoing problem with the gas tank that requires replacement on older models. The below link may help explain that. Good Luck and please let us know how it is resolved.

http://www.dodge-nitro.com/forums/f11/problem-when-fueling-up-update-4604/

·
Super Moderator
23,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
P0456 - Evaporative Emissions System - Small leak detected Article by Dale Toalston ASE Certified Technician OBD-II Trouble Code Technical

Description Evaporative Emissions System - Small leak detected What does that mean? The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) at different times performs various tests on the EVAP system. OBD II Enhanced EVAP systems are in place to keep fuel tank vapors from venting into the atmosphere, and instead purges them into the engine to be burned. Regular pressure tests are conducted by the PCM to monitor the sealed system for leaks. The PCM monitors the EVAP system pressure by watching the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor. When the sensor indicates a small leak in the EVAP system, this code is set. Potential Symptoms There will likely be no noticeable symptoms other than the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL). This is because the EVAP system is a closed system and only controls fuel tank vapors, not engine management. Causes Usually this P0456 code is caused by an incorrect or faulty gas cap. Filling the fuel tank with the engine running could conceivable cause this code as well or if the cap wasn't properly tightened. Any of the following could also be the cause: A small leak in any of the EVAP hoses or fuel tank hoses A small leak in the purge valve or vent valve The EVAP Canister may be leaking Possible Solutions First, using a scan tool activate the vent solenoid, sealing the system. Then monitor the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor. If the system is sealing properly, the number will stay consistent. If is isn't, the pressure sensor will show that as well. If the system slowly leaks, use a smoke machine and watch for smoke exiting the system at any EVAP component. Any where there is smoke exiting the system, that is the faulty component. Do not pressurize the EVAP system with air pressure. Doing so can damage the purge and vent solenoids in the system.

Read more at: OBD-II Trouble Code: P0456 Evaporative Emissions System - Small leak detected
Copyright © OBD-Codes.com

Could it be as simple as a loose gas cap or defective one?

·
Registered
1 Posts
P0306 Misfire

I bough my wife's 2011 Nitro new from a local dealer. She just went over 42k miles. The check engine light came on a couple of days ago. While the light is on, the engine will spit and sputter like it's going to die. Then it goes back to running smooth. The running rough condition comes and goes.

I had the code checked and it was P0306. I was told that this indicated a misfire on cyc-6. I cleared the code. Put a highly recommended fuel injector cleaner in the tank and filled up with 92 octane fuel.

I bought NGK plugs that matched the factory plugs. When I removed the plug from cyc-6 it looked the same as all the others. No oil of fuel build up. As recommended in one of the posts that I saw, I swapped the coils from cyc-5 and cyc-6. I put it all back together. Engine ran smooth. No issues.

My wife drives 30 or 40 miles and the light is back on. Same code for cyc-6. While I had it apart, I looked at all the gaskets on the intake. They all looked good. No discoloration like you'd expect if there was a small leak.

Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
23,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
P0306 Code - Cylinder #6 Misfire Technical Description Cylinder #6 Misfire Detected

What does that mean? A P0306 code means that the the car's computer has detected that one of the engine's cylinders is not firing properly. In this case it's cylinder #6.

Symptoms

Symptoms may include: the engine may be harder to start the engine may stumble / stumble, and/or hesitate other symptoms may also be present

Causes

A code P0306 may mean that one or more of the following has happened: Faulty spark plug or wire Faulty coil (pack) Faulty oxygen sensor(s) Faulty fuel injector Burned exhaust valve Faulty catalytic converter(s) Running out of fuel Poor compression Defective computer

Possible Solutions

If there are no symptoms, the simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back. If there are symptoms such as the engine is stumbling or hesitating, check all wiring and connectors that lead to the cylinders (i.e. spark plugs). Depending on how long the ignition components have been in the car, it may be a good idea to replace them as part of your regular maintenance schedule. I would suggest spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor (if applicable). Otherwise, check the coils (a.k.a. coil packs). In some cases, the catalytic converter has gone bad. If you smell rotten eggs in the exhaust, your cat converter needs to be replaced. I've also heard in other cases the problems were faulty fuel injectors.

Read more at: OBD-II Trouble Code: P0306 Cylinder 6 Six Misfire Detected
Copyright © OBD-Codes.com

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I hope that your dealer can fix this for you. I'm thinking that is just the cap, also.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
When I bought my 07 SXT, I put an aftermarket locking gas cap on. Regularly a text message appeared on the odo "gascap". put the OEM gascap back of with no further problem.

·
Super Moderator
23,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
C2200 "ANTI-LOCK BRAKE MODULE INTERNAL"

Replace the Antilock Brake Module to correct.

Try disconnecting battery first to reset the error code to see if it reappears. If you need more info I may be able to supply, so let us know. Good Luck and Welcome.

41 - 60 of 146 Posts