Premium Member
719 Posts
Crank position sensor? :confused:

:cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
crank sensor?

I was suspecting maybe the crank sensor also connected scan too while cranking without fault 200 rpm,I have been unable to duplicate it again, Slight cool front came thru, will recheck when hotter outside. Just for kicks,I checked local parts stores, none had any Crank sensors in stock. I also suspect the CAM sensor as a possibility as when disconnected it cranks and does not start until the pcm sees the fault (couple of seconds) Local parts store had several in stock. I replaced the cam sensor and will see how it goes. On a side note a friend of a friend worked for a local dealer said that the ASD (auto shutdown relay) located in the tpim ,could be the issue.
I swapped it with the starter relay. if it is the issue and if it happens again I should get a no crank. We will see. :DI love intermittants!!!!!

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Good luck. Keep us updated on your progress.

:cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
been a few weeks without fail

It has been a few weeks without fail. I recently took a 200 mile trip also without fail. I plan on taking another trip approx. 200 mi,while towing in the near future. I will repost a few weeks later to advise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
intermittant problem solved

It has been several months without fail. I believe the Cam sensor would fail when hot. It was simple to change only approx. $30. Front bottom corner of right Bank cyl head. If anyone else has this issue. I would start there. ( I would not get any DTC's when the problem used to occur.) Think I got it!!!:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
P0201 - Engine Misfire 10 minutes after shut-off

Vehicle is 2007 Dodge Nitro 4.0L w4x4 and has about 150,000 miles. Looking for some help resolving an engine misfire condition that occurs after the car has been shut off for 10-15 minutes after being driven for 15 minutes or more. The engine runs without misfire from a cold start and will continue to run fine until it has been shut down for a relatively brief 10-15 minutes. The dashboard OBD read-out shows a P0201 code. When the event initially started to occur, the dashboard also showed a P0301 code.

Ineffective actions:
Based on the P0301 code I replaced all the spark plugs and the coil pack for cylinder number 1. The vehicle definitely needed the new spark plugs. However, the same issue recurred - runs perfect from cold start, misfires on warm start. The P0301 code has not recurred, but as soon as the vehicle misfires I get the P0201 code.

Based on the P0201 code I replaced the cylinder number 1 fuel injector. I also pulled, inspected and cleaned all the other fuel injectors. After reset the same condition occurred - runs absolutely perfect from a cold start, misfires from a warm start.

Next step was thorough inspection of wiring harness from injector section to PCM. This inspection revealed that the underside of the wiring harness cover above the passenger side exhaust manifold was melted all the way through - picture attached.

The wires inside the harness did not look burnt - no melting, no darkening of the insulation, no visible cracking. However, the wire colors matching the #1 cylinder injector control wires (brown with white stripe, brown with black stripe) were among those closest to the melted section of the wiring harness cover.

I replaced the melted wiring harness cover and wrapped with heat reflective tape. Went for a ride, shut if off and same response - miss on cylinder #1, rough idle.

Now I'm thinking that the damage has already been done to the wires and the heat reflective tape isn't helping much at this point. The wire sees the highest temperatures coming up from the engine and exhaust after shut down because there is no water cooling and no air movement.

The only other thing I can imagine at this point is the PCM. It seems difficult to imagine that a PCM problem would affect only one cylinder.

I'm looking for anyone else that has seen this problem or that can see a whole in my logic, just in case I'm missing something here. The engine wiring harness is about a $400 item. I'd rather not chase another red herring (coil pack, fuel injector).

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a similar problem and just started another thread, but mine is showing a P0201 code after first showing a P0301 code. I probably should have included my issue in your thread.

You're question was to confirm that the red position in your picture was indeed cylinder #3 . It is not! The passenger side middle cylinder is #3 on the 4.0L.

P0303 doesn't necessarily mean that you have a bad coil pack. It indicates a misfire in cylinder #3. This may be caused by a coil pack, but may also have a number of other causes - spark plug, fuel injector, faulty wiring for coil pack or fuel injector, PCM.

I recently found that the wiring harness cover on my nitro had melted over time. You might want to continue by replacing the injector in #3 (passenger side, middle), but I'd also take a good look at the harness.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Any progress?

Read your thread and have a similar problem. I'm wondering if you were able to resolve this and if so, what the problem was found to be.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Resolution?

I have a 2007 Dodge Nitro with a similar issue. I realize that this thread is over a year old, so don't know if engmax is still participating in the forum. If you are, I'm wondering how the issue was resolved.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Issue Resolved?

Oklahoma Nick, did you get this resolved? If so, what was the root cause? I've got a similar issue and I'm contacting everyone on the forum with similar issues to learn their solutions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Any Solutions Here?

dark knightro, tadcock63 - I have a similar issue with my 2007 Dodge Nitro R/T. I'm wondering if you were able to resolve your issues and if so, how? If you could spend a minute updating, that would be greatly appreciated. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
OK, feeling like a total bonehead. I believed the first website I found regarding cylinder position on the 4.0. Looks like it was wrong. I've changed the wrong parts. I'm going to try again by changing the injector on cylinder #1 instead of cylinder #2. Will let you know if that fixes everything.

·
Super Moderator
23,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Thanks Ron for your update. Hopefully you are now on the right track! Good Luck and let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Reinstalled the injector I mistakenly removed from cylinder 2 into cylinder 1 and no more misfire. My Nitro is back in action. I've become way too good at removing the intake manifold. Glad to have the car running reliably again! Thinking a sticky with the cylinder diagram might be a good idea for the forum...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
23,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Dodge Nitro 4.0 liter V6

Dodge Nitro 3.7 liter V6

Ron are these correct? As an expert NOW, thought I better check with you! Ha Ha

·
Super Moderator
23,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
OK this may help others. Thanks and good luck with your Nitro in the future!

·
Super Moderator
23,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #99

·
Super Moderator
23,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Actron® - AutoScanner Plus

Actron®
Code Scanner

07/20/2015

Dodge Nitro 2010, Code Scanner by Actron®. This GM code scanner retrieves engine trouble codes from the on-board diagnostics computer and relays them to you via the dashboard "check engine" lights. The software, PC interface cable,...
Retrieves engine trouble codes from the on-board diagnostics (OBD) computerRetrieves ABS trouble codes from the on-board
$31.55

SOURCE

Actron® - AutoScanner Plus

AutoScanner Plus by Actron®. The Enhanced Actron CP9580A AutoScanner Plus OBD II, CAN and ABS Scan Tool is the ultimate choice in handheld automotive diagnostic scan tools. It is suitable both for advanced automotive do-it-yourselfers (DIYers) and automotive professionals alike. Not only does it capture and analyze data like other scan tools, but it also can help you prioritize troubleshooting with access to the most probable solution based on top reported fixes specific to the vehicle's make, model, year and engine.
Actron

Features:

With CodeConnect quickly pinpoint and prioritize the solution and not just the code providing over 4.3 million verified fixes specific to the vehicle's make model year and engine
Compatible with OBD-II and CAN vehicles 1996 and newer and includes expanded Asian and ABS code coverage record and playback data stream and on screen graphing; also compatible with trilingual
Custom data list for live data and graph live data
Additional advance features such as freeze frame data, drive cycle mode state OBD check and print data support
Generic and manufacturer specific code definitions on screen and trilingual support

Additional features include live engine data, graph live data, freeze frame data, drive cycle mode, print functionality and much more.

SOURCE

81 - 100 of 138 Posts