101 - 120 of 138 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Check Engine Code Scanner

Check Engine Code Scanner

Uploaded on Feb 18, 2011

Diagnose check engine codes yourself with the Actron Auto Scanner OBD II Code Reader CP9575 available at Advance Auto Parts

·
Super Moderator
23,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Autel AL301 OBDII/CAN Code Reader

Autel AL301 OBDII/CAN Code Reader

Wide coding and compatibility-The AL301 works with Most Petrol 2001 onwards and Diesel 2004 onwards OBDII / EOBD compliant vehicles.
This easy to use tool will retrieve/clear generic and manufacturer Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC).

User friendliness- the presences of severally accommodative user interfaces is clearly a sign that using this is friendlier. In addition to the do it yourself and all the enabling functionalities. The OBD scan tool buttons are also easy to follow with only two pads to look at.

Supplied with a comprehensive instruction and code reference manual, which includes manufacturer specific code descriptions.

Cost effectiveness- For its additional power punch, it is regarded as the best do it yourself (DIY) tool ever by most of its users. With it, there is no need for mechanic garage visits because most of the fault detection and repair can be done by the car owner.

As of 8/21/2015 Only $28.70

LINK:

·
Registered
2 Posts
P0204 code PLEASE HELP

So yesterday I replaced all the spark plugs and the coil on #4 cylinder since I had a check engine light come on and rough idle. I cleared the codes when I was done and it ran fine to the store. I come out of the store start it up and now the engine light comes on and rough idle again I get home and check the codes and now I'm getting P0204. So I looked up the code to find out it has something to do with the injector. Has anyone else had this same problem. I have 07 nitro R/T 4.0l. Please help.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
23,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
P0204 - Cylinder 4 Injector Circuit Malfunction

ASE Certified Technician OBD-II Trouble Code Technical Description Cylinder 4 Injector Circuit Malfunction

What does that mean? P0204 means that the PCM detected a fault in the injector or the wiring to the injector. It monitors the injector and when the injector is activated, the PCM expects to see the voltage pulled "low" or close to zero. When the injector is switched off, the PCM expects to see a voltage that is close to battery voltage or "high". If it doesn't see the expected voltage the PCM will set this code. The PCM also monitors resitance in the circuit. If the resistance is excessively low or high it will set this code.

Potential Symptoms

The symptoms for this code will likely be a misfire and a rough running engine. Poor acceleration. The MIL will also be illuminated.

Causes

The causes of a P0204 engine light code could be any of the following: Bad injector. This is usually the cause of this code but doesn't rule out the possibility of one of the other causes Open in the wiring to the injector Short in the wiring to the injector Bad PCM

Possible Solutions

First, using a DVOM check the resistance of the injector. If it isn't within specs, then replace the injector. Check for voltage at the fuel injector connector. It should have 10 volts or more. Visually check the connector for damage or broken wires. Visually check the injector for damage. If you have access to an injector tester, activate the injector and see if it operates. If the injector operates, then you likely have either an open in the wiring, or a blocked injector. If you do not have access to a tester, swap the injector with another one and see if the code changes. If the code changes, then change the injector. At the PCM, remove the driver wire from the PCM connector and Ground the wire. (Make sure you have the correct wire. If you're not sure, do not attempt) The injector should activate Replace the injector

Read more at: OBD-II Trouble Code: P0204 Cylinder 4 Injector Circuit Malfunction
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

·
Super Moderator
23,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
dirtjunky

Searching "Online" here is other Link that may be of help, if you have not already seen it. Good Luck and let us know know how it all works out for you.

PO204 injector open circuit help?

·
Super Moderator
23,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #106

Just for reference here is a LINK from our Supporting Vendor for cost of a new injector. Would you believe they ever have re-manufactured ones?

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
P0456 EVAP system small leak

Has anyone had the code P0456? Where is the EVAP canister?

·
Super Moderator
23,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
I moved this Thread to the other "Codes" so you can find it in the future. Hope this Helps!

New to forum/ Code P0456

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Update - left it a week and the 'check engine' light went out by itself, so the 'small leak' must have sealed itself. So if anyone has this happen don't rush to fix it, as it might just fix itself.

·
Super Moderator
23,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Update - left it a week and the 'check engine' light went out by itself, so the 'small leak' must have sealed itself. So if anyone has this happen don't rush to fix it, as it might just fix itself.
You sure it was not the gas cap?

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
I don't think so, Rick. When I first bought the truck I bought a locking gascap, 'GASCAP' showed on the odometer until I put the original non locking cap back on. That did not happen this time.

·
Super Moderator
23,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
What is the electronic throttle control
Up until the late 1980s, most cars had a fairly straightforward throttle control. You stepped on the accelerator pedal, the throttle opened, and air flowed into the engine, where it mixed with gasoline and burned. This burning gas powered the car's wheels, getting you down the road. If you wanted to go faster, all you had to do was step down harder -- the throttle would open wider, giving the car more power.

But electronic throttle control, which is sometimes called drive-by-wire, uses electronic, instead of mechanical, signals to control the throttle. That means that when you step on your car's gas pedal, instead of opening the throttle, you're activating an accelerator pedal module, which converts the pressure you put on the pedal into an electric signal. That signal is then sent to an electronic control unit, which takes your inputs into account, as well as outside variables, to open the throttle for optimum efficiency and performance.

It's a complex system, but one that has a lot of benefits for engine wear, performance and efficiency. However, like any complex system, it's not perfect, and drivers have raised a lot of questions about them. Can outside signals interact with the ETC? What kind of failsafes are in place if such interference happens? Read on to learn the answers.

Thanks to How Electronic Throttle Control Systems Work

·
Registered
2 Posts
2009 Dodge Nitro 4x4 with EVAP 456 code

Code PO456 code came up about 1 month ago - replaced gas cap and light reset on it own. When fuel gauge reached 1/2 tank the light came back on. Replaced the NVLD last week and light again reset on its own. Fuel gauge reached 1/2 tank yesterday and the light has come on again. Same Code PO456 every time. Suggestions???

·
Super Moderator
23,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Welcome! Many times it is the gas cap but I guess not yours.

P0456

Technical Description:

A small leak has been detected in the Evaporative Emission System.

What P0456 really means:

The Evaporative Emission System is designed to prevent gasoline vapors from escaping into the atmosphere, and is built around a series of valves, rubber hoses, and a charcoal canister meant to collect vapors as they build up. These vapors are then systematically sent to the engine to be burned off. The computer regularly checks for leaks within this system, either by pumping in air, or by pulling a vacuum, and measuring the time it takes to reach a certain level. When a leak is detected the computer will command the check engine light on and set a P0440, which designates a problem in the system, and another code, such as P0455 0r P0456, to describe the size of leak or other problems in the system..

What causes a P0456 code?

It is good to remember that these leaks are small, in many cases small pinholes about .020”, and you should not worry about gasoline gushing out of the car. With the P0456, these small leaks are commonly seen on older cars, as rubber hoses and gaskets dry out. Most of this emission system sits underneath the car, so it’s exposed to a lot of the grime and wetness of the road during rough weather. Like it or not, these problems are unavoidable, therefore the best approach is to find a good mechanic

What is the severity of a P0456 code?

Minor. These size leaks should not make the car run poorly however, it will need to be resolved before an official emissions test.

What repairs are needed to resolve a P0456 code?

A diagnostic check will be required to identify where the leakage is occurring. Because there is no noticeable change in how the car runs, many people will wait until just before an official emission or smog check. This may not be the best course of action, as this code usually will take some time to diagnose. Plan on dropping the car off for a whole day, and maybe more than one if parts are not readily available.
Here is what the vapor canister on a Nitro looks like.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/412uPh4%2BvBL.jpg

Look at all vacuum hoses and even the PCV valve for a small leak at where it is hooked up. Even the vent hose for the gas tank can cause a small leak and this code.. Most of the time it would be at the end so just cut it off and reattach.

Good Luck and let us know what you find to help others. THANKS

·
Super Moderator
23,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #117

·
Super Moderator
23,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
456 Code: YouTube Videos

Here are some Non-Nitro YouTube Videos that might be helpful?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions. I finally broke down and bought a MOPAR gas cap ($26.00 on sale) from the Dodge dealer. Light has now been off for three (3) days! I read somewhere that sometimes after market is not a correct fit. That is a true statement in this case. Did notice that the factory cap had a different type seal, as well as, one extra seal the after market cap did not have. Fingers crossed that does the trick.

·
Super Moderator
23,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
BamaGirl64

First off thanks for reporting back. I too paid for an expensive MOPAR locking gas cap keyed to my vehicle that solved an issue with codes, too. It is really hard to remove since the key must be turned one way while revolving the cap the other. I can do it, but Wife has had to solicit help when she has drove it and needed gas. Store bought locking cap fit, but when Nitro was under warranty Dealership said cap was the issue causing error codes and they were right! Good Luck!

101 - 120 of 138 Posts