Dodge Nitro Forum banner

141 - 147 of 147 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #141 (Edited)
When the code P0606 is set in the Powertrain Computer, it means that the Powertrain Computer or PCM is failing its own self-check and has found problems with the CPU (central processing unit ). So, in most cases, the processor itself is defective and the PCM needs to replaced and re-programmed.

It stands for: P0302 is certainly a cause for concern, and can be a threat to the drivability the Dodge Ram. The nice thing about it is that the P0302 has tracked the problem to a particular cylinder, which makes diagnosing the problems simpler than P0300, which means that the cylinders are randomly misfiring.

Both codes are serious and could be expensive on either the 3.7 or 4.0 engines if they stand. I was going to suggest the battery as the first place to check if more than 3 years old.

Have you erased these codes and do they return? Did they start after you replaced the battery? Reset the Nitro computer by disconnecting the battery (again) for 5 minutes. Check out ALL connections to battery and PCM, inside and out. Make sure every thing inside the PCM is not loose.

As far as the PO302 error code, if it is not electrical it may be mechanical and require removal of the head.

I would recommend a trip to a Chrysler Dealer Service Department for an estimate as a second opinion.

If you have not visited our Threads below they may be helpful. Good Luck & let us know what you find.

Dodge Nitro: Engine Problems / Code Errors

Dodge Nitro TIPM: totally integrated power module

Dodge Nitro Misfire

·
Registered
5 Posts
Was hoping to fix today...starter hanging up...2010 nitro, new battery, error code P0606 HELP PLEASE!!!
Yes new battery and erased codes and they came back. Along with starter hanging up the radiator cap is under great deal of pressure even tho it has been sitting up for days now. When cap is off and turning key over water shoots out about 4 inches high even tho it doesn't start. I did notice faint smell of fuel on oil dip stick. But oil is not milky. Used wire from battery to alt and still won't start and used as ground still no start. Starter trying but still hanging. And smelled fuel this time while turning key over.
No wires visibly causation at first glance.

·
Super Moderator
23,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Well Mzndependent, this is a current Update on my 2007 Dodge Nitro R/T 4.0 engine that had the same PO302 error code. I was waiting to see what the final resolve was and today I visited my Chrysler Dealership for an update. I took the Nitro in Dealership on 12/10 and was expecting to hear that the #2 cylinder had a fuel injector issue, coil or spark plug! Two day later I was told they had taken the left cylinder head off. Thought they would have found a bad valve seat, but no loss of compression or blown head gasket. Vehicle never over heated and no loss of oil or antifreeze.Then they were looking at a warped head? This Nitro has very low miles, too.Think they reinstalled it and still had the same problem. I suggested a bad cam, no everything else was O.K.

GOOD NEWS FOR ME BUT MAYBE NOT FOR YOU

Today I was told they had ordered a complete "Long Block" and that was covered by my 2007 Lifetime Powetrain Factory Warranty!

Still not sure what went wrong? Can a block be warped? Will know more later and the new / rebuilt Mopar engine will take about 10 days to arrive then will be installed.

Hopefully your issue is not the same.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well Mzndependent, this is a current Update on my 2007 Dodge Nitro R/T 4.0 engine that had the same PO302 error code. I was waiting to see what the final resolve was and today I visited my Chrysler Dealership for an update. I took the Nitro in Dealership on 12/10 and was expecting to hear that the #2 cylinder had a fuel injector issue, coil or spark plug! Two day later I was told they had taken the left cylinder head off. Thought they would have found a bad valve seat, but no loss of compression or blown head gasket. Vehicle never over heated and no loss of oil or antifreeze.Then they were looking at a warped head? This Nitro has very low miles, too.Think they reinstalled it and still had the same problem. I suggested a bad cam, no everything else was O.K.

GOOD NEWS FOR ME BUT MAYBE NOT FOR YOU

Today I was told they had ordered a complete "Long Block" and that was covered by my 2007 Lifetime Powetrain Factory Warranty!

Still not sure what went wrong? Can a block be warped? Will know more later and the new / rebuilt Mopar engine will take about 10 days to arrive then will be installed.

Hopefully your issue is not the same.
I too hope that is not the case. You stated error 0302 my error was 0303 and 0606 both beginning w the "P". Also the car never over heated nor did water temp ever go above normal. I Kno that the pressure under radiator lid cause is under question. The only indication there was even a problem was the starter hanging which led me to buy the new battery and the code reader that gave me the two generic codes. I'm sure I'm just in denial hoping it's something much simpler but when I smelled the hint of fuel when my fingers cleared the oil dip stick is when I got the bad feeling. Unfortunately I have no way currently to get it to a mechanic from the very remote area I live in. When I do get it diagnosed I'll let forum Kno and not leave forum wondering results.
As of now I'm too sickened to investigate it any further n trying to weigh the loss n perhaps look into another vehicle as this one has over 200,000 miles on it and has never given me any trouble until now I feel I was lucky the 10 years I've owned it.

·
Super Moderator
23,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
I just forgot the PO in front of the code for #2 cylinder and yours would be for the #3 cylinder. Can't figure out Wife since she says she would never buy a Chrysler product if the engine won't last with such low miles! Will at least it is covered on a vehicle 12 years old! They did hit me up for maintenance on transfer case and auto transmission that are still covered plus brakes at over 1K, but hard to say NO when they are replacing the engine. I was shocked to hear that they had ordered a "Long Block" too. Really thought a replacement head would correct the issue. Hopefully things will work out for you! Good Luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well after all that yours shud b good for long time I swear mine was awesome never ever gave me any trouble n the 10 yrs I had it NONE and has about 217,000 miles on it.
I'd just say when it gets close to turning over to start looking for replacement bfor any thing happens like mine !
Good luck w ur new long block

141 - 147 of 147 Posts