Dodge Nitro Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Finally a Non-Whistling and Non-Screaming Nitro!

Finally a Non-Whistling and Non-Screaming Nitro!

Let me give you a HINT: It is all about ORIFICES!

I am NOW very pleased with the engine and exhaust sound from my modified Nitro. It really does sound like a Chrysler High Performance vehicle, finally.

Muffler Shop figured it out. Poor welding and positing inside was the cause!

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just wanted to confirm that I am not going to persue the HG work on my Nitro. I can only really here is if the hood is open and if I tap the gas pedal. The 10-40 fully synth oil together with K&N oil filter is the combo I shall be sticking with from no onwards. I may even blend the oil with a little 20-50 sometime in the future for educational purposes :D

I do however get slight clank clank noise on idle. I am creating another thread about this, and would appreciate feedback from other RT owners.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I changed my oil today to Mobil 1 10-40. Engine sounds sweet and I think the low rev whistling is gone. Took it for a long test drive :)
Just an update.

Changed oil to Castrol Syntec 10-40 and the whistle noise has re-appeared.
So, Mobil 1 10-40 is the one to use that eliminates the whistle .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Interesting response. In all honesty the main reason for not getting the HG replaced is that there is always an element of risk involved. With that I mean returning back for other issues caused directly by the work. Of course no one is perfect. Worse case scenario also getting a few scratches and dings on the car. Personally I am very paranoid about this, hence my car is detailed to the hilt before my dealer visit.
I was quite pleased with my last dealer visit. In fact I will be taking the car back and requesting the same mechanic as before. He allowed me to hover around whilst he diagnosed my rear diff noise and also for free replaced the diff oil with royal purple, albeit to no avail as the noise is still present at 55mph. He even informed me about the tensioner and belt issue. He had the hood open and I was tapping the gas and he noticed the whistle noise. With hood open you can clearly hear it. I bet some hood sound insulation would have remedied this or least retarded the sound.

I also noticed lately ( perhaps I am now looking for faults? ) that the car occasionally makes a thunking noise from the rear area / floorpan sometime during the 20-39 mph gear changes. Also occurs when I drop it into neutral and coast then drop it back into Drive ( is this a good idea? ). I never owned an auto before.
Had the ride taken to the dealers on Saturday for them to replace the serpentine belt and tensioner to the new style version. After a couple hours was informed an ABS flash failed, rendering my Nitro sticking in 1st gear ( limp mode? ).
I will now have to wait until tuesday for the ABS module to arrive and be fitted. They will also be servicing my diff for the humm that I get at 55mph. I think they will be replacing the pinions or something? Also told them to look at my sunroof issue. It creaks when vent only open /close.

I hate being without my ride, knowing its sitting there in the dealers lot for such a long time. I hope I dont get it back with scratches or dings

·
Registered
62 Posts
Had the ride taken to the dealers on Saturday for them to replace the serpentine belt and tensioner to the new style version. After a couple hours was informed an ABS flash failed, rendering my Nitro sticking in 1st gear ( limp mode? ).
I will now have to wait until tuesday for the ABS module to arrive and be fitted. They will also be servicing my diff for the humm that I get at 55mph. I think they will be replacing the pinions or something? Also told them to look at my sunroof issue. It creaks when vent only open /close.

I hate being without my ride, knowing its sitting there in the dealers lot for such a long time. I hope I dont get it back with scratches or dings

How amazing is that? Because when I had my serpentine pully replaced they too informed me that the ABS flash failed and they had to order a new abs control unit!
I wonder what is going on here?

·
Registered
12 Posts
2007 nitro r/t 4.0 whistling noise

Thank you for all your input on this thread. The dealership did replace the gasket and the noise subside for about a month and then came back. Will a change in oil weight help? Chyrsler technician said this was the transmission pump pumping fluid to one side of the engine to the next. Any truth in this, if so, how will my transmission fare in miles to come? Is this a major problem to be addressed.?
My rear brakes are still making noise after new pads and drums being resurfaced. Any help here? Again dealer says "typical of Nitro R/T"

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just brought a 2009 slt with 9,000 miles on it that my daughter brought new. Mine has the same low speed whistle and a louder whistle under hard accelation. Havern't had a chance to start checking why, but I'm going to check the air inlet box for air flow coming through it and all so the air filter. The nitro run's excellent. When i kick it in the butt, at 4,000 rpm, sounds like a 4 bbl carb opening the secondary's. Air whistling in as the engine is pulling it in hard. I'm going to disconnect it and see what happen's. Before I'd have the head gaskets changed, I don't feel the oil holes are doing it. Maybe the way the internal pressure is being released by smog system. If your thinking about the head gasket change, get a micrometer and measure the thickness of the old and new head gasket. Gm changed gaskets when i worked for them, used thicker one's that dropped the compression, giving the engine less horse power. Dodge used a muffler on the nitro so it has a sporty tough sound. This is noted by Dodge reviews. I'll let you know as I try different things.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Whistling noise

thank you for your input. i currently had the Nitro at the dealership regarding this problem. They seem lto think it is definitely a transmission problem but are unsure what area/part of the transmission may be causing the noise. I will keep you updated on my progress.

6 Posts
hi dears
I have problem in my nitro slt there is ignition delay and some time i want to increase the speed there is no response in the begging is this fuel pump problem or in spark plug if any one know the problem please response thanks

21 - 32 of 32 Posts