Dodge Nitro Forum banner

121 - 140 of 165 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Here are some pics of the dual tip Mopar Cat-back.

Cy

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
CAI quesion

Hello everyone I'm a newbie and i'm planning on ordering a CAI in the forthcoming days. However, I can't decide whether to go with Volant or Mopar. I have a 2009 3.7L SXT.
Can anyone with either a Volant or a Mopar tell me how good their's is depending on performance and sound?

Thanx :)

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Hello and welcome,

I have the the K&N CAI and I also had considered the Mopar unit. The Mopar and K&N look very similar so not sure how much sound difference there would be but maybe another member has actually heard the two for comparison. I did notice a little nicer sound with the CAI AND Jet Stage 2 chip over stock including better performance. I have now added the Mopar CAT-back exhaust and it really sounds great!

Here is my thread on the CAI and JS2: CAI and JS2

Here is a thread I started where members could share sound clips of their setups (I think mine is the only one so far) I have a clip of just the CAI and JS2 and also one once the CAT-back was added.

CAI, JS2 and CAT-back

HTH

Cy

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can't help you with the Mopar CAI but I do know that Volant makes a great product as I have one on my F250. I usually build my own CAI's but in the case of my truck, just couldn't fab up a box so the intake gets nothing but cold air. Look at the design of the Volant. Has a totally enclosed box instead of just some metal wrapping around your filter so no engine heat gets in, the Volant takes cold air from the grill area (You will have to do the cut out mod to get the full benefit though). These are what you need to look for when buying a Cold Air Intake. Metal wrapping around a filter isn't a true cold air intake. It doesn't seal all the way at the hood and the metal gets heat soaked. The Volant is made of a certian designed material that doesn't get heat soaked like metal does. A lot of people like the looks of the K&N aluminum tubbing in their engine bay, but in fact, these get heat soaked as well. You want to get the coldest air (as close to ambient as you can) in the intake. The colder, more dense air contains the most oxygen for your motor to burn and run better.

You will also see in these pics I put in, that there is another small filter. This is for venting the crank case, instead of the factory tube or other after market CAI's do to vent the crank case into the intake tube. This can do what is called dusting a diesel motor. All the crap that builds up in the intake tube that is being vented from the crank case, is now going into your throttle body, turbo & intake. Eventually in N/A motors, this will cause issues as well. All the sensors these vehicles have, the crap that is being sucked in from the crank case is now coating the sensors so they can't give the ECM proper readings to run right!
The same will happen if you use oiled filters. I will say though, Volant has teamed up with Donaldson. who makes probabally the best breathing, most volume filter out! This is also a dry filter and they aren't cheap! One for my F250 cost $102 but cheaper then a new turbo or motor for that matter.

Again though, I have the Volant on my truck because I couldn't fab up a box to totally enclose the filter, but I prefer to build my own. My Nitro, I did fab up the CAI using the stock box because it does enclose the filter. You might want to think of doing this as well. Much cheaper and you'll get the same results! Look at Scaro's as well, just giving you some ideas and examples here is all.

continued next page

·
Registered
6 Posts
My intake problem!

Today I received my Mopar intake for the 2009 SXT 3.7L Nitro. However, when installing it I had a problem as the sensor hole for the Mopar intake is placed in a different place than from the one placed in the stock intake. The intake I received from the dealer said it was 2007 but the dealer told me they all fit alike, so I'm really confused right now!
If anyone has gone through something similar, is there a way to make it fit or should I go back to my dealer to solve the problem?

·
Super Moderator
23,016 Posts
BlueNitro10

I saw this issue discussed before? Can you extend the wiring to the sensor? Think that is what I remember, but the CAI unit is the same, if I'm correct. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Mopar Cai

Does anyone know why this will not fit my 2011 3.7?

2007-2009 DODGE NITRO COLD AIR INTAKE 3.7L | eBay

It reads 2007 - 2009, but I am unaware of any modifications made to the 3.7 over the years. I emailed the seller, a Dodge dealer in NC, and he said it would not work, and Mopar does not make one for the 2011.

I realize the picture is wrong. It appears to be a Neon/Caliber SRT4, but this should have nothing to do with the fact that it won't fit.

:cool:

·
Super Moderator
23,016 Posts
http://www.dodge-nitro.com/forums/f13/dodge-nitro-mopar-cai-77070002-a-2359/index2.html#post12202

Cold Air Intake System, Mopar Performance, 3.7L 2007-11 Nitro ID:77060080

Description

High Performance Cold Air Intake System for 2007-11 Dodge Nitro 3.7L 77060080
Retail Price: $384.00
Online Price: $322.56

Related Products

Replacement Filter Element used Cold Air Kits 77060013AB and 77060080

Retail Price : $55.00
Online Price : $48.88

Full Description

What's so great about cold air intakes? Cold air is much denser than hot, humid air and holds more oxygen. More oxygen going into an engine equals more combustion, thus more power. The Mopar Cold Air Intake System increases airflow by as much as 20%, boosting torque up to ten lbs., and power by nearly ten horsepower. All of this while improving fuel economy (one to two mpg depending on driving style). Air filters are high-flow and low-restriction, offer better throttle response and increased filtration and horsepower. Filters are
made of a new dry media material which is washable and reusable. Do not oil dry media filters.

SOURCE

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
http://www.dodge-nitro.com/forums/f13/dodge-nitro-mopar-cai-77070002-a-2359/index2.html#post12202

Cold Air Intake System, Mopar Performance, 3.7L 2007-11 Nitro ID:77060080

Description

High Performance Cold Air Intake System for 2007-11 Dodge Nitro 3.7L 77060080
Retail Price: $384.00
Online Price: $322.56

Related Products

Replacement Filter Element used Cold Air Kits 77060013AB and 77060080

Retail Price : $55.00
Online Price : $48.88

Full Description

What's so great about cold air intakes? Cold air is much denser than hot, humid air and holds more oxygen. More oxygen going into an engine equals more combustion, thus more power. The Mopar Cold Air Intake System increases airflow by as much as 20%, boosting torque up to ten lbs., and power by nearly ten horsepower. All of this while improving fuel economy (one to two mpg depending on driving style). Air filters are high-flow and low-restriction, offer better throttle response and increased filtration and horsepower. Filters are
made of a new dry media material which is washable and reusable. Do not oil dry media filters.

SOURCE
Hi Rick,

Moparsupercenter? I have never been to this site. Thanks. I just looked at the listing on ebay, same part number 77060080. As mentioned, the seller is a Dodge dealer and he says it definitely NOT fit my 2011! Now, I'm really confused.

·
Super Moderator
23,016 Posts
I don't know of many parts for the NITRO that don't fit for the whole production run of five years of 2007-2012! Exceptions are fog light replacement bulbs and the like. I do remember someone that had to extend some sensor wire to install a CAI on one of the engines but the unit fit! Let us know how it all works out for you, but I don't see any problems and I have never seen any other MOPAR part numbers for CAI as posted here:

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
The picture you are posting is definitely different than the one on ebay. When I am ready to purchase, I will refer to this thread and let you know how I make out. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
34 Posts
also wondering i need of a stainlesse xhaust

I recently made my own dual exhaust setup for my GMC typhoon truck.
Its a all 3" stainless 316 to 2,5" dual sided, setup with a 3" race CAT. and some MAGNAFLOW muflers.
And thought about doing this also to my NITRO.:cool:
Also would like some headers but its just way to crowded in there.

Any one else ever tried to make a custom exhaust system?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,016 Posts
Great Pictures and fantastic workmanship!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Great Pictures and fantastic workmanship!
Do you believe that I just learned 14 days ago:rolleyes:

Well I'm a technical guy and learn easy:D
A classified (photo)TIG welder learned me this in 12 hours in total.
So yeah I'm proud :cool:

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Since the Jeep Liberty and Dodge Nitro are basically the same truck, do a search for the Liberty and see what you can find. The Jeep forums are mostly dedicated to modifications and our 3.7 was also used in the Grand Cherokee and the Jeep Commander. It was also used in the Dodge Ram and Dakota pick up trucks. Possible someone made headers for these vehicles that would fit the Nitro if there is enough room between the strut towers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Youre right when you have a 3.7
But am also looking but I've got the 60 degree 4.0.
I think it is a upgraded 3.5L based car engine like for the chrysler stratus etc. and never been into a truck as far as I know?

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Youre right when you have a 3.7
But am also looking but I've got the 60 degree 4.0.
I think it is a upgraded 3.5L based car engine like for the chrysler stratus etc. and never been into a truck as far as I know?
The 4.0 was an option in cars, the minivans and the Pacifica. The only truck was the Nitro, as far as I know.

121 - 140 of 165 Posts
About this Discussion
164 Replies
53 Participants
rickaren
Dodge Nitro Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Dodge Nitro SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing