Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got out of the truck last night with my hands full and tore the plastic side trim from the seat with my not so big ass. Bits of plastic flying and now a tear down the side by the seatback hinge. Is this piece replaceable or is it a Krazy glue repair job? If replaceable, how's it done?

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Driver's seat - update

Replaced the panel. 15 minute job. Tools used: - phillips driver, wide flat driver, two (2) slim terminal drivers. Procedure: - Wedge wide driver behind the seat back adjustment handle. Looking behind it you will see that the handle is held on with a wire clip. With the terminal drivers push the ends of the wire clip sideways and off the handle. Pull the handle off, find the clip and slip it back into the groove on the handle. Remove the cover surrounding the seat belt, prying the retaining wedge with the terminal driver. There are two (2) phillips screws. One is awkward to get at behind the belt plate but it will come using the driver at an angle. Behind the seat in the rear footwell there are two (2) more phillips screws holding the rear end of the panel. remove these and pull the panel off. Installing the new panel is a reverse procedure. To refit the handle just tap it over the shaft. QED.

·
Super Moderator
23,119 Posts
Replaced the panel. 15 minute job. Tools used: - phillips driver, wide flat driver, two (2) slim terminal drivers. Procedure: - Wedge wide driver behind the seat back adjustment handle. Looking behind it you will see that the handle is held on with a wire clip. With the terminal drivers push the ends of the wire clip sideways and off the handle. Pull the handle off, find the clip and slip it back into the groove on the handle. Remove the cover surrounding the seat belt, prying the retaining wedge with the terminal driver. There are two (2) phillips screws. One is awkward to get at behind the belt plate but it will come using the driver at an angle. Behind the seat in the rear footwell there are two (2) more phillips screws holding the rear end of the panel. remove these and pull the panel off. Installing the new panel is a reverse procedure. To refit the handle just tap it over the shaft. QED.
Thanks for the update! One question however is the part number and cost, since this has happened to several others here.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Driver's seat - update

My Nitro is an 07 SXT build date 03/15/07, part # for my application (driver side, slate grey, non power) is "1PL971DV-AA SHIELD 23-034-122", but the vehicle VIN # is required by the parts manager to reference. Price was $55.55 CDN + tax. As it seems I'm not alone here, I'll mention it, one more thing I did before install was to drill a small hole next to the front plastic lug. Once the panel (shield) was installed, I ran a #12x1" long sheet metal screw through into the fixing clip mounted in the side of the seat, with a black plactic cover to give extra strength and help prevent further recurrence. This was previously done as a temporary fix at both lugs so I know it works well and stiffens up the panel. This can be repeated the same on the passenger side to match and prevent that panel from being ripped off as well.

·
Super Moderator
23,119 Posts
Well since you need the VIN number that tells me that there was a production change in the design of this part. I would have never thought it would have been expensive to replace this plastic item, but when you compare replacement prices for plastic headlamp, tail lamps and grilles I guess it shouldn't be a shock. Thanks again for your insight to modify, and good luck with replacement part that was poorly designed originally, but now should last for the life of your Nitro.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Power Seat

When I purchased my Nitro, I had the choice of 2 Heat's, neither with a power driver's seat. This is the first vehicle I have driven in over 20 years without one. I always put the seat all the way up, tilted slightly down at the rear. As I have a spinal chord injury (2 cervical fusions), I have to sit up straight when I drive. I have been searching, to no avail, just to find the powered seat base, or a used seat just for the base. A new seat lists for over $900.00. So, today, I came up with an idea. I removed one of the seat mounting bolts to see how long they were. I went to the hardware store and purchased four nuts, the hole just big enough to slide over the bolts without actually threading them on to the bolts. These nuts are a little over 1/2" thick. I removed all 4 bolts, and slipped the nuts under the frame, one in each corner, thus raising the seat a little over 1/2". It's a miracle! Perfect for me - so more strain on my spine. Just out of curiosity, can someone tell me the range of travel (up and down) on their powered seat? I would think that the non powered seat would be fixed at the midpoint of the range of travel, but I could be wrong. I still might have to continue my search, but this fix will hold me over for the short term. Thanks for reading. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
23,119 Posts
My Wife broke my outer seat passenger seat shield (Right Side)

Just ordered a replacement OE part from Factory Mopar.com at the cost of around $36.00. Their illustrations below may help in defining seat parts components used on the NITRO.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Rick. Thanks for the pictorials. These always come in handy. Can you measure your seat travel from all the way down to all the way up? Maybe you could measure from the top of the seat cushion to the carpet, unless there is a more precise way of doing this. I just want to know if I need to keep searching for a powered base/complete seat. Possibly what I have done already raised my seat as high as the powered seat will go. Thanks for all of your posts.
BTW, the Jeep Commander is noted for having these plastic seat side panels break/fail also. So, we Nitro owners are not alone!
:cool:

·
Super Moderator
23,119 Posts
Rick. Thanks for the pictorials. These always come in handy. Can you measure your seat travel from all the way down to all the way up? Maybe you could measure from the top of the seat cushion to the carpet, unless there is a more precise way of doing this. I just want to know if I need to keep searching for a powered base/complete seat. Possibly what I have done already raised my seat as high as the powered seat will go. Thanks for all of your posts.
BTW, the Jeep Commander is noted for having these plastic seat side panels break/fail also. So, we Nitro owners are not alone!
Surprisingly there seems to be only two inches of up/down travel on my drivers side power seat. Not real easy to measure since seat also moves too (not a direct upward motion). I measured from the bottom using the interior black plastic scuff plate, to the top of the cushion outside wedge. The lowest is 12 inches and the highest is 14 inches and I measured in the center of the seat @ the power seat button on my vehicle. Does this help?

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Surprisingly there seems to be only two inches of up/down travel on my drivers side power seat. Not real easy to measure since seat also moves too (not a direct upward motion). I measured from the bottom using the interior black plastic scuff plate, to the top of the cushion outside wedge. The lowest is 12 inches and the highest is 14 inches and I measured in the center of the seat @ the power seat button on my vehicle. Does this help?
Thank you. If you mean the plastic door sill plate, I am at 12.75". So, there could be another inch or so for me if I were to locate a powered frame or seat assy. I'll keep searching, but my 1/2" of gain helps tremendously. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So both of you guys know to add the sheet metal screws to stiffen the front end of the shield. I still have no issue with further failure.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
So both of you guys know to add the sheet metal screws to stiffen the front end of the shield. I still have no issue with further failure.
I'm not sure what you are asking. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Rick, as always thanks for the detailed pics and info from everyone on how to handle this issue if/when it comes up. :)

Cy

·
Super Moderator
23,119 Posts
Right Seat Repair

Wife attempted to slide out passenger seat and without the assistance of any grab bar (that every other SUV has on the market) caught the top of the seat molding breaking both top tabs. Ordered Mopar replacement part # 1-1QA621DVAA from Factory Mopar.com and received it in less than one week.

I had hoped the replacement would have been modified to be less in height to correct this issue, since this replacement part was manufactured 6/09/10. No luck, part even has the same molded # 5693 1290495 inside.

It was not a 15 minute job for me as it was for jhnhopkins's
http://www.dodge-nitro.com/forums/f14/nitro-front-seats-repair-5272/#post12268 Post, but like everything if I had to do it again, I would be much faster.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,119 Posts
HOW I REPLACED MY PANEL w/pictures

First off move the seat all-the-way forward.

To remove the side handle you will need to find the "C" clip that has been installed from the bottom and push it off from the top. This is the same type of clip that was used years ago on crank windows to hold the handle on.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,119 Posts
I had trouble fingering out how to release the seat belt cover

The top plastic clip needs to be released by prying up on it from under it with a flat-blade screwdriver.

After then there are two side panel mounting screws to remove. The lower one is behind the seat belt mounting bracket and is problematic with no direct access. I finally got it loose with a Philips screwdriver, and then used a small straight blade to back it all-the-way out 1/8 turn at a time. I did not reinstall it.

Only other screws to remove are the two inside at the rear

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,119 Posts

I was still not happy with the fit at the top after replacing this new side seat panel so I also installed a sheet metal screw with an upholstery washer at the front to get a snug fit. I used a chrome one for clarity, but will replace it with a black one or paint this one later.

This process should be about the same for the drivers seat (left) so hopefully these pictures will help other members to install their own out-of-warranty replacement. If not since my Dealer charged me one hour to inspect drive-shaft for any defect @ $93.00, guess I saved myself about the same!

Good Luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wanted :- Power driver seat trim panel

Anybody know where I can get this, or have one, can get original from USA but only if order exceeds $100, bit too much as part is only 14.50

·
Super Moderator
23,119 Posts
Seat Repair

Welcome tommym

See you are from the United Kingdom. Can't a Dodge Nitro Dealer order you a replacement w/o the $100 limit? Can you repair yours like I did my passenger side one, in the below link? My only other suggestion would be a salvage yard (junk yard) for a replacement. Good Luck!

Nitro Front Seats Repair

1 - 20 of 28 Posts