Dodge Nitro Forum banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
What are you talking about when the octane is higher that mean its more energy in that fuel so you can get more milage on the same amount of fuel.

and when you have more octane it takes more compresion to get pre ignition (spikes misfires) and we even have 100octane and that works just fine and you get more milage per gallon fuel and more power in the engine (no misfires)
i wont get in a pis--- contest with you but you obveously have little or no knowledge about fuel octain versus compresion, go to the library and do some reaserch befor re fposting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Gas mileage

Having traded in a Ram 1500 Hemi Quad Cab that got 13mpg for my Nitro, I am happy to get 16.9mpg! I only have 800 miles on my Nitro so far so I am hoping it only gets better!! Love the Nitro!! :p:p

·
Registered
18 Posts
Coming from a HEMI Commander the truck is OK on fuel? 17-20 mpg For the dude who said higher octaine gets better MPG's like someone else said go do your home work!! I use only 89 grade fuel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Coming from a HEMI Commander the truck is OK on fuel? 17-20 mpg For the dude who said higher octaine gets better MPG's like someone else said go do your home work!! I use only 89 grade fuel.
I don't know if your right about that. I'm Canadian so I don't know MPG, we use L/100km. I used to have a Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (360) V8. Using 87 octane I would use about 16L/100km, while using 91 octane I would use only 13.5L/100km. Also, the car was built to run on 91, and using 91 i would only have to do oil changes every 6500km, as opposed to the standard every 5000km for most other vehicles that run on 87. To me this means that 91 octane burns cleaner than 87 octane, which in turn provides more power while it explodes, which in turn would mean that your engine is not working as hard to produce that power, which means you do get better mielage. It's pretty simple to understand the concept.

If you drive up a hill at 80km, your engine has to burn more fuel and work harder than driving 80km on flat ground. So if the explosion of 91 octane produces more power than that of 87 octane, your using less fuel to mantain the same level of power.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Gas/mileage

Why do we Cannuks still refer to it as "gas/mileage"? Anyway, my 07 SXT gets 12 litres/100 kilometers, which is what my Cherokee straight six 4.0L was getting at 411,000 km. Both vehicles doing mainly highway, about 65 km each way into and out of Toronto. I had to use premium recently (all they had) and my gascap light kept coming on until I refilled. Yes I did check it, you think I'm Newfie?
By the way, I want to fit an hour meter. Years ago the British motor press suggested oil changes based on 50 hours of operation rather than distance traveled like you would with a forklift truck. The theory being that 5,000 km at 100 kph (highway) = 50 hours and 5,000 km at 50 kph (city) = 100 hours. A significant difference in engine wear on the same oil.
Well I got my hands on a previously enjoyed meter and thought I'd give it a try. Where do I find a fused Acc. terminal?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Fuel Kilometerage

Why do we Cannuks still refer to it as "gas/mileage"? Anyway, my 07 SXT gets 12 litres/100 kilometers, which is what my Cherokee straight six 4.0L was getting at 411,000 km. Both vehicles doing mainly highway, about 65 km each way into and out of Toronto. I had to use premium recently (all they had) and my gascap light kept coming on until I refilled. Yes I did check it, you think I'm Newfie?
By the way, I want to fit an hour meter. Years ago the British motor press suggested oil changes based on 50 hours of operation rather than distance traveled like you would with a forklift truck. The theory being that 5,000 km at 100 kph (highway) = 50 hours and 5,000 kph at 50 kph (city) = 100 hours. A significant difference in engine wear on the same oil.
Well I got my hands on a previously enjoyed meter and thought I'd give it a try. Where do I find a fused Acc. terminal?
Well I suppose we could refer to it as fuel kilometerage, but who wants to type or say that every time? Gas Mileage is short n sweet.

As for a fused Acc terminal, your best bet is to power it off one of your cigarette lighters, err, i guess 12v power outlets... you can by a plug from Canadian Tire, or RadioShack, and wire it that way, other wise you have to open the dash and run it off either the stereo Acc, or off of the heat/air fan acc. If you have never installed a car stereo you should go the 12v adapter route. If your not intimidated by wires and you understand the difference between 12v constant and 12v acc then run it from any acc wire you can find. Just cut a piece of the wire cover off, solder your meter power wire to it, wrap it with some heatshrink rubber or just electrical tape. Doing it that way you could drill a small hole for you pwr/grnd wires and mount the meter on your dash for a clean professional look. If you run it via 12v adapter you'll always have the wire sitting out in the open, and you'll have to make sure the 12v plug only powers up when your key is turned to acc, or the on position. If you do go the acc stereo wire route then it usually works that 12v constant is yellow, grnd is black and the acc wire is red. If you wire it to 12v constant the meter will always be running so make sure you've got the acc. I haven't looked behind my dash yet, so the color coding could have changed over the years, but the best way to find out which one is which is by buying a $20 volt meter. The acc wire will only give out voltage when your key is on, simple enough. By the way, where did you find an hour meter?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, after a week and my first "full" tank (filled it at the 3/4 empty mark with about 14 gal). My 07 3.7L (auto), averaged 21.08 mpg. Not quite as good as my 99 Kia Sportage was getting (25 - 26 mpg), but for a 6 cylinder, automatic that weighs a couple of tons, I'll take it. :)

Definitely going to convert for flex-fuel in the spring though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2009 slt 2wd was getting 22mpg on average.

We moved to a state(Oregon,wich is floating around E15 ideas) that mandates E10 fuel and it get's 15mpg.
Every Dodge owner i haved talked to says the same thing.
Whether it's a Ram with a Hemi or Dakota.
15mpg on E10.

·
Registered
4 Posts
well of course its unleaded we havent had lead in 20years
strange that you use such low octane fuel on the other hand the cheapest fuel we have (95octane) is now up to 8dollars per gallon :mad:
the tax is 6dollars per gallon :mad:

but such is life :rolleyes:
$8 a gallon and your saying such is life?
You mean you willing gave up your rights and income to your government.
What's next?

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
In response to question from atmu5fear - Hour meter came out of scrapped propane forklift. Still haven't installed it but soon.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My Average Milage is 28.7 mpg (8.8 Liters per 100km) over more than 77,000km now - but of course: Diesel

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
My Average Milage is 28.7 mpg (8.8 Liters per 100km) over more than 77,000km now - but of course: Diesel
Diesel would be my choice, but it is not offered on the Nitro here in the US. Maybe, with Fiat's help...................:rolleyes:
Going 74 mph with cruise control set, I get 22/23 mpg, even with the noisy, drag inducing, Production Cross Bars! My first tank was all city, and I got about 15.5, with 422 miles on the odometer when I purchased 2 months ago. Last tank, mostly city with some highway, I got 20. I just passed 3,000 so it is getting better with age. So, this still beats my Jeep Commander's 12.5!
Prior to the Commander, I had a 2003 Jeep Liberty Renegade. Even with the Production Light Bar and Roof Basket, I still managed 20 mpg overall. The Nitro is slightly longer, but lower than the Renegade, and probably weighs a little less so I anticipate beating my average as the engine breaks in.
:cool:

·
Registered
64 Posts
There is really no offer for Diesel-Nitros in US?

As far as I remember there are Diesel-Nitros in North-America, but maybe from Canada? :confused: Hmmmm....

Okay, just to open the Bill:
Diesel-Cars cost around 1500 Euros more than a Normal Fuel-Car. Taxes in Germany are nearly the Double than Normal Fuel-Cars...
But the Diesel Engine Torque Moment and resulting of this the Acceleration is just marvellous. :D

My absolute best mpg has been 36.1 mpg (7.00 Liters / 100km), That Day I have had Time...
My absolute worst has been 18.3 mpg (13.8 Liters / 100km) with Camping Trailer in the Mountains using Cruise Control

Today I have filled up the Fuel 372km with 30.03 Liters result in 8.07 Liters / 100km => 31,35 mpg in a mix of over the Country and Town. :)

But by the Way: I am driving 6-Speed-manual-Shift

The Average of my Diesel-Nitro-Friends (SE, SXT/SLT, R/T) is between 10 and 10.5 Lites / 100km => 25 mpg (1.45 Euro / Liter Diesel)
and the average of our normal Fuel Nitros is around 13.5 Liters / 100km => 19 mpg (1.57 Euro / Liter 95 Octane)
Using LPG we reach around 16 Liters / 100km => 16 mpg (0.75 Euro / Liter LPG)

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
No diesel option on the Nitro in the US.
The original Liberty (Cherokee) had a 4 cyl. diesel option, but was canceled when the new version arrived.
There was a V6 diesel option on the previous Jeep Grand Cherokee, but that, too, was dropped when the new version arrived.
There are rumors of a diesel once again in the Grand Cherokee, but none that I know of concerning the Liberty and Nitro.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Okay,

I just spoke with somebody living in Germany and Canada.
He said he has bought a Grand Cherokee 3.0 Diesel in Canada, and to get this car has been much luck.

Oh, you could spare so much money and CO2 and Ressources when Diesel would be a little more accepted.... in Germany around 45% of the Cars are Diesel-Engines.

I hoipe that under Direction of FIAT the Diesel would at least be offered in America. But what about the Infrastructure? Do You have to fill up Diesel at Trcuk Pumps or do have the smaller Pumps for Cars?

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
There are many filling stations that offer diesel, along with the usual truck stops. In the US, Golf and Jetta diesels are numerous along with Mercedes and some BMW's. Back in the 70's during the first gas crises, General (Government) Motors took 2 gas engines and converted them to diesel! Very bad results! When the cars were traded in, they were worth little or nothing and the dealers had to swap out the diesel engine for a gas engine just so the cars could be resold. Basically, GM killed the diesel engine in cars in the US. They are very popular in trucks, and are starting to catch back on in cars, but this will take time. I think a diesel is a much better option than a hybrid. I don't like the batteries - how do you dispose of them? I consider a hybrid car a rolling toxic dump.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Hi guys.
The 3.0L diesel in the Grand Cherokee is from Mercedes. I see many in Ontario around Toronto. The 4cyl diesel in the Liberty was an Italian manufacture and I understand it failed U.S. emissions thus was discontinued. Considering the additives in gasoline diesels are cleaner toxin-wise. How about a Cummins powered Nitro? Top six cars at the 24heures de le Mans were diesels.
I see the hybrid as an expensive gimic. The extra initial expense takes the lifetime of the vehicle to warrant such outlay.
Just did a re-check on my fuel consumption with 3.7L at 10.5 Ltr/100km

·
Registered
105 Posts
The Average of my Diesel-Nitro-Friends (SE, SXT/SLT, R/T) is between 10 and 10.5 Lites / 100km => 25 mpg (1.45 Euro / Liter Diesel)
I love my 2.8 CRD. A great, grumpily old-style Diesel with a lot of power. Mine also has an average of 10.5 liter / 100 km. Lets see what happens after the OCT Tuning.

I understand that Chrysler doesn't introduce diesel engines in the US. They tried from time to time, but nobody bought it. The reason why Diesel is so popular in Europe is, that it was way cheaper than gasoline. But in these days diesel is almost as expensive as gas ... and fuel costs hell here in Austria, and even more in Germany.

Gas still is unbelievable cheap in the US. There is no need to go diesel. Even if most diesel engines have better mileage. Lets see what the future brings. An electro-powererd Nitro? No way!

61 - 80 of 86 Posts