Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am new to the community and of course need help. I am working with my friends 2009 Dodge Nitro. According to him shortly after he bought the car randomly the warning sound for his e-brake would come on even if it wasn't. Then, only about 2 months ago we were coming back from town and the power locks started locking and unlocking of their own accord, shortly afterwards the stopped working and even his unlock button on his keys wouldn't work. So now the car can only be unlocked with the keys and then manually by pulling up the locks. I thought it might be a problem with a fuse when I looked there was a fuse out. I think it was a 25 W in the M28 location. I disconnected the negative terminal on the battery and put in the new fuse. As soon as I touched the negative terminal back to the battery is sparked and blew the fuse. Now the dome lights won't come on when the door is open and the ignition doesn't work at all. I can put in the key but nothing happens.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You were right in disconnecting the negative terminal before changing the fuse. Obviously, there was a previous problem with the fuse. Remove the negative terminal, remove the fuse, wait 10 minutes or so, and see what you get. This process will reset the computer (TIPM). When you reconnect the terminal and the situation remains, remove the negative terminal again, and check all of the fuses and relays by removing them, one by one, and use a testor to make sure that the relays are still good. You can check the fuses visually. If they all appear to be good, reattach the negative terminal. If you still are in the same situation, you have probably blown the TIPM, which is expensive. The TIPM is the combination fuse block/ECU.

I have read by removing each fuse and relay, one at a time, can actually bring it back to life, but the original symptoms that you described are indications that the TIPM is beginning to fail. Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

I presently have an issue with my radio, a Media Center 430. If I do not turn the radio off before I shut off the engine, it will not come back on for a while, or immediately if I disconnect the negative terminal for 10 minutes or so. I think it is a condition of the radio, and not the TIPM, but one can only hope!

:cool:

·
Super Moderator
23,319 Posts
Interior Fuse Box Location: 2007-2011 Dodge Nitro

Interior Fuse Box Location: 2007-2011 Dodge Nitro

Video Description

The video above shows how to replace blown fuses in the interior fuse box of your 2010 Dodge Nitro in addition to the fuse panel diagram location. Electrical components such as your map light, radio, heated seats, high beams, power windows all have fuses and if they suddenly stop working, chances are you have a fuse that has blown out. If your Nitro is experiencing electrical problems, you should always check the fuses first, because they are relatively easy to check and cheap to change. Some Dodges have multiple interior fuse boxes including in the trunk - the video above will show you where the interior fuse box of your 2010 Nitro is located. If your Nitro has many options like a sunroof, navigation, heated seats, etc, the more fuses it has. Some components may have multiple fuses, so make sure you check all of the fuses that are linked to the component in question.

If you need to replace a blown fuse in your Nitro, make sure you replace it with one that has the same amperage as the blown fuse. If checking and replacing the fuse for the component in question doesn't work, we recommend seeking assistance from a trusted professional mechanic. They should be able to figure out if the component needs to be replaced or if there is a short or some other problem with your Nitro.

·
Super Moderator
23,319 Posts
Replace a Fuse: 2007-2011 Dodge Nitro

Replace a Fuse: 2007-2011 Dodge Nitro

Video Description

If your convenience lights, turn signals, seat warmers, stereo, headlights or other electronic components suddenly stop working, chances are you have a fuse that has blown out. The video above shows how to check and change blown fuses in the engine bay of your 2011 Dodge Nitro in addition to where the fuse box diagram is located. Fuses should always be the first thing you check if your Nitro is experiencing electrical difficulties because they are relatively easy and inexpensive to change yourself. The more electronics your Nitro has, the more fuses it has. Some Dodges have multiple fuse boxes in the engine bay, so be sure to find the fuse(s) in question. Some components may have multiple fuses, so make sure you check all of the fuses that are linked to the component that is no longer working properly.

If you need to replace a blown fuse in your Nitro, make sure you replace it with one that has the same amperage as the blown fuse. If checking and replacing the fuse for the component in question doesn't work, we recommend seeking assistance from a trusted professional mechanic. They should be able to figure out if the component needs to be replaced or if there is a short or some other problem with your Nitro.

·
Super Moderator
23,319 Posts
Blown Fuse Check 2007-2011 Dodge Nitro

Blown Fuse Check 2007-2011 Dodge Nitro

Video Description

The video above shows how to check for blown fuses in the engine bay of your 2010 Dodge Nitro and where the fuse box diagram is located. If your map light, stereo, turn signals, heated seats, headlights or other electronic components suddenly stop working, chances are you have a fuse that has blown out. Fuses should always be the first thing you check if your Nitro is experiencing electrical difficulties because they are relatively easy to check and inexpensive to change. The more electronics your Nitro has, the more fuses it has. Some Dodges have multiple fuse boxes in the engine bay, so be sure to find the fuse(s) in question. Some components may have multiple fuses, so make sure you check all of the fuses that are linked to the component in question.

·
Super Moderator
23,319 Posts
Dodge Nitro: Fuses

Totally Integrated Power Module

The Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) is located in the engine compartment near the battery. This center contains cartridge fuses, mini fuses and relays. A label that identifies each component is printed on the inside of the cover.

http://www.c-suvs.com/fuses-106.html

·
Super Moderator
23,319 Posts

The Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) is located in the engine compartment near the battery. This center contains cartridge fuses, mini fuses and relays. A label that identifies each component is printed on the inside of the cover.

·
Super Moderator
23,319 Posts

CAUTION:
• When installing the integrated power module cover, it is important to ensure the cover is properly positioned and fully latched. Failure to do so may allow water to get into the integrated power module, and possibly result in a electrical system failure.
• When replacing a blown fuse, it is important to use only a fuse having the correct amperage rating. The use of a fuse with a rating other than indicated may result in a dangerous electrical system overload. If a properly rated fuse continues to blow, it indicates a problem in the circuit that must be corrected.

·
Super Moderator
23,319 Posts
Fuse box location and diagrams: Dodge Nitro (2007-2012)

Nov 20, 2019

Fuse box diagram (location and assignment of electrical fuses) for Dodge Nitro (2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012).

Cigar lighter / power outlet fuses in the Dodge Nitro are the fuses M6, M7 and M36 in the Integrated Power Module.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts