·
Super Moderator
23,327 Posts
2017 Chrysler Pacifica 360-degree Camera

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rear camera

Hi, I'm in the UK. I've a mygig REW. How easy would it be to fit a rear view camera and what would I need? Would that set up allow me to fit a 2nd camera too the back my caravan for viewing whilst driving? As it's in my 2008 Nitro I'd also like to update it to latest firmware and maps.

·
Super Moderator
23,327 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,327 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok Rick, will send them an email at some point. Got more important things to sort. . Was getting my caravan ready for a trip away and electronic control panel decided it would like to stop working. Caravan manufacturers went bust 9 years ago, after a lot of searching have eventually found original supplier, they have 1 in stock, £300 !!!!!!! Or send old 1 back and repair, £100, 2 week turnaround lucky wasn't goin away till end of October. Thanks for your help, Pete

·
Super Moderator
23,327 Posts
Have a safe trip!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Reverse Camera

I am upgrading my stock am/fm/sat radio without the Uconnect feature with a 730N RHR MyGig High Speed Bus unit. I also bought a UConnect Mic and a Universal back up camera. The install itself looks pretty straight forward and since I've done my fair share of stereo system installs in the past I don't foresee any issues in that department.

My question comes in with the back up camera. Directions say that the camera needs to be spliced into any 12v power supply. When I called the tech support at OEM Auto Parts Company (place where I bought everything), for a different question, the backup camera came up in the conversation. He said the best way would be to locate the reverse trigger wire or pin and get the power from there. He did mention that most people can't find it on their vehicles and end up just splicing into a different power source. He also said that people have issues with the camera when they splice into the reverse lights because the power supply isn't constant enough.

From doing research online, I have found numerous posts of the camera staying on and the image being on the screen even when the vehicle isn't in reverse. I would assume that is from splicing into a constant power supply. I know about the lockpick harness, but since I don't need it, from what I'm told, and have no immediate plans to install a rear entertainment system, I figured I'd save myself a few hundred dollars. I could always buy it in the future if I do decide to do the rear entertainment system.

My question is: Does anyone know where the reverse trigger wire/pin is located in a 2011 Nitro SE? Or where I might be able to find a free wiring diagram that could point me in the right direction?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
23,327 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,327 Posts
Reverse Backup camera wiring

Published on Aug 7, 2015

Did you recently buy a reverse camera and not sure what red power wire to use? Did you get an RCA cable with a little red wire on both ends? Not quite sure what to make of the terrible instructions? (read more below)

The red and black wire that are together are supposed to be connected to the white rear reverse light bulb (I accidentally said "camera" in the video). If you connect the red and black wire to the reverse bulb, it will give the camera power (turn it on) only when you are in reverse. (Ahhh Haaa moment). If they were connected anywhere else, they would either be on all of the time, or not when you need them to be. You could connect them to say a cigarette lighter that is only on when the car is on, but then you run into the next issue.

About the red wire on the RCA cable...Most headunits don't have a button to click when you're in reverse. If yours has video inputs, then stop. You could use an input as the reverse camera, but keep in mind that you have select this input..kind of annoying. For everyone else, yours has a special 12v turn on wire. When this one particular wire gets 12 volts, it tells the headunit to now switch to the yellow rca video. It is the small wire connected to that yellow rca that is to be used for that 12 v turn on. You can use the reverse lights for this power signal.

How to install Backup camera on Dodge Ram

·
Super Moderator
23,327 Posts
Sorry Topher39 I really did not find the answer you requested and I as others here installed the LockPick to add the rear camera to my Nitro. I did post several articles I found and I suspect you have seen already just-in-case you find an answer there. Good Luck and you might consider posting a Thread on your install when completed to help others in the future.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks rickaren. Actually I hadn't seen these yet. I will check them out when I have more time.

I have been concentrating my search on the 2011 Nitro, Nitros in general, and more recently, Dodge. I saw one website where they showed it on a Subaru and a Toyota, but I wasn't sure it would be the same on a Dodge.

Thanks again for the help. I'll keep you posted on how I make out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
For anyone who is curious, I contacted Camera Source (makers of the reverse camera) as a last resort. This is the response I received:

I'm not sure if this will be the same for your Nitro, but it's worth a shot.

Look for a white wire with a light green stripe in the drivers side kick panel harness going into the running board.

Using a 12Volt tester check for voltage at this wire when the vehicle is in reverse. This is all I could find so I'm hoping this is it. If not, the best way is to use the 12volt tester to check other wires for reverse power.

Crossing my fingers for you!
Good Luck,
Tricia

Quick question. How would I go about testing the wire without stripping it?

I will be tackling this project this weekend and will keep you updated on my progress.

·
Super Moderator
23,327 Posts
If you don't have one

Aidbucks MS8232 Multimeter Digital Auto Ranging Non Contact Voltage Detector Electrical Multi Circuit Volt Tester AC/DC Battery Tester Ammeter Voltmeter Current Resistance Test Meter Tool With Backlit

you should. Multimeters can be found at any automotive store.

Simple power light testers are cheaper and also work great.

McKay All-Purpose 6-12V- AC Circuit Tester: Professional Electrical Diagnostic Tool for Electricians- Light Indicator Glows when House & Car Fuses, Low Voltages Light Sockets & Circuits are Complete

These do leave a small pin hole in the wire and if concerned use electrical tape to cover. Should be all you need. Good Luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks rickaren. I bought a car stereo tool kit from the local Walmart because it had a plastic panel removal tool and a computer/airbag safe test light. The test light turns red with 12v power and blue with chassis ground. Basically idiot proof, I hope. Only thing is it needs to be plugged into the 12v port in the dash with power for the ground light to come on.

I was more wondering how to make contact with the wire without stripping it, but if the light tester will puncture the wire casing then I have no worries. Once I find the wire I am looking for, I'll just use the quick connects I have at the spot with the hole. Hopefully I find it on the first try and am not taping all the wires under the dash.

Thanks again for all your help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was able to get my back up camera installed on Saturday. It turns out there are 2 white/light green wires in the kick panel. One one of them is the reverse trigger wire. It was too hard to get to it in the kick panel, so I pulled up the carpet on the drivers side floor and found it there. That is also where I found the chassis ground as well. Pictures below.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,327 Posts
Great News Topher39! Thanks for your reply and pictures. Sure will help others in the future. That is what we are all about here. Sorry we could not help you being the first with this issue, but now thanks to you, the next should find the answers now, HERE.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts