Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Key problem

I have a 2007 Dodge Nitro and the spare key will turn the vehicle on but the vehicle only runs about 5 to 10 seconds. The original key works fine. Can I reprogram the key myself or do I take it to the dealer? What is the cost?

·
Super Moderator
23,350 Posts
I have a 2007 Dodge Nitro and the spare key will turn the vehicle on but the vehicle only runs about 5 to 10 seconds. The original key works fine. Can I reprogram the key myself or do I take it to the dealer? What is the cost?
Welcome! Do you have an Owner's Manual for your Nitro? If so just turn to page 15 and it should answer all your questions. Sure your Dealer can do it but why? "Customer Key Programing Procedure" You can order blank keys that require being cut "On-Line" cheaply,too. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Keys

Hello all new to this site as of today. Just got a 07 Nitro used from used car dealer today. Looked it over for about 2hrs before we decided to buy. Drives ok but has those off-road tires all terrains that I hate. thing is I need to get some help on a few things. This is the first vehicle that I have bought that has no literature in the glove box. NONE. So I need some on it. I know that its all base has the 3.7 in it but from there that's it. BASE. Also I need to know if the keys for these sport utes are or have a chip. OH got one stinking key. No fob just a light tan looking thing that starts the engine and unlocks the door. Dealer says he will order me a new one. 1 (one). Can I get the ones on ebay and program them myself? If so is there a link to this procedure on this forum? I can say that its an ok vehicle but I'm getting off to a slow start. And knowledgeable help will work right now. thank you for your time I am sure I will return soon.

·
Super Moderator
23,350 Posts
Welcome Silver_Box

This Link for a free Download of the Factory Owners Manual should help you get started. Get that free remote from your Dealer since they are expensive and pick another one up "Online" at a much lower price that from the Parts Department.

Hope this helps and look around to answer many of your other questions!

Good Luck!

My Dodge: Dodge Owners Service Manuals - Dodge Cars, Minivans, SUVs

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks

Rick thank you for that help with the manual that was what I was looking for. Now the key on the other hand the dealer lost their minds. $195 for the for and $60 to program. NO. found them on ebay going to order them there and program myself. I do have one question have you seen these and if so do they work well?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CHRYSLER-JEEP-DODGE-FLIP-KEY-ALL-IN-ONE-KEYLESS-ENTRY-KEY-REMOTE-FOB-ALARM-/190850614921?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2007%7CMake%3ADodge%7CModel%3ANitro&hash=item2c6f954689&vxp=mtr

·
Super Moderator
23,350 Posts
Rick thank you for that help with the manual that was what I was looking for. Now the key on the other hand the dealer lost their minds. $195 for the for and $60 to program. NO. found them on ebay going to order them there and program myself. I do have one question have you seen these and if so do they work well?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CHRYSLER-JEEP-DODGE-FLIP-KEY-ALL-IN-ONE-KEYLESS-ENTRY-KEY-REMOTE-FOB-ALARM-/190850614921?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2007%7CMake%3ADodge%7CModel%3ANitro&hash=item2c6f954689&vxp=mtr

I bought a programed key "Online" several years ago for another vehicle and it worked just fine at a considerable savings. Most Ebay purchases now have a guarantee. Go for it and Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Welcome to the forum

:cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
UK Owner needs to find parts and a new key

Hi,
I live in Bucks in the U.K and I cannot find anywhere that I can buy parts from. Also, I only have one key and cannot find out how I go about getting a second. Can anyone help me? It seems all the dodge dealerships have closed!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Look for a FIAT /Alfa Romeo dealer.
Now all support on Europe are on the owner of Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge: FIAT.

Not all FIAT dealers have Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler, but they can order parts.
And if anybody tell us where we can buy parts on USA, perfect!! I need center console and there are "NO TIME" to have it on Spain.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Driver Door Locked/Doesn't Open

I have a problem and wondering if anyone has come across this or knows what the problem might be/how to fix it.

The key fob works and opens/closes the deadlock pin but the drivers door wont open from either the outside or inside :confused:
(I don't have any problems with the other doors).
I would guess that there is a problem with the mechanism/latch inside the drivers door.
What do you think?
TIA

BTW: It's a real PITA having to climb across the passenger seat to get in :(

·
Registered
16 Posts
Many thanks for the replies.
I'll pass on this very useful info to local independent garage who will be fixing the problem under my WMS Warranty (hopefully - we'll see how good/bad the warranty actual is).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Typical :rolleyes:
...went out this morning to take the Nitro down to the garage and the door opened fine.
Decided to take it down anyway, as I was booked in, to get it checked over.
Just had a call to say that everything appears ok and that there are no faults.
Weird :confused:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well blow me down :rolleyes:
Temperature dropped down to -4 Thursday evening and woke up Friday morning to a frozen Nitro.
I went to open the drivers door and....yep! couldn't open it :mad:
I guess that the lock actuator mechanism froze - being that it is a sealed unit I can only assume that the water has got to it and frozen the mechanism - a right PITA!
Anyway, I've ordered a new drivers door lock actuator unit from the Dodge dealership = £120 :eek:
Hopefully, I should be able to claim this back through my warranty.

Bloomin' typical, 2 days later, when the temperature had risen, the door opened fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Eventually got to the bottom of this :)
It turns out that the seal on the lock actuator unit was letting water in and thus, when the temperature dropped, caused it freeze and fail.
Interestingly enough, the new unit had been modified in this area - thus something the manufacturer must have known about :rolleyes:
Anyway, new one in and no further issues :)
It was also covered under warranty = happy days :D

·
Super Moderator
23,350 Posts
Eventually got to the bottom of this :)
It turns out that the seal on the lock actuator unit was letting water in and thus, when the temperature dropped, caused it freeze and fail.
Interestingly enough, the new unit had been modified in this area - thus something the manufacturer must have known about :rolleyes:
Anyway, new one in and no further issues :)
It was also covered under warranty = happy days :D
Thanks for the update and glad it was covered. Someone knew about this defective designed part but wanted the owner to pay for the replacement. It should have been a recall, but was just cheaper to replace the few that were covered under factory warranty and then sell the replacements at full list price. Many many parts on all cars are designed this way!

Again great news for you!

·
Super Moderator
23,350 Posts
Dodge Key Fob Battery Replacement & Disassembly

Dodge Key Fob Battery Replacement & Disassembly

Published on Mar 31, 2013

Video tutorial on how to replace the battery and complete disassemble of a Dodge key fob. All you need to slip apart the case is a flat screw (standard) screw driver or possibly a thin coin. The disassemble includes how to open the case, remove the battery, circuit board, and buttons. This takes a Lithium battery, model number CR2032. This key fob is found in the years of 2004 to 2011 and the models include Durango, Dakota, Magnum, Ram 1500, Ram 2500, Ram 3500, Charger, Nitro, Caliber, and Avenger. Part number 05175786AA.

Programming Key Instruction:
1. Turn your key to the "Run" position, but do not start the engine. Shut the doors and wait for the warning beeps to stop.
2. Hold the "Unlock" button on the currently programmed remote for five seconds, and then press and hold the "Panic" button (while still holding "Unlock") for one second.
3. Press and hold the "Lock" and "Unlock" button on the same remote for a few seconds, then release the buttons and press the "Unlock" button.
4. Press and hold the "Lock" and "Unlock" button on the new remote, then release the buttons and press the "Unlock" button. Repeat the procedure for up to four remotes within 30 seconds.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts