Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Article published Sunday, June 8, 2008

Jeep should survive bumpy road, experts say

For the men and women who build sport utility vehicles in Toledo and those whose families rely on them, the river of bad news in the auto industry lately has run so deep and wide that even the venerable Jeep might have trouble crossing it.

•Sales of Toledo-made SUVs have plummeted 24 percent so far this year from 2007 levels.

•Consumer trends across the automotive industry indicate that Americans have abandoned their 20-year love affair with trucks and SUVs in the face of $4-a-gallon gasoline. The shift in buying habits has been so sudden that General Motors Corp. announced last week that it will close four truck plants and is studying the sale or elimination of its once-popular Hummer line of SUVs.

•Almost 20 percent of the work force at the Toledo Jeep Assembly complex - more than 650 workers - accepted company buyouts this spring, and 100 were laid off when Chrysler LLC eliminated the third shift there.

Despite months of anxiety surrounding one of the region's largest employers, industry analysts and others associated with Toledo's most famous products predict they - and their plants - will traverse these harrowing times in the automotive industry.

"Everybody's not going to switch to cars," Joseph Phillippi, an industry analyst with AutoTrends Consulting in Short Hills, N.J., explained. "The Jeep brand has got just an enormous amount of global brand equity. It's recognized all over the world for its capabilities.

"It delivers on the brand's promise in every way. [Chrysler] is not going to sell a lot of Grand Cherokees around the world, but they'll sell a lot of Wranglers and Libertys."

Article
LINK:
toledoblade.com -- Jeep should survive bumpy road, experts say

·
Registered
18 Posts
They should stop building a POS. Lets face it Dodge is ranked bellow Kia in customer quality satisfaction!! :eek: So when your building SHIT your not going to keep jobs for hard working americans!! My R/T was built like pooh and my dealer has no clue how to fix it and when they do work on it it comes back with plastic broken off interior parts or not assembled properly or even worse NOT FIXED! Sorry but I've supported CHRYSLER for the past 10 years w/vehicles and I won't buy another, and that my freind is why people are unemployed and vehicles are chopped!!!;)

·
Super Moderator
23,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They should stop building a POS. Lets face it Dodge is ranked bellow Kia in customer quality satisfaction!! :eek: So when your building SHIT your not going to keep jobs for hard working americans!! My R/T was built like pooh and my dealer has no clue how to fix it and when they do work on it it comes back with plastic broken off interior parts or not assembled properly or even worse NOT FIXED! Sorry but I've supported CHRYSLER for the past 10 years w/vehicles and I won't buy another, and that my freind is why people are unemployed and vehicles are chopped!!!;)
Don't agree with your POS statement. I'm impressed every day with mine. Just moved 500 pounds of rock in mine yesterday. This thing doesn't look tough, but it is, weighting about 4,200 pounds. Yes it does not look heavy duty with all the plastic inside and out.

As far as your statement on quality there seems to be a big improvement:

Chrysler brand is 2nd most improved in new study J.D. Power released the results of its annual Automotive Performance, Execution, and Layout (APEAL) study. The study is designed to measure owners’ delight with the design, content, layout, and performance of their new vehicles after 90 days of ownership. Customers were selected from November and December 2007, and January 2008 vehicle registrations. The Chrysler brand was the second most-improved nameplate in the industry with a score of 759 with a gain of 19 points, primarily due to the redesigned Town & Country. The Dodge brand scored 747 with an improvement of 10 points, primarily due to the redesigned Grand Caravan, the Dodge Magnum being the award segment recipient and Dodge Charger placing second in the large car segment. The Jeep® brand scored 722 with an improvement of 4 points. The 2008 industry average score of 770 declined by 2 points from 2007 results.

Yes I don't see the NITRO broken out, but Chrysler & Dodge are improving. As far as repairs you must not have a really good Dealer to service your NITRO as I do. You may want to check out another.

Sorry to hear of your issues, but I would hope they could be addressed under warranty at a good Chrysler Service Department, or if you would contact Chrysler directly with your complaints.

As far as it being discontinued I just think that Chrysler wants to push the JEEP, and 2009 may be the last for the Dodge Nitro. For me I understood all of this before I bought mine and just wanted an R/T before production was canceled.

Did a lot of research first and found most that were un-happy with the NITRO did not have an R/T with it's unique engine, transmission and suspension. I did buy all the available extended Chrysler service contracts to protect myself, just in case, but so far no complaints.

Good Luck if you attempt to get satisfaction with your NITRO, (it should not be that hard if you change Service Departments) and you will really need it if you would buy a KIA, in my opinion!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I can honestly say that the pirce of gas IS making me change my mind about buying a Nitro. Now with the news that the 2009 line will probably be the last of the Nitro, I am without question, changing my decision. I absolutely LOVE the look of the Nitro. I got a chance to sit in one when I was home on R&R from Iraq. My wife didn't really like the "cheap" look of the interior compared to the other SUV's that we were looking at. I agree that it is not up to what the Saturn Vue or Chevy Equinox is on the inside but the MyGig was enough to make me happy. I figured that I would buy one from AAFES and be a very happy camper.

I did a BUNCH of research online getting as much info as I could. Most reviews were not that great but this forum (and others) stated how much REAL owners enjoyed the vehicle so I was willing to take a chance. Getting high teens (at best) for mileage in the R/T is not exactly "thrifty" at the pump. I wanted the Nitro for the look and the extra room. I did a reassessment and how often would I NEED or USE that space? The answer is very rarely.

I am now looking into different cars. The Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Nissan Altima and Chevy Malibu are on my short list now. Right now I am 90% sold on the Accord which has been rated REAL good across the board and gets a lot better gas mileage.

I am very disappointed by our state of economy and what this has meant to me not getting the vehicle that I really wanted, the Nitro R/T. I just cannot see dumping $30K into a vehicle that Dodge will not continue to make. I salute all of you Nitro owners and wish all luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Don't agree with your POS statement. I'm impressed every day with mine. Just moved 500 pounds of rock in mine yesterday. This thing doesn't look tough, but it is, weighting about 4,200 pounds. Yes it does not look heavy duty with all the plastic inside and out.

As far as your statement on quality there seems to be a big improvement:

Chrysler brand is 2nd most improved in new study J.D. Power released the results of its annual Automotive Performance, Execution, and Layout (APEAL) study. The study is designed to measure owners’ delight with the design, content, layout, and performance of their new vehicles after 90 days of ownership. Customers were selected from November and December 2007, and January 2008 vehicle registrations. The Chrysler brand was the second most-improved nameplate in the industry with a score of 759 with a gain of 19 points, primarily due to the redesigned Town & Country. The Dodge brand scored 747 with an improvement of 10 points, primarily due to the redesigned Grand Caravan, the Dodge Magnum being the award segment recipient and Dodge Charger placing second in the large car segment. The Jeep® brand scored 722 with an improvement of 4 points. The 2008 industry average score of 770 declined by 2 points from 2007 results.

For one the dealer is a FIVE STAR which to me means nothing just hype! I can't go to another dealer because I am in the process of going through the LEMMON LAW and need to keep going to the same place. I love the concept , look, and style of my truck but way unhappy with the quality of the build. The Magnum will be gone next year , Minivan they should be perfect because they pretty much invented the segment, Charger is a Charger! I used to have faith in the brand but my past two vehicles were just one problem after another and my Jeep Commander LMTD was at many diff. dealers and still had issues. You are happy and I will not argue the fact that I am an unlucky one, I just have no more faith in the brand.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As for me, a Nitro owner and a Chrysler employee, I can truely say that the tough times are here. Here in Orlando at the southeast parts distribution center wre getting about 30 laid off employees from Toledo and else where that were willing to relocate...management is very tight lipped right now and with good reason- everyone sees a dark cloud looming. Walter P. must be rolling in his grave seeing what has become of his beloved company. I've been a mopar man all my life- and will continue to support how I can. Here is the kicker though.... the Nornet is going to be built in- ... you guessed it-China- by the Chery Automotive group over there-they don't expect one here until 2011.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Article published Sunday, June 8, 2008

•Consumer trends across the automotive industry indicate that Americans have abandoned their 20-year love affair with trucks and SUVs in the face of $4-a-gallon gasoline. The shift in buying habits has been so sudden that General Motors Corp. announced last week that it will close four truck plants and is studying the sale or elimination of its once-popular Hummer line of SUVs.

LINK:
toledoblade.com -- Jeep should survive bumpy road, experts say
Anyone with enough coin to toss around to be able to afford a Hummer is definately not worried about rising gas prices, that much I can gaurantee you. GM will probably never stop production of it. They might limit the number produced, but Hummer has been around forever and it's not going anywhere. And I didn't buy a Nitro soley for its looks... I have to have an SUV for work, and the Nitro I bought was the best deal going. I just bought it last week, and i got it for $10,000 less than any other mid sized suv on the market. It is an '07, but with only 7000km on it, it might as well have been new. And since I picked it up for under $18,000, and my company pays the gas I use, I can't complain. Not to mention most minivans have roughly the same size engine, and get the same mileage... SUV's will be around for years to come, no matter what happens at the pumps... Women feel safe in them, men feel manly in them, and not everyone has the option of driving some little Hyundai Accent, or Suzuki Swift, that you can't fit cargo, or a family into... So while sales may be declining and gas prices may be rising, trucks, vans, and suvs are a much needed type of vehicle, and so if the Automotive industry gets off its ass and starts making more hydrogen, hybrid, electric, and compressed air powertrains for them, they will continue to roll the roads. Why they didn't start making these powertrains years ago, when we know for a fact that none of which are a new technology can only be all the big $$$$ the governments, and motor corparations have invested in oil. Hell 15 years ago I saw a documentary about a car powered by nothing but water. Anyone who took science in high school has seen the experiment involving the electrolosis of water and how it seperates into pure hydrogen and oxygen in there gaseous states. If you put a burning stick in the beaker with hydrogen it explodes, and put it into the oxygen beaker it burns like crazy. Someone had applied this experiment into real life and built a car around the concept. Fill the tank with water, which is seperated by electrolosis, then inject the two gases into the engine and you get a perfect, powerful explosion. But no motor corp wanted any part of it, because this kind of technology means every rich prick on the planet who has invested in oil is put in financial risk. And so now only because of the pressure of the people, who are worried about global warming and the future of our planet have we started to see a slight change. The hybrid is absolutely ridiculous by the way. They invented something to look like they care, but don't have to eliminate the use of oil... France is starting production of the exact same technology using compressed air, in place of fuel.... Have you heard about in on american TV? No, of course not, because it doesn't use oil.
YouTube - The Air Car

1 - 7 of 7 Posts