Dodge Nitro Forum banner

61 - 80 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Suggestion - Changing Oil Filter

I honestly don't know if anyone has suggested this 'tip' or not but I figured I'd put it out there for those interested.

I, like so many others, have had a hard time getting my oil filter off for a change out. I have 3 oil filter wrenches but not enough space to use them on Nellie.

I remembered that Billy Mays had given me (I work with his brother) a set of "GRIP Wrenches" quite a few years ago. I use them for many things.

Well I used the smaller out of the two and it works fantastic. I think I remember seeing them in Wal-Mart and Walgreens drug store.

They don't cost much and worth a try.

Cheers, Rickie Lee :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm hoping this post that I put up yesterday may help: Suggestion - Oil Filter Change

Anyone figure out the secret to changing the oil filter on the 3.7?:mad: Took me 40 minutes to get the damn thing off.....very bad place to put the filter. Anyways, is there some easy way to get it done? I don't wanna have to pay someone to change my damn oil its ridiculous.:( Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the 3.7 and it is a pain in the ass, the one time i tried to do it i couldnt because my forearms are to big and get caught while I am trying to reach up in there. When I finally got the filter off, i noticed it was a short one and that was the first problem. There are 2 filters that are made for the 09, a long and a short. Using the long filter has been the best so far, I have a friend who can get their arm up in there to twist it off by hand. They find it best to lay with their feet towards the back of the truck (basically laying all the way under the truck) than they reach up in and crank it off slowly than put the new one back on. No easy way to do it on the 3.7, hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
RT oil consumption?

Hi! Has anyone else had a problem with the 4.0L and oil consumption? My Nitro has approx 78,000km on it and it is going through about 2 litres of oil between each oil change. There is no evidence of leakage and no warning lights come on. Dealership is having us complete an oil consumption record. Please let me know if it is not just me!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I haven't changed the oil on my 2.8 CRD yet, (but i will be soon as i'm only going to go to the dealer every second service now that the warrantee's over)
but i think you have to remove the sump protection plate first.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
1 Posts
conventional to synthetic

Is there anything I should do or know before changing over to a full synthetic oil, like royal purple? Or will it even make much of a difference?

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
It'll make a difference to your pocket book only. You will still need to change your oil at the specified period.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Running with synthetic oil will provide some increase in gas mileage, allow the engine to run cooler and provide 5,000 mile oil changes instead of 3,000 mile.Synthetic oil also provides better lubrication with less breakdown. Now the weakest link in the system is the oil filter. Use a good quality oil filter will help as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
forget the oil filter

Man, this is the first time I've ever not been able to get to an oil filter. I have the 2007 Dodge Nitro 3.7 L and I've never in my life seen such a horrible design for an engine compartment. I mean really, the only thing you replace in your vehicle more than oil is gas... if you couldn't find a better place to put the oil filter at least could you leave room to get to it. I'm 39 years old and for the first time since I've been 14 I'll have to take this to a "professional" to get the oil changed. THANKS A LOT DODGE!!!!....NOT

Don't get me wrong, I love my Nitro, but not being able to do the easiest and most common service to my own car sucks!

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
One of the benefits my dealer offers is the first oil change is free! Also, my salesman gave me the Platinum Service Rewards Card, which includes 2 free oil changes. Since I change my oil every 5K, I am set for about a 1.5 years until I have to worry about this.
:cool:

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Sorry, I have the 4.0 and it could not be simpler. The oil filter is right next to the drain plug.
So, is it just the 3.7 that are a pain or the 4.0's as well?
Here is post #4 from this thread. It appears that this problem is only for the 3.7, which seems odd to me. The 3.7 is based on the 4.7 V8, which was designed to be a truck engine. These two engines were never available in cars, only trucks. So, one might conclude that the placement of the oil filter would be compatible with a truck suspension, drive train, etc.. The 4.0 was designed as a car engine, I believe both mounted both sideways and longitudinally. Obviously, the engineers did their homework when they placed the filter on this engine. You are a lucky one!
:cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
how to change the oil filter

Just changed mine for the 1st time on 2008 nitro. Took 20 minutes. Here's exactly how you have to do it. You must lay perpendicular to the car with your face on the drivers side and feet on the passengers side. You must remove it with your left hand. Because of the way the arm bends and the lack of openings in the truck, this is the only way to get in there. It's about 5 inches higher than the bottom of the radiator and go toward the back of the truck from the radiator about 6-8 inches. It is in there at a slight angle, not straight up and down. There is only room for one hand and if you try it with your body the other direction and using your right hand, you will probably never get it. Buy a filter that says secure grip. they have a real tacky easy to grab material coated on them. This will help you tighten it. The oil drain plug is the super easy part.

·
Registered
2 Posts
here is how to change your oil filter

Just changed mine for the 1st time on 2008 nitro. Took 20 minutes. Here's exactly how you have to do it. You must lay perpendicular to the car with your face on the drivers side and feet on the passengers side. You must remove it with your left hand. Because of the way the arm bends and the lack of openings in the truck, this is the only way to get in there. It's about 5 inches higher than the bottom of the radiator and go toward the back of the truck from the radiator about 6-8 inches. It is in there at a slight angle, not straight up and down. There is only room for one hand and if you try it with your body the other direction and using your right hand, you will probably never get it. Buy a filter that says secure grip. they have a real tacky easy to grab material coated on them. This will help you tighten it. The oil drain plug is the super easy part.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Changing Oil Filter - This makes it easier

Here is how I made changing the oil filter on a 2008 Dodge Nitro w/ 3.7 L a "little" easier: There is a black piece of plastic used as a funnel located under the oil filter (same one the Jeep Liberty 3.7 has only there is more room to get to filter on the Liberty than Nitro). I removed this piece of plastic and I had to ruin it to remove it. However, if you just tuck some newspaper between engine and filter you can deflect the oil draining and still keep your motor clean. The plastic is bolted to vehicle by a 13mm nut and a small bolt holding it on. Remove them. Then, use good tin snips and work at cutting away the plastic "ear" on the driver side where small bolt was. When you finally have cut high enough up on that ear, the plastic will pull through toward the passenger - downward side. Discard plastic. Replace 13mm nut and tighten. You can then get to the filter with pivoting oil wrench from the front while holding the circular part of wrench from where plastic was. You can also remove and replace filter through the new open area you created where plastic was. To make it easier next oil change, I recommend replacing filter with one that has the rubber grip material on the bottom (like a Fram 3600).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Making the oil filter change on 3.7 easier.

Here is how I made changing the oil filter on a 2008 Dodge Nitro w/ 3.7 L a "little" easier: There is a black piece of plastic used as a funnel located under the oil filter (same one the Jeep Liberty 3.7 has only there is more room to get to filter on the Liberty than Nitro). I removed this piece of plastic and I had to ruin it to remove it. However, if you just tuck some newspaper between engine and filter you can deflect the oil draining and still keep your motor clean. The plastic is bolted to vehicle by a 13mm nut and a small bolt holding it on. Remove them. Then, use good tin snips and work at cutting away the plastic "ear" on the driver side where small bolt was. When you finally have cut high enough up on that ear, the plastic will pull through toward the passenger - downward side. Discard plastic. Replace 13mm nut and tighten. You can then get to the filter with pivoting oil wrench from the front while holding the circular part of wrench from where plastic was. You can also remove and replace filter through the new open area you created where plastic was. To make it easier next oil change, I recommend replacing filter with one that has the rubber grip material on the bottom (like a Fram 3600). This made changing the oil on the Nitro easier for me - hope it helps others too.

61 - 80 of 115 Posts