Dodge Nitro Forum banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
Fiat Chrysler recall: Steering wheel part can be projectile

July 10, 2020

Detroit – Fiat Chrysler is recalling more than 1.2 million older minivans and SUVs worldwide because plastic emblems on the steering wheels can loosen and become projectiles if the driver’s air bag is inflated in a crash.

The company says it has 14 reports of drivers being injured because of the problem.

The plastic emblems on the steering wheels of older Fiat Chrysler minivans and SUVs, including the 2010 Dodge Caravan, shown, can loosen and become projectiles if the driver’s air bag is inflated in a crash.

The recall covers Chrysler Town & Country and Dodge Caravan minivans from the 2008 through 2010 model years, as well Dodge Nitro SUVs from 2007 through 2011.

The company says the emblems are held by clips that can loosen and disengage over time and get hurled at drivers if there is a crash. No passengers sitting in other seats have been hurt, the company says.

Fiat Chrysler says drivers who notice loose emblems should contact a dealer and should not tamper with them. The company says it no longer uses the clips in its vehicles.

FCA is recalling more than 1.2 million older minivans and SUVs, including the 2007 Dodge Nitro, shown

Owners will be notified of the recall starting next month. Dealers will replace the air bag covers on the steering wheel at no cost to owners.

Customers with concerns can call Fiat Chrysler at (800) 853-1403.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Statement: Driver Air Bag Cover

July 10, 2020 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - FCA US is voluntarily recalling an estimated 925,239 older-model vehicles in the U.S. to replace the air bag covers on their steering wheels.

An FCA investigation discovered these vehicles are equipped with certain clips, no longer in use, that may – over time – loosen and disengage. Should these things happen, and there is a driver-side air bag deployment, the clips and/or plastic emblems they are meant to secure, may act as projectiles.

FCA is aware of 14 potentially related injuries, none of which involved occupants of front-passenger or rear seats.

The recall is limited to model-year 2007-2011 Dodge Nitro SUVs, and model-year 2008-2010 Chrysler Town & Country and Dodge Grand Caravan minivans.

FCA will begin mailing recall notices to registered vehicle owners next month. The Company urges customers to follow the instructions therein.

In the interim, FCA strongly advises against tampering with the emblems, which are located in the center of the vehicles’ steering wheels.

The air bags associated with this campaign were not supplied by Takata.

Customers with additional questions or concerns may call (800) 853-1403.

Additional vehicles will be subject to recall in Canada (est. 188,249), Mexico (est. 24,139) and certain markets outside North America (est. 66,120).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 7, 2020 NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V396000
Brand Emblem and Securing Nuts May be Projectiles
Projectiles as a result of driver air bag deployment in the event of a crash can increase the risk of injury.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V396000

Manufacturer Chrysler (FCA US LLC)

Components STEERING, AIR BAGS

Potential Number of Units Affected 925,239

Summary

Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain 2008-2010 Chrysler Town and Country and Dodge Grand Caravan and 2007-2011 Dodge Nitro vehicles. These vehicles may have a loose or missing brand emblem in the center of the steering wheel. The loose emblem or the securing nuts for the emblem within the driver air bag module may become projectiles in the event of a driver air bag deployment.

Remedy

Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will replace the driver's air bag cover with a redesigned cover, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin August 26, 2020. Owners may contact FCA US LLC customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is W09.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently purchased a 2007 Nitro SLT 4x4, with 18K miles, and when I fill up the tank, as soon as the nozzle shuts off indicating the tank is full, about a half gallon of gas comes gushing out of the tank. Naturally gas gets all over the car, the ground and is still coming out of the nozzle. I'm not topping off, in fact I don't even get the chance. I've never had this kind of problem with any other vehicle before and would like some sort of clue of what this is before contact the dealer. Has anyone else had this problem, or familiar with what this is?
Ya mine does it also. 2010

·
Super Moderator
24,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
Gas Overflowing

I just had the same problem with my 07 nitro R/T. Took it to the dealer,they had to replace me whole gas tank. They told me there is a valve that is supposed to let air out of the tank when refueling that is molded into the tank. The only way to replace the valve was to replace the tank, luckily for me it's covered by warranty.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts