Dodge Nitro Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Great info. thanks for the replies everyone. I think I'm going with the Bosch Platnium plus mainly cause I found them on sale for 2.59 ea. I was just suprised how much the Box stores computers varied. I found a link that has good info. on the plugs that are available for the 3.7l

Sparkplugs.com - Application Search Results
Nice find! Got to love these forums! Have a great day.

:cool:

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
That is a good price, I paid about $30CDN for a set with tax. For that price i'd get two sets and be ready for the next change. What box store is that? Don't say walmart.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That is a good price, I paid about $30CDN for a set with tax. For that price i'd get two sets and be ready for the next change. What box store is that? Don't say walmart.

Nope got'em at Oreilly's....I got 6 Plugs and 2Qts. of Royal Purple Synchromax(11.99ea) all for 39.52+tax

Changed plugs and Tranny fluid Sunday after Church. Was pretty easy job. With new plugs rough Idle is gone and with new fluid 6speed shifts like butter now! Took about 2hrs to do everything. Old NGK V power plugs were toast with just over 30k miles on them(original plugs)gaps ranged from.048 to .063! monitoring gas mileage and will update after a few tanks.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
I slapped a set of IR Fusion plugs in my 3.7L in October(much easier to change I might add) and it is like getting 2 more cylinders under the hood!!!!
How many miles, and what was the condition of the plugs you removed?

Although this is a great write up, I do not see the reasoning to change the plugs so early, especially when the truck is still under warranty. It would seem to me that a dealer could use this modification to not honor any issue that might come up in the future. That being said, I will wait until my warranty expires before I look into this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Your so right dhh3 .. They will turn their head on you when something goes wrong ..not to mention the plugs that come in the nitros are very high end platinum plugs and are rated for 100k pluse ..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Best spark plugs for 4.0 engine?

Hey guys,

I just recently changed my spark plugs on my 2007 Nitro R/T 4.0 with 77k miles on it because the engine was a little sluggish. I installed Bosch Platinum +4 plugs and it seems like my MPG went down...from 18.6 to 17.7 average (this is in 2 days of regular driving to and from work). I will be going on a road trip this weekend which will total about 2500 miles. I will keep you guys posted on the mileage. (PS, to the effect of the engine being sluggish, the new plugs seem to give it its power back).

To my question...has anyone had any experience with any other spark plugs other than stock? I am looking at NGK Iridium IX plugs and also Autolite Iridium plugs. From reading some other forums the E3 Diamond Fire plugs seem to kill MPGs as well. Any feedback would be great!!!

Thanks in advance.
Paul

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
there are threads on here for plugs that members have used and are happy with, i have the 3.7 with Bosch plugs. found better performance and fuel. Go to the dealer and they will tell you that these plugs are not 'recommended'.

·
Super Moderator
23,237 Posts
there are threads on here for plugs that members have used and are happy with, i have the 3.7 with Bosch plugs. found better performance and fuel. Go to the dealer and they will tell you that these plugs are not 'recommended'.
I have a Chrysler 100K/7 year maintenance service contract on my Nitro and it will replace my factory spark plugs at 100,000 for free! That 100K figure will not be reached under the time limits or even in my lifetime! Guess the factory plugs are so great that they have a lifetime guarantee in my case...:D:D

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
The main reason that after market spark plugs are not recommended is because the intake manifold on both the 3.7 and 4.0 is made of a composite material and if the correct temperatures are not met, carbon can build up and cause a misfire. Just an FYI, but there is a method to their madness!

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Changed out my factory plugs at 88,000 miles and the gap was about .060". personally I wouldn't go to 100,000 miles

·
Super Moderator
23,237 Posts
Dodge Nitro 4.0 Intake Removal for Spark Plug Change

Published on Dec 26, 2014

Brief instructional video. I put off changing my spark plugs for a while because the job looked a little daunting. It was much easier than I thought. No videos out that I could find, so I thought I'd make one to help people out. Thanks for watching.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello All,

Proud new Owner of a Nitro 4.0! I want to change the plugs out to some Autolite Iridium's BUT i want to confirm if i need to replace the upper intake manifold gasket when i remove the manifold to replace the plugs...

Any helps appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
23,237 Posts
Dodge Nitro 4.0 Intake Removal for Spark Plug Change

Welcome IamAmin

Here is a video that should help. Good Luck!

Published on Dec 26, 2014

Brief instructional video. I put off changing my spark plugs for a while because the job looked a little daunting. It was much easier than I thought. No videos out that I could find, so I thought I'd make one to help people out. Thanks for watching.

·
Super Moderator
23,237 Posts
How to change spark plugs in dodge nitro 3.7

Published on Feb 9, 2016

·
Super Moderator
23,237 Posts
How to replace spark plugs 3.7

Published on Mar 3, 2017
This is a video showing you how to replace spark plugs in a 2007 dodge nitro 3.7L. The gap on the spark plugs should be .040 I hope this video was helpful and stay tuned for more videos.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts