Dodge Nitro Forum banner

Towing with a Nitro

108K views 83 replies 29 participants last post by  rickaren 
#1 ·
Did a small road trip today of around 150 miles
Picked up my new 18 ft car hauler and towed it home
Towed absolutely perfect, only noise was from the trailer, Nitro had more then More then enough power to pull the triler (weight 1500 lbs) and averaged 19.2 MPG on the way back with the triler about 70% highway 30% city
Cant wait to get the car on the trailer and see how the R/T does with 4500 lbs on the back

#3 ·
Just wanted to give some feed back to the towing capacity of the Nitro.
I used mine to pull a steel 2 horse trailer with 2 1000+ pound horses this weekend. The Nitro seemed to have NO trouble pulling and didn't sag down in the back much at all. The only issue noticed was the stopping distance required qreatly increased. So braking distance needs to be kept in mind while towing a heavy load.

#4 ·
I hope you meant 2100 lbs......

I've towed my ATV trailer (about 2200 lbs loaded) & a pontoon boat (about 2500 lbs) & not had much problem for the most part. But pulling up a mountain pass or even a good sized hill is not done easily with the Nitro. It will gear down & want to turn some RPMs to maintain speed. With that in mind I don't know how anyone could possibly tow 5000 lbs with this thing. I just don't think it's possible on anything but flat ground.

#5 ·
Air,
I am guessing the total weight with the 2 horses (1100 lbs each) and the trailer (1300 lbs) would be about 3500 lbs. I didn't really have to many big hills to cover, just normal Texas highway roads...fairly flat around here. I was just sorta surprised that I didn't feel more strain from the R/T. :)

#6 ·
A few weeks ago I towed my bike in an enclosed trailer 400 miles from Northern California to Los Angeles. I think the weight of the trailer and my bike was 2500lbs. The Nitro performed flawless even going through Grants pass. I stuck it on cruise at 60mph and no problem through the pass.

#7 ·
Im trying to get a SLT with the towing package. The dealer wants to slap a receiver on the back end and tell me "All done". When I ask about the "Power Steering Cooler" & "Heavy Duty Engine Cooling" described under the "Trailer Tow Group" on the build you own section at dodge.com I'm told by parts that these items don't exist or are not necessary. Live chat directed me to the Mopar website. Nothing listed there!

Can anybody tell me if the "Power Steering Cooler" & "Heavy Duty Engine Cooling" are actual parts or a product purely of Dodge markiting dept. Please provide part #s if available.

#8 ·
The power steering cooler and heavy duty engine cooling are real. The difference is a clutch fan on the engine as well as a electric fan. The power steering pump has a cooler on it also. I had a 07 Liberty (same drive train) No tow package. I was going to slap a hitch on it and they told me this would be a problem unless I got the heavy duty cooling. Got a 07 Nitro in exchange under the Lemon law because of trouble with the Liberty tranny. The Nitro has a towing package and it is much different than one without. Your dealer is full of crap. go to a different dealer.

#11 ·
R/T is rated at 5,000 Lbs with the correct hitch (i have the weight distributing hitch and sway control and electric brakes)

towed several times with it both city and highway and have not had one problem
has more then enough power to take off with and keep up easily with traffic, handles excellent and stops with no problems at all

#17 ·
Trailer Hitches

So, I just got a '07 Nitro and plan to put a trailer hitch on,
Priced the wiring harness and hitch thru my local dealer..
OUCH! But here's the biggest question for anyone who has added the hitch,
The Parts guy and the Service Manager confirmed that once trailer lights harness is installed they need to connect a computer to the wiring harness and tell a module that there is now a trailer hitch installed, the service manager said that the lights (brake, tail & turns (it will work without doing that, but I should let them "activate" the Trailer feature in the module..
Has anyone here done this?

#18 ·
I am looking for a hitch receiver to go on my 08 Nitro. I do not have the tow package. I don't need a really heavy duty one. All I plan to use it for is a cargo platform. Is there a certain brand that fits better than the rest? Also, I don't want to have to buy a new bumper. I recently had to replace mine due to my Nitro being backed into in a parking lot and it was quite expensive. Is there a hitch receiver out there that will allow me to keep my current bumper? Any help is greatly appreciated. I am really new at accersory buying and need some guidance. Thanks so much! Happy Trails!!!:)

#19 ·
Need Help With Trailer Wiring

Hi, I have a 2008 Nitro SLT, it came from the factory with the trailer towing package installed. I have used it without any trouble towing a small utility trailer with a 4 pin connector. The trailer towing package came with a adapter to go from the larger 7 pin plug to a 4 wire plug and that all worked fine. Now I have ordered a 6 x 14 enclosed trailer that is going to require trailer brakes. What do I have to do or get to make this all work since I'll need to install an electric brake controller under the dash? Thanks, John

#20 ·
Hi, I have a 2008 Nitro SLT, it came from the factory with the trailer towing package installed. I have used it without any trouble towing a small utility trailer with a 4 pin connector. The trailer towing package came with a adapter to go from the larger 7 pin plug to a 4 wire plug and that all worked fine. Now I have ordered a 6 x 14 enclosed trailer that is going to require trailer brakes. What do I have to do or get to make this all work since I'll need to install an electric brake controller under the dash? Thanks, John
Hi John and Welcome!

Don't know if I can help but I had a unit like that when I pulled a race car around years ago with electric brakes. I believe all that comes with the package I had, even had a battery operated 6V "break-away" that activated if the trailer came loose from the hitch (pull-pin and battery was mounted on the trailer tongue) and would lock-up the electric brakes on the trailer. Never used it as such thank god but great please-of-mind add-on. I also had the under dash manual controller too. Does your Owner's Manual have anything about this? If not wouldn't you have to buy this add on with parts and instructions? I know some of the Dodge Ram's comes with this from the factory. Does the newer Nitros, too? If not any add-on Kit (do an "On-Line" search) should have everything you need unless you have to purchase a battery for the highly recommended "Break-away" unit. If you purchased your trailer new they will have it, or any trailer shop. Good Luck. Hope this helps some. Let us know what you do.

Here is one Link: 2008 Dodge Nitro Brake Controller search with the Hitch Hunter ™ by etrailer.com (800) 298-8924

This post has been deleted
#22 ·
f/s Hitch for 2007 Nitro

Hey All,
Yes, I'm new to this forum. I stumbled across your forum trying to figure out ways to list my hitch for sale. I promise...this is legit...i'm not a nigerian prince looking to sell one :D

It's a class III U-Haul hitch (rated up to 5000 lbs). I installed it back in '07 when I first got my Nitro, but now the lease is up, so I don't have a use for it any longer.

All bolts & washers are included & I'm throwing in the wiring harness as well (it's one that you have to splice into the wiring of the Nitro. I did so right in the back 'compartment' where the jack is stored).

I'm asking $150 for it (U-Haul sells it new for $190) & is in perfect condition (I just gotta clean it up w/ some soap & water). Reasonable offers will be entertained as well, so don't be shy about asking either ;)

I prefer it to be a local pickup - I'm in NC, and local for me is anywhere between High Point/Winston Salem to about an hour east of Raleigh. Shipping is possible as well, but we can discuss details of that if you're interested. (If you're in the Ashville region, I'll be out there Memorial Day weekend. Out by the OBX area? I'll be over there sometime in July)

I also have a spare mount & ball as well that can be had for $20 as well.

Any questions, feel free to ask!

#23 ·
Just bought a new Nitro Dentonator with 30 gb harddrive, nav, sat radio, 4x4, sunroof and tow package. So far so good. Have not owned a dodge since 1997 and have never owned an SUV. I think the owners manual is lacking. The thing mentions nothing in relation to towing a trailer? UGH. Good thing we have forums!

#24 ·
Welcome! Sounds Cool! Post some pictures. I also have the trailer package as I have on last three or four vehicles and never needed or really wanted to pull a trailer but wanted all the HD equipment package.

Here is a new LINK that I created for Trailer Towing using my 2007 R/T Owners Manual. The info shown should be usable for your new 2010 NITRO. Hope this answers some questions not already addressed on your DVD Owners Manual. Also I thought I read somewhere you had the option as a new NITRO owner to request a paper Owners Manual, at no charge. If not even if you had to pay a fee for one it might be a good investment. Might want to check that option out. Good luck and hopefully this Link will help.

http://www.dodge-nitro.com/forums/f5/nitro-trailer-towing-5335/#post11330

#25 ·
I realize this is an old thread, but I will answer it anyway. Anytime one adds a factory electric/electronic accessory, the vehicle must be connected to a StarScan computer, so that the VIN can be updated to show the new installed part as if it were factory installed. This also allows whatever was added to actually work! Go figure - more money for the dealer. :cool:

#26 ·
I have a Dodge Nitro R/T and tow a 4000lb Trailer with electric brakes. I tow in 4th gear but as I get up to 90 km/hr (55 Miles/hr) it starts to climb over 3000rpm. On interstates I would like to cruise around 100km/hr (60 miles/hr). Is it safe to switch to Drive to lower the rpm or should I stay in 4th gear?

#27 ·
I have a Dodge Nitro R/T and tow a 4000lb Trailer with electric brakes. I tow in 4th gear but as I get up to 90 km/hr (55 Miles/hr) it starts to climb over 3000rpm. On interstates I would like to cruise around 100km/hr (60 miles/hr). Is it safe to switch to Drive to lower the rpm or should I stay in 4th gear?

#29 · (Edited)
You should be all set to go. If your trailer has a round 7-pin plug, all you need to do is plug it into the round receptacle by the hitch. If your trailer has a standard flat 4-pin connector, you will need a round 7-pin to 4-flat adapter which will plug into the receptacle first, then plug your trailer into the end of the adapter. Your Nitro should have come from the factory with the adapter, as my Jeep Commander did. I have one - the part number stamped on it is 56019824. I am not sure about trailer brakes, as these did not become available on the Jeep Commander until 08 or 09. My 06 Commander did not have them, even though I had the 7 pin connector, so I do not believe that Chrysler offered trailer brakes until a year or two ago, at least on the SUV's. If your Nitro did have them, there should be a module located under the dash, on the drivers side. Hope this answers your question.
:cool:

#30 ·
Interesting to read, that the Rules are a little bit other than I am used to.

My 2WD is allowed to tow 2 tons (4400 lb), the 4WD is alowed up to 3.5 tons (7700 lb)
We are not looking for a Weght Distribution of 60% / 40% as described in the Manual, but we have a maximum Load on the Hitch (mine with 100kg), that should always be reached.

Since some Years, our Plugs have 13 Poles, elder with 7 Poles.

Maximum Standard Speed is 80 km/h (50 mph)
Maximum Speed with some technical Additions (Tires max 6 Years old, hydraulic Dampers, Anti Side Rolling Clutch) and some burocratic Issues (the technical Papers of the Trailer have to be changed, the Empty Weight of the car needs to be higher than the Max Weight of the Trailer, a Special "100"-Sticker with a special Stamp needs to be placed on the back of the Trailer) is 100 km/h (60 mph).

No Problems with Towing with 100 km/h. Accelaration is still fantastic,
and I am always using the highest Gear (in flat Areas rolling in the 6th Gear with 2000rpm). In the Hills driving with 2500rpm "upstairs" and I have also no Problems like maybe becoming slower or no reserves for Acceleration.

#31 ·
The 4.0 is only rated to 2000lbs stock
3500lbs w/ tow package (engine oil cooler and maybe a mechanical fan)
>3500lbs to 5000lbs with tow package & weight distribution hitch.

As stated, no tow/haul button on the 4.0.

#32 ·
Welcome to the forum. All the tow package from the factory adds is the hitch, wiring, and a full size spare. There is also a wire under the dash, by the steering column, to hook up an electric trailer brake controller. On the 4.0, it also includes the oil cooler and the mechanical fan. The 3.7 does not require these, as the 3.7 is built to be a truck engine, whereas the 4.0 is a car engine.

:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.