Dodge Nitro Forum banner

Dodge Nitro: Upgrading to a MyGig radio

77K views 87 replies 38 participants last post by  rickaren 
#1 ·
New Navigation News

Email from Dodge.com

Listen up, Nitro fans! You are the first to hear this:

Nitro boasts the latest in integrated automotive navigation and infotainment technology-the Navigation HDD Media Radio that comes complete with Real Time Traffic Control. It's a shot of adrenaline for your senses, and the details are only available here, exclusively to you, as a Nitro update subscriber!

Satellite Navigation Global Positioning System
Real Time Traffic Control via SIRIUS Satellite Radio
Touch-screen LCD monitor with full-color enhanced graphics
Voice-activated commands for navigation, audio, and mobile phone functions

20GB HDD (Hard Disc Drive) memory: preloaded navigation files, plus user-defined MP3 music storage, jpg photos, and voice memo recorder
USB 2.0 drive for downloading and storing media files
Auxiliary input for listening to MP3 player
Ability to control rear DVD menu and watch a DVD while in "park"
Supports multi-zone audio/video operation
Bluetooth connectivity

See less See more
#53 ·
Upgrade 2007 to MyGig Media Center 730N?

Hello all. I am new to Nitro ownership and this forum. I had a question regarding the entertainment systems available. I have a 2007 R/T. It came with the better of the two radios, but UConnect was not installed. I have already ordered the module and an iPod cable for it, but I was wondering, can I just buy and easily install the 2011 MyGig system with Nav? Is it backwards compatible with an 07?

Thank you. P.S. I searched and didn't find the answer.

#54 ·
Yes, it will work because all Nitro model years are high speed bus. You will also need a GPS antenna, and a Sirius antenna if you do not have Sirius already installed. You need to make sure that it fits a Nitro, as some of these radios have a different face plate (mounting points).

:cool:

#55 ·
Thanks for the answer. I just researched it and the cost is nutty. Damn close to $2000 for the stereo. I can get a top of the line Kenwood head with Navi and Bluetooth installed for ~$1600. Anyone know anywhere I can find one cheaper? As it stands, I have the REQ and have ordered the iPod and bluetooth connect for it... I have a standalone GPS, so I may just keep my stock head. I do like the sound quality, just thought having a built in GPS would be cool.

#65 ·
Dodge Nitro: Install MyGig

If I want to replace the OEM radio/CD in a Nitro. Can I just buy a MyGig unit and install it and then use all benefits or do I need any other components?
It´s a Nitro 2.8CRD SXT from 2008 we are talking about here.

I have found a really nice Nitro but it has the OEM radio and I thought I just buy one from ebay and replace it. Are there any special models I should look for?

Btw. Hi, my name is Mikael from Sweden. :cool:

thanks in advance.

#66 ·
Hi there, Mikael from Sweden. Welcome to the forum. All Nitro's run on a High Speed Bus; thus, make sure the unit is High Speed, or it will not work. You will also need the Unlock Code from the Seller. Otherwise, the Nitro will think that it was stolen and not work.

You will need to find the EU version; I think because of the radio frequencies.

Some Mygig's have a Navigation unit built in, some don't. Also, some Mygig's have Uconnect built in, some don't. I believe that the Navigation antenna is built into the Mygig. If you should find a unit that does not come with Uconnect, it can be added as an external module; the module will come with a microphone. If you do not have Uconnect presently installed, you will need to purchase the microphone rear view mirror and harness, if the Mygig you choose has Uconnect built in. Also, some Mygig's come with a Sirius receiver, some do not. If you do not have a radio presently installed with a Sirius receiver, you can still have Sirius in your Mygig, but you will need to add an external antenna.

All of these units are plug and play.

Good luck with your search.

I am basing all of this on what I know about Mygig's in the States; the EU versions may be different.

#67 · (Edited)
Aha, thanks for the reply.

Im not sure I follow, is there not any FM band on MyGig? We use the FM band in EU.

I thought that every MyGIG had built in GPS, Sirius, uConnect. I think my OEM radio/CD has uConnect, this means that I will not need the harness and I can just buy the head unit? I dont need the navigation on MyGIG because I use Navigon on my iPad4 for this and I really dig this and I dont think that MyGIG could replace it.

I was thinking that somebody could say: look for MyGIG High Speed RER,
MyGIG High Speed REN, MyGIG High Speed RBZ etc. What does RER, REN, RBZ mean?

For example, could I buy this http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-CHRYS...&fits=Model:Nitro&hash=item1e7269ce6c&vxp=mtr and just plug it in my Nitro or should I go for this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-CHRYS...&fits=Model:Nitro&hash=item20cb761ad3&vxp=mtr

#68 ·
Good morning, Mikeal

I guess that I confused you. I apologize.

Mygigs use AM, FM, and Siruis. Sirius is an option so some Mygigs may not have the Sirius receiver built in.

The way you can tell if your present radio has Uconnect installed, push the Uconnect button, and see what you get. Have you ever synced you phone to Uconnect? All Mopar radios have the Uconnect buttons, but all vehicles do not have Uconnect installed. The voice will either say: "Uconnect ready", or "Uconnect not available". Try this, and tell me what you get.

If it says "Uconnect ready" then you already have Uconnect installed and this will work with a Mygig Radio. Plug and play.

I have an RBZ Radio. It is a 30 gig HD without Navigation, but with a Sirius Receiver. It does not have built in Uconnect. But, I have the external Uconnect Module. My RBZ is referred to as: Media Center 430.

All of the 3 Letter Designations tell you what the Mygig radio has included:

Sirius/No Sirius
Navigation/No Navigation - and, there are 2 kings of Navigation: one is Garmin and I do not know what the other one is.
Uconnect installed/No Uconnect

I have purchased a radio from OEM before. They are very reputable. They bench test all of their radios, and replace any bad parts and install a new face plate if it is scratched. But, you HAVE to tell them that you are in Sweden. I am pretty sure that the radios offered for the EU are different from the US because the 3 Letter Codes are different. I would hate to see you purchase one, and pay the high shipping costs and not have it work.

Please do this for me: push your Uconnect button on your radio and tell me what you get. Then, I can tell you what you should do next.

Dave

#70 ·
You do not have Factory Installed Uconnect. If you would like Uconnect, you can add the external unit. The kit comes with a microphone. Here is a link to a unit:

Chrysler Dodge Jeep Uconnect Phone Wireless Hands Free Mopar | eBay

It would be a lot easier and cheaper to do it this way. But, I still do not know what the differences are between the US and EU versions of the mygigs.

#72 · (Edited)
Yes, you can. There are 2 options for you if you want Uconnect:

1. Find an EU spec mygig with Uconnect built in. Then, you will need to purchase the microphone rear view mirror and the harness. This would be the most expensive way to do it.

2. Find an EU mygig with out Uconnect built in. Then, purchase the Uconnect module, as I posted in the link above.

If you do not want Uconnect, then just find an EU spec mygig. OEM will be able to help you choose the mygig that will work for you.

#73 ·
[/URL][/IMG]

#74 ·

#75 ·

Enjoy.

#76 ·
Thanks for the help! Really predicated it.
The thing with myGIG for me is not uConnect, not the Sirius radio (I dont even think it works in Sweden) but I want the possibility to connect a back up camera and connect my iPhon or iPad and enjoy my playlists in the car.

Really nice Nitro you got there dhh3! Thanks for sharing.

This post has been deleted
#77 ·
Welcome to the forum

#79 ·
newbie radio upgrade question

I just purchased my 2011 Nitro Heat which I LOVE, however I have a question about the stereo. According to the build sheet from the VIN it should have Uconnect, but there are no buttons on the stereo that show a phone handset like some of the others I have seen on factory units. If I buy a factory stereo that has the phone buttons will it work if I don't have the UConnect? My dealer offered to have a Pioneer FH X820BS installed, but I don't like the looks of it, plus it has too much flashy lights which to me might be distracting. I have an appointment tomorrow to have the aftermarket unit installed, my husband for once agrees with me that I won't be happy with the aftermarket radio.

#80 ·
I just purchased my 2011 Nitro Heat which I LOVE, however I have a question about the stereo. According to the build sheet from the VIN it should have Uconnect, but there are no buttons on the stereo that show a phone handset like some of the others I have seen on factory units. If I buy a factory stereo that has the phone buttons will it work if I don't have the UConnect? My dealer offered to have a Pioneer FH X820BS installed, but I don't like the looks of it, plus it has too much flashy lights which to me might be distracting. I have an appointment tomorrow to have the aftermarket unit installed, my husband for once agrees with me that I won't be happy with the aftermarket radio.
It's interesting that a Dealer would not want to supply and install a Factory Unconect if indeed one could be installed to work or had been installed in the past? He must know something you don't about the radio in the Nitro now. I would hold out for an explanation.

#81 ·
Thank you for the response and yes I agree there is something fishy going on. They are willing to allow me $350 for the aftermarket unit and install, but why not try to get me a factory unit for around the same price. I called my parts guy this morning and he's going to check into the vin to see what it actually came with, I remember seeing on the car fax something about the stereo back in 2012. So I'm guessing they swapped it out for the base model.

#83 ·

Looks like a RES Radio w/o the Unconect phone button at the top

AM/FM Stereo Radio with CD/MP3 player
Capable of playing CD, CD-R, CD-RW discs with MP3 tracks and multisession discs with CD, MP3 and computer files
Includes mini stereo audio jack
Radio comes with and without integrated satellite radio

Do you have these radio controls on the BACK of your steering wheel?

#84 ·
mprldy1

Radio in my Nitro is:
LINK:

MyGIG® Multimedia System with GPS Navigation

Detailed Information

Not exactly sure what you want type of radio and features you want to install in your Nitro and if it has to be Factory or aftermarket? Here is an older link that may help. I don't know what is available in the aftermarket these days but I suspect it would be easier to install and cheaper. One thing is sure however, you negotiated that $350 and no matter what you do next , that will sure help! Good Luck

Upgrading to a MyGig radio

#86 ·
#87 ·
mprldy1

Remember that $350 you got from your Dealer to Upgrade your Nitro radio!

How about an Refurbished RBZ 430 MyGIG Touchscreen Radio for $349.95 and if you use the below coupon code you receive $10 off and free shipping?

LINK:

giveme10 Coupon gives you $10 off and free shiping!

Also if you missed it MYGIG - 2007 Dodge Nitro Install / Removal of Radio Video

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.