Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doesn't Anyone Else Want A Transmission Dipstick So They Can Check Their Own Level? For The 07 Dodge Nitro Slt That I Have.
Still Can't Figure This One Out. The Dodge Dealership Told Me That Either Them Or A Mechanics Shop Are The Only Ones That Can Check My Transmission Level. Any Replies Will Be Welcomed..

Mcnabb In Louisiana................

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Still Asking........

Anybody Know Where I Can Get An Aftermarket Transmission Dipstick For My 07 Dodge Nitro? Or An Oem And The Correct One.
3.7 Liter V-6 Dodge Nitro Slt.

Thanks.

Mcnabb In Louisiana..........

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
A lot of vehicles no longer come with transmission dipsticks. Chrysler among them. The tranny is a sealed unit and your owner's manual recommends it be serviced by the dealer only, but I read somewhere that it's possible the Jeep Liberty dipstick may fit??

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thankyewwww........

Thanks Hemeee,

I Guess That I'll Have To Let Some Things In Life Go, Hope That The Transmission Keeps On Going Like The Energizer Battery. But Of Course I Did Buy The Lifetime Powertrain Warranty For $750.00 With The $100.00 Deductible So I Should Allow That To Ease My Mind Somewhat. Like They Say, Hard Habits Are Hard To Break.
Just Trying Not To Depend On Others For My Vehicle For The Little Things That I Can Do Myself, Like Changing The Oil And Oil Filter, Air Filter, Windshield Wipers, Rotating The Tires, Inspecting The Brake System, Checking All Fluid Levels, And The Most Important...........changing The Radio Stations!!!!!!!!! Just Joking!

Thanks Again.

Mcnabb In Louisiana..........

·
Registered
3 Posts
Auto tranny with no dipstick????

What's up with that? I bought my Nitro a couple of months ago and quite frankly missed at the time that there is no dipstick for the tranny. So there's a tube and all under the hood but no dipstick...just a cap reading "see dealer"...Has anybody addressed this? I'm just not comfortable not being to monitor the level and condition of the fluid.....it's hard to teach a dog new tricks I guess;). TIA, Packer

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Yes, it's hard to believe that Chrysler does not think that we are smart enough to check the level ourselves! :mad:

:cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased a 2007 Nitro (preowned) only after discovering a tranny fluid leak and wanting to monitor the fluid level did I realize it had no dipstick. After doing some searching online for one I found one for a 2007 Dakota (same tranny number). Being used and no longer under factory warranty anyway I figured no big deal. I did have the dealer service the transmission then went home to try my dipstick. Guess what? It read full. I hope this helps other facing the same dilemma

·
Super Moderator
23,336 Posts
Thanks yogi19540 and Welcome!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did some looking on Ebay 2007-2011 Dodge Dakota Tranny dipstick is $20 Tranny is model #42RLE (same as My Nitro) stick doesnt lock down (1/4 turn) but that doesn"t affect its function

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
I did some looking on Ebay 2007-2011 Dodge Dakota Tranny dipstick is $20 Tranny is model #42RLE (same as My Nitro) stick doesnt lock down (1/4 turn) but that doesn"t affect its function
Which engine do you have - 3.7 or 4.0? :confused: This will tell me which transmission I have.

:cool:

·
Super Moderator
23,336 Posts
Add Transmission Fluid: 2007-2011 Dodge Nitro

Add Transmission Fluid: 2007-2011 Dodge Nitro

Video Description

This video shows you how to add transmission fluid to your 2010 Dodge Nitro. Before adding transmission fluid, make sure that your engine was running when you checked the fluid level. If the transmission fluid level on your Nitro is low, you need to add fluid through the dipstick tube. Dodge has been developed sophisticated transmissions through years and it is critical that you add the exact type of transmission fluid stipulated by your owner's manual (typically in the back of the manual in a section titled Fluid Capacities.) When adding transmission fluid to your Nitro, be sure to add it slowly as the transmission fluid capacity is reached quickly and it is difficult to remove excess fluid if you overfill.

If you are having problems with the transmission in your Nitro, such as clunky shifting or hesitation, check the fluid level first - it is amazing how many drivers pay thousands of dollars for transmission work when a half quart of transmission fluid would have fixed the problem.

·
Super Moderator
23,336 Posts
Transmission Fluid Leak Fix: 2007-2011 Dodge Nitro

Transmission Fluid Leak Fix: 2007-2011 Dodge Nitro

Video Description

Your Nitro should be running when you check your transmission fluid level, otherwise the transmission fluid level on the transmission fluid dipstick will not be accurate. The video above shows how to fix minor transmission fluid leaks in a 2011 Dodge Nitro. If you have automatic transmission problems in your Nitro, ie: it hesitates when shifting gears or seems sluggish shifting from one gear to the next (1st to 2nd gear, 2nd to 3rd gear, 3rd to 4th gear, etc.) check your transmission fluid level first. Unscrupulous mechanics will often suggest a more expensive repair, such as a rebuild, when adding some transmission fluid will fix your Nitro. If, after adding transmission fluid, you notice that your fluid level is low again, follow the steps highlighted in the video above to fix the transmission fluid leaks in your Nitro.

In Dodge's desire for more performance and better fuel economy, Dodge has been developing innovative transmissions on a regular basis. Therefore it is important to use the exact type of transmission fluid stipulated by your Nitro's owner's manual. Many vehicles with manual transmissions do not have a dipstick and their fluid level should be checked by an automotive technician as the car will likely need to be hoisted on a lift.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased a 2007 Nitro (preowned) only after discovering a tranny fluid leak and wanting to monitor the fluid level did I realize it had no dipstick. After doing some searching online for one I found one for a 2007 Dakota (same tranny number). Being used and no longer under factory warranty anyway I figured no big deal. I did have the dealer service the transmission then went home to try my dipstick. Guess what? It read full. I hope this helps other facing the same dilemma
Thank you so very much for the information!!! The dealer wanted $45 bucks to check the level.... Does the transmission need to be cold to measure the level accurately?

·
Super Moderator
23,336 Posts
Thank you so very much for the information!!! The dealer wanted $45 bucks to check the level.... Does the transmission need to be cold to measure the level accurately?
Bring the engine and transmission to normal operating temperature. The easiest way to do this is to check the fluid level right after driving the car for a while.

·
Registered
3 Posts
To check the levels of the nitro tranny you need to bring it to temperature and shift it into drive and reverse a couple times. Then you are supposed to cross reference a graph and level on a special dipstick. Part number 9336 dipstick. This dipstick has centimeter markings on it for references to this graph. The transmission needs to be in drive or reverse while the level is checked. Engine on obviously. The temperature should be read in this state as well. I would suggest laser temp gun the tranny pan to get an accurate reading of fluid temp. Or you could read it while it has just started up andd know your ambient temperature.
Its tricky. 1530252823606798500015_1530252843725.jpg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts