Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,330 Posts
Dodge NITRO Wiper Recall

November 13, 2009, 2:00 pm

Chrysler is recalling almost 85,000 2007 Dodge Nitros because the windshield wipers may stop working

LINK:
http://www.dodge-nitro.com/dodge-nitro/f25/jeep-nitro-recall-4307/#post9397

WOW! I didn't realize they sold 85K 07 Nitros

Make: DODGE Model: NITRO

Model Year: 2007

Manufacturer: CHRYSLER LLC Mfr's Report Date: NOV 03, 2009
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V438000
N/A
NHTSA Action Number: N/A

Component: VISIBILITY:WINDSHIELD WIPER/WASHER
Potential Number of Units Affected: 84680

Summary:
CHRYSLER IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2007 DODGE NITRO PASSENGER VEHICLES. THE WINDSHIELD WIPER SYSTEM MAY EXPERIENCE A CONDITION OVER TIME WHERE HIGH USAGE OF THE VARIABLE PAUSE WIPER FUNCTION (¿DELAY¿ MODE) MAY EVENTUALLY AFFECT PRIMARY WIPER FUNCTION, RENDERING THE WIPER SYSTEM INOPERABLE.
Consequence:
INOPERATIVE WIPERS UNDER INCLEMENT WEATHER CONDITIONS COULD CAUSE IMPAIRED VISIBILITY INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND ADD EXTERNAL RELAYS AND UPDATE THE TOTALLY INTEGRATED POWER MODULE SOFTWARE TO CONTROL THE WIPER FUNCTIONS. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING NOVEMBER 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHRYSLER AT 1-800-835-1403.

Notes:
OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

UPDATE: I read that these notices will now be sent out to owners starting this January (not Nov as stated)

·
Super Moderator
23,330 Posts
Finally received this (J 28) Safety Recall Notice in the mail today (02/11/2010) on my 2007 Nitro. Guess they might have waited to get parts to their Dealers? Notice says inspection should take less than 30 minutes and if relays are required, one hour.

·
Super Moderator
23,330 Posts
Just received a call from my Dealer. Recall performed with new relays installed but now the wiper motor is out! Ordered new wiper motor to correct, but replacement motor still uses the external relays installed part of the recall. Should be ready tomorrow. No big deal.

·
Super Moderator
23,330 Posts
Well this RECALL did not work as planned on my vehicle!

Took vehicle into Dealership 02/16/2010 after receiving this J28 wiper motor recall in the mail. They first performed the install of the additional external relays as required but found the original wiper motor would now not work. Running their diagnosis it showed the motor had failed. New motor ordered and then installed, but still would not operate! After Service called Chrysler they suggested the recall modification was not needed and that now the vehicle needed a new $250 fuse panel (TIPM-Totally Integrated Power Module) and flashing the computer. After re-installing the original wiper motor everything is now back in working order (no charge to me) as it was before this Recall was performed!

I suspect that since my Nitro (see signature) was built within two weeks of production of the 08s, maybe my Nitro should not have been involved in this Recall? One would think that Chrysler would have known what parts are installed in their vehicles, but again maybe not.

I have listed my build date as part of my signature from the start to help others when they have experienced an issue. Not so much on the R/T but 2007 Nitros had several issues that were addressed and corrected during the first year of production. By 2008 few major issues have been reported here concerning our Nitro, and hopefully if you are considering or own a early Nitro all those issues were addressed by your Dealer and Chrysler, under warranty to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for posting the instructions on this recall.
Unfortunately, which builds it includes raises questions as well as it answers it. Mine is a "K" build, which the instructions in one place says it needs the relays, where another section says it does not. What's right? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
23,330 Posts
Thanks for posting the instructions on this recall.
Unfortunately, which builds it includes raises questions as well as it answers it. Mine is a "K" build, which the instructions in one place says it needs the relays, where another section says it does not. What's right? :confused:
Keep in mind it should be by build date (look at yours on the LF pillar post), but after all the effort mine didn't need it, but did receive a new TIPM-(Totally Integrated Power Module) that appears to really be the problem, not the wiper motor. I would stop by a Dealer and have them determine if anything is needed. Good Luck! Thanks for your comment.

·
Super Moderator
23,330 Posts
Attention ALL 2007 Nitro Owners!

This RECALL covers all 2007 Nitros (see instructions) even if you are the second or third owner, and your vehicle is out-of-warranty, or has 100,000 miles on it. You should receive a mailed Notice of Recall, but this is only if a Dealer or previous owner's info was registered with Chrysler.

TSBs and Rapid Response issues are only covered under the Factory 3 years/36,000 mile warranty. This is different.

It's my view that if you presently own a 2007 Nitro you should take it to your nearest Dealer to have them check to see if your vehicle is subject to this Recall, and have it modified if needed. You can not drive your Nitro without functioning wipers in the future and in my case it was not as easy as just replacing a wiper motor or adding relays. It can be a complicated and expensive repair in the future that is now being performed free of charge!

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Recall J28 Wiper relays

When I first read of the recall on this Forum back in the fall, I called my local dealer here in Guelph, Ontario. They had not received notice of it. Canada is not always ahead of the States, apparently. lol
This afternoon I took my truck in and waited for 1 1/2 hours, sitting in the sun outside and checking out the new 2010 Nitros here (the vehicle in the showroom has a "SOLD" sign on it).
As an aside, to show how happy I am with my Nitro:), I've signed on for life here on the site.
going to run her into the ground.

·
Super Moderator
23,330 Posts
When I first read of the recall on this Forum back in the fall, I called my local dealer here in Guelph, Ontario. They had not received notice of it. Canada is not always ahead of the States, apparently. lol
This afternoon I took my truck in and waited for 1 1/2 hours, sitting in the sun outside and checking out the new 2010 Nitros here (the vehicle in the showroom has a "SOLD" sign on it).
As an aside, to show how happy I am with my Nitro:), I've signed on for life here on the site.
going to run her into the ground.
Thanks for your post and yes many of us feel the same about our Nitro. For me I will be run into the ground before my Nitro! (only have 12K miles on it)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts