Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious...i didnt get a manual with my truck cuz it was used.
why does the radio in the console say dvd video on the left side lower corner.
i do not have the nav system by the way

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
You can play a DVD in your radio, but hear the audio only. I came across this because I am trying to figure out how to install a rear seat Mopar VES system, which will integrate with my radio. My 06 Jeep Commander had this feature. The VES player was on the rear of the console and that is where I inserted the DVD. The screen was attached to the roof. In order to hear the sound through the radio, there was a "Mode" button on the radio - choose DVD, CD, or Sat. The new radios do not have the "Mode" button, and it appears that Mopar makes at least 2 VES systems now. One contains the player and screen - you put the DVD into the player and listen to the sound through the radio by tuning the FM to 88.3, or use the headphones! This would be the system required if the radio does not play DVD's. In the other system, it appears there is the screen only because you actually put the DVD into the radio, and hear the sound from the radio and see the picture from the rear screen. This is what I am finding out since I'm thinking about adding the rear seat VES, at least according to the PDF installation instructions. I do not know how the newer systems installed from the factory actually work. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
23,320 Posts

2007 Dodge Nitro 2WD 4-door SXT Audio System

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Rick, my radio, the Media Center 130, looks similar to the picture you posted, but it has 3 less buttons, and some of the same buttons are in a different location. On the display, it says "Sirius" on the lower left, and "Compact Disc" on the lower right. It does not say DVD on the display. According to what I have read, in order to get a Mopar rear VES to play through the radio without having to receive an FM signal from the DVD player, the radio has to have a DVD reader head. The VES systems I have found state that they will not work with the Media Center 130. Thus, the Media Center display is not marked "DVD" because it must not have a DVD head reader. The Media Center 230 is a 6 disc unit, and the display has: "DVD" on the lower left, "Sirius" in the lower center, and "Compact Disc" on the lower right. So, in order to be able to have a rear VES work the way I want, I have to swap my Media Center 130 for a 230. I thought about the 430, but I ordered a uconnect module that will work with either the 130 or the 230. Uconnect is built into the 430. I wish I had known this before - I just would have gone for the 430. I can't believe how difficult this has all become. There are so many different radios that look identical, except for the buttons, and they all have totally different part numbers! I have always thought that any Mopar radio would fit in any Chrysler product, but with different part numbers, the parts department is telling me they are not interchangeable between vehicles. Go figure. 1 step forward, 3 steps back! Thanks for the picture. :cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts