Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad:Hi everyone. Pulled the 2008 Nitro RT 4x4 out of the garage for a wash.
switched it off to collect the materials to wash and an electrical short occured under the steering wheel. Burnt driver seat and carpet + dash
Now dealer saying that they have never had a recall or same problem

Car only has 30000km on the clock and has only been serviced by a dealer

Attachments

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Ford had a recall a few years ago on the F series with shorting caused by the tilt steering chaffing the wires. Vehicle would cut out when turning.
I had a '87 Cherokee that the ignition switch stuck on and had a fire.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ford had a recall a few years ago on the F series with shorting caused by the tilt steering chaffing the wires. Vehicle would cut out when turning.
I had a '87 Cherokee that the ignition switch stuck on and had a fire.
Hi John
very frustrating time right now as the dealer just walks away and i am left to foot the bill
Car still at body repair shop and i am still waiting for the final amount

·
Super Moderator
23,319 Posts
Hi John
very frustrating time right now as the dealer just walks away and i am left to foot the bill
Car still at body repair shop and i am still waiting for the final amount
Years ago my Dad have a vehicle catch fire just sitting in front of the house. It too was electrical and had been in for Dealer service for electrical issues . Vehicle was totaled and paid for my his automobile insurance. Don't you have Auto Insurance to file a claim?

This is the only way that member aquijano could get a resolve on his
Driveshaft failure
http://www.dodge-nitro.com/forums/f11/2007-nitro-drive-shaft-fell-out-5797/index3.html#post15080

As a past Chrysler Parts Manager we had a sold new vehicle's dash catch on fire and burn-up the whole dashboard, sterring wheel and windshield! Ordering all those parts would have been a nightmare plus a very long repair. Since it was covered by factory warranty the Factory Rep ordered a complete dashboard off the assembly line to match the damaged vehicle and within 60 days the car was back on the road after being treated for smoke damage too.

If you file an insurance claim your vehicle may be totaled or they may find a used dash to replace yours. No way you should be paying for this!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Years ago my Dad have a vehicle catch fire just sitting in front of the house. It too was electrical and had been in for Dealer service for electrical issues . Vehicle was totaled and paid for my his automobile insurance. Don't you have Auto Insurance to file a claim?

This is the only way that member aquijano could get a resolve on his
Driveshaft failure
http://www.dodge-nitro.com/forums/f11/2007-nitro-drive-shaft-fell-out-5797/index3.html#post15080

As a past Chrysler Parts Manager we had a sold new vehicle's dash catch on fire and burn-up the whole dashboard, sterring wheel and windshield! Ordering all those parts would have been a nightmare plus a very long repair. Since it was covered by factory warranty the Factory Rep ordered a complete dashboard off the assembly line to match the damaged vehicle and within 60 days the car was back on the road after being treated for smoke damage too.

If you file an insurance claim your vehicle may be totaled or they may find a used dash to replace yours. No way you should be paying for this!
Thank you for the technical feedback. I maintain that this is a vehicle defect but they just stand firm and said it has never happened before. If i could just get some info or recall documents that cover this sort of event then i could force them to carry out the repair. But for now i will have to rely on my insurance and having my premiums increased at the end of the year.

Not quite fair considering that this unit only has 30000km on it and that over 3 1/2 years of use.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hello, Robert,

sorry to hear this.

In Germany such a case is not known.
There is only one Nitro that had Fire, but this came from a Defect in the Fuel System.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello, Robert,

sorry to hear this.

In Germany such a case is not known.
There is only one Nitro that had Fire, but this came from a Defect in the Fuel System.
Hi Heini-bu

Thank you for the feed back
the South African Chrysler investigator that inspected the car on Wednesday this week has come up with the following

The drivers seat was forced to much to the front and this resulted the short which caused all the damage

Have you ever heard such BS from a dealer

Regards
Robert

1 - 7 of 7 Posts