Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When will the full time 4wd be available? Part time seems to be all that is currently in inventory and part time for a hard surfac road guy like me does not seem to add value.

Also, for you full time and AWD owners do you find that the added costs over 2wd is worth it if you are a hard road surface driver?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
Rockfish said:
When will the full time 4wd be available?
There will not be a full time 4WD model for the 2007 model year. It's part time 4WD or 2WD only. The Dodge web site has just recently removed the full time option from 'Build and Price' pulldowns. No word yet on availablity for '08 model year.

You always have the option of going with the '08 Liberty, plus you will get a low speed transfer case along with the full time 4WD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was the full time 4wd on the web site? I only remember seeing part time there. The Nitro brochure lists the full time 4 WD as late availability.

Where did you see that it was not going to be offered?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
Rockfish said:
1)Was the full time 4wd on the web site?
2)Where did you see that it was not going to be offered?
1) Yes, it used to be an optional selection box on the Dodge web site. They had planned it as a late availability, but now it is gone.

2) It is not that I see this anywhere. It is that I no longer see what once was there. There is an ARI fleet news website that up until last week was listing the full time 4WD availability to be delayed until July 10, 2007. This delay has been removed from that website. The removal from that website coincided with the removal of the option from the Dodge website.

I have a Nitro R/T 4WD on order. I know that it is not possible for a dealer to order a Nitro as either Full Time or Part Time. All they can do is order 4WD accompanying the specification for SXT, SLT, or R/T. Once they do this, their order screen indicates what type transfer case that will be included on the order. All Nitros are currently being produced with Part Time 4WD transfer cases. Since the option for the full time 4WD transfer case has disappeared from all websites, I can only conclude that it will not be offered for this model year. I waited for three months to place an order because I wanted the full time 4WD. On January 10th, I gave up and ordered what I could. Up until recently, that order was held up waiting for MyGIG to be approved for installation. Now that it is finally going forward, maybe I will see my R/T in a month or so. If you want to wait for full time 4WD, then you will have a long wait. However, you will have a 10-12 week wait on any 4WD, even if you order tomorrow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I was trying to decide if I could live with rear wheel 2wd or needed fwd or full time 4wd for my driving habits. Since I only drive on hard surfaces, the part time 4wd is of little benefit due to the fact that it should only be used on slippery surfaces while moving in a straight line. With the less traction available with rear wheel drive, I was looking forward to full time 4wd to mitigate traction lost from RWD. My last RWD was a '71 Duster 340. This car needed sand bags in the truck and strap on chains in snow. Now I have to determine if the RWD will work with my driving.

This is really disappointing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
Rockfish said:
I was trying to decide if I could live with rear wheel 2wd or needed fwd or full time 4wd for my driving habits. Since I only drive on hard surfaces, the part time 4wd is of little benefit due to the fact that it should only be used on slippery surfaces while moving in a straight line. With the less traction available with rear wheel drive, I was looking forward to full time 4wd to mitigate traction lost from RWD. My last RWD was a '71 Duster 340. This car needed sand bags in the truck and strap on chains in snow. Now I have to determine if the RWD will work with my driving.

This is really disappointing.
If this is what you are worried about, don't. All Nitros are equipped with all speed traction control and electronic stability program. I ask the same question to owners on another forum. They said that even on snow and ice, the 2WD handles very well. When switched into 4WD, they are almost unstopable. If you are driving on mainly wet pavement, not snow and ice, then the 2WD model should be just fine. Plus, you will save thousands. And if you want, you can partially turn off the traction control.

If you still want 4WD, it is OK to drive on snow and ice with the part time transfer case. Many in northern states and Canada are purchasing them just for this reason, and they believe that the ability to switch into 2WD will save fuel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
4WD would have been very handy if you were driving in DC this last week. Only the middle of the roads got plowed near me and what was left of the sides froze up - I had to help push two cars that got stuck on top the ice in one day. Of course they were both small cars with no weight to them. A nitro is perfect around here because of that and because its shorter you can find more places to park which is also a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The part time 4wd would be helpful in helping your car or another car out of an icy patch but it can not be used for driving over snow covered roads. Only full time 4wd can help. That is what disappoints me with Dodge on holding back this "late availability" option.

PS - NitroNacho, Congrads on finding a parking space. I hope you don't encounter the most efficient part of the DC government - the parking ticket patrols.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
Rockfish said:
The part time 4wd would be helpful in helping your car or another car out of an icy patch but it can not be used for driving over snow covered roads. Only full time 4wd can help. That is what disappoints me with Dodge on holding back this "late availability" option.

PS - NitroNacho, Congrads on finding a parking space. I hope you don't encounter the most efficient part of the DC government - the parking ticket patrols.
The only time it is not recommended to use part time 4WD is on pavement, especially dry pavement. It is OK to use it anywhere off road, or on icy or snow covered streets. All that you are trying to do is prevent excessive driveline wear by not using it on dry pavement. Any situation where excessive tire slippage occurs it would be safe to use.

You will be able to engage it anywhere, even in the middle of a parking lot. Going in a straight line, even over pavement, is not going to damage your part time 4WD. The problem occurs when you make a turn left or right. While on dry pavement, this causes excessive wear on the front drive line components because the inside wheel in the turn is trying to rotate at the same speed as the outside wheel. If the rear axel is electronic locking, (making it virtually a live axel) it can cause the same thing to occur in the rear. Where the pavement is slick due to a build up of ice or snow, this will not occur due to the loss of traction of any one tire and will allow each tire to slip individually and not cause drive line binding.

Full time 4WD and all wheel drive systems are designed to allow for slippage at all four corners and thus allows the vehicle to operate in an always on state. The only problem that you will have with part time 4WD is remembering to turn it off and on at the appropriate times. After a little time using the system, it will become second nature and you will think nothing of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To engage the part time 4wd on the Nitro can the knob be turned while moving or do you have to be stopped and in park?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
Yes, it can be engaged while in motion. If you want additional input on this subject, or have other questions about the Nitro, log on to nitroforumz.com. There are dozens of more sources there that can help answer your questions. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Rockfish said:
To engage the part time 4wd on the Nitro can the knob be turned while moving or do you have to be stopped and in park?
What 4wd vehicle built in the last decade do you have to be stopped & in Park to change to 4wd? I've owned Dodge, Ford, Toyota, & Subaru 4wd vehicles & they all go in & out of 4wd at speed.

Of course you can be moving, as much as 40 mph, if I recall correctly what it says in the Nitro manual. I've got over 500 miles driving on snow covered roads on mine so far, and go in & out of 4wd easily all the time. You just have to be carefull to switch into 2wd as you drive on to dry pavement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AirJunky said:
What 4wd vehicle built in the last decade do you have to be stopped & in Park to change to 4wd? I've owned Dodge, Ford, Toyota, & Subaru 4wd vehicles & they all go in & out of 4wd at speed.

Of course you can be moving, as much as 40 mph, if I recall correctly what it says in the Nitro manual. I've got over 500 miles driving on snow covered roads on mine so far, and go in & out of 4wd easily all the time. You just have to be carefull to switch into 2wd as you drive on to dry pavement.
Bill.

I have not had any 4wd vehicles, only FWD and RWD, that is why I am trying to determine if the Nitro's part time 4wd transfer case will provide me with and benefits for the costs involved.

My last RWD car had poor traction in slippery conditions and I was looking forward to full time 4wd on the Nitro but maybe part time will do if it can be engaged when and where I need it like spinning wheels on a snowy hill.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Nothing wrong with all wheel drive, but part time 4wd gives the same benefits + when not in gets a little better mpg. Have your cake & eat it too.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Sounds like part time 4wd will be fine for you. And remember that all Nitros come with traction control, even the 2wd version. Quite a few of us who live in snowy areas & read the Nitroforumz.com site have played with the traction control. It really makes a difference & is nothing like driving an old muscle car in the snow.

We got about 2" of snow today. On the way home from work I had the Nitro in 4wd twice for just a few hundred feet each time, then switched back to 2wd. Averaging 19 - 20 mpg these days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the info.

From your comments it seems like the RWD with the ability to switch on the part time 4wd while I am moving may suit my needs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Rockfish said:
Thanks for the info.

From your comments it seems like the RWD with the ability to switch on the part time 4wd while I am moving may suit my needs.
Absolutely. I've had a chance to test out the 4wd this last week and it works fantastic! I think the recommended maximum speed while in 4wd is 50mph.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
6 Participants
PacificNWNitro
Dodge Nitro Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Dodge Nitro SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing
Top