Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2011 Nitro Heat 4.0. I really like it! Do any other 2011 owners notice that when you initially brake, after you start the car, that the brakes seem tight or make a somewhat loud noise? It doesn't last long, but just initally. I could be sensitive due to driving a car for the past few years. Thanks and cheers!

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
I've been driving my 11 Nitro Heat for two weeks now, and have not noticed what you are referring to. Welcome to the forum. :cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its not squeeling, but it just sounds kind of loud. It could just be that I was used to a car for the past few years.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Its not squeeling, but it just sounds kind of loud. It could just be that I was used to a car for the past few years.
Do you use your parking brake? The parking brake is actually a drum brake consisting of two skinny shoes that reside inside the rear discs. These skinny shoes have a tendency to stick to the inside of the discs, so possibly this is what you might be hearing - the release of the shoe from the disc. :cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, I use my parking b\break all the time, so maybe thats it. It just seems to last from when I pull out until about a minute down the road.Thanks!

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Actually, I use my parking b\break all the time, so maybe thats it. It just seems to last from when I pull out until about a minute down the road.Thanks!
My previous ride was a 2006 Jeep Commander and this seemed to be a frequent problem on that forum. If it continues, have your dealer check the parking brake adjustment. Some of the guys on the jeepcommander.com forum actually had the shoe freeze onto the disc, and the shoes shattered when they tried to move the Jeep! Do you know the build date of your Nitro? It could have been sitting for a while, allowing some rust to build on the shoes, which might cause them to stick. :cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure of my bulid date. Where would I find that? Also, I don't think anything is rusted because it just happens when I first back up in the morning and when I get into my car after work. I back up and the braking noise is a little loud. Nothing seems to stick and the it seems to go away after the first few breaks. Maybe its just because the car sits all night and then all day hile I'm at work, but I'm no expert. I'm going to leave the break off tonight and see what its like in the morning. If it keeps up, I will just take it to the dealership down the road.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
There is a white label on the inside edge of the drivers door, listing tire pressure. Under the Bold CHRYSLER LLC is the build date. Mine was built November 2010, and I bought it two weeks ago, so it has basically been sitting for 5 months. The shoes are cast iron and can get a layer of surface rust just from sitting. I'm not trying to alarm you, just stating facts. :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts