Dodge Nitro Forum banner

How Many Tubes

5K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  rickaren 
#1 ·
Greetings:
I want to install an auxiliary transmission oil cooler in my '07 SXT Nitro with 89k+ miles on it but am unsure just how many tubes would be adequate operating in central Florida where summer time temperatures are around 90+ degrees most of the year. Note, there is little danger of over cooling since we don't get much snow here (heh...heh...heh).:wink2:

Also, is tandem installation ok or should I consider maybe, a larger cooler (more tubes) and make trans cooling totally independent which should, to my way of thinking, REALLY keep the trans cool? I'm thinking of horror stories with the Nissan Pathfinders where tube in rad crack and allow water to get in the transmission...Not good. Or am I just "tilting at windmills"?

Appreciate any comments/advice.

#2 ·
Mopar Part No.: 68033237AB

COOLER-CONDENSER AND TRANS COOLER
Mopar 68033237AB COOLER-CONDENSER AND TRANS COOLER
Part Description COOLER Condenser and Trans Cooler
Manufacturer Mopar. This genuine Mopar part is guaranteed by Mopar's factory warranty. \\ Fits Liberty, NITRO

I have a factory installed 2007 R/T 4.0 with towing package. From this picture it looks like the bottom section has 8 tubes. Hope this helps.

How To Add An Automatic Transmission Cooler To Your Vehicle

15 Row 10AN Universal Engine Transmission Aluminum Oil Cooler With 7" Electric Fan Kit Black

#3 ·
Rick:
Followed some of the threads in your post and have concluded that since I don't tow probably an 8 tube would suffice but am still mulling over whether install should be inline with eng rad, independent install adjacent to rad or just buy a complete cooler/fan assembly ($58 @ Amazon) and install remotely anywhere I want.

Thanks for the info/links

#4 ·
Keep in mind that trailer towing option on the Nitro has a special water pump mounted fan clutch and fan blade as part of of it (maybe you already have this with AC) , so maybe you need to address that also. I would add an addition electric fan as part of adding a trans cooler if affordable. Again Good Luck and check back and post your results to help others that may want to do the same project.

Water Pump With Fan Clutch

OR

TYC 621690 Dodge Nitro Replacement Radiator/Condenser Cooling Fan Assembly