Dodge Nitro Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but I don;t want others to make the same mistake as I.

I installed the HID bulbs in my projector the other day. The beam was very poor and scattered. Not like the nice beam you see from stock HID projectors. After doing some research yesterday, I discovered that Halogen projectors, which are what our kits come with and HID projectors are different. They have different internal parts and focal points. This is why my beams were so scattered. I didn't try to adjust mine and simply returned them. You may be able to make the HID bulbs work in the halogen projector housing with some adjusting and aiming though. As you can see the HID bulb is slightly larger than the halogen, thus the focal point is changed.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Totally agree with your findings re. HID bulbs in the halogen projectors. You can order a shorter HID bulb as I did, but I've just yesterday reverted to the halogen bulbs after finding the scattering. Hope this is a lesson to our members here. DO NOT PUT AFTERMARKET HIDS IN YOUR PROJECTOR HEADLAMPS.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks Rick for sharing this .. I will be getting mine soon. I have some questions for you. I called around locally to some of the performance shops here in Knoxville TN and they all gave the same info .. they said they stopped selling the HID kits for the Dodge vehicles du to numerous issues... they said there research showed it being related to the electrical system in the Nitro and other models. causing the halos to flicker and also cause premature blown bulbs? has you kit gave any issues since your install. I'm thinking tat it may have more to do with the brand of kits they are selling.. any info on this would be great .. thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
23,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks Rick for sharing this .. I will be getting mine soon. I have some questions for you. I called around locally to some of the performance shops here in Knoxville TN and they all gave the same info .. they said they stopped selling the HID kits for the Dodge vehicles du to numerous issues... they said there research showed it being related to the electrical system in the Nitro and other models. causing the halos to flicker and also cause premature blown bulbs? has you kit gave any issues since your install. I'm thinking tat it may have more to do with the brand of kits they are selling.. any info on this would be great .. thanks again.
These lights are available from many sources "On-Line" as well from one of our supporting venders where I bought mine. Here is a LINK: 2007 Dodge Nitro Headlights at CARiD.com

They have special bulbs that are replaceable and are plug & play with no additional wiring required. I have never experienced any problems with them. They are not HID but projector headlamps with halo rings and they really look great on the Nitro.

P.S. All of these lamps fit 2007-2011 Nitros built and sold in the US. I just used the 2007 Link as an example.

·
Registered
2 Posts
CCFL-halo Light Installation - Power Source Location ?

Hello All- Feel I am late to the party with the Halo topic- 08 SXT installing the RED\Black with no luck on the Parking light. Assuming the Halo is for daytime running light. I metered the parking light only to find the Signal live, and ground.(obviously)
The middle wire is not powered. Looking for a consistent power source - suggestion? Poking around the headlight area for consistent power--

·
Super Moderator
23,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hello All- Feel I am late to the party with the Halo topic- 08 SXT installing the RED\Black with no luck on the Parking light. Assuming the Halo is for daytime running light. I metered the parking light only to find the Signal live, and ground.(obviously)
The middle wire is not powered. Looking for a consistent power source - suggestion? Poking around the headlight area for consistent power--
Welcome Clos2008!

Are you installing the complete Nitro Projector Headlamps? If so If I remember aren't they Plug & Play ? Are you wanting to modify them? It's been too long since I did mine and I used a special harness when I had my grille out.

If you go to Installing Daylight Running Lamps Link
where I installed DRL on my Wife's Ford Taurus I used a Bussmann ATM Fuse add-a-circuit # BP HHH-RP). That would work on a Nitro too. It allows you to tap in to any fuse you find that has power when the engine is running only or all-the-time to power your parking lights. You will need a test lamp to find the right fuse to remove and install this fuse tap. Guess you already checked out Dodge Nitro Projector Headlamps & Repair too.

Does the instructions say use the fog lamp wiring for a power source? I recommend that you do not because of failure due to water getting into the splice over the long run.

So to clarify you are happy with the install and the only issue is to power the parking lamps that are like THIS?

Hopefully this is helpfulll. Let us know and Good Luck with your new lamps. They are really cool looking!

Bussmann-BP-HHH-ATM-Add-A-Fuse

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes Rick - I am close but no success---I prewired the halo projector headlamps to black to black wire on itself on the headlight socket, and prewired the red wire with disconnects. Ran one wire to power modules
My only "challenge" is to find Power ON when ignition- car is on. For some Daylight Running Light Effect. I have a 2008 Nitro SXT- I tried M11,M27 - Both have had a ALWAYS on effect-- I appreciate your knowledge and tutorials --

·
Super Moderator
23,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yes Rick - I am close but no success---I prewired the halo projector headlamps to black to black wire on itself on the headlight socket, and prewired the red wire with disconnects. Ran one wire to power modules
My only "challenge" is to find Power ON when ignition- car is on. For some Daylight Running Light Effect. I have a 2008 Nitro SXT- I tried M11,M27 - Both have had a ALWAYS on effect-- I appreciate your knowledge and tutorials --
Not sure you just need to ground the ground wire to the frame from the exposed wires and power from the power module using a fuse tap. Would not attempt anything involving the headlamp sockets at all. They only allow regular headlamp functions and nothing to do with the "Halo Rings". Mine install was a more involved process with a wiring harness, headlamp sockets and even a marked off/on switch under the hook for the Dealership.

·
Super Moderator
23,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The M7 fuse can be changed around so the outlet is switched or unswitched with the ignition key. Look for it in the TIPM, under the hood.

See Cigarette Front Power Outlet

You shouldn't have an issue using this empty slot as your source or change it to power your Front Power Outlet full time and then use the fuse tap too.

Clos2008 Please keep in mind it has been over four years since I install my lights and I guess I can be wrong in my sugestions. First off have you installed the lights and do they work correctly and now you want to modify them to have DRLs?

·
Super Moderator
23,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Clos2008

Sorry I could not be of more help. As I previously explained I modified my Nitro so the "Rings" are on as well as my Fog Lights anytime the vehicle (see picture) is running. I installed the special wiring harness as I have shown but modified it with new plugin headlamp sockets, ran differed power wires to each side with a inside hood push/pull, on/off fender, inside hood switch. I believe the harness had plugin sockets for the fog lamps, if not I installed new ones too.

I did not document this modification since I thought no one in their right mind would ever want to do this and even want to have all these light on at the same time, but me!

If your newly headlamps are now working correctly I suggest you might want to have your fog lamps (if factory installed) modified to serve as running lamps instead.

This modification would be much less time consuming since it looks as you have already spent a lot of time already w/o the results you desire.

You could add a replacement/new aftermarket fog lamp set complete with wiring (new lamp sockets) and not use their supplied switch but instead use the fuse tap for power. One example is shown HERE

I'm not sure what bulbs are included but you might want to check out the bulbs (if they will fit) that I'm using.

3000K Super Yellow 9145 H10 Halogen Fog Light Bulbs

(Set of 2) 42W Xenon Gas Halogen Xenon Bulbs
Color: 3000K Golden JDM Yellow
Bulb Size: H10 9145 9140 9045 9055
Work for fog lights/driving lights
This is an iJDMTOY® Trademark Brand product, exclusively available at iJDMTOY®

Again Good Luck on your modification and sorry that I could not be more helpful (or remember).

·
Super Moderator
23,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Halo's

Halo's
Hey i saw your post from a while ago about your halo install. i have my lights hooked up but didnt hook the halo's up yet. What did you hook the wires up to and how did you do it?
Thanks

If you go to Installing Daylight Running Lamps Link
where I installed DRL on my Wife's Ford Taurus I used a Bussmann ATM Fuse add-a-circuit # BP HHH-RP).

That would work on a Nitro too. It allows you to tap in to any fuse you find that has power when the engine is running only or all-the-time to power your parking lights. You will need a test lamp to find the right fuse to remove and install this fuse tap. Guess you already checked out Dodge Nitro Projector Headlamps & Repair too.

Projector “Plug and Play” headlamp assemblies for 2007-2010 Dodge Nitro (all models) This is a simple install.

However if you want to use the Halo's as DRLs you can use Bussmann ATM Fuse add-a-circuit # BP HHH-RP as a power source as I did HERE

Since I had the grille out I installed a special headlamp harness from Amazon to allow having my fog lamps and halo rings on as DRL when ever the engine is running. I even installed a push/pull switch under the hood when I take the vehicle in for service. Service Department hated that they could not turn off these lights!

iJDMTOY 9005 9006 H10 9145 HB3 HB4 HID Conversion Kit Relay Wire Harness Adapter Wiring Kit

21 - 35 of 35 Posts