·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I am a new member of the forum.
I live in Sydney ,Australia.

I have a 2009 model Nitro.

My enquiry relates to our 4 wd driving clubs here and the fact I cannot join them as a member as the Dodge has no low range selection.

So the question is does the Nitro have full 4 wd capacity even without the low range selection.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Perhaps your Aussie '4 wd' clubs should change to '4 low' clubs if they discriminate on that 'lack of' basis.
It would be interesting to see what their charters say.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
The transfer case is a single speed. It locks the drive shafts together 50/50. The is no differential in the transfer case, so the 4wd system is considered part time. It can only be used on slippery surfaces. So, yes the Nitro does have full 4wd capabilities.

:cool:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your responses. I guess here in Australia most people are think of Toyota and Jeep etc and other brands that have the low range shifter. I have ha the nitro on some muddy dirt roads and I have to say , when you put it in first gear in 4 wd you can feel the pulling power as if it was low range. Do you consider a dry but loose gravel/dirt road as a slippery surface.
As for comfort while driving , this is the best car I have ever owned. Cheers from down under in aussie

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Been into 4x4 for almost 40 years before my Nitro, and either the Land rover series one or the CJ manual said to regularly do 'donuts' in four wheel drive on loose gravel surface to lubricate the drive shaft UJs. Also to fully contract and extend the shock absorbers to clean the rods of dirt and to prevent rust.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Also, one thing to note that some owners might not be aware concerning the Nitro 4wd system: the front drive shaft and the front axles and differential are always turning - there are no lock/unlock hubs on the Nitro. So, everything in the front is always turning, just not providing any traction until the transfer case is engaged.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a follow up on this issue. I have again had a 4 wheel drive club here in Australia not let me join because they think it is only an all wheel drive. I have sent them the descriptions from the 4+4abc.com web site that explains all the types of drives of vehicles including the Nitro.

As it says the Nitro is a part time 4 wheel drive and even explains that as a newer car on its release it came with no low range selector.

I can not believe the misinterpretation here of this vehicle . They are so fixated on their Toyota's, Nissan"s etc they can't conceive of the Nitro.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
The Nitro never did offer a 2 speed transfer case; only the single speed transfer case. It is a RWD vehicle, until you engage 4wd. I would say that the rest of the guys in that club are uninformed egotists! :eek:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks dhh 3.
I won't use up any more time on this except to say here in aussie we can buy a Kia Sportage , I don't know if you have them.

It's a small underpowered 1.8 Ltr , with no ground clearance , in the Auto it changed gear up and down every few seconds up hills , but it was apart time 4 wheel drive with a low range selector so with this I could join , They are kidding.

I know which vehicle I would want out on the rough tracks .

good to talk with you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts