Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in 1998, when I purchased an Intrepid ES, I was told by the service manager that the recommended starting procedure was to insert the key and turn one notch to the ACC position for a second or two to let the computer calculate settings (you would hear a low motor whirl, and some relays setting); and then turn the key to the next stop for ignition.

I did that for every start for years, and now a friend (who seems to know some things) said that you're supposed to turn the key in one movement to start. He claims too much gasoline is primed when you stop for the 1 second at the ACC position.

Any "urban legend" feelings or real facts that can bolster and support one side or the other?

Thanks,
Lee

·
Super Moderator
24,238 Posts
Back in 1998, when I purchased an Intrepid ES, I was told by the service manager that the recommended starting procedure was to insert the key and turn one notch to the ACC position for a second or two to let the computer calculate settings (you would hear a low motor whirl, and some relays setting); and then turn the key to the next stop for ignition.

I did that for every start for years, and now a friend (who seems to know some things) said that you're supposed to turn the key in one movement to start. He claims too much gasoline is primed when you stop for the 1 second at the ACC position.

Any "urban legend" feelings or real facts that can bolster and support one side or the other?

Thanks,
Lee
This is all news to me? Wife had a Vision TSI and myself a Jeep before the Nitro. We have just always turned the key and started all our cars. If you want to hear a good laugh (I think) ask your Dealer's Service Manager about this. Thanks for this interesting post!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Doesn't the Nitro have some high tech starting mechanism that automatically starts the engine when you turn the key? So you don't crank the engine?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts