Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mother-in-law has a hard time getting into the Nitro. I just added S/S nerf bars, which is a start. Prevents me from having to locate a cement block to be used as a step everytime I have to pick her up! To complicate the issue, there are no handles inside, as there were in my Jeep Commander (for some reason, she could get in the Jeep, but not the Nitro - I can't believe the Nitro is higher).
I was looking at a Liberty the other day, and it has a grab handle on the passenger side dashboard.
I know that the Liberty and Nitro share many parts. Does anyone know if the basic dashboard metal underneath the plastic we see is the same so I could mount this handle without her pulling it off the first time she used it?
Also, the consoles appear to be the same, between the Nitro and Liberty. Will the leather covered lid screw directly to my console?
Thanks for reading.

:cool:

·
Super Moderator
22,975 Posts
My mother-in-law has a hard time getting into the Nitro. I just added S/S nerf bars, which is a start. Prevents me from having to locate a cement block to be used as a step everytime I have to pick her up! To complicate the issue, there are no handles inside, as there were in my Jeep Commander (for some reason, she could get in the Jeep, but not the Nitro - I can't believe the Nitro is higher).
I was looking at a Liberty the other day, and it has a grab handle on the passenger side dashboard.
I know that the Liberty and Nitro share many parts. Does anyone know if the basic dashboard metal underneath the plastic we see is the same so I could mount this handle without her pulling it off the first time she used it?
Also, the consoles appear to be the same, between the Nitro and Liberty. Will the leather covered lid screw directly to my console?
Thanks for reading.

:cool:
I have read many posts here and in other Discussion Groups why you can not add any grab rail to the pillar post or the dash of a Nitro, mainly due to the passenger air bag. I have also seen pictures that confirm this fact. Have never seen any account of a successful install. It could have been done, but Dodge decided not to redesign just about anything from the original 2007 Nitro to the final 2011 model.

Will do some more searching, but I think it is a NO.

http://www.dodge-nitro.com/forums/f5/2008-needs-inside-grab-handle-passenger-side-2334/

As far as the Nitro Center Console we have a neat post concerning this.

Check out: http://www.dodge-nitro.com/forums/f14/leather-center-console-cover-892/

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. The Liberty has to have an air bag behind the dash, as the Nitro does. I was trying to feel up above the glove box door to see if there was metal with holes, but didn't stick with the proceedure very long!
When I installed my uconnect, there is an airbag behind the A pillar plastic. It would have been great if the instructions mentioned this! So, I know I cant have a handle there.
My Commander had a handle above each door, and I know there were air bags above each door, for roll over protection.
There were also handles on the A pillars and there might have been air bags there, too. It would nice if I could retrofit one of these to the Nitro.
Thanks for the post on the arm rests. I'll look into them.

:cool::cool:

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response. The Liberty has to have an air bag behind the dash, as the Nitro does. I was trying to feel up above the glove box door to see if there was metal with holes, but didn't stick with the proceedure very long!
When I installed my uconnect, there is an airbag behind the A pillar plastic. It would have been great if the instructions mentioned this! So, I know I cant have a handle there.
My Commander had a handle above each door, and I know there were air bags above each door, for roll over protection.
There were also handles on the A pillars and there might have been air bags there, too. It would nice if I could retrofit one of these to the Nitro.
Thanks for the post on the arm rests. I'll look into them.

:cool::cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
dhh3
Dodge Nitro Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Dodge Nitro SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing