Dodge Nitro Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I seen a pic of a silver one that someone had put a lift on and larger tires does anyone know what all is involved with this?I think it looks cool myself and thought about lifting mine but wanted more details before I proceed
Revtek and Daystar both make 2-inch lift kits that aren't too difficult to install, but the rock climbers around here typically lift 4", and many to 6" or more. A rock-climbing neighbor of mine drives both a 2001 Jeep Wrangler (4" lift) and a 2005 Jeep Liberty (3" lift); he deals mostly with a company named Rocky Road Outfitters (I use their strut install kit, it makes strut removal, servicing, and re-installation a comparatively easy, quick job). Rocky Road presently campaigns a 2008 Jeep Liberty (KK, same in most respects as the KA Dodge Nitro) and you can get specifics here (Jeep Liberty parts and accessories, KJ (also known as the Cherokee still outside of the USA)). They do not recommend a lift over 3" because of CV joint reliability issues, but they offer everything you can imagine for a permanent, reliable, safe modification.

Surprisingly, unless you're interested in cutting or eliminating the fender well liners, even with a 3" lift you're limited to a overall wheel+tire diameter of no more than 30.5 inches...the same diameter you can use with no lift at all!

·
Registered
8 Posts
You'll notice that you can see the shock absorber above the tire (white just underneath wheel surround). That's visible only if the fender well liner has been removed. Look at the picture of the Inferno Red Nitro in the ad; the tires are much more modestly sized.

·
Registered
6 Posts
daystar 2" lift

I purchased a 2" lift from Daystar. When I went to install the front I had interference between the ball joint and the lift spacer. Any ideas what went wrong? It also looked really bad for the CV joints. I wasn't able to complete the installation due to the interference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't know if this will be any help at all, since I have yet to find ANYONE with a 2" Daystar kit locally, but George installed a 3" Rocky Road kit in his Liberty, and that required reversing what Chrysler refers to as the clevis (#12 in the picture). That was covered specifically in the instructions - I don't notice any similar mention in the Daystar pdf. You might want to contact Daystar's support group ([email protected]) for info specific to your installation.

Also, the CV's are bent to what would seem a rather severe angle (enough to make me nervous just looking at them) but after three years of use he's had no problem with them.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had spoke to their tech guy and they said that it looked right and maybe it was hung up un the spring and the upper A arm or something. I am thinking that maybe the cy joints and axles got out of sorts and that was why I could not compress the springs right. thanks for the info I am glad to hear that there is no issues with the cv joints. I am gonna give it a try again. I also bought air bags for the rear. I pull a fishing boat and sometimes have the back loaded down pretty good. I will see how that installation goes.
Thanks again

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got it done

I finished the kit. it went much easier the second time. It all seems fine I do get a little noise when it is in 4 wheel drive. but nothing major. Now I just need some new wheels and tires.:rolleyes:

The air bags were very easy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Pictures

Yes I got some but will have to wait until this weekend to post them. The computer I am on does not allow me to post pict from it.:( I absolutely need nicer tires and wheels. I am in the process now of getting some.

·
Registered
20 Posts
over by Cranberry township area. have you seen some of the pics of the new Liberty lifted up? looks good and should be the same as a Nitro

·
Registered
6 Posts
Rim Size

No your rim size will be ok. you just have to watch how much taller you go on the tire size. There is a really good write up somewhere else on the forum (or on the other nitro forum google nitro forum lift kit) showing how to make the wheel well larger to prevent tire rub while turning. It also recommends the proper tire size. If you don't have any luck let me know I will locate it for you.:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
any1 have a 2.5/3 inch lift?

i was thinking about doing a 2.5 or a 3 inch lift for my nitro and i wondering if any1 has pictures of one....thank you

·
Super Moderator
23,016 Posts
21 - 40 of 67 Posts
About this Discussion
66 Replies
23 Participants
rickaren
Dodge Nitro Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Dodge Nitro SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing