Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to apply, for the first time, on my Wife’s car (Ford Taurus) the time consuming Mothers Ultimate Wax System that included a three wax treatment (Pure Polish, Micro-Polishing Glaze and Pure Brazilian Carnaube Wax (paste) that has been recommended here, and on other Sites.

Well everyone was right!

Really impressed with the results. The Cinnamon Metallic was so bright I had problems even taking a picture of it since the newly waxed surface was like a mirror!

UPDATE: Thanks to Photobucket the original 2013 pictures are gone but here are new pictures of applying the same wax treatment this past week! Not bad for a 7 year old car, or just more rock chips since 2013 post. Very long lasting treatment, at least one year or more. Just remember it takes 3 days (at least that is how I do it) so it is like waxing 3 vehicles! Ha Ha

I would also recommend Mothers 08408 California Gold Scratch Remover since it is the best I have ever used. The Taurus had some scratches on the hood that quickly disappeared.

After completing this project I decided to try it out on my non-metallic White Nitro. I didn't need the scratch remover on it. Ordered several other Mothers products that included supplies plus leather waxes and cleaners,

MOTHERS 05212 California Gold Chrome Polish - 12 oz.
MOTHERS 05324 Protectant - 24 oz
MOTHERS 156501 Yellow Microfiber Ultra-Soft Applicator Pad (Two 5" Pads)
MOTHERS 09324 Back-to-Black Tire Renew - 24 oz.
Plus more.

Mothers 06108 Back-to-Black Trim Care - 8 oz This is the product that most recommend for our Nitro with so much black trim. If you apply this FIRST before waxing any wax residue will easily be removed.
I did spend $100 on waxes and supplies but that is less than a complete professional detailing here, plus I had more than enough to do both vehicles with some left over.

Not as impressive on my White Nitro but really is now a very Bright White, but if you own a Metallic painted Nitro
like The Blackberry Club look out!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Rick, you are more than welcome to drive North and do mine! :eek:

:cool:

·
Super Moderator
23,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At this time of the year I want to drive SOUTH!

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
After the past two weeks, I can't say that I blame you! We were not abouve freezing for over two weeks! LOL

:cool:

·
Super Moderator
23,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One Year Review

One Year Review

Yes time flies and it has now been a year since I first applied Mothers Ultimate Wax System to both of our vehicles.

Very impressed with the results last year, but how did it hold up? Was it really worth the efforts of applying three waxes, the expense of the products and expenses of the supplies?

First off both vehicles still look as though they were recently waxed after an automated wash, so yes the treatment does last! As I started to apply this year’s Ultimate Wax System I found that they seem to cleanup easier than before. Maybe it is because of last year’s application? Anyway I’m done with one and it looks great. There were two scratches that somehow Mothers Scratch Remover again hid or removed from a clear coat car. Don’t know how it works but it does. Never have used a product that works so well, so I suggest you give it a try on your Nitro, if needed.

Conclusion:
If you just want to wax your vehicle once a year and put in some extra effort and expense, this has to be one to check out.

Mothers Ultimate Wax System
Step #1 Pure Polish (cleaning wax)
Step #2 Micro-Polishing Glaze
Step #3 Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax (paste)

·
Super Moderator
23,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A Guide to Detailing Your Dodge

Sweating the Details: A Guide to Detailing Your Dodge

04/14/2018

The spring cleaning cliché is running rampant this time of the year … and I’m not too proud to jump on that train! Face it, most of us are going to be giving our beloved vehicles a thorough once-over in the near future, but are you doing it the right way? Are there things you can do to make your car look better and last longer? Like you, I wanted to know. So I went to an actual expert, David Riggins, a professional detailer from Jacksonville, Florida. Dave is the real deal; he’s been detailing cars (and boats and planes!) for 15 years and worked his magic on some of the most expensive cars in the country at The Amelia Island Concours a couple weeks ago. He’s also the proud owner of a Dodge Charger! Dave gave perhaps the greatest “Pro Tip” I’ve ever heard. All of the info he shared is great, but the last tip is a game-changer. Make sure you read to the end!

A great detail starts with a great wash and a great wash starts with the right soap. Dave points out that there are two types of soap and you’ll choose which is best based on the type of cleaning you’re going to do. “If you have a good surface on a good car, you’ll want to use a “wax safe” soap. With that, you can wash off the dirt, but keep the protective coating you already have on your vehicle.” However, he says “If you’re going to be doing more of a restoration to the surface, it’s okay to use a more aggressive soap that strips off the wax.” Always wash from the top down and use plenty of water. Speaking of that, Dave has a handful of Pro Tips, including one about water. We’ll get to those in a couple minutes.

Clay bars are a fantastic idea; they have just enough abrasion to get surface imperfections lifted up. Be cautious to keep folding the clay to keep the rough stuff from touching the paint. Sometimes clay can seem like a lot of work, especially on larger cars like the Charger, but that “smooth as glass” surface you get from it really is worth the effort.

Cleaning wheels can be a challenge too; road grime and brake dust cake on over time. The key here is to clean them regularly and prevent that dirt from building up in the first place. Once brake dust is on there, more brake dust will stick to it, really making a mess of things. Store-bought chemical cleaners can be effective, but be cautious to use the right one for your wheels; some can etch certain metals and paints. Pressure washers are a big help here, but again, you have to be careful because that pressure can damage the wheel surface and even knock off wheel weights.

As for products, Dave says stick with a well-known name brand and you’ll be fine. Yes, that includes soaps, waxes and dressings you’ll see at your local auto parts store. While there is a LOT of talk on the internet about small boutique brands, Dave tells us they’re not always worth the extra cash. For example, we were talking about a particular brand of wax (that shall remain nameless!) and he said, “It’s still based on traditional wax, it’s mostly snake oil. You may get a little bit extra shine and a little extra protection, but you don’t have to spend that kind of money to get a quality product.”

That is a perfect segue into one of the biggest buzzwords in detailing these days: ceramic. Ceramic coatings are all the rage and for good reason; they offer a tremendous amount of protection for your paint. However, it’s not something for the novice to try themselves. Dave says “I recommend having it professionally installed by a detailer or dealership, that way there’s a warranty. Ceramic coating is so hard and tough that if you make a mistake you’re going to pay for it.” He goes on, “Think of it as a clear nail polish or even body filler; you apply it and work it in when it’s soft, but once it hardens it’s HARD!” Make a mistake and you literally have to sand it off the surface. Now, the upside is that ceramic coating gives you a number of benefits:

UV protections that can help slow the fading of paint, especially for cars that live in the hot sun
Protection from stains. Chemicals in the environment are repelled by the coating
It’s easier to wash. Ceramic makes it tougher for dirt and grime to stick to your vehicle
Lots of shine! The coating gives a nice depth to your shiny paint

There’s another process that gets a lot of press: paint correction. I didn’t realize my paint was incorrect! He laughed and said that paint correction is “where you actually get down into the clear coat to take out those fine scratches and orange peel” that mars a lot of cars. It’s not just for older cars either; he points out that it’s not uncommon for cars to have imperfections when they’re brand-new, so you can get a paint correction done right out of the box, then cover it in ceramic for a great look and protection.

Before I let Dave go, I asked about interiors too. Obviously, regular vacuuming keeps things in order, but “you want to catch any spills before the stain can set, and keep up on the car … don’t let it get too dirty in the first place.” Finally, that finishing touch: to get the dust out of air vents, you can use a vacuum with a bush tip, some compressed air … and you can never go wrong with old-fashioned cotton swabs!

I had to ask what was the toughest job he ever had to clean? “It was a boat I had to restore; it had been in a driveway for 10 years and actually had a TREE growing through the seats!” The good news from all of that is no matter how badly winter has trashed your car, and despite your children’s attempts to grind French fries into your carpet, a good detail really can bring the life back into your car!

Now, let’s get to Dave’s Pro Tips:

Washes, polishes, waxes: buy a higher end, but readily available product from a known brand and you’ll be fine. The expensive boutique brands aren’t bad, but also aren’t necessarily worth the high prices
Always work in the shade. Work inside if possible. Pop up canopies are great for this too. Don’t work under trees, especially pines (sap!)
Clean sap and bug residue ASAP because the chemicals can permanently stain paint
Use fine grade clay bars only on dark colors; clay can cause scuff marks if the grade is too heavy
When applying polish and wax, only do one panel at a time
And perhaps the greatest Pro Tip of all time … how to get streaks and spots off your glass! Dave says you need to use “spot-free water.” Okay, what is that? He has special filters on his detailing truck to purify the water he uses, and while that system can cost thousands of dollars, you and I can simply use a carbon filter (like a Brita or Zero system). Filter that water, put it in a spray bottle and after you’ve cleaned with a traditional glass cleaner, go back over it with the filtered water and buff with a microfiber cloth. It really works!

·
Super Moderator
23,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Top 10 Best Car Waxes
Here are the best car waxes you can buy that will give you great results and help protect your paint.

By Avery Anderson Apr 23, 2020

Any professional detailer will tell you that it’s not enough to just wash your car with soap and call it a day. Your car’s paint deals with a lot of wear and tear, whether it be damage from UV rays, bird droppings, tree sap, and just rocks flying at you while you drive. Wax acts as a barrier between your paint and all the nasty things that can damage it.

After washing, you need to use wax a few times a year to protect your paint and make your car look shiny and brand new. Using a car wax will smooth your car’s paint surface by filling in small scratches and imperfections, meaning some debris and water will just slide off instead of damaging it. Regularly waxing your car will also make it easier to clean.

We find that spending a lot of money on a car wax doesn’t mean you’ll get a better product. A more affordable car wax can often give you similar results to a luxury one, so keep that in mind when shopping around.

Here are the best car waxes you can buy that will give you great results and help protect your paint. Scroll down past the list to get a step by step breakdown of how to wax your car the right way.

Updated 04/23/2020: This article has been updated with more information on how to properly wax your car.

1. Editor's Pick: Meguiar’s G18216 Ultimate Liquid Wax
meguiar's ultimate liquid wax
Meguiar’s is a leading brand in car care and has many waxes in its lineup. Its Ultimate Liquid Wax has racked up more than 1,800 reviews on Amazon with a combined average score of 4.7 out of 5 and is also a bestselling product in automotive car care. Seasoned auto detailers swear by this car wax for its ease of application/removal, affordable price, and durability.
The package comes with a special foam applicator and a microfiber cloth for buffing. Made with a long-lasting synthetic hydrophobic polymer, users report that it keeps water beading off longer than other products on the market, even after a few months after it was used. The company says it will give cars a deep and mirror-like shine, and it won’t leave a white residue on trim pieces that aren’t painted.

• Pros/Easy to apply and remove, lasts for months, affordable, rave reviews
  • Cons/Some users report consistency is too thin

2. CarGuys Liquid Wax
carguys liquid wax
CarGuys Liquid Wax is a made-in-the-USA product that is marketed as a luxury car wax. The company says it leaves a long-lasting, slick hydrophobic finish with a deep shine and you only have to use it once or twice a year. They’ve also made it easier to apply and buff out. This liquid wax is a bestseller and got rave reviews, earning a 4.8 stars out of 5 rating. This wax is a favorite among professional car detailers.
This fully synthetic sealant can also be used on your car’s glass, on boats, RVs, or motorcycles and provides UV protection. The kit comes with a foam applicator and a high-quality microfiber towel. Users confirm that it’s easy to apply and wipe off and that it lasts as long as advertised — one user’s car was still shining even after 2 hurricanes!

• Pros/Long-lasting, money-back guarantee, rave reviews
  • Cons/Pricier than other waxes

3. Meguiar’s G17516 Ultimate Quik Wax
meguiar's ultimate quik wax
Another product from the trusted Meguiar’s lineup, this spray wax also has a hydrophobic formula like its other waxes. The company says it won’t leave residue on plastic or rubber trim and offers protection that lasts for weeks. This is a one-step process and it doesn’t come with any applicators or cloths. This is a bestseller on Amazon and gets pretty solid reviews — 4.6 out of 5 stars.
Again, spray waxes save time and require less effort than liquid or paste waxes, but aren’t as long-lasting. You just spray it on and wipe it off immediately, where other waxes require you to wait up to 20 minutes before buffing.
Still, the company says the shine is as deep as what you’d get with pastes or liquid waxes and can even be applied in the direct sun. This is a great product to maintain a wax job, but perhaps not replace it.

• Pros/Lasts for weeks, quick and easy results, one-step process
  • Cons/Other products last longer, doesn't come with applicators

4. Meguiar’s G18211 Ultimate Paste Wax
meguiar's ultimate paste wax
Another product from industry leader Meguiar’s, this hydrophobic paste wax offers full synthetic protection for your paint, meaning water will just bead and roll right off. The company says application and removal are easy and is a one-step process, even if you’re using it in the sun. This wax is also a bestseller on Amazon and has an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars with more than 1,800 reviews.
Detailers swear by this paste wax because it’s easy to apply and remove and lasts longer than expected. Users report that it smells nice, gets rid of paint swirls, leaves a great shine, and a smooth finish. Some also claim this paste wax lasts longer than Meguiar’s liquid wax, but it leaves residue on non-painted surfaces. This wax comes with an applicator and microfiber cloth.

• Pros/Easy application and removal, smooth finish, shiny finish, long-lasting
  • Cons/Leaves residue on non-painted trim pirces

5. Turtle Wax Spray Wax Kit
turtle wax ice premium spray wax
Turtle Wax has been known in the car care industry for providing decent products at a low price. This three-piece kit includes a spray wax, a foam applicator, and a microfiber towel, and can be used with paint, and exterior plastic and rubber trim without leaving residue. It also includes water-repellency and UV protection to shield your paint from the damaging sunlight.
Spray waxes are generally not as good as liquid or paste waxes, but the company says this spray will give your car a professional-looking mirror-like shine and will even fill in swirl marks and small scratches. Spray waxes generally require less time and effort, but the results might not be as long-lasting — users are reporting that this lasts about a month, where other waxes can last a few months. This might be a good product to use when you don’t have time for a full wax, but perhaps shouldn’t be used to fully replace it.

• Pros/Easy and quick application, affordable, shiny finish, UV protection, no streaking or residue
  • Cons/Doesn't last as long

·
Super Moderator
23,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
6. Collinite No. 476 Super Doublecoat Auto Wax
collinite doublecoat auto wax
Collinite’s detergent-proof wax is made of a high concentration of carnauba wax and synthetic wax and the company claims it can last a whole year. This easy-to-apply wax requires no hard rubbing or buffing, and it doesn’t need a special applicator. You can use this on your car, but also fine furniture, wood paneling, and fiberglass. This wax has a 4.7 out of 5 star rating and is a bestseller on Amazon.

Users stress that you follow the instructions because this wax isn’t like other waxes, but as long as you read the instructions carefully and prepare the car correctly, the results will be amazing. A lot of reviews point out that this wax it harder to remove than others and requires more work.

• Pros/Detergent proof, long-lasting, glossy finish
  • Cons/More expensive than other waxes, more difficult to remove, car needs to be properly prepped and cleaned
7. Griot’s Garage Best of Show Wax
griot's garage best of show wax
Griot’s Garage
is a smooth wax that is easy to use and comes from a reputable company. It’s 100% carnauba wax content with no silicone and is used on the world’s most renowned vehicles at Concours events like Pebble Beach, where the toughest judges are there to scrutinize small details like a car’s paint finish. The company says this wax will restore a paint’s finish, remove swirls, and make it look like new with a deep and clear shine that will last for months.
Because of the high carnauba content, a little goes a long way, so you don’t have to slather on this product to get the best results. You can even leave it on overnight and buff it out easily in the morning. It’s important to note that this wax doesn’t come with applicators or microfiber cloths, so you’ll have to buy them separately. Some users report that it isn’t as easy to buff out as other products, but the results are great.

• Pros/Professional quality, high carnauba content, great reviews, deep shine
  • Cons/Doesn't come with applicators, tougher to remove/buff out

8. Formula 1 Carnauba Paste Car Wax High-Gloss Shine
formula 1 carnauba paste car wax
Formula 1 has been serving the car care market for more than three decades and this paste wax is made from all-natural and high-grade carnauba wax, a hard natural wax. The company says it will give you car a high-gloss shine and water beading that can last for up to 12 months. The key is “micro-polishers” that can almost erase minor scratches in a car’s paint and remove small contaminants while you wipe it away. This affordable product comes with a foam applicator but not a microfiber towel for buffing.

Some users report that it made small scratches and swirls in their car’s clear coat disappear, but that it takes a bit more effort to use than liquid waxes.

• Pros/Affordable, long-lasting, easy application and removal
  • Cons/Product is very think and can be hard to apply, small applicator, smells bad

9. Cherry Wax
3d cherry wax
This type of car wax is best suited for the darker-colored cars. The company says this all-natural wax will give your car a wet look finish and a deep gloss. It also smells like, you guessed it, cherry. It’s not a bestseller, but it did get OK reviews: 4.1 stars out of 5. Many users say this product is nothing special, but it gets the job done.

Users report that it takes more elbow grease than the Editor’s Pick Meguiar’s wax, but they have similar results in the end. Cherry Wax takes longer to dry and haze as well. It’s important to note that this product doesn’t ship with applicators, so you’ll have to buy them separately.

• Pros/Smells good, made in the U.S, all natural, affordable, great shine
  • Cons/Not recommended for lighter colored vehicles, takes longer to dry/haze, doesn't come with applicators

10. Mothers Ultimate Wax System
mothers ultimate wax system
Mothers is a trusted name in car care and offers a three-step system for getting a professional-looking finish for your car’s paint: a pre-wax cleaner, a sealer and glaze, and finally, a pure carnauba wax to finish. It might seem like a lot of work, but most waxes require you to fully wash and clay your car before waxing, so this kit takes the guesswork out.

Users are reporting great results with this kit, saying it’s easy to apply and wipe off, leaving a deep and long-lasting shine.

• Pros/Long lasting, deep shine, comprehensive product kit
  • Cons/Price, not everyone wants to go through an entire 3-step process
How To Wax A Car: A Breakdown by Kshitij Sharma

Equipment required

The Wax
You can choose between three different car wax that are available: paste, liquid or the spray-on variety. Many veteran detailing experts would probably laugh at the spray-on wax. In all fairness, the spray-on was not the best solution about 5-7 years ago, but since then technology has come a long way, and you can find effective options. Also, it’s ideal for people who are looking for a quick and easy fix and are not interested in the labor process.

The paste is for the old school gearhead for whom waxing their car is a hobby and not a chore. For them, spending a day getting that sheen on is as worth it as spending the day with their children. The liquid wax is for the professional because you have to have a motorized buffer to wax the car properly.

Applicators

Good applicators are essential to the waxing process. There are two types of applicators available in the market. You can either go for the foam or for the microfiber. In our opinion, the foam pad works better on the outside and microfiber on interior surfaces. Whichever you choose, the point to note is that you will be going through at least one piece per step in the application process. So make sure you have plenty of spares.

Secondly, you will also need to ensure that the applicators are clean before you start, to avoid getting those fine scratches. It is also advisable that you don’t reuse the applicator once it is off the metal surface.

Buffers
The microfiber cloth is the best hand buffer out there. You can, however, use a motorized buffer as well. If you’re using the liquid wax, the electric buffer is the only one that will provide the desired results.

Before you start
Clean your car thoroughly

Before you get down to actually rendering some TLC on your car and make it nice and shiny, make sure that all surfaces are clean, dirt-free and dry. You don’t want debris stuck under the applicator which can in turn scratch your beloved ride.

Polish for minor scratches
Here’s a myth buster. Waxing your car, no matter how vigorously you do it, does not eliminate minor paint scratches. Yes, the cleaner wax can “hide” the blemishes on the paint of your car, but they reappear as soon as the sheen of the wax starts to wane. So the proper way to do it is to apply polish on the scratches you want to eliminate. The polish, unlike the wax, contains abrasives that basically gently remove the clear coat on the paint and with it the surface scratches and shallow rub marks. Please note that if scratches are deeper than the clear coat, you will need to get your car repainted.

The perfect waxing day is a fine balance between sun and cloud. You don’t want it too bright and sunny, and definitely not too damp either. Keep your car away from direct sunlight if at all possible.

The Procedure
Wax on wax off

So you’re done with polishing the blemishes, now it’s time to get on with the waxing. Whatever wax you choose make sure you apply it in small amounts. You will also need to take your time and be patient. Wax can dry fairly quickly in summer days so refrain from applying all the wax at once. Work in small areas and apply the wax first, then buff and move on to the next area. You can start with the doors first. Complete each one individually. Divide the hood and the trunk in two halves and so on and so forth.

Another thing to note, if you are using the wax that you need to let dry before you remove it—it will say on the label—we still recommend you use the area by area approach.

If you’re using the spray wax you pretty much treat it like Windex. Spray, distribute evenly, flip the cloth and buff. It’s pretty straight forward. But make sure you change your buffing cloth often and don’t let any dirt settle on it.

Oh no, it’s streaking

Don’t worry if you get streaks after you’re done waxing your car; it’s a completely normal phenomenon. All you need to do it park the car in the sun for about 15 minutes, no more. This will help soften the wax that was refusing to buff out.

Next, take the car back in to the garage and buff the streaks out with detailing spray. And your car paint will be as good as new.
So there you have it, one step by step breakdown of giving your beloved ride some tender loving care.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts