Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I will buy a new MyGIG REW and I'm thinking about upgrading to U-Connect too. What do I need? Is a U-Connect module integrated in the MyGIG or do I need a exernal module?

Guess I need the rear mirror with micro and the harness. Don't want the universal Mopar Kit. Can someone give me the p/n for these parts fitting my 2008 SXT? Do I need anything else?

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
You need to determine if your 2008 has a low speed can bus. The 2011's have a high speed can bus. Therefore, the new radios may not be compatible. I do not know the model year that this was changed.

:cool:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All Nitros have high-speed CANBus. The new MyGIG, I've ordered at my Dodge dealer is for 2008 models. But that doesn't answer my questions and thoughts.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Are you positive on this? There are a multitude number of part numbers for radios for the Nitro. Some numbers are completely different, which would indicate a new or replacement part. Some numbers have the last two letters changed, which would indicate a software upgrade to an existing part number. Some numbers work for more than one model year, some are model year specific. I have been looking since April, and my dealer tells me that if the part number is model year specific, it will NOT work, or at least they will not guarantee that it will work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Are you positive on this? There are a multitude number of part numbers for radios for the Nitro. Some numbers are completely different, which would indicate a new or replacement part. Some Car parts have the last two letters changed, which would indicate a software upgrade to an existing part number. Some numbers work for more than one model year, some are model year specific. I have been looking since April, and my dealer tells me that if the part number is model year specific, it will NOT work, or at least they will not guarantee that it will work.

I think he maybe right. I mean I'm not going to be 100% positive and declare he's right, but mine comes with it too.. so

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The one I ordered is an official Mopar upgrade and it will work with my Nitro. Now I only have to solve the problem with the U-Connect rear window and harness.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
You will need the mirror and 2 wire harness:
1. powers the mirror
2. connects microphone to mygig.

This is the harness to connect an existing microphone rear view mirror to a mygig:

Dodge Nitro 2008-2011 Mygig Uconnect Wiring Kit Mopar OEM | eBay. As you can see, it lists the mopar part number, as it might be cheaper for you to get it there. I would imagine that shipping to you would be at least $100.

You will have to go to your dealer for the rear view mirror. I would hope that it would come with the wire harness that powers it, as it is an auto dim mirror, also. I can find it on the dodge.com site, but it does not give part numbers. There is another site: moparsupercenter.com. You might be able to find it there.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How do I know, if my Nitro already has a U-Connect mirror? Does it look different to the standard Auto Dim Mirror? Can I see the installed microphones somehow?

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
How do I know, if my Nitro already has a U-Connect mirror? Does it look different to the standard Auto Dim Mirror? Can I see the installed microphones somehow?
The standard mirror is manually adjustable, from day to night. There is a lever on the bottom to adjust it from day to night. The microphone mirror is auto adjust, the bottom part of the frame in the center is thicker, with a light a sensor (square holes). I am not aware of an auto dim non microphone mirror as even being offered on the Nitro, but possibly it was on the export versions.

The microphone that comes with the Uconnect kit is a small piece of plastic, about an inch long, 1/2 inch wide and about 1/2" thick. A member on the other forum actually stuck his to the center of the interior lights on the headliner and there is a picture of it. I saw his picture after I had already mounted mine. It sticks on with 2 sided tape.

If you are still tring to install a mygig, I believe that Uconnect is built into these, so you would not need the kit. I do not believe the microphone from the kit is available as a separate part.

Here is a link to the instructions for installing the kit. You have to scroll to the bottom to see the microphone installation.

http://moparestore.trademotion.com/moparimages/accessory%20catalog/images/isheets/K6869436.pdf

The microphone is Part "B" on page 2. I do not know if these Uconnect kits are compatible with a mygig unit.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Good. Let me know how it all works out for you. This is what I wanted to do, but obviously I do not have your patience!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Good news. It worked. Finally an upgrade without any problems.

After I got the new 4-letter owner code from Becker, we installed the MyGIG REW (2008), the U-Connect mirror and wiring harness. The MyGIG updated the vehicle VIN automatically. Even the software update (2.402) worked without any problems. The navigation system is amazing, especially compared to my previous TomTom Go 1000.

I'm still waiting for the new Navteq Maps 2011. Wondering if it's possible to get different voices for the navigation system. I loved the Yoda voice on the TomTom.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Good news. It worked. Finally an upgrade without any problems.

After I got the new 4-letter owner code from Becker, we installed the MyGIG REW (2008), the U-Connect mirror and wiring harness. The MyGIG updated the vehicle VIN automatically. Even the software update (2.402) worked without any problems. The navigation system is amazing, especially compared to my previous TomTom Go 1000.

I'm still waiting for the new Navteq Maps 2011. Wondering if it's possible to get different voices for the navigation system. I loved the Yoda voice on the TomTom.
This is great news for you. I'm glad it all worked out - you have been through enough. Is the navigation Garmin based?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Is the navigation Garmin based?
Good question. It sure looks different to all TomTom products and everything I've seen from Garmin on the internet. The resolution of the MyGIG screen is very low (400x240 pixels), but I'm really impressed about the look and integration in the sound system.

But ... you can forget watching a DVD on it. Due of the low resolution videos really look washed out. No fun to watch and no comparison to to the brilliant screen of my iPhone 4 (960x640 pixels). By the way, the MyGIG connects with my iPhone 4 without any problems.

I will take some pics of the MyGIG and U-Connect mirror in the next days.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
I know that some of the new units (2011) are Garmin based, which would make them eligible for map, sound, and vehicle pointer updates. I have an icon that looks like my silver Nitro from above, which is what I downloaded from Garmin's web site. My Navus II is a Garmin unit - I hook it to my computer via USB and download directly to the unit. Sweet.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Owners - Quality Home

The infos on the Chrysler website say that only the MyGIG RHB has the Garmin navigation inside. I didn't know that there are so many MyGIG versions. Where is the difference between the RER and RHR? Is the display resolution on all MyGIGs the same?

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Owners - Quality Home

The infos on the Chrysler website say that only the MyGIG RHB has the Garmin navigation inside. I didn't know that there are so many MyGIG versions. Where is the difference between the RER and RHR? Is the display resolution on all MyGIGs the same?
I do know that the Media Center 430N is Garmin based, and some of the tests I have read state that the screen is a small Garmin expanded to fit the big screen, so the resolution may be bit mapped or pixelized. Their opinion, not mine! I'm not sure what the base system is in the Media Center 730N. The Media Center is available with or with out navigation.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Today I did get the MyGIG/UConnect GPS Navigation Map Update 2011. With over 200 EUR it was expensive, but it also included a separate CD with the newest MyGIG Software 2.402.

The installation of the map update took about one hour. Hope the new Map is worth the money.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts