Track Length: 2.5 miles
Race Length: 500.00 miles

Upcoming Race Aug 7
Good Sam RV Insurance 500

Sprint Cup
Date Race Name Pole Winner Race Winner Make Purse

6/12/11 5-hour ENERGY 500 Kurt Busch Jeff Gordon Chevrolet $4,906,691
6/6/10 Gillette Fusion ProGlide 500 Kyle Busch Denny Hamlin Toyota $4,945,083
8/1/10 Sunoco Red Cross Pennsylvania 500 Tony Stewart Greg Biffle Ford $4,945,083
6/7/09 Pocono 500 Tony Stewart Tony Stewart Chevrolet $5,077,262
8/3/09 Sunoco Red Cross Pennsylvania 500 Tony Stewart Denny Hamlin Toyota $5,077,262
6/8/08 Pocono 500 Kasey Kahne Kasey Kahne Dodge $5,037,783
8/3/08 Sunoco Red Cross Pennsylvania 500 Jimmie Johnson Carl Edwards Ford $5,037,783
6/10/07 Pocono 500 Ryan Newman Jeff Gordon Chevrolet $4,940,543
8/5/07 Pennsylvania 500 Dale Earnhardt Jr. Kurt Busch Dodge $4,935,998

·
Super Moderator
23,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
U.S. Cellular 250
Iowa Speedway

Race Capsule

What: Race 22 of 34 on Nationwide circuit
Where: Iowa Speedway, Newton, IA
When: August 6, 2011 7:49 pm EDT
Laps: 250
Track Length: 0.875 miles
Race Length: 219.00 miles

Iowa Speedway
Records
Date Series Driver Speed

5/22/11 Nationwide Race Ricky Stenhouse Jr. 106.00
8/1/09 Nationwide Qualifying Ricky Stenhouse Jr. 135.135
9/5/09 Camping World Truck Race Mike Skinner 99.00
9/5/09 Camping World Truck Qualifying Mike Skinner 137.052

Nationwide Series
Upcoming Race Aug 6
U.S. Cellular 250

Nationwide
Date Race Name Pole Winner Race Winner Make Purse

5/22/11 Iowa John Deere Dealers 250 Drew Herring Ricky Stenhouse Jr. Ford $1,171,305
7/31/10 U.S. Cellular 250 Trevor Bayne Kyle Busch Toyota $1,362,993
8/1/09 U.S. Cellular 250 Ricky Stenhouse Jr. Brad Keselowski Chevrolet $1,465,255

·
Super Moderator
23,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dodge Motorsports Notes & Quotes - NSCS Race Advance - Pocono
August 2, 2011 , LONG POND, Pa. - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Dodge Motorsports NSCS Race Advance
NASCAR Sprint Cup Series
Pocono Raceway
Sunday, Aug. 7, 2011

POCONO RACEWAY

· Dodge has six wins at Pocono Raceway: Richard Petty (1974, 1976), Bill Elliott (2002), Ryan Newman (2003), Kurt Busch (2007) and Kasey Kahne (2008).

· Dodge’s Kurt Busch dominated the 2007 fall race at Pocono en route to victory, leading 175 of 200 laps in the No. 2 Miller Lite Dodge.

· Dodge has started from the pole three times at Pocono since its return to Sprint Cup racing in 2001: Bill Elliott (2002), Ryan Newman (2003) and Kasey Kahne (2008).

· Dodge holds the track qualifying record at Pocono: Kasey Kahne, June 2004 (52.164 sec. 172.533 mph).

DODGE NEWS AND NOTES

· Kurt Busch started from the pole and led three times for 37 laps in the first visit to the track in June. He finished second. In 21 starts at “The Tricky Triangle”, Busch has two wins along with eight top-five and 11 top-10 finishes. His driver rating of 104.1 is third best among active Sprint Cup drivers.

· Brad Keselowski started 20th and finished 23rd in the June event.

THE DODGE BOYS

· Dodge has 209 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series victories.

· Dodge’s most recent win came at Infineon Raceway. Kurt Busch led 76 of the 110 laps en route to victory in the Save Mart 350. The victory was the second for Dodge in 2011.

· Dodge teams have posted 49 victories since the manufacturer’s return to NASCAR’s premier series in 2001 after being out of the sport since 1977.

· Dodge has posted wins each season since its return in 2001 including seven wins twice (2002 and 2006).

· Dodge claimed two Sprint Cup victories in 2010.

INSIDE THE NUMBERS

· Dodge’s Brad Keselowski gained two positions to 21st in the Sprint Cup driver standings after his ninth-place finish in the Brickyard 400; he’s 16 points outside the top 20.

· All 67 NASCAR Sprint Cup races at Pocono have been 500-mile events.

· There have been 29 different race winners at Pocono.

DID YOU KNOW

· Dodge’s Kurt Busch has 12 combined wins at the six race tracks leading up to the Chase: Pocono (2), Michigan (2), Bristol (5) and Atlanta (3).

· Dodge’s Kurt Busch led 306 laps en route to his two Pocono wins: 2005 (131) and 2007 (175).

2011 DODGE SPRINT CUP REWIND

· Race 1: Kurt Busch won the season-opening Bud Shootout and a Gatorade Duel at Daytona International Speedway.

· Races 12-15: Dodge earned four-consecutive poles.

· Race 13: Keselowski won Kansas. First Dodge win of the season

· Race 16: Busch dominated at Infineon. Earned first win of season and first road-course victory of his career.

ODDS AND ENDS

· Kurt Busch is the only driver in the Sprint Cup Series who has been in the top 10 in the season point standings every race. Two other drivers – Carl Edwards and Tony Stewart – have been in the top 12 all season.

· There have been 14 different Cup Series winners in the 20 races this season – eclipsing the total (13) for all 36 races last season.

· Dodge’s Kurt Busch has won a NSCS race in each of his first 10 seasons – the second longest active streak amongst current Cup Series drivers.

· Only one of the last 12 Sprint Cup races Pocono has been won from a starting spot outside the top 15.

· NASCAR will have 10 jet track dryers standing by for duty during the weekend. It takes approximately 120 minutes to dry the 2.5-mile track after a significant rainfall.

· There have been six sweeps (win both races) at Pocono.

· Last Dodge NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Win at Pocono: Kasey Kahne, 06/08/2008, Pocono 500, 125.209 mph avg. speed.

FROM THE ENGINEER
"Ever since the Sprint Cup Series started racing at Indianapolis, the adage has been if you run good at Indy you'll run good at Pocono. If only it were really that easy for engineers. Both tracks have relatively flat corners and both are 2.5-mile tracks, but beyond that they start to diverge pretty quickly. Indy doesn't have three corners more than 90 degrees, the ever-dangerous tunnel turn, or drivers shifting gears each lap. We saw in the first Pocono race this year that all three of those factors played into an early exit for several top teams. I think Indy is a picnic for engineers compared to the challenges they face at Pocono."
Howard Comstock, Dodge Motorsports Engineering

DODGE MOTORSPORTS QUOTE OF THE WEEK
“We continue to bring better and stronger cars to every race and that’s what we have to do if we’re going to make the Chase and go after the championship during the final 10 races of the season. I’m really pleased with how our team has come around in the last couple of months. I may get a little fiery out there behind the wheel, but Steve and the guys know how I am and I love them for that. We all want to excel and that’s what we’re after – this weekend at Pocono and for the rest of the season.” Kurt Busch, driver, No. 22 Shell/Pennzoil Dodge Charger R/T

DODGE QUOTES
“When the dust had settled there back in June, we had left a little out there on the table. I guess it may sound a little greedy, but it’d be fair to say that we’re coming back in there looking to do one better this time around.”
Kurt Busch, driver, No. 22 Shell/Pennzoil Dodge Charger R/T

“Pocono has always been a track when you had to look at fuel mileage strategy. When you look at how this season has gone, that has to be your chief concern. The fact that you can pit there easily without losing a lap, it will be huge on everybody’s radar screen.”
Steve Addington, crew chief, No. 2 ShellPennzoil Dodge Charger R/T

“Now that we are starting to go back to tracks a second time, I really expect the Miller Lite Dodge team to be more competitive than we were on the first visit. Pocono this weekend will give us a chance to see what we learned from the race in June. I thought we had a car that could run in the top-five in that race, but we broke a shock mount early on and that basically ended our chances for a good finish. Our flat track program has been pretty solid this year. I was really proud of our performance at Indianapolis last weekend. That gives me confidence that we can go to Pocono and get a strong result. We’ve seen it before where someone runs well at Indy and they’re able to come right back and do the same at Pocono because the tracks do have some similarities.”
Brad Keselowski, driver, No. 2 Miller Lite Dodge Charger R/T

·
Super Moderator
23,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Posted: Wednesday August 3, 2011 2:22PM ; Updated: Wednesday August 3, 2011 2:22PM
Brad Keselowski taken to hospital after accident at Road Atlanta

SI.com staff

NEW YORK -- Brad Keselowski was involved in an accident while testing his vehicle at Road Atlanta in Braselton, Ga., on Wednesday, according to Penske Racing. He was taken to an Atlanta area hospital for further evaluation.

"Brad was able to exit the car under his own power, but as a precautionary measure was taken to the hospital," a media representative from Penske Racing said. "Penske Racing will provide further communication as details become known."

Keselowski, currently 21st in driver points, is coming off a ninth-place finish at the Brickyard 400. The 27-year-old won the Nationwide Series title last year.

Find this article at:
Brad Keselowski taken to hospital after accident at Road Atlanta - Racing - SI.com

·
Super Moderator
23,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Keselowski is OK after wreck in testing

updated Aug 3, 2011 8:47 PM ET

Brad Keselowski was involved in an accident while testing the No. 2 Miller Dodge at Road Atlanta in Georgia on Wednesday, but the Penske Racing driver believes he'll be able to race this weekend.

The driver was airlifted to an Atlanta-area hospital for evaluation, and afterward he sent messages from his Twitter account.

"Looking at data with engineers in hospital bed. Was going 155, car slowed to approx 100 before hitting a non safer barrier wall head on," Keselowski wrote. "Looks like I'll be ok to race this weekend. Blue deuce, not so much. I'll keep u posted."

The 27-year-old driver also sent out pictures of his ankle from the hospital via Twitter.

After the accident “Brad was able to exit the car under his own power," said Jonathan Gibson, vice president of Penske Racing.

Keselowski is slated to run in Saturday's Nationwide Series race at Iowa Speedway and Sunday's Sprint Cup Series race at Pocono Raceway.

Team sources say that Parker Kligerman and Sam Hornish will be standing by for Keselowski at Iowa Speedway and Pocono Raceway. Hornish posted one top-five and two top-10 finishes in his last four Pocono starts in Penske Dodges.

Keselowski, currently in his second season with Penske Racing, is 21st in the Sprint Cup point standings. Keselowski won the inaugural spring Kansas race on June 5, his second career Cup victory. Last season, Keselowski won the Nationwide Series title. It was the first NASCAR championship for Penske Racing.

·
Super Moderator
23,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brad Keselowski to miss Saturday night's NASCAR Nationwide race
3:23 PM, Aug. 4, 2011

Brad Keselowski of Rochester Hills will not run in Saturday night's NASCAR Nationwide Series race at Iowa Speedway after his high-speed crash at Road Atlanta on Wednesday.

The Penske Racing driver was testing at the 2.5-mile road course when he collided head-on with a wall at 100 m.p.h., according to messages Keselowski posted on Twitter soon after the wreck. He had slowed his No. 2 Miller Lite Dodge from 155 m.p.h. before the impact, he said.

Keselowski, 27, was airlifted to Atlanta Medical Center, from which he posted a photo of what appeared to be his extremely swollen left ankle.

Keselowski was released from the hospital today.

Penske Racing issued a statement today that said, in part: "Due to Brad Keselowski's accident while testing at Road Atlanta, he will not participate ... at Iowa Speedway. Parker Kligerman will practice the No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge Challenger on Friday, while Sam Hornish Jr. will qualify the race car on Saturday. Penske Racing will continue to evaluate Brad's condition."

As for Keselowski's chances of competing in Sunday's Sprint Cup Series race at Pocono Raceway at Long Pond, Pa., a Penske spokesman told the Free Press it was still under evaluation.

But Keselowski tweeted the following this afternoon: "Been a full day of doctors and hospitals here. The Good news? Just left dr.petty's office in Charlotte and i am cleared to race!"

A former Nationwide Series champion, Keselowski is 21st in Sprint Cup points and fighting for a place in the Chase for the Championship. He scored his second Nationwide victory of the year Saturday at Lucas Oil Raceway near Indianapolis

·
Super Moderator
23,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dodge Motorsports Notes & Quotes - NNS Race Advance - Pocono
August 4, 2011 , LONG POND, Pa. - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Dodge Motorsports NNS Race Advance
U.S. Cellular 250
Iowa Speedway
Saturday, Aug. 6, 2011

KESELOWSKI UPDATE

· Dodge’s Brad Keselowski will not participate in this weekend’s NASCAR Nationwide Series U.S. Cellular 250 at Iowa Speedway after being involved in an accident during testing at Road Atlanta on Wednesday. Penske Racing’s Parker Kligerman will practice the car on Friday with teammate Sam Hornish Jr. taking over the driving duties for qualifying and the 250-lap race on Saturday afternoon.

SAM HORNISH JR. – No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge Challenger R/T

Career Stats:

Starts: 27

Wins: 0

Top Fives: 0

Top 10s: 2

Poles: 0

Laps Led: 12

Average Start: 16.4

Average Finish: 24.7

2011 Season Stats:

Starts: 7

Wins: 0

Top Fives: 0

Top 10s: 2

Laps Led: 4

Average Start: 9.1

Average Finish: 16.3

KESELOWSKI FACTS

· This weekend’s U.S. Cellular 250 will be the second Nationwide Series race of the season that Brad Keselowski has not participated in. Jacques Villeneuve drove the No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge Challenger to a third-place finish at Road America and will also be the driver when the series competes in Montreal later this month. Keselowski, the 2010 Nationwide champion, is not receiving points in the series this year.

DID YOU KNOW

· Penske Racing earned its second Nationwide Series win of the year last weekend at Lucas Oil Raceway when Brad Keselowski drove the No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge Challenger to victory. Keselowski led the final seven laps of the race en route to his 14th career victory in the series and first at the .686-mile track.

THE NUMBERS

· Sam Hornish Jr. will be making his first start at the .875-mile Iowa oval. In seven NASCAR Nationwide Series starts this year, Hornish has two top 10s with an average-finishing position of 16.3. His last Nationwide start came at Nashville last month where he finished sixth.

DODGE IN THE NASCAR NATIONWIDE SERIES

· Dodge won its first Nationwide championship last year when Penske Racing’s Brad Keselowski claimed the driver’s title.

· Dodge is fielding two entries in the Nationwide Series this year from the Penske Racing stable. Sam Hornish Jr. joins teammate Brad Keselowski for a limited race schedule.

DODGE QUOTE:

"It's unfortunate what happened to Brad yesterday while testing at Road Atlanta. However, this gives me the opportunity to drive the No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge Challenger this weekend at Iowa Speedway while Brad has time to rest and recover in Pocono. I'm very grateful to have the chance to run in the No. 22 Dodge. I had practiced the car for the spring race here in Iowa, which lead to Brad finishing third. I'm looking forward to compete with the Discount Tire crew and hopefully we can bring home a victory."
Sam Hornish Jr., No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge Challenger R/T

FROM THE CREW CHIEF
"Fortunately we have had a chance to work with both drivers this year and have found great speed with both. Parker (Kligerman) tested for us just last week and Sam (Hornish Jr.) drove the Discount Tire Dodge during both practice sessions at Iowa in the spring, setting the car up to lead several laps and finish third without Brad having a lap of practice in the car. I look forward to our chance to compete for a win with Sam this weekend and don't feel we need to change the expectations of our performance. Sam has had several good runs in the No. 12 Alliance Truck Parts Dodge with circumstances beyond his control not giving him the results he deserves. I hope we can put the whole deal together at Iowa and get him to victory lane."
Todd Gordon, crew chief, No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge Challenger R/T

·
Super Moderator
23,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Keselowski cleared to race at Pocono

08/04/2011 8:44 P.M.

Brad Keselowski has been cleared to compete in Sunday’s Sprint Cup event at Pocono Raceway, Penske Racing said in a statement.

During a test session at Road Atlanta on Wednesday, Keselowski slammed into a wall head on at 100 mph after his brakes failed. He was airlifted to a nearby hospital where he was treated for injures to his left ankle and released.

Following the accident, Keselowski tweeted that he was OK and that he would race at Pocono. Thursday, Keselowski saw Dr. Jerry Petty, a neurologist, who cleared him to race.

“After meeting with Brad Keselowski today it became clear that, despite an avulsion fracture of the left ankle, he would be able to compete this weekend at Pocono Raceway without any limitations,” Petty said. “Mr. Keselowski saw an orthopedic surgeon this afternoon who indicated that he would be able to put weight on the foot as necessary and should not be inhibited in any way.”

Keselowski was scheduled to compete in both the Cup Series race at Pocono and the Nationwide Series race at Iowa Speedway this weekend. Penske has decided to keep him out of the Nationwide race. Sam Hornish Jr. will take his place.

Missing the Cup race would have been a devastating blow to Keselowski’s chances at making the Chase. He’s 21st in the standings but because of his victory at Kansas is still in the wildcard hunt. Keselowski is 42 points behind Paul Menard, who currently holds the final wildcard spot.

·
Super Moderator
23,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dodge Motorsports Notes & Quotes - Kurt Busch Open Interview - Pocono
August 5, 2011 , LONG POND, Pa.

Dodge Motorsports PR
Pocono Raceway
Brad Keselowski Open Interview
NASCAR Sprint Cup Series

BRAD KESELOWSKI (No. 2 Miller Lite Dodge Charger)
HOW ARE YOU FEELING? “Pretty good, glad to be back in the race car. It didn’t look like, for a little while, I was going to get to do that.”

HOW DIFFICULT IS IT FOR YOU IN THE RACE CAR? “It’s been easier at times. In general, I’m not that bad. There are some things down there that don’t feel real good. It took a little effort to make it all work inside the car. I’ve got a good car, so it will be alright.”

OTHER DRIVERS HAVE COMMENTED THAT THE ACCIDENT WAS REALLY BAD; HOW BAD ARE THE INJURIES TO YOUR FOOT AND LEG? “It wasn’t good. The biggest thing is that I felt lucky that was all that was tore up. I hit about as hard as you can hit in one of these cars and I’m still here somehow. As a driver, probably one of your worst nightmares is going through a corner, like that one was, without a safer barrier, without any of the stuff that we’ve got used to and got accustomed to, without brakes. And knowing that I had two or three seconds staring at a wall, knowing that I was going to hit it about as hard as you possibly could. Probably less comforting was knowing that it was a temporary wall and on the other side was trees, so I figured I was going to end up in the trees. Somehow, I made it through it, broke the wall down and came flying through on the other side. I was just really, really lucky.”

HOW MUCH PAIN WERE YOU IN THEN COMPARED TO NOW? “I was pretty sure after I hit the wall that I had broken everything that I could break. I was hurting pretty good. I guess, you know, a few days recovery and I just healed up. I feel pretty decent now. Walking isn’t all that easy, but that’s just the deal. You get in the race car and make it work somehow.”

IS IT MORE DIFFICULT WITH THE SHIFTING AND BRAKING YOU HAVE TO DO HERE AT POCONO? “I can tell you, I’ve checked my brakes a couple extra times before each corner. It’s not an easy place to drive with your foot tore up. Coming to Pocono this year, they opened up the shifting rule, so that means you do a lot more with your feet. It requires a little more finesse. Finesse certainly isn’t something I wouldn’t say you have when your feet hurt. It’s going to be tricky all weekend.”

DO YOU USE YOUR LEFT FOOT FOR BRAKING? “I do everything with my left foot as far as braking and shifting is concerned.”

WHAT ABOUT PAIN ON SUNDAY; WHAT PROVISIONS HAVE BEEN MADE IF RELIEF IS NEEDED? “I’m not going to get out (of the car); I don’t care how much it hurts. That’s not going to happen. Sam (Hornish Jr.) is going to drive my car at Iowa (Nationwide). I would go there if they would let me. I don’t think I’m going to be able to convince Roger (Penske) of that. I can tell you, I’m not getting out Sunday.

WHAT ABOUT MEDICATION, HAVE YOU BEEN ABLE TO CONTROL THE PAIN WITH MEDICATION? “I got to take a Motrin or two and they put some pain medicine in me while I was at the hospital through an IV; I don’t know what that was. Thank God for that. Otherwise, it would have been really bad, really rough. I’ve been really lucky that each day I’ve recovered tremendously. All the swelling in both my feet have gone down. I’m able to walk and do the things it takes to be a race car driver.”

DO YOU CONSIDER YOURSELF A TOUGH GUY? “I consider myself a lucky guy to have walked away and be here. It’s not for me to judge that.”

AFTER WHAT YOU’VE GONE THROUGH, WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT THE TRACKS THAT DRIVERS GO TO FOR TESTING? “There’s a reason why there are certain tracks on the schedule that are on the schedule. They’re great facilities. They’re nice facilities to drive on and when things go wrong, usually people won’t get hurt. It’s been a long time since we’ve seen a wreck in Cup where a driver has been seriously hurt. Let’s knock on wood. I was real lucky. That has to do with the facilities you go to. I had a good time testing at Road Atlanta, but at the end of the day, there’s a realization that there’s a reason why it’s not a Cup facility. It’s not up to the requirements that it takes. Those are the things we have to do if we want to remain competitive, if we want to find the edge, if we want to go to Watkins Glen and unload as a competitive team with the Miller Lite Dodge. You’ve got to take those chances. This Wednesday when we took those chances, we paid the price for it and almost a much larger price.”

HAVE YOU HAD OTHER INJURIES DURING YOUR CAREER; IS THIS THE WORST INJURY YOU’VE HAD? This is probably my worst. I’ve never had both feet injured at the same time and everything else that comes with that. It’s just the way it is. I think in a long race season, at some point you’re going to have to deal with injuries or deal with what happens; if we can make it through this, we can make it through anything.”

DO YOU HAVE AN IDEA HOW LONG IT WILL TAKE YOU TO HEAL? “I should be back to 100 percent I guess in the next six weeks. The big question is how the bone in my foot is going to heal. That’s a huge question; we’ll just have to find out as we go.”

HAS THIS INJURY COME AT THE WORST POSSIBLE TIME? “This is about the worst time knowing we’re coming up on the Chase, knowing that we need another win to get in, knowing that we have tracks coming up that require a lot of finesse with the brakes – Watkins Glen and here at Pocono. And then, you’ve got one of the toughest races of the year with Bristol, it’s 500 laps on a short track. There’s no good time, but this is certainly the worst time.”

·
Super Moderator
23,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dodge Motorsports Notes & Quotes - Kurt Busch Open Interview - Pocono
August 5, 2011 , LONG POND, Pa.
Dodge Motorsports PR
Pocono Raceway
NASCAR Sprint Cup Series
Kurt Busch Open Interview

KURT BUSCH (No. 22 Shell/Pennzoil Dodge Charger R/T)
CAN YOU TALK ABOUT TRYING TO TACK ON ANOTHER RACE WIN THIS SEASON AND A CHANCE AT $1 MILLION WITH THE SPRINT SUMMER SHOWDOWN? “It’s great to come back to Pocono. It’s one of our favorite tracks on the circuit. This place over the years, for me, has been a really good top-five finish, a first or a second, or it’s been a tire failure or motor failure. So we’re looking for the positive side of it to continue to pad our points with where we are with just six races left to the cutoff.

“The Sprint Summer Showdown, a beautiful promotion that gets everybody excited about running hard up to the Chase. That’s what it’s meant to do. It puts a lot of pressure on teams that want to win and be eligible when we go to Atlanta for a $1 million payday – not just for the team, not just for your own foundation, but for a race fan that’s tied in with Sprint. A great promotion. It’s a brilliant theme for the next few weeks. I just want to thank Sprint for making this happen for us, to create the excitement.”

HOW DID YOU SPEND YOUR BIRTHDAY YESTERDAY? “It was a great day at Walter Reed Medical Center Hospital, to see the troops and visit some of the rooms with some of our wounded soldiers. To go to the rehabilitation area and see these guys, it’s amazing. It’s a very heart-warming experience to go and visit the hospital. It was my fourth trip. To think that when you have a bad day because you didn’t finish well or because you got a flat tire driving down the interstate and you have to change it yourself or you’re late for a meeting and then you see what these guys have been through serving our country; to have their lives altered forever, being changed by being a double amputee or triple amputee and to have scars all over their bodies and not be able to live a normal life anymore. Some of them, when they get fixed up, they want to get deployed again for overseas and fight again. It’s a way of life. It’s an amazing experience to see these men and women. To go to the hospital on one of its last operating months until they move everything from Walter Reed to Bethesda, it’s a moving experience working with the military. That’s why we teamed up, to try and raffle off a car this year to raise funds and raise awareness along with the Armed Forces Foundation. It’s a beautiful Dodge Charger. One hundred dollars for a ticket and you have a chance to win a car. It’s neat to watch it come full circle. That’s how I spent my 33rd birthday because after 30 you don’t count anymore, you just go to the big 10s on your birthdays – the 30s, 40s, and 50s. I think Jeff Gordon, a good friend of mine, he turned 40, so his birthday was more important this year.

CAN YOU CONTRAST AND COMPARE INFINEON AND WATKINS GLEN?
“Two very distinctively different road courses that we visit on the Cup circuit. Watkins Glen is a very fast race track with hard, hard, heavy breaking zones; a road course setup that is really different, but there are still some small things that you can take between the two tracks. We’re really excited about the next couple weeks. Pocono this weekend and Watkins Glen and try and back up what we did at Infineon this year and that’s to bring home another win and make it a “WINsday” – a promotion that Shell has to give race fans a chance to save 22-cents a gallon if they have their Shell Saver Card. It’s pretty exciting when you can win and have a big company like that go nation-wide with a promotion.”

IS THE FRUSTRATION LEVEL AS HIGH AT WATKINS GLEN AS IT WAS AT INFINEON? “I don’t know where I read it, but somebody said the ‘new’ Bristol is now Infineon and everybody uses their paybacks and the opportunity to bump people out of the way, it’s now done at Infineon. You don’t see that at Watkins Glen. Watkins Glen is a standard road course where it’s more of a gentleman-type sport and you’re not looking for the contact at Watkins Glen.”

HAVE YOU TALKED TO BRAD ABOUT HIS ACCIDENT? WHAT’S THE WORSE WRECK THAT YOU’VE BEEN IN? IS IT TOUGH TO GET BACK IN THE CAR? “Yeah, I talked with Brad. He was in our hauler this morning shooting the breeze and trying to pick up more pointers about Pocono. If you looked at him, you wouldn’t know anything was wrong. He had a little bit of trouble getting up and down the steps and that’s just with the swollen ankle that he has. The way that feels and looks is that he’s normal. He’s going to try and run the whole race, but we’ll have Sam Hornish Jr. on stand-by for him."

“I actually lost my brakes at Road America back in 2005. I came out of the pit and did turns 1, 2 and 3. Turn Five is the heavy braking zone at Road America. Luckily, I didn’t have a concrete barrier to run into first. I had where they tie the tires together, like in open wheel where you just zigzag through them. I just blew through those. I was bouncing off of things, walls, and fences. I actually hit an ambulance because nobody expected me to end up that far into the infield. When I jumped out of my car, I couldn’t believe that I survived, for one. Two, the ambulance people were crawling out of the ambulance because the left front was knocked off of it. If one of us were hurt, none of us were going to get to the hospital because the ambulance had a DNF as well. It’s a tough experience when your brakes fail you when you’re going 180-mph. At road courses, you have to slow down to 30 or 50-mph for a slow corner. It was a tough day. We had our back-up car there. I jumped right into the back up (car) and went right back out to run some laps. The old cliché of ‘when you fall off your horse, you have to get right back on it’ is still the best medicine. With Brad being in the car this morning, he had a few days to rehabilitate and get ready, now here he is. You have to know that the team is giving you the best equipment possible and when there’s one small mistake made, everybody has to learn from it.”

WHEN DID YOU START TO TURN YOUR ROAD COURSE PROGRAM AROUND? “Last year, finishing second at Watkins Glen. I finished second to (Juan Pablo) Montoya and beat (Marcos) Ambrose. That was a big moment for me. Back in 2006 I swept the poles at the road courses. I’ve really enjoyed the road courses over the years. To me it feels like an off-weekend where we’re going to have fun, yet it’s not as intense as it is on the ovals. I’ve always taken a light-hearted approach. I actually was on the podium at the Daytona Rolex 24 Hour Race, finishing third one year. So I enjoy it. I don’t know where it clicked or where it hit. One of the fun moments that I always had growing up and racing was going to Bondurant’s driving school and messing around with Mike McGovern, one of their chief instructors for three days straight. That was a great experience for learning about road courses. I think when things turned around was when I just didn’t let the Hendrick cars dump me because we were fast enough to stay away from them this time around.”

THE GLEN HAS SUCH BIG CORNERS. IS THAT WHY YOU’RE ABLE TO SEE GUYS STRETCH LEADS? “You have a lot of speed at Watkins Glen. If you hit the esses just right, nobody is really going to be able to pass you getting into the inner-loop. Then if you get a great run out of the carousel, you can stretch your lead and develop it through turns 10 and 11 onto the front straightaway. A lot of speed at Watkins Glen. There’s no real slow corner like there’s a bunch of at Infineon. Once you have a fast car, it just adds to all the corners where you can build up speed and build up that speed.”

HAVE YOU EVER REALIZED THAT YOU AND JEFF GORDON ARE ASTROLOGICAL TWINS SHARING THE SAME BIRTHDAY? “We’ve always just joked with each other with “Happy Birthday”. The way that we’re seven-years apart is funny because Kyle (Busch) and I are seven-years apart. Over the years, we’ve learned we have the same birthday (date). Barack Obama, Roger Clemens, there’s quite a few guys on August 4th. You see a lot of competitive people that are Leos.”

CAN YOU TALK ABOUT HOW PRACTICE WENT FOR YOU GUYS TODAY? “Practice went smooth for us this morning. We were second overall which means if it rains out tomorrow’s qualifying session, we’ll start (the race) second. It also means that if we do qualify, we’ll go out second from last which isn’t the greatest of news because qualifying starts at 10:00 a.m. We’ll see how the weather plays out. We just didn’t want to be caught without putting a good, fast lap down. As race trim progressed for us, we had a good top-10 car. Now we need to polish it up here in the final session if we want to be a race-winning car.”

·
Super Moderator
23,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NASCAR Qualifying
Last Updated: Saturday, Aug 6, 2011 1:03 pm, EDT
Field Set Pocono Raceway

Order Driver (No.) Car Qualifying Speed

1 Joey Logano (20) Toyota 172.055
2 Kasey Kahne (4) Toyota 171.648
3 Martin Truex Jr. (56) Toyota 171.494
4 Carl Edwards (99) Ford 171.474
5 Kurt Busch (22) Dodge 171.468
6 Denny Hamlin (11) Toyota 171.448
7 Paul Menard (27) Chevrolet 171.370
8 Jeff Burton (31) Chevrolet 171.367
9 Greg Biffle (16) Ford 171.171
10 Kevin Harvick (29) Chevrolet 171.122
11 Kyle Busch (18) Toyota 171.080
12 Ryan Newman (39) Chevrolet 170.788
13 Brad Keselowski (2) Dodge 170.652
14 Clint Bowyer (33) Chevrolet 170.619
15 David Ragan (6) Ford 170.619
16 Jamie McMurray (1) Chevrolet 170.590
17 Regan Smith (78) Chevrolet 170.558
18 Jimmie Johnson (48) Chevrolet 170.539
19 Dale Earnhardt Jr. (88) Chevrolet 170.506
20 Matt Kenseth (17) Ford 170.438
21 Dave Blaney (36) Chevrolet 170.309
22 Bobby Labonte (47) Toyota 170.280
23 Juan Pablo Montoya (42) Chevrolet 170.161
24 David Gilliland (34) Ford 170.068
25 Mark Martin (5) Chevrolet 170.042
26 Brian Vickers (83) Toyota 169.991
27 Marcos Ambrose (9) Ford 169.875
28 Tony Stewart (14) Chevrolet 169.734
29 A J Allmendinger (43) Ford 169.629
30 Todd Bodine (66) Toyota 169.393
31 Jeff Gordon (24) Chevrolet 169.358
32 Casey Mears (13) Toyota 169.338
33 David Reutimann (00) Toyota 169.335
34 J.J. Yeley (55) Ford 168.909
35 Erik Darnell (46) Ford 168.631
36 Landon Cassill (51) Chevrolet 168.508
37 David Stremme (30) Chevrolet 167.892
38 Robby Gordon (7) Dodge 167.795
39 Travis Kvapil (38) Ford 167.604
40 Scott Speed (37) Ford 167.420
41 Jason White (32) Ford 167.165
42 Andy Lally (71) Ford 166.868
43 Joe Nemechek (87) Toyota 167.268
44 Geoff Bodine (135) DNQ 167.218
45 T.J. Bell (150) DNQ 167.072
46 Mike Skinner (60) DNQ 166.156

·
Super Moderator
23,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dodge Motorsports Notes & Quotes - NSCS Final Qualifying - Pocono
August 6, 2011 , LONG POND, Pa.
Dodge Motorsports PR
Pocono Raceway
NASCAR Sprint Cup Series
Sprint Cup Post-Qualifying Quotes

KURT BUSCH (No. 22 Shell/Pennzoil Dodge Charger R/T) Qualified Fifth
“It was a decent qualifying effort. I told Steve (Addington, crew chief) we could really be scratching our heads if we were back 25th or so. To be fifth, that’s a great start. We’ll get a good pit box selection. In race trim, we’ve been struggling. This car has been tight with us all weekend. We’re going to jump out of our setup and go to Brad Keselowski’s (No. 2 Miller Lite Dodge Charger) setup. He went through a rough wreck earlier this week; it’s great to see him in the car, pushing hard. These young kids, they’re made like rubber bands, they can bounce back from anything. So we’re going to have to go to his setup to get our car freed up enough to try and win this bad boy on Sunday.”

BRAD KESELOWSKI (No. 2 Miller Lite Dodge Charger R/T) Qualified 13th
“We had a really good Turn 3, a decent Turn 2, but the car bottomed out too much in Turn 1. We were really good yesterday in race trim, so we feel pretty good about that. We’ll have to fight through some traffic tomorrow. We’ll do what we can.”

ROBBY GORDON (No. 7 SPEED Energy Dodge Charger R/T) Qualified 38th
“The grip was really good. We went over a second faster than what we did in the last practice. It’s all because of the grip in the track. We were a little tight in Turn 1 and 3, actually in Turn 2 also as I had to check up just a little bit. It was safe. That’s what we needed to do to get the car in the show and get back in the top 35.”

CAUTIOUS BUT AGGRESSIVE, THAT’S DIFFICULT; HOW DO YOU DO THAT? “There’s a fine line there. You have to put it in the show. You want to be aggressive, but you don’t want to hit the wall and not make the show. I feel good about my Dodge and I think we’ll be good in the race. We did a little race practice yesterday and it didn’t seem too bad. The most important thing for us is we score some good points this weekend.”

·
Super Moderator
23,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rain halts NASCAR Trucks race at Pocono

3 hours, 12 minutes ago

LONG POND, Pa. (AP)—Rain halted the NASCAR Trucks Series event at Pocono Raceway after 17 laps Saturday, with racing scheduled to resume Sunday before the Sprint Cup event.

Parker Kligerman was leading when the 125-mile race on the 2.5-mile tri-oval was halted.

Feuding stars Kevin Harvick and Kyle Busch started on the front row. Harvick will start 10th and Busch 19th when racing resumes Sunday, scheduled for 9 a.m., followed by the ARCA race that also was rained out Saturday.

The 500-mile Sprint Cup race is scheduled to start at its regular time of 1 p.m., with Joey Logano on the pole.

Sunday’s forecast calls for a 60 percent chance of rain.

·
Super Moderator
23,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
U.S. Cellular 250

Order Driver (No.) Car Pts/Bonus Laps Laps Led Winnings Lap Progress

1 Ricky Stenhouse Jr. (6) Ford 47/4 250 25 $74,343 Chart
2 Carl Edwards (60) Ford 44/2 250 109 $54,675 Chart
3 Elliott Sadler (2) Chevrolet 42/1 250 38 $52,218 Chart
4 Josh Wise (7) Chevrolet 40/0 250 0 $34,293 Chart
5 Aric Almirola (88) Chevrolet 39/0 250 0 $31,193 Chart
6 Reed Sorenson (32) Chevrolet 38/0 250 0 $28,893 Chart
7 Kenny Wallace (09) Toyota 37/0 250 0 $27,728 Chart
8 Steve Wallace (66) Toyota 36/0 250 0 $26,288 Chart
9 Michael McDowell (18) Toyota 36/1 250 17 $25,193 Chart
10 David Mayhew (33) Chevrolet 35/1 250 4 $25,543 Chart
11 Drew Herring (20) Toyota 33/0 250 0 $23,718 Chart
12 Michael Annett (62) Toyota 33/1 250 4 $23,168 Chart
13 Jason Leffler (38) Chevrolet 31/0 250 0 $23,093 Chart
14 Brian Scott (11) Toyota 30/0 250 0 $22,118 Chart
15 Scott Wimmer (70) Chevrolet 29/0 250 0 $26,343 Chart
16 Joe Nemechek (87) Toyota 28/0 250 0 $22,468 Chart
17 Jeremy Clements (51) Chevrolet 28/1 250 2 $21,418 Chart
18 Mike Bliss (19) Chevrolet 26/0 250 0 $20,968 Chart
19 Mikey Kile (30) Chevrolet 25/0 249 0 $20,743 Chart
20 Joey Gase (39) Ford 24/0 248 0 $21,243 Chart
21 Timmy Hill (15) Ford 23/0 248 0 $21,393 Chart
22 Charles Lewandoski (40) Chevrolet 22/0 247 0 $13,800 Chart
23 Robert Richardson Jr. (23) Chevrolet 21/0 247 0 $14,050 Chart
24 Sam Hornish Jr. (22) Dodge 21/1 245 39 $19,993 Chart
25 Trevor Bayne (16) Ford 20/1 243 12 $20,493 Chart
26 Eric McClure (14) Chevrolet 18/0 238 0 $13,275 Chart
27 Tim Schendel (52) Chevrolet 17/0 216 0 $13,550 Chart
28 Blake Koch (81) Dodge 16/0 214 0 $19,468 Chart
29 Justin Allgaier (31) Chevrolet 15/0 187 0 $19,343 Chart
30 Derrike Cope (28) Chevrolet 14/0 123 0 $13,050 Chart
31 Mike Wallace (01) Chevrolet 13/0 99 0 $19,063 Chart
32 Morgan Shepherd (89) Chevrolet 12/0 78 0 $12,485 Chart
33 Jennifer Jo Cobb (113) Dodge 11/0 66 0 $12,375 Chart
34 Jamie Dick (102) Chevrolet 10/0 46 0 $12,265 Chart
35 Matthew Carter (141) Chevrolet 9/0 37 0 $12,160 Chart
36 Mike Harmon (174) Chevrolet 8/0 20 0 $12,050 Chart
37 Mark Green (49) Chevrolet 7/0 17 0 $11,940 Chart
38 Johnny Chapman (175) Ford 6/0 11 0 $11,860 Chart
39 Chase Miller (146) Chevrolet 5/0 8 0 $11,745 Chart
40 Carl Long (171) Ford 4/0 7 0 $11,630 Chart
41 Tim Andrews (142) Chevrolet 3/0 5 0 $11,465 Chart
42 Brian Keselowski (147) Chevrolet 2/0 4 0 $11,345 Chart
43 Jeff Green (44) Chevrolet 1/0 3 0 $11,228 Chart

·
Super Moderator
23,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
NASCAR Results
Last Updated: Sunday, Aug 7, 2011 11:06 am, EDT
Good Sam RV Emergency Road Service 125

Order Driver (No.) Car Pts/Bonus Laps Laps Led Winnings

1 Kevin Harvick (2) Chevrolet 48/5 53 44 $33,800
2 Kyle Busch (18) Toyota 42/0 53 0 $22,175
3 James Buescher (31) Chevrolet 41/0 53 0 $23,950
4 Johnny Sauter (13) Chevrolet 40/0 53 0 $18,825
5 Austin Dillon (3) Chevrolet 39/0 53 0 $13,750
6 Joey Coulter (22) Chevrolet 38/0 53 0 $12,375
7 Mark Martin (32) Chevrolet 37/0 53 0 $8,925
8 Matt Crafton (88) Chevrolet 36/0 53 0 $10,650
9 Ron Hornaday Jr. (33) Chevrolet 35/0 53 0 $10,600
10 Timothy Peters (17) Toyota 34/0 53 0 $11,850
11 Max Papis (9) Toyota 33/0 53 0 $10,475
12 Todd Bodine (5) Toyota 32/0 53 0 $11,350
13 Parker Kligerman (29) Dodge 32/1 53 9 $10,300
14 Nelson Piquet Jr. (8) Chevrolet 30/0 53 0 $10,250
15 Cole Whitt (60) Chevrolet 29/0 53 0 $11,450
16 Justin Lofton (6) Toyota 28/0 53 0 $10,025
17 Jason White (23) Chevrolet 27/0 53 0 $9,925
18 David Starr (81) Toyota 26/0 53 0 $9,800
19 Miguel Paludo (7) Toyota 25/0 53 0 $9,700
20 Ricky Carmichael (4) Chevrolet 24/0 53 0 $10,150
21 Ryan Sieg (39) Chevrolet 23/0 53 0 $9,725
22 Brendan Gaughan (62) Toyota 22/0 53 0 $8,150
23 Wes Burton (28) Chevrolet 21/0 53 0 $7,050
24 Norm Benning (57) Chevrolet 20/0 53 0 $7,975
25 Peyton Sellers (66) Chevrolet 19/0 51 0 $7,090
26 Chad McCumbee (07) Toyota 18/0 26 0 $6,900
27 Chris Fontaine (84) Chevrolet 17/0 17 0 $7,225
28 Mike Garvey (138) Chevrolet 16/0 11 0 $6,850
29 Shane Sieg (93) Chevrolet 15/0 9 0 $6,825
30 James Hylton (175) Chevrolet 0/0 7 0 $7,300
31 Chris Lafferty (189) Chevrolet 0/0 2 0 $6,775

·
Super Moderator
23,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NASCAR Results
Last Updated: Sunday, Aug 7, 2011 7:25 pm, EDT

Order Driver (No.) Car Pts/Bonus Laps Laps Led Winnings Lap Progress

1 Brad Keselowski (2) Dodge 47/4 200 19 $201,408 Chart
2 Kyle Busch (18) Toyota 43/1 200 27 $213,091 Chart
3 Kurt Busch (22) Dodge 42/1 200 38 $162,000 Chart
4 Jimmie Johnson (48) Chevrolet 40/0 200 0 $162,386 Chart
5 Ryan Newman (39) Chevrolet 40/1 200 1 $145,750 Chart
6 Jeff Gordon (24) Chevrolet 38/0 200 0 $136,861 Chart
7 Carl Edwards (99) Ford 38/1 200 2 $134,366 Chart
8 Greg Biffle (16) Ford 37/1 200 1 $96,675 Chart
9 Dale Earnhardt Jr. (88) Chevrolet 35/0 200 0 $89,175 Chart
10 Paul Menard (27) Chevrolet 34/0 200 0 $88,075 Chart
11 Tony Stewart (14) Chevrolet 33/0 200 0 $125,033 Chart
12 Martin Truex Jr. (56) Toyota 32/0 200 0 $84,850 Chart
13 Mark Martin (5) Chevrolet 31/0 200 0 $84,275 Chart
14 Kevin Harvick (29) Chevrolet 30/0 200 0 $122,636 Chart
15 Denny Hamlin (11) Toyota 31/2 200 65 $118,100 Chart
16 Matt Kenseth (17) Ford 28/0 200 0 $109,886 Chart
17 Jeff Burton (31) Chevrolet 27/0 200 0 $81,300 Chart
18 Clint Bowyer (33) Chevrolet 26/0 200 0 $112,258 Chart
19 A J Allmendinger (43) Ford 25/0 200 0 $108,586 Chart
20 Marcos Ambrose (9) Ford 24/0 200 0 $102,491 Chart
21 Regan Smith (78) Chevrolet 23/0 200 0 $97,320 Chart
22 Jamie McMurray (1) Chevrolet 22/0 200 0 $105,739 Chart
23 David Gilliland (34) Ford 21/0 200 0 $87,833 Chart
24 David Reutimann (00) Toyota 20/0 200 0 $98,058 Chart
25 Bobby Labonte (47) Toyota 19/0 200 0 $96,695 Chart
26 Joey Logano (20) Toyota 19/1 200 44 $91,900 Chart
27 Landon Cassill (51) Chevrolet 18/1 199 2 $83,458 Chart
28 Kasey Kahne (4) Toyota 16/0 199 0 $88,708 Chart
29 Andy Lally (71) Ford 15/0 199 0 $79,400 Chart
30 Dave Blaney (36) Chevrolet 14/0 198 0 $79,297 Chart
31 Travis Kvapil (38) Ford 13/0 198 0 $65,600 Chart
32 Juan Pablo Montoya (42) Chevrolet 12/0 198 0 $106,458 Chart
33 Jason White (32) Ford 11/0 197 0 $66,175 Chart
34 David Ragan (6) Ford 10/0 149 0 $73,025 Chart
35 Robby Gordon (7) Dodge 9/0 79 0 $64,875 Chart
36 Casey Mears (13) Toyota 9/1 30 1 $64,650 Chart
37 Todd Bodine (66) Toyota 7/0 25 0 $64,475 Chart
38 David Stremme (30) Chevrolet 6/0 18 0 $64,350 Chart
39 Brian Vickers (83) Toyota 5/0 18 0 $91,439 Chart
40 Scott Speed (37) Ford 4/0 16 0 $64,075 Chart
41 Joe Nemechek (87) Toyota 3/0 14 0 $63,925 Chart
42 Erik Darnell (46) Ford 2/0 8 0 $63,765 Chart
43 J.J. Yeley (55) Ford 1/0 7 0 $64,148 Chart

·
Super Moderator
23,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Keselowski wins at Pocono with broken ankle

By DAN GELSTON, AP Sports Writer 32 minutes ago

LONG POND, Pa. (AP)—Brad Keselowski raced all 500 miles of Sunday’s Sprint Cup stop at Pocono Raceway with a broken left ankle.

As if that wasn’t enough, he somehow managed to win, too.

Competing with a brace on his ankle, Keselowski sped off on the final restart late in the race to pick up his second victory of the season. He gingerly climbed out of his car to celebrate with his crew in Victory Lane.

“It doesn’t feel good, but I’ll be all right,” he said.

Keselowski was an unlikely winner after he crashed head-on into a wall on Wednesday during a test session at Road Atlanta. He slammed a section of wall at 100 mph and was forced out of the Nationwide Series race.

He insisted during practice this weekend he wouldn’t leave the No. 2 Dodge, no matter how much pain he was in.

Wasn’t necessary. Keselowski had some rest during a 1 hour, 40-minute rain delay.

“I was amazed he raced the full race,” third-place finisher Kurt Busch said.

Keselowski’s victory thrust him into prime position to claim one of two wild-card spots available for the Chase for the championship. The top two drivers with the most victories in 11th to 20th place earn a wild-card spot for the playoffs.

Keselowski, in 18th place, is the only one of the wild-card contenders with two victories. Only five races remain until the field is set. The top 10 drivers in the points standings automatically qualify.

Keselowski posted several updates on his injury this week on his Twitter page, including two photos that showed a swollen ankle and an abrasion on his foot. His broken left ankle ballooned to the size of a softball, and he needed a left shoe a size larger than his right one.

“There’s no good time, but this is certainly the worst time,” he said Friday.

No way. Keselowski won his third career Cup race and first since he won in June at Kansas.

Kyle Busch was second, Jimmie Johnson fourth and Ryan Newman fifth.

Kurt Busch and Johnson had a heated exchange after the race because of some last-lap contact and had to be separated by their crews. The star drivers took turns bumping into each other on the final lap. Busch said it was simply hard racing and Johnson, the five-time defending Cup champion, overreacted.

“You want to race, let’s race,” Busch said. “I raced him smart, raced him clean, and he wants to come back here and (complain) about it. Why can’t we race each other like this and put on a show for the fans?”

There was a racing tripleheader after rain halted the Trucks Series race on Saturday and wiped out the ARCA race. Kevin Harvick won the Trucks race, Ty Dillon took ARCA and Keselowski capped it all with his gutsy performance.

“There are moments in our sport that need to be documented as an `Iron Man’ type of day,” Kurt Busch said. “It’s amazing what the body can do.”

Rain hit Pocono hard the last two days and when the red flag came on lap 125, Joey Logano had the lead. He took a break in the ESPN broadcast booth where he was asked if he wanted the rain to stop or keep coming.

“I think it’s a dumb question,” he said.

Logano faded hard and finished 26th. Points leader Carl Edwards, who signed a multiyear extension with Roush Fenway Racing, was seventh.

Once the rain stopped, Kyle Busch build a sizable lead until it was wiped out on a final caution.

That was the opening Keselowski needed and he took advantage—even with only one good ankle.

·
Super Moderator
23,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Standings
Sprint Cup

Sprint Cup Series
Latest Race Aug 7

Rank (+/-) Drivers Total Pts Behind Starts Poles Wins Top 5 Top 10 DNF Winnings

1 - Carl Edwards 720 Leader 21 2 1 10 14 0 $5,759,124
2 - Jimmie Johnson 711 9 21 1 1 8 13 1 $3,793,219
3 +1 Kyle Busch 709 11 21 1 3 11 13 3 $4,089,224
4 +2 Kurt Busch 706 14 21 3 1 5 12 0 $3,899,601
5 -2 Kevin Harvick 700 20 21 0 3 6 10 1 $3,887,429
6 -1 Matt Kenseth 694 26 21 1 2 7 11 2 $3,903,644
7 - Jeff Gordon 668 52 21 1 2 7 10 2 $3,635,644
8 - Ryan Newman 658 62 21 1 1 7 10 0 $3,370,198
9 - Tony Stewart 642 78 21 0 0 2 8 1 $3,450,631
10 - Dale Earnhardt Jr. 641 79 21 1 0 3 9 2 $2,699,838

wc 11 - Denny Hamlin 618 102 21 0 1 4 7 1 $3,445,693
12 - Clint Bowyer 600 120 21 0 0 3 8 4 $3,527,656
13 - Greg Biffle 597 123 21 0 0 1 7 1 $2,697,488
14 - Paul Menard 587 133 21 0 1 4 7 1 $2,514,988
15 +2 Mark Martin 567 153 21 1 0 1 6 2 $2,463,438
16 - Kasey Kahne 567 153 21 1 0 3 7 2 $2,763,388
17 - A J Allmendinger 562 158 21 0 0 1 4 1 $2,940,224
wc 18 +3 Brad Keselowski 558 162 21 1 2 3 6 1 $2,954,499
19 -3 David Ragan 556 164 21 2 1 3 6 2 $2,807,238
20 -1 Joey Logano 548 172 21 2 0 3 5 1 $2,498,513
21 -1 Juan Pablo Montoya 539 181 21 2 0 2 6 0 $3,211,206
22 +1 Martin Truex Jr. 537 183 21 0 0 0 6 3 $2,304,838
23 -1 Marcos Ambrose 529 191 21 0 0 3 6 0 $2,883,074
24 - David Reutimann 476 244 21 0 0 1 2 1 $2,765,081
25 - Regan Smith 474 246 21 0 1 2 4 2 $2,988,008
26 - Jeff Burton 472 248 21 0 0 0 0 3 $2,280,801
27 +1 Jamie McMurray 463 257 21 1 0 1 3 3 $3,036,857
28 -1 Brian Vickers 449 271 21 0 0 1 5 1 $2,623,267
29 - Bobby Labonte 446 274 21 0 0 1 2 1 $2,951,843
30 - David Gilliland 379 341 21 0 0 1 2 3 $2,689,744
31 - Dave Blaney 303 417 21 0 0 0 0 4 $2,057,834
32 - Casey Mears 291 429 20 0 0 0 0 4 $1,676,933
33 - Andy Lally 248 472 18 0 0 0 0 1 $1,837,993
34 - Robby Gordon 203 517 16 0 0 0 0 6 $1,603,498
35 - Tony Raines 123 597 11 0 0 0 0 4 $860,000
36 - Bill Elliott 100 620 5 0 0 0 0 0 $663,887
37 - J.J. Yeley 78 642 17 0 0 0 0 16 $1,476,499
38 - Michael McDowell 75 645 18 0 0 0 0 16 $1,411,915
39 - Ken Schrader 73 647 5 0 0 0 0 0 $430,049
40 - Terry Labonte 71 649 5 0 0 0 0 2 $720,010
41 - David Stremme 33 687 8 0 0 0 0 7 $599,840
42 - Michael Waltrip 20 700 2 0 0 0 0 1 $396,213
43 - Andy Pilgrim 18 702 1 0 0 0 0 0 $78,475
44 - Chris Cook 17 703 1 0 0 0 0 0 $78,825
45 - Boris Said 16 704 1 0 0 0 0 0 $109,922
46 - Brian Simo 11 709 1 0 0 0 0 0 $74,470
47 - T.J. Bell 7 713 3 0 0 0 0 3 $293,425
48 - Geoff Bodine 6 714 1 0 0 0 0 1 $84,300
49 - Brian Keselowski 3 717 1 0 0 0 0 1 $297,338
50 - Steve Park 2 718 1 0 0 0 0 1 $78,855

·
Super Moderator
23,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dodge Motorsports, 2011 NSCS Good Sam RV Insurance 500 Post-Race Recaps

Posted By Press Release On August 7, 2011 @ 7:53 pm In Press Releases,Sprint Cup Series |

Dodge Motorsports

BRAD KESELOWSKI [2] (No. 2 Miller Lite Dodge Charger R/T) Finsihed 1st

HOW DID YOU OVERCOME THE ANKLE INJURY TODAY TO WIN? “It’s not me, its good people. It’s having a Paul Wolfe (crew chief) and a team that digs. There are so many people to thank for being in victory lane, from Miller Lite to Sprint to the fans. I’m no hero. The heroes are the guys that died in Afghanistan this weekend and I want to spend time thinking about them. They were my inspiration for this weekend and the things that those guys do. I’m glad that we could win today, but those are the heroes. I just drive race cars for a living.”

NOW YOU’RE ELIGIBLE TO WIN THE SPRINT SUMMER SHOWDOWN? “That’s pretty cool. I’d like to win that money, but I’d much rather get these guys in the Chase. I would throw away the money if I could promise them we’d be in the Chase and have a good run at the championship. Runs like this are great and show that we can do it. I’ve got a good teammate in Kurt, he helped me out. It takes people like that and people on this team working together. It’s really turned around Penske Racing. It’s made it something that I’m really proud to be a part of and I’m looking forward to years of success here.”

CAN YOU TALK ABOUT THOSE CLOSING LAPS? “You’re trying to fight yourself. We had a fast Miller Lite Dodge Charger today and I was really good coming off of Turn 3. Paul worked on this car and made it better all day. I knew that if we got out front on that last restart, we’d be tough to catch. I had a mirror full of the 18 car; our Dodge was just a little bit better today.”

(DURING RAIN DELAY)
HOW WAS YOUR RUN TODAY?
“It was pretty good. I’m a little tired in the car. That’s alright. We’ll keep fighting. We were able to drive up to eighth; that was pretty good. We have decent speed in the Miller Lite Dodge Charger. We pitted right before the yellow came out, so we’re all curious to see…hopefully, we’ll get back to green. If we do, that should cycle us out to the front and we’re excited about that.”

YOU SLID THROUGH YOUR PIT BOX EARLY IN THE RACE. HOW MUCH IS THAT BRACE THAT YOU’RE WEARING AFFECTING YOU INSIDE THE CAR? “It’s a huge factor because you have to modulate the brakes as you come into your pit stall. You brake real hard and then you come off, and I can’t just modulate them. Once they lock up, I just can’t stop. I just slid through.”

HOW IS THE PAIN? “It doesn’t feel good, but I’ll be alright.”

KURT BUSCH [3] (No. 22 Shell/Pennzoil Dodge Charger R/T) Finished 3rd
“We were fast on a fresh race track and then we’d fade. I was racing Jimmie (Johnson) hard there at the end. I was racing, flat out. You want to race, let’s race. I didn’t know we were supposed to pull over when it came down to five to go. I raced him hard. I raced him smart. I raced him clean and he wants to come over here and bitch about it. Hey, he came off the turn and did at jab to my left; I did a jab back to the right. Why can’t we race each other like this and put on show for the fans and not have a problem with it? I don’t know.”

YOU LED A LOT OF LAPS, IT LOOKS LIKE THE CAR WAS STRONGER THAN EVER AFTER THE RAIN DELAY. “Today was definitely a hard-fought battle. Early on, we were able to benefit from our good qualifying position and run up front, exchanged the lead back and forth with (Joey) Logano and (Denny) Hamlin. Running right there, third, fourth or fifth and just clicking away laps. We always start off good when the track is fresh and then we just started to slide more and more when the track rubbers-in.

“We were struggling; just kind of hanging on to a top-10 spot and the rain came. We pitted right before the rain. At the time, I thought my crew chief was crazy. That would have trapped us 26th if we didn’t get it back underway. But luckily we did. And it looked like the Penske guys were the smartest guys when it came to a rain delay, because we came out 1-2 after the restart.

“Our car just took off on fresh race track that wasn’t rubbered in, and then the race track rubbered up really quick those last 60, 70, 80 alps and we were hanging on to it in the end, brought it home third. A good hard-fought battle for us, rooting for those two in front of me, my teammate and my younger brother, to wreck each other, but not to wreck each other. Of course I wanted both of them to win and I wanted to win, anybody but the 48. And us three, we came home up front.”

STEVE ADDINGTON (crew chief, No. 22 Shell/Pennzoil Dodge Charger R/T)
“I had made up my mind that we were going to try and win the race, but we had to get our track position back. We lost it there on the two-tire call with us and the 20 car. The 20 retained track position, we didn’t. We had to do something and take a chance. I’ve been real conservative; don’t take a lot of chances I guess. I thought I could gamble on it and could live with the outcome. When it started raining, Paul (Wolfe, crew chief for Brad Keselowski) and I, both of us started yelling hit pit road. It was a gamble, but we thought the rain would stop and we could finish the race. It worked out for us. I’m glad for the whole Penske organization, two cars in the top three here at Pocono. From where we were last year to finish first and third here, we’ve come a long ways.”

(DURING RAIN DELAY) “There were three or four of us that put two (tires) on (during green flag cycle between laps 82 and 88) and the rest put four on. We got beat right there. The 20 car maintained track position, got out in front of us and was able to hold everybody off. Once we get back out there, we’ll be fine. We pitted and the caution came out for rain, so we’re OK. We’ll see how things shake out.”

ROBBY GORDON (No. 7 SPEED Energy Dodge Charger R/T) Finished 35th
“We had planned on racing the whole race. The ignition wire coming out of the fire wall to the engine came undone or it overheated the ignition boxes. It was probably the wire, because they wiggled it and got it to work. At the same time, we changed the ignition boxes. We went back out, but when you’re 20 laps down, it doesn’t make sense to keep running. We have a new Dodge Charger for Watkins Glen, a brand new race car. We’re looking forward to next week, just hope nothing falls off the car and we can run the whole race.”

·
Super Moderator
23,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dodge Motorsports Notes & Quotes - NSCS Weekend Recap - Pocono
August 8, 2011 , LONG POND, Pa. - BRAD KESELOWSKI WINS AT POCONO, KURT BUSCH FINISHES THIRD

LONG POND, Pa – Brad Keselowski and the No. 2 Miller Lite Dodge team took a giant step toward securing a berth in this year’s Chase for the Championship in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series with a victory in Sunday’s Good Sam RV Insurance 500 at Pocono Raceway.

Keselowski, who broke his left foot and sustained other injuries in a high-speed crash during a test earlier in the week at Road Atlanta, took the lead from Kyle Busch with 16 laps remaining and held on for the win.

It was the second victory of the season for Keselowski and vaulted him up to 18th in the season point standings, both critical in quest of a Chase berth. Only five races remain to set the 12-driver field that will vie for the 2011 championship over the final 10 races of the season. The top 10 in the point standings after Richmond automatically advance. The final two berths go to the drivers 11th to 20th in the point standings with the most wins. With two victories, Keselowski goes to the top of that list. He must remain in the top 20.

There’s more good news for the Keselowski and his “Blue Deuce” team. The win qualifies him for the Sprint Summer Showdown at Atlanta next month where a win there would provide a big payday for the team, Keselowski’s charity and a fan. Each would receive a $1 million payday.

Penske teammate Kurt Busch also had a very productive afternoon in the No. 22 Shell/Pennzoil Dodge Charger, leading four times for 38 laps and finishing a strong third.

At one point, it appeared Mother Nature would spoil the day for the Dodge Boys. Rain threatened throughout the day and became a reality on lap 124 as a heavy downpour halted the action. Unfortunately, the two Dodges had just made green-flag pit stops. If the rain continued and the race was called (it would have been official because half of the 200-lap event had been run), Keselowski would have finished 24th and Busch 26th.

Fortunately, the rain stopped and the 10 jet dryers on hand were able to dry the racing surface. The engines were restarted after a lengthy delay of 1:40.46. With the other teams needing a trip to pit road for fuel, that left the two Penske cars occupying the front row for the restart on lap 129. The two would remain in the top five the rest of the race.

(After starting fifth, Busch ran in the top five but lost track position just past the halfway mark when a gamble on a two-tire stop didn’t work out exactly the way crew chief Steve Addington had planned, and the ‘Double Deuce” dropped back in the field. Busch still remained in the top 10 until the Penske crew chiefs opted for the pit stop just as the rain began.

Keselowski is 10 points inside the top 20 with the road course of Watkins Glen the next stop on the 36-race schedule.

“At the end of the first run of the race today, I felt like we were really, really strong and had a good shot of getting a solid day out of it,” said Keselowski. “I wasn't sure we were going to be able to win, but I felt we could finish somewhere around fifth. But this guy here, Paul Wolfe, adjusted on it, made it a little bit better. We got that rain delay, which was a great recharge session for me, and it's what we needed. Everything kind of came together here, and we were able to overcome adversity. I think when we look back at this years from now, I think that's what I'll think about, overcoming adversity.

“Nobody gives us anything. And they sure as hell didn't give us anything this weekend. We earned this win. And I've always wanted to win a Cup race and earn it, not fuel mileage, not Talladega, a real win. And today feels like that. And for that, I'm real proud. And I can't wait to see what the next few months bring us.

“I think winning two races is probably really good for our Chase hopes, gives us pretty high odds. Maybe if we keep running like this, maybe we can get a third win and we'll be damn near immune, unless we fall out of the top 20. We’re going in the right direction with this 2 team. I’m proud of everyone on the Miller Lite Dodge Charger, this is a big win for us. This is somewhat of a validation, I think.”

Wolfe credits the work of his engineers with monitoring the weather, seeing a window behind the initial band of showers. “My engineers did a great job monitoring the radar (weather) all race long,’ said Wolfe, “and we got down there at that point in the race, it was like they were pretty confident that it was going to rain, but it would clear out enough where we could finish the race. So, it's all about those two wins to get into The Chase. We knew that's what it was going to take. I felt like it was somewhat of a gamble to come down at that point, but at the same time, we felt like it was an educated gamble at that. It wasn't just a shot in the dark.”

Busch jumped two spots to fourth in the point standings. He’s only 14 points behind the leader.

“Today was definitely a hard-fought battle,” said Busch. “Early on, we were able to benefit from our good qualifying position and run up front in the Shell/Pennzoil Dodge, right there in third, in fourth and fifth and just clicking away laps. We always start off good when the track is fresh and then we just start to slide more and more when the track rubbers in.

“We were struggling; just kind of hanging on to a top-10 spot and the rain came. We pitted right before the rain. At the time, I thought my crew chief was crazy and would finish 26th if the race didn’t restart. But luckily we did. And it looked like the Penske guys were the smartest guys when the race restarted, we were 1-2.”

NATIONWIDE SERIES

Sam Hornish Jr. has proven himself a winner. He stood on the podium 47 times in IndyCar Series competition. He posted 16 wins and claimed the series title three times. In Saturday night’s U. S. Cellular 250 at Iowa Speedway, Hornish was looking for another defining moment in his career, this time in NASCAR competition.

Taking over the reins for Brad Keselowski, Hornish was on a mission to make it back-to-back wins for the No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge Challenger and collect his first Nationwide victory. He served notice early in the 250-lap event he was up to the task. He led 39 laps, 26 more than he has in 27 previous races in the series, and raced in the top five through the first 150 laps of the 250-lap event. His effort and mission was dealt a devastating blow when he ran over debris on the track and cut down the right front tire with just under 100 laps remaining.

“It was just a disappointing night,” said Hornish. “We had a really good car for the first 150 laps. We ran over a piece of debris and cut down the right front tire and in trying to get into the pits, we broke a brake line. So we spent the rest of the race trying to get all four brakes back, but we never seemed to get there. It's unfortunate that the night ended like it did.”

The team managed to make repairs and keep the No. 22 on the track at the checkered flag. Hornish finished 24th.

“The No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge Challenger was pretty fast and we were able to lead a few laps early on,” said Hornish. “I really need to get this monkey off my back. It seems that no matter what happens, we always have some kind of issue. I'm very proud of the whole Discount Tire team and the car that they gave me. I just wish we could have gotten more out of tonight. "

CAMPING WORLD TRUCK SERIES
A 50-lap race, even on a 2.5-mile track like Pocono Raceway, is a sprint. Sometimes, it just takes a couple of days to complete. Rain forced the postponement of the race on Saturday after 17 laps. The race was completed on Sunday morning with a bonus. The race was extended beyond the scheduled distance for a green-white-checkered finish.

Parker Kligerman was the leader in the No. 29 Penske Truck Rental Ram when the race was halted and led the first seven laps on the restart before giving way to eventual winner Kevin Harvick. They were the only two leaders in the race with Harvick leading 44 laps and Kligerman nine.

The plan was for the No. 29 to make it to the halfway before making a pit stop. The trip to pit road took a bit more time than usual, putting Kligerman farther back in the field than the team would have liked, an unfavorable position.

“Yesterday, we got a great qualifying spot, starting fourth in our Brad Keselowski-owned team,” said Kligerman. “We had a strategy and that was to go past halfway and pit. Everything worked out. We led laps and were running fourth when we came in, had a bad pit stop and lost a bunch of spots. From there on out, it was making the right choices on the track. It was tough working around those people with the choices they were making. The truck wasn’t as good in traffic. So we came in (pit road) again trying to make it better and came out 20th. It’s just hard to pass out there.”

Kligerman worked his way back up to 13th at the checkered flag.

Race Results
NASCAR Sprint Cup Series
Indianapolis Motor Speedway
Sunday, July 31, 2011
1. Brad Keselowski
2. Kyle Busch
3. Kurt Busch
4. Jimmie Johnson
5. Ryan Newman
6. Jeff Gordon
7. Carl Edwards
8. Greg Biffle
9. Dale Earnhardt Jr.
10. Paul Menard
35. Robby Gordon

NSCS Driver Point Standings
(After 21 of 36 races)
1. Carl Edwards 720
2. Jimmie Johnson -9
3. Kyle Busch -11
4. Kurt Busch -14
5. Kevin Harvick -20
6. Matt Kenseth -26
7. Jeff Gordon -52
8. Ryan Newman -62
9. Tony Stewart -78
10. Dale Earnhardt Jr. -79
18. Brad Keselowski -162
34. Robby Gordon -517

Race Results
NASCAR Nationwide Series
U.S. Cellular 250
Iowa Speedway
Saturday, August 6, 2011
1. Ricky Stenhouse Jr.
2. Carl Edwards
3. Elliott Sadler
4. Josh Wise
5. Aric Almirola
7. Kenny Wallace
8. Steve Wallace
9. Michael McDowell
10. David Mayhew
24. Sam Hornish Jr.

NASCAR Nationwide Series
Point Standings
(After 22 of 34 races)
1. Ricky Stenhouse Jr. 787
2. Reed Sorenson -12
3. Elliott Sadler -29
4. Aric Almirola -77
5. Justin Allgaier -83
6. Jason Leffler -110
7. Kenny Wallace -113
8. Steve Wallace -179
9. Michael Annett -189
10. Brian Scott -191

Race Results
NASCAR Camping World Truck Series
Good Sam RV Emergency Road Service 125
Pocono Raceway
Sunday, August 7, 2011
(First 17 laps completed on Saturday, August 6, 2011)
1. Kevin Harvick
2. Kyle Busch
3. James Buescher
4. Johnny Sauter
5. Austin Dillon
6. Joey Coulter
7. Mark Martin
8. Matt Crafton
9. Ron Hornaday Jr.
10. Timothy Peters
13. Parker Kligerman

Camping World Truck Series
Point Standings
(After 14 of 25 races)
1. Johnny Sauter 493
2. Austin Dillon -5
3. James Buescher -19
4. Timothy Peters -28
5. Cole Witt -40
6. Matt Crafton -42
7. Joey Coulter -52
8. Parker Kligerman -54
9. Ron Hornaday Jr. -57
10. Todd Bodine -78

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
1 Participant
rickaren
Dodge Nitro Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Dodge Nitro SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing