Track Facts
Michigan International Speedway

Banking/Turns: D-Oval
Distance: 2.00 miles
Shape: D-Oval

Most Cup Wins (since 1975)

Bill Elliott: 7

Date Race Name Pole Winner Race Winner Make Purse

6/13/10 Heluva Good! Sour Cream Dips 400 Kurt Busch Denny Hamlin Toyota $5,129,955
8/15/10 Carfax 400 Kasey Kahne Kevin Harvick Chevrolet $5,126,880
6/14/09 LifeLock 400 Brian Vickers Mark Martin Chevrolet $5,282,675
8/16/09 Carfax 400 Brian Vickers Brian Vickers Toyota $5,279,259
6/15/08 LifeLock 400 Kyle Busch Dale Earnhardt Jr. Chevrolet $5,243,196
8/17/08 3M Performance 400 Brian Vickers Carl Edwards Ford $5,239,780
6/17/07 Citizens Bank 400 J.J. Yeley Carl Edwards Ford $5,137,383
8/21/07 3M Performance 400 Jeff Gordon Kurt Busch Dodge $5,138,579

·
Super Moderator
23,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dodge Motorsports Notes & Quotes - NNS Race Advance - Michigan
June 15, 2011 , BROOKLYN, Mich. - For Immediate Release
Dodge Motorsports NNS Race Advance
Alliance Truck Parts 250
Saturday, June 18, 2011

BRAD KESELOWSKI

– No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge Challenger R/T

Career Starts: 153

Wins: 12

Top Fives: 65

Top 10s: 91

Poles: 8

Career Highlights:

· Posted wins in last two starts at Michigan and has not finished farther back than 13th in four races on the two-mile track.

· The defending NASCAR Nationwide Series champion.

· Earned Penske Racing its first NASCAR champion last season.

· Set career-best results in 2010 for wins (6), top fives (26), top 10s (29) and poles (5).

· First Nationwide victory came at Nashville Superspeedway (2008).

SAM HORNISH

- No. 12 Alliance Truck Parts Dodge Challenger R/T

Career Starts: 25

Wins: 0

Top Fives: 0

Top 10s: 1

Poles: 0

Career Highlights:

· Fifth Nationwide start of the season (Daytona, Texas, Talladega and Richmond).

· Making his second career Nationwide start at Michigan; finished 25th in 2007.

· Made his NASCAR Nationwide Series debut with Penske Racing at Phoenix Int’l Raceway in the fall of 2006.

DID YOU KNOW

· Brad Keselowski started from the pole at MIS last year and led 89 laps en route to victory. His best finish this season came at Texas where he finished second. He has nine top-10 finishes in 14 starts in 2011 including six top fives. His last win came at Gateway last season (17 races ago).

· Sam Hornish Jr. has made five Nationwide starts this season. He started second and finished seventh at Richmond, both season bests. He followed with a 12th at Charlotte.

· There were only two cautions in last year’s 250-mile race at MIS. Two of the 19 Nationwide races at the track have been run without a caution.

SAM SAYS
“Living in nearby Defiance, Ohio, I consider Michigan my home track so it’s nice to be able to come home for a few days and have family and friends come out to the race as well. Another reason to be excited is that Alliance Truck Parts is sponsoring the race this weekend so I feel even more privileged to be sporting their black and yellow colors. It’s always great to get back together with the No. 12 crew as well. I feel like each week together, we keep improving so I can’t wait to see how the weekend turns out.”
Sam Hornish Jr., driver, No. 12 Alliance Auto Parts Dodge Challenger R/T

DODGE QUOTES
“It felt really good to dominate the way we did at Michigan last year with the new Discount Tire Dodge Challenger. As a driver, you dream about having cars that drive like that one did. That win helped validate the win from 2009 because I heard a lot about that race being given to me. All you can do is put yourself in position for wins and that’s what I felt I did in that race. Last year, there was no doubt who had the best car. We definitely need a win in 2011 and I can’t think of a better track to pick one up than Michigan. We should have a pretty strong notes package from last year that should help us roll right off the truck with speed. It would be pretty sweet to get three in a row at my home track.”
Brad Keselowski, No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge

“I think our intermediate track program is starting to come around to the point where I feel like we should be competing for wins. We’re just missing that little bit to put us over the top. Michigan should provide us with a good track to make that leap. We had an off-weekend while the Cup cars were in Pocono, but I don’t think very many of us took a vacation. We were all focused on getting as prepared as we can for this weekend because of the importance that is placed on running well at Michigan, especially after the dominating win by this team there last year. Michigan, for the Nationwide Series cars, is all about momentum and keeping the car wound up the entire lap. It’s a big, wide race track that is very forgiving, which is the reason that it is a favorite of the drivers and teams.”
Todd Gordon, Crew Chief – No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge

“The No. 12 Alliance Truck Parts crew has been looking forward to Michigan for a few weeks now. We overcame some obstacles at Charlotte (Motor Speedway) but we are ready to move on and continue to improve. We have a brand new chassis this week, No. 220, that we have been working on in the shop these last few weeks so we’re ready to see how successful it can be. I also couldn’t be happier to represent Alliance Truck Parts for the Alliance Truck Parts 250, hopefully we can give them an extra reason to celebrate by bring home a win.”
Chad Walter, Crew Chief -- No. 12 Alliance Auto Parts Dodge Challenger R/T

·
Super Moderator
23,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dodge Motorsports Notes & Quotes - NSCS Race Advance - Michigan
June 14, 2011 , BROOKLYN, Mich. - For Immediate Release
Dodge Motorsports Notes & Quotes
NSCS Race Advance
HELUVA GOOD! Sour Cream Dips 400
Sunday, June 19, 2011

DODGE NEWS AND NOTES

· Kurt Busch is the only Sprint Cup Series driver who has been in the top-10 of driver points all season. He has scored more points – 121 – in the last three races than any other driver in the top 10. Kevin Harvick has earned 119, Dale Earnhardt Jr. 118.

· Robby Gordon returns as the driver of the No. 7 SPEED Energy Dodge Charger this weekend at MIS. Johnny Sauter and Scott Wimmer filled in the last two races. Gordon must make the field on time this weekend as the No. 7 is not in the top 35 in owner points.

DODGE AT MICHIGAN INTERNATIONAL SPEEDWAY

· Dodge has won nine races at Michigan International Speedway (Charlie Glotzbach, Richard Petty (2), Sterling Marlin, Ryan Newman (2), Jeremy Mayfield, Kasey Kahne and Kurt Busch.

· Kurt Busch started from the pole at MIS last June, his first at the two-mile track. He won the rain-shortened race in August 2007 after starting 15th. He has two wins at MIS and eight top-10 finishes in 20 starts.

· Dodge holds the MIS qualifying record of 37.069 seconds, 194.232 mph (Ryan Newman, June 2005).

· A Dodge has started from the pole seven times at MIS.

THE DODGE BOYS

· Dodge has 208 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series victories.

· Dodge’s most recent win came at Kansas Speedway. Brad Keselowski led nine of 267 laps en route to his victory in the STP 400. The victory is Dodge’s first of the 2011 season.

· Dodge teams have posted 48 victories since the manufacturer’s return to NASCAR’s premier series in 2001 after being out of the sport since 1977.

· Dodge has posted wins each season since its return in 2001 including seven wins twice (2002 and 2006).

· Dodge earned victories at the season opening Bud Shootout and Gatorade Duel at Daytona Int’l Speedway.

· Dodge claimed two Sprint Cup victories in 2010.

INSIDE THE NUMBERS

· Penske Racing and Dodge will be seeking a fourth straight pole this weekend at MIS. The last time Penske and Dodge recorded four consecutive poles was in 2004 (Charlotte, Martinsville, Atlanta and Phoenix).

· There have been 83 Sprint Cup races at MIS. The first was run June 15, 1969. There have been two races at the track every year except 1973.

DID YOU KNOW

· Dodge’s Brad Keselowski and father Bob are two of eight drivers from Michigan who have won an event in one of NASCAR’s three touring series (Brad – 2 Sprint Cup, 12 Nationwide and Bob – 1 Camping World Truck).

ODDS AND ENDS

· Dodge’s Kurt Busch has posted three consecutive top 10s in his No. 22 Shell/Pennzoil Dodge Charger (Charlotte 4th, Kansas 9th and Pocono 2nd). His second-place finish last weekend at Pocono was a season best.

· Dodge earned its third consecutive pole of the season last weekend at Pocono.

· Brad Keselowski is one of three drivers outside the top-12 in the driver point standings with a win this season.

MICHIGAN INTERNATIONAL SPEEDWAY BEST

· Kurt Busch Start – Pole – 2010 (June)
Finish – Win – 2003, 07 (Jun/Aug)

· Brad Keselowski Start – 12th – 2008 (Aug.)
Finish – 24th – 2008 (Aug.)

· Robby Gordon Start – Third – 2003 (Aug.)
Finish – Sixth – 2003 (Aug.)

FROM THE ENGINEER
"As we come to the two-mile, wide-open spaces of Michigan, it’s hard to believe it's been nearly three months since we ran on the same length oval at Fontana. The two tracks are very similar, not the same, but similar and teams tend to use notes from one to the other. Fontana in March was the first time we ran on a two-mile track with NASCAR's new lower front fascia. Lessons learned from that race should give teams a better starting point for their aerodynamic package for MIS. Michigan is unique in many ways and the aerodynamic package that teams need here is at the forefront of that uniqueness."
Howard Comstock, Dodge Motorsports Engineering

FROM THE CREW CHIEF: STEVE ADDINGTON
“I’ll bet if you look back at the record book, you’ll see that a huge proportion of the Michigan races were won because of fuel mileage. The reason for that is simple – there are always so few cautions on that track. It’s so wide and there is so much racing room, you don’t see guys running into each other like you do on most of the other tracks. But with the importance of getting the race wins and probably 20 or more teams out there truly capable of winning, you can bet on it being a fuel-mileage deal at Michigan.”

DODGE MOTORSPORTS QUOTE OF THE WEEK
“I think if you look at the way that our team is performing, we’re more than capable of being in the top-20 on our own merits with the way that we’ve been running. We just need to continue to execute. We’re a team that is growing stronger every week. If we can continue to grow as we’ve grown so far and at the same rate, I think that not only will we be a Chase-capable team, perhaps makes some noise in it.”
Brad Keselowski, No. 2 Miller Lite Dodge Charger R/T

DODGE QUOTES
“Really, the fuel mileage importance has become the nature of our sport, like it or not. With NASCAR changing the points system around and throwing the ‘wild card’ entry into the Chase by race wins, it’s sent the importance of winning through the roof. Teams are willing to take more chances than ever. They’ll roll the dice and throw caution to the wind. We’ve seen it in almost all the races recently. At Charlotte in the Coca-Cola 600, there were all the cars trying to go the distance stretching their fuel and running out at the end.”
Kurt Busch, No. 22 Shell/Pennzoil Dodge Charger R/T

"I always have a lot of fun when it’s time to head to Michigan. It’s one of those tracks that mean so much to me and my family. I remember going there watching my dad race back when I was a little kid and can remember coming through the tunnel amazed at how big this place was to me. It’s cool to be back home and race in front of family and friends. It’s in Dodge’s backyard and we certainly know how important of a race it is for them. They’ve been a tremendous help to our program and to get them, a long with Miller Lite, in Victory Lane would be awesome.”
Brad Keselowski, No 2 Miller Lite Dodge Charger R/T

·
Super Moderator
23,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dodge Motorsports Presents The NUMBERS: Heluva Good! Sour Cream Dips 400

Posted By Press Release On June 14, 2011

THE NUMBERS for the HELUVA GOOD! Sour Cream Dips 400
Michigan Int’l Speedway (all Sprint Cup [3] races)

Dodge Motorsports
0 – fewest cautions (three times, most recent 6/13/99)

1 – fewest laps led by race winner (Mark Martin [4], 6/14/09)

2 – fewest cars on lead lap at finish (five times, most recent 6/15/75)

5 – fewest leaders (five times, most recent 8/12/84)

6 – races won from outside a top-20 starting position

6 – wins by Dodge at MIS since manufacturer’s return to NASCAR [5] in 2001

7 – fewest lead changes (8/12/84)

8 – number of jet dryers available for track drying this weekend at MIS

9 – most wins (David Pearson)

10 – most poles (David Pearson)

10 – most cautions (8/20/06)

11 – wins by car owner (Wood Brothers, Jack Roush)

14 – fewest cars running at finish (6/16/74)

15 – most leaders (6/20/82)

18 – drivers with more than one win

20 – drivers with more than one pole at MIS

24 – wins from the front row; 16 from the pole

32 – worst starting position for race winner (Mark Martin, 2009)

33 – different race winners

37 – most cars on lead lap at finish (6/18/06)

40 – different pole winners

41 – most cars running at finish (five times, most recent 6/17/07)

63 – most caution laps (8/24/75)

65 – most lead changes (8/16/81)

120 minutes – approximate amount of time it takes to dry the 2.0-mile track

162 – laps led by race winner (Rusty Wallace, 8/20/89)

Key Dates in MIS History

1967 – year construction began on MIS
1969 – first Sprint Cup race
1972 – track purchased by Roger Penske
1973 – only one Sprint Cup race
1999 – year MIS purchased by ISC

2011 Caution Update

3 – number of races extended beyond scheduled distance in 2011
4 – fewest cautions this season (Fontana and Pocono)
16 – most cautions this season (Daytona)
115 – number of cautions in the first 14 races of 2011; includes 51 for accidents, 27 for debris and 19 for spins
565 of 4,548 – number of laps under caution in 2011
745.429 of 5,872.000 – miles under caution in the first 14 races

BONUS: In addition to Michigan Int’l Speedway, three other Michigan tracks hosted five NASCAR Sprint Cup Series events in the 1950s – Grand River Speedrome (Grand Rapids), Michigan State Fairgrounds (Detroit) and Monroe Speedway. (Marshal Teague and Lee Petty posted victories in the two races at Grand River Speedrome, Tommy Thompson and Tim Flock won the two at Michigan State Fairgrounds and Flock was the winner in the only race at Monroe Speedway).

- Darnell Communications for Dodge Motorsports, Press Release

·
Super Moderator
23,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NNS: Keselowski Right At Home At MIS
Written by: Jared Turner
Date: 06/16/2011 -

Brad Keselowski’s hopes of repeating as Nationwide Series champion disappeared before the 2011 season ever started when NASCAR announced that drivers could no longer earn points in multiple NASCAR national series.

Keselowski, who is running full-time in both the Sprint Cup and Nationwide Series this year, obviously chose to collect points toward his Cup effort.

With no points but plenty of pride at stake, Keselowski and his Penske Racing team still had big hopes for their Nationwide program. And considering the young driver rolled up six wins en route to a dominate 2010 title run, expectations were predictably high.

But 14 races into the 2011 Nationwide campaign, Keselowski hasn’t won – yet.

Michigan International Speedway, site of Saturday’s Alliance Truck Parts 250, could very well change all that.

Keselowski, a native of Rochester, Mich., has been nothing short of spectacular in Nationwide outings in his home state.

His last two trips to the fast, 2-mile oval have produced victories – the first with JR Motorsports in 2009 and the most recent last season with Penske.

While Keselowski needed a last-lap pass of Brian Vickers and Kyle Busch to snare his initial win at MIS, last year’s triumph came in convincing fashion as he led 89 of 125 laps.

The 27-year-old therefore seems understandably confident about his chances of a three-peat at MIS this weekend.

“It felt really good to dominate the way we did at Michigan last year with the new Discount Tire Dodge Challenger,” Keselowski said. “As a driver, you dream about having cars that drive like that one did. That win helped validate the win from 2009 because I heard a lot about that race being given to me. All you can do is put yourself in position for wins and that’s what I felt I did in that race. Last year, there was no doubt who had the best car.

“We definitely need a win in 2011 and I can’t think of a better track to pick one up than Michigan. We should have a pretty strong notes package from last year that should help us roll right off the truck with speed. It would be pretty sweet to get three in a row at my home track.”

Michigan is indeed special to Keselowski, and his family. His his father, Bob, and uncle, Ron, both competed at MIS in NASCAR and ARCA competition.

Brad has always enjoyed racing near his stomping grounds.

“I always have a lot of fun when it’s time to head to Michigan,” Keselowski said. “It’s one of those tracks that mean so much to me and my family. I remember going there watching my dad race back when I was a little kid and can remember coming through that tunnel amazed at how big this place was to me. It’s cool to be back home to race in front of family and friends. It’s in Dodge’s backyard and we certainly know how important of a race it is for them.”

Keselowski has posted nine top 10s, including six top fives, in this year’s 14 Nationwide events but he’s also had four DNFs. He rolls into Michigan with a fair amount of momentum, having finished third and sixth before suffering a blown engine at Chicagoland when the Nationwide Series last convened two weeks ago.

Keselowski is also riding the momentum of his win two weeks ago in his Penske Cup car at Kansas.

It could all add up to a big day for Keselowski on Saturday in the Irish Hills.

“I think our intermediate track program is starting to come around to the point where I feel like we should be competing for wins,” said Todd Gordon, Keselowski’s crew chief. “We’re just missing that little bit to put us over the top. Michigan should provide us with a good track to make that leap. We had an off-weekend while the Cup cars were in Pocono, but I don’t think very many of us took a vacation.

“We were all focused on getting as prepared as we can for this weekend because of the importance that is placed on running well at Michigan, especially after the dominating win by this team there last year.”

·
Super Moderator
23,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dodge Motorsports Notes & Quotes - Kurt Busch Open Interview - Michigan
June 17, 2011 , BROOKLYN, Mich. - Friday, June 17, 2011

Dodge Motorsports PR
Michigan Int’l Speedway

KURT BUSCH (No. 22 Shell/Pennzoil Dodge Charger R/T) CAN YOU TALK ABOUT THE GREAT THREE-RACE STRETCH YOU HAD? “It’s been a good three-race stretch for us, even further back to Dover. Working through some of the ins-and-outs to make our team better and how we can perform better. Last week, we had a great shot at winning and finished second. The week before, we led the most laps at Kansas and were four laps shy on fuel and brought it home ninth. The week before that, it was a good run at Charlotte and were running in the top 10 most of the day and come home fourth on the fuel-strategy side. It’s just nice to get back to some of the basics. Earlier in the year, we were running around 25th-place. We were running around 20th at Texas most of the day. It’s good to be up there competing for those wins and putting ourselves in contention. That’s what Roger Penske always says and it’s a good feeling to run up front and lead laps.

“To be up here at Michigan with all the race fans and of course the auto manufacturer’s backyard, this is a big event weekend for Dodge. They had an employee appreciation day last Saturday and over 35,000 people came out to the headquarters to celebrate. A bunch of executives came out handing out hot dogs, serving drinks. It’s just great to see Dodge, Mopar and the Chrysler family on the rebound. Out on the race track, we’re doing our job and we need to continue to do that.”

WHAT IS YOUR SENSE OF THE NEW POINT SYSTEM? “I didn’t check it this week, but there’s websites out there that have the updated point system and have last year’s system. You can compare them. I checked it a few weeks back. The same guys that were in the top 10 are the same guys in the top 10 with the new system. It really doesn’t matter. I think the only interesting element that we have with the new system is the wildcard where, if you get a win and you’re in the top-20, you have a shot at making the Chase over guys who haven’t won races. I’m included in that group who hasn’t won races. Dale Jr. is in that group. There are quite a few guys. Right now, if Brad Keselowski gained 13 more points, he’d be locked into the Chase. That’s the element that we’re all fighting. It’s different in the fact that to get a win, you can do it off of fuel mileage, you can stay out on tires and try and hold track position. (There are) many different ways to win races, but primarily, if you’re going to stretch something, you’re going to stretch you’re fuel. Is that good or bad for the sport?”

SUNDAY IS FATHER’S DAY; WHAT IS THE BEST LESSON YOUR DAD EVER GAVE YOU? “Dad taught Kyle and I everything about race cars, how to work on them, how to driver them, how to protect them. Even when we did things wrong racing them, he was there to pinpoint what was wrong. I think the No. 1 lesson was when I was seven-years old, I had a go-kart. It was just a little yard kart. It wasn’t meant to go racing. It was just meant to be a fun toy. Well, I didn’t treat it like a toy. He treated it like a tool with me. Every Sunday after we watched the Cup race, we would load it up in the back of the truck, take it over to the bank parking lot – banks are closed on Sunday’s – smash a couple Coke cans, throw them out (there) and (he would) tell me to drive. He would have a stopwatch and keep track of me. He’d tell me to go left, go right, and do a figure-eight. He would teach me what to do…change air pressures on it. Then the go-kart would go back in the truck, back in the shed and I wouldn’t touch it throughout the week.

“Even when one of my buddies would come over and say, ‘hey, let’s take the go-kart out and find trouble, find mischief’, I’d say no and that I don’t do that. I don’t take my go-kart out without my dad. That’s probably the best lesson that he ever taught me.”

LAST YEAR, BEING THE ONLY DODGE TEAM IN THE FIELD, YOU MENTIONED THAT YOU WERE ON AN ISLAND OF YOUR OWN. DURING YOU STRUGGLES EARLIER THIS YEAR, BEING THE ONLY DODGE TEAM, DID THAT CONTRIBUTE TO THAT AT ALL? “I don’t think so. I think that it gets back to just the procedures and how we’re doing things internally. I think we get sufficient support from Dodge and that group. Meeting with some of the top engineers yesterday and seeing the Pennzoil people there and meeting with the engine developers. It was a great day to see those three groups – the (Penske) South engine builders, the North (Dodge) designers and the group out of Houston, Texas from Pennzoil there to show them the lubricants they can bring in and help us develop the power we need, the cooling and everything that we need under the hood. It was great. There are aerodynamicists working right now on the 2013 car and what we’re going to bring to the table. It’s great just to see everybody working in-tune with one another to expose myself and Brad and even Robby Gordon, we see the support from the manufacturer. It’s great.”

HAVE YOU HEARD THAT NASCAR CONFISCATED THE OIL PANS FROM THE GIBBS CARS TODAY? WHEN YOU HEAR SOMETHING LIKE THAT, DOES IT RAISE AN EYEBROW? “There’s always the fun time in the morning as a driver to go sign in, peek your head in the door and see what NASCAR has found on race weekends. It sits there right on that countertop through Friday morning. It’s always fun to peek in and see what that is. They put a tag on it from what car it came from and you analyze it and look at it. They leave it there for other teams to look at, feel it, touch it, and see what they’ve got going on. I saw the cross-member cut into the oil pan. I saw how heavy it was and you go back to your team and say, ‘this is what I saw’ and they say, ‘ yeah, we already saw it. We’ve got our engine guys on it. We know what they’re up too.’ It’s open. When you have an unapproved part like that, whether they submitted it or they didn’t (to NASCAR), it’s just open for everybody to see. And if you weren’t working on that internally, now we have an opportunity to do that.

“My evaluation is that we’re going to look at it. I’m not in-tuned enough to know where our engine department stands with this oil pan, whether it’s aerodynamically sensitive, whether it’s lowering the weight in the car or if it’s something else with horsepower – the way that the oil goes through the pan. You get to see it all. It’s exposed and it’s right there.”

HOW FINE OF A LINE ARE THE TEAMS TOEING WITH THE RULES? “It’s a tough line that’s drawn. There’s a rulebook. There’s the grey area. There’s the relationship that you have with NASCAR. There are the times that you were up against that limit for so long that when you do cross the line, it’s almost as if they were trying to tell you, but you did (cross the line) and now they really have to get on you hard. If you do an honest mistake, which sometimes happens, there’s a small penalty in that. Like Kyle’s (Busch) left front was just a little too low after Pocono, that’s a six-point penalty. Clint Bowyer’s deal last year was 150 points. That’s very large, a huge amount and that takes a full race of points. Maybe they’re up against that window for too long or maybe the tow truck beat it up? I don’t know. There are different reasons for different penalties and NASCAR has their reason for it. The best thing to do is just don’t put yourself in position to have them make a call on you. Whether an unapproved part or the way that you hung your body or speeding down pit road, you never know.”

HOW HAS THE NEW POINT SYSTEM CHANGED YOUR APPROACH TO THE RACE? “I think wins add insurance in your pocket. You feel real good about your position. Like Kevin Harvick, there’s no way he’s going to miss the Chase. He’s got three wins. That’s how I would feel if I were him. If I was Juan Pablo Montoya with zero wins, 14th in points, I’ve got to go win Sonoma. I’ve got to go try and get Watkins Glen, those are my two best chances. The same thing for (Marcos) Ambrose who I believe is in the top 20 in points. Then you have a Michigan race that could be a fuel mileage race. Then Kentucky, who knows what’s going to happen there? I think Kentucky will play into the hands of guys like Joey Logano, Brad Keselowski, and Carl Edwards, guys who have run Nationwide there over the years. I think those are the guys that will run strong there and they’ll be tough to beat.”

·
Super Moderator
23,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dodge Motorsports Notes & Quotes - NSCS Keys For Success - Michigan
June 18, 2011 , BROOKLYN, Mich. - Saturday, June 18, 2011

Dodge Motorsports PR
Heluva Good! Sour Cream Dips 400
NASCAR Sprint Cup Series

KEYS FOR SUCCESS: Heluva Good! Sour Cream Dips 400

BROOKLYN, Mich. (Saturday, June 18, 2011) – Each race weekend, selected Dodge Motorsports engineers, Penske Racing engineers and crew chiefs, drivers or engine specialists give their insight on the ‘Keys for Success’ for the upcoming race. This week, Howard Comstock, Dodge Motorsports Engineering, provides the keys for Sunday’s Sprint Cup race.

Track: Michigan International Speedway (Race 15 of 36 in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series)

Race: Heluva Good! Sour Cream Dips 400 (200 laps / 400 miles)

Trivia Question: What is the fewest number of cautions for a Sprint Cup race at MIS? (Answer Below)

HOWARD COMSTOCK (Dodge Motorsports Engineering)

Fuel Economy vs. Tire Strategy: “Michigan is a big race track, lots of room for drivers. Consequently, we see fewer cautions here than at most places. Given the way that the early part of the season has gone, it’s very possible that we’ll see even fewer cautions than we normally see here. Fuel economy and tire strategy are both going to be big. Along with fuel economy, we have to remember tire economy. If you have to stretch laps to work out a fuel strategy, you have to make sure your tires last for that longer run. Team that try to stretch their fuel strategy will keep a keen eye on tire wear, being mindful of tire falloff. If you say that fuel economy is the most important key in this race, you best not overlook the tire component of how fast your lap times fall off with worn tires.”

Wild Card Strategy: “The teams that are outside the top 10, but in the top 20 and vying for those two wild card spots (11th and 12th position), have got to start gambling. They have to start gambling for a race win because they don’t have a shot at making the top 10. There are some pretty strong performers in the top 10, but you could still make the Chase if you have a race win and are inside the top 20. How do you get a race win? You gamble by trying to stretch that fuel; gambling by trying to do one less pit stop than everybody else. If the race runs green at the end and you have enough fuel to make it, maybe slowing down a bit to save fuel becomes the strategy. There are several different strategies that crew chiefs will try to employ to get that crucial race win.”

Trivia Question Answer: Three Cup races have been caution free at MIS (1973, ‘84, and ‘99).

·
Super Moderator
23,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NASCAR Qualifying

Last Updated: Saturday, Jun 18, 2011 3:27 pm, EDT

Order Driver (No.) Car Qualifying Speed

1 Kurt Busch (22) Dodge 188.699
2 David Reutimann (00) Toyota 188.684
3 Matt Kenseth (17) Ford 188.620
4 Brian Vickers (83) Toyota 188.157
5 Regan Smith (78) Chevrolet 187.607
6 Tony Stewart (14) Chevrolet 187.578
7 Greg Biffle (16) Ford 187.554
8 Kasey Kahne (4) Toyota 187.534
9 Paul Menard (27) Chevrolet 187.485
10 Denny Hamlin (11) Toyota 187.437
11 Martin Truex Jr. (56) Toyota 187.393
12 Landon Cassill (51) Chevrolet 187.232
13 Ryan Newman (39) Chevrolet 187.227
14 Jamie McMurray (1) Chevrolet 187.154
15 Dale Earnhardt Jr. (88) Chevrolet 187.130
16 Bobby Labonte (47) Toyota 187.062
17 Trevor Bayne (21) Ford 187.032
18 Marcos Ambrose (9) Ford 187.023
19 Mark Martin (5) Chevrolet 186.969
20 David Ragan (6) Ford 186.732
21 Jimmie Johnson (48) Chevrolet 186.669
22 Kevin Harvick (29) Chevrolet 186.669
23 Carl Edwards (99) Ford 186.601
24 Kyle Busch (18) Toyota 186.567
25 Juan Pablo Montoya (42) Chevrolet 186.553
26 A J Allmendinger (43) Ford 186.509
27 Clint Bowyer (33) Chevrolet 186.403
28 Travis Kvapil (38) Ford 186.220
29 Joe Nemechek (87) Toyota 185.821
30 Joey Logano (20) Toyota 185.749
31 Jeff Gordon (24) Chevrolet 185.711
32 David Stremme (30) Chevrolet 185.644
33 Jeff Burton (31) Chevrolet 185.553
34 J.J. Yeley (46) Chevrolet 185.304
35 Mike Bliss (32) Ford 185.252
36 Andy Lally (71) Ford 184.776
37 Robby Gordon (7) Dodge 184.686
38 Michael McDowell (66) Toyota 184.573
39 Casey Mears (13) Toyota 184.544
40 David Gilliland (34) Ford 184.440
41 Brad Keselowski (2) Dodge 184.176
42 Dave Blaney (36) Chevrolet 182.662
43 Scott Riggs (181) Chevrolet 183.781
44 Tony Raines (37) DNQ 183.744
45 Brian Keselowski (192) DNQ 182.463
46 Mike Skinner (60) DNQ 181.539

·
Super Moderator
23,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FOUR POLES IN A ROW!

Dodge Motorsports, 2011 NSCS Heluva Good! Sour Cream Dips 400 Post-Qualifying Recaps

Posted By Press Release On June 18, 2011 @ 4:18 pm In Press

KURT BUSCH (3) (No. 22 Shell/Pennzoil Dodge Charger R/T) Qualified 1st
(Note: Third straight pole for Kurt Busch and fourth straight for Penske Racing and Dodge.)

“It’s amazing how it comes down to these thousandths of a second. This was a great run for our Shell/Pennzoil Dodge Charger. A little bit iffy through (Turns) 3 and 4, but we were really good in 1 and 2. It’s been a great week. I played golf with the Shell and Dodge executive earlier in the week. Our car is fast. We just need to figure out 3 and 4.

“This new knockout qualifying is really tough and the fastest guys try and qualify at the end. Each and every one has a shot of knocking you off the pole. I’m really happy for the guys that work on this car. Our R6 engine was awesome. Great decision by Steve (Addington, crew chief) and the team to set the car up and it showed today. We’ll have a great pit stall and in fuel mileage races, that’s really important.”

FOUR POLES IN A ROW: “Incredible. A lot of hard work by everyone on this No. 22 Shell/Pennzoil team. With the way and the direction that I wanted to go and felt what was wrong, to steer the ship in the right direction and see the results is rewarding. Our Dodge is fast. It feels great to find good results now. I think we just got back to basics and the results are showing on the track.”

KURT BUSCH IN THE MEDIA CENTER

“It’s great and an amazing feeling to have three poles in a row. It goes back to the guys and all the hard work, dedication, commitment and most of all, believing in each other. I didn’t realize that we’ve been in the top 10 all year long in points. At one point, there was this feeling of, ‘wow, we’re going to lose this edge if we don’t steer in a different direction’. I’m thankful that everyone was able to pull together and understand that we should just try something different. Whether it was right, wrong or indifferent. It’s great to see the results pop up so soon. I had no idea that we were right around the corner. But, this is a game of thousandths (of a second) and I just saw the 00’s time, he was three-thousandths-of-a-second behind us. I went Pro Stock racing earlier this year in the NHRA and three-thousandths can be the difference between hero and zero and that’s what we have today. We have the pole and I have all my guys to thank for it. A dialed-in Shell/Pennzoil Dodge. It’s been a great week up here in Michigan at the Dodge headquarters, seeing the Chrysler and Mopar folks, SRT group and the Viper guys. It’s just a good family feeling up here in Michigan and it’s good to show results out on the track.”

WOULD YOU BE IN FAVOR OF GIVING POINTS FOR WINNING A POLE? “I’m in no position to speak of that. I think that I’ve been lucky these last three weeks. I think that Ryan Newman [4] was the guy holding that torch a while back where he was definitely pushing to see points for pole positions. It would be nice to see one point for a pole. That’s all you could award with this new (point) system.

“To be on the pole for three weeks, there are so many benefits behind the scenes with picking your pit selection first, with having track position right away. When you get behind on pits stops, you can have a slow pit crew and you have that first pit box, that’s going to help you get out in front of guys throughout the day. There’s a lot of good feeling from sitting on the pole. If I’m a guys sitting on the pole for three weeks, I’d have three more points. Would that change me in points? No it wouldn’t. But it would be nice if you had those banked up towards the end of the season going into Homestead.”

DID YOUR TEAM HAVE A WATERSHED MOMENT FOR THIS TURNAROUND? “This is a first time that we haven’t had a pole without spinning or wrecking our primary car. This was a conventional weekend so to speak. It’s that way because the first few times after the big changes that we made, our car was very different to drive. Basically, it came down to core set-up in the car and it came to the core pieces that we’re bolting on the car. It’s not like we changed chassis design over night, but there are small things that we’ve added there as well. We can see it throughout the garage. Everybody is pushing the envelope in all areas. It’s just not aerodynamics. It’s just not the engine department. It’s not just ride height. Everybody is pushing the envelope every week.”

WHERE DOES THIS RANK FOR YOU TO WIN THREE STRAIGHT POLES? “This is a special accomplishment. It’s nice that we have the confidence in each other right now to know exactly how much air to put in the tires. We were sitting there on pit road the whole time wondering, ‘do we add air? Do we take out air?’ We watched Brad’s run and we were in a panic because we really didn’t know where Brad set his car up exactly. It was cool to call the team engineer on the radio back at the truck, he analyzed Brad’s setup versus ours…even that much more depth…just a quick check of basically one thing that we gauged and we saw that he was quite a bit of percentage tighter than us on that check. If he was that tight and we were set up that loose, we didn’t need to go any looser with our setup. It was nice to have that correlation of watching your teammate go out just a few cars ahead and still make an adjustment in time.”

STEVE ADDINGTON (crew chief, No. 22 Shell/Pennzoil Dodge Charger)
“What a great job by Kurt (Busch) and all the guys that touch this race car. This is big. To do this in Dodge’s backyard is awesome. I think the track temperature caught everybody by surprise today. We practiced in qualifying trim and didn’t touch it.”

FOUR POLES IN A ROW FOR PENSKE AND DODGE: “Awesome. Just a great job by everyone at Penske and Dodge. Kurt’s been awesome behind the wheel and the results have shown. Now we need to go get a win on Sunday.”

ROBBY GORDON (No. 7 SPEED Energy Dodge Charger R/T) Qualified 37th
“The speeds are a lot faster than I thought they would be based on how hot it is right now. I think everyone anticipated that it was going to rain and a bunch of us had our cars set up for a cooler race track; it’s ended up being the hottest day we’ve had so far. We loosened the car up and it was still tight. The track had grip. It’s a good lap for us. We’ll take it and go racing tomorrow.”

BRAD KESELOWSKI [5] (No. 2 Miller Lite Dodge Charger R/T) Qualified 41st
“Not the lap we were looking for. We’re not where we want to be with the handling of our Miller Lite Dodge. We’re just too tight.”

WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR IN TOMORROW’S RACE? “If you have a good car, you’ll find your way up to the front. This is a big, wide race track that has a lot of grooves. It’s not easy to get it up to the front. But if you’re good, you’re good and you’ll get up there.”

- Darnell Communications for Dodge Motorsports, Press Release

·
Super Moderator
23,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NASCAR Results

Last Updated: Saturday, Jun 18, 2011 6:28 pm, EDT
Alliance Truck Parts 250

Order Driver (No.) Car Pts/Bonus Laps Laps Led Winnings Lap Progress

1 Carl Edwards (60) Ford 48/5 125 62 $40,200 Chart
2 Ricky Stenhouse Jr. (6) Ford 43/1 125 38 $37,568 Chart
3 Kyle Busch (18) Toyota 41/0 125 0 $19,450 Chart
4 Paul Menard (33) Chevrolet 41/1 125 1 $20,625 Chart
5 Trevor Bayne (16) Ford 40/1 125 1 $22,543 Chart
6 Joey Logano (20) Toyota 38/0 125 0 $14,125 Chart
7 Mark Martin (32) Chevrolet 38/1 125 5 $13,910 Chart
8 Elliott Sadler (2) Chevrolet 37/1 125 6 $22,213 Chart
9 Brad Keselowski (22) Dodge 36/1 125 11 $14,550 Chart
10 Jason Leffler (38) Chevrolet 34/0 125 0 $21,018 Chart
11 Reed Sorenson (30) Chevrolet 33/0 125 0 $19,568 Chart
12 David Stremme (70) Chevrolet 32/0 125 0 $20,893 Chart
13 Justin Allgaier (31) Chevrolet 31/0 125 0 $19,593 Chart
14 Steve Wallace (66) Toyota 30/0 125 0 $19,018 Chart
15 Aric Almirola (88) Chevrolet 29/0 125 0 $20,093 Chart
16 Josh Wise (7) Chevrolet 28/0 125 0 $18,768 Chart
17 Brian Scott (11) Toyota 27/0 125 0 $18,993 Chart
18 David Reutimann (164) Toyota 26/0 125 0 $12,200 Chart
19 Michael Annett (62) Toyota 25/0 124 0 $18,618 Chart
20 Kenny Wallace (09) Toyota 24/0 124 0 $19,493 Chart
21 Joe Nemechek (87) Toyota 23/0 124 0 $19,243 Chart
22 Mike Wallace (01) Chevrolet 22/0 124 0 $18,443 Chart
23 Mike Bliss (19) Chevrolet 21/0 124 0 $18,793 Chart
24 Sam Hornish Jr. (12) Dodge 21/1 123 1 $12,575 Chart
25 Blake Koch (81) Dodge 19/0 123 0 $19,918 Chart

26 Jeremy Clements (51) Chevrolet 18/0 123 0 $18,218 Chart
27 Timmy Hill (15) Ford 17/0 123 0 $18,168 Chart
28 Derrike Cope (28) Chevrolet 16/0 121 0 $18,493 Chart
29 Eric McClure (14) Chevrolet 15/0 121 0 $18,043 Chart
30 Charles Lewandoski (40) Chevrolet 14/0 121 0 $18,293 Chart
31 Robert Richardson Jr. (103) Dodge 13/0 120 0 $17,938 Chart
32 Jennifer Jo Cobb (113) Ford 12/0 120 0 $11,410 Chart
33 Danny Efland (39) Ford 11/0 119 0 $17,843 Chart
34 Morgan Shepherd (89) Chevrolet 10/0 95 0 $17,823 Chart
35 Carl Long (141) Chevrolet 9/0 27 0 $11,340 Chart
36 Matthew Carter (168) Chevrolet 8/0 17 0 $11,300 Chart
37 Scott Riggs (23) Chevrolet 7/0 15 0 $11,280 Chart
38 Andy Ponstein (175) Ford 6/0 7 0 $11,240 Chart
39 J.J. Yeley (174) Chevrolet 5/0 5 0 $11,190 Chart
40 Tim Andrews (142) Chevrolet 4/0 2 0 $11,160 Chart
41 Jeff Green (44) Chevrolet 3/0 2 0 $11,135 Chart
42 Tony Raines (52) Chevrolet 2/0 2 0 $11,080 Chart
43 Dennis Setzer (49) Chevrolet 1/0 1 0 $11,030 Chart

·
Super Moderator
23,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dodge Motorsports NASCAR Nationwide Series Michigan International Speedway Post Race Notes & Quotes

Posted By Press Release On June 18, 2011 @ 6:46 pm In ARCA,Press Releases

Alliance Truck Parts 250

Post-Race Quotes

NASCAR Nationwide Series

BRAD KESELOWSKI [6] (No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge Challenger R/T) Finished 9th

“A tough break for us today with the Discount Tire Dodge. We started out really, really loose and I did everything I could to get us to the first set of pit stops so Todd (Gordon, crew chief) could get our Dodge Challenger tightened up. The difference in our car from the first run to the third was night and day. We knew that there were going to be long green runs, so we gambled a bit around lap 60 and decided not to pit when the caution flew so we could gain track position. It worked.

We restarted as the leader, but when we came back to pit around lap 91, we got black flagged for an uncontrolled tire on pit road and lost all of our track position. That’s racing. Stuff happens; it’s just part of the deal. We fought back late and were able to take a wave around with just under 30 laps to go and finished ninth. A hard fought day by the Discount Tire guys. It just wasn’t the finish we were looking for today.”

SAM HORNISH JR. (No. 12 Alliance Truck Parts Dodge Challenger R/T [7]) Finished 24th

“We practiced well and qualified well. At the start of the race, we tried to stay up front, but I was losing the back end off the corner and fell back. We tried to be smart, stop a little early for our final stop and the yellow flag came out. We got the wave around, but that put us in the back. I was trying to get around traffic really quick, got up high and got into the wall and cut down a tire. We had good stops and had a chance to get a pretty good finish with 25 to go, but had the tire issue and had to pit again.”

- Dodge Motorsports Press Release

·
Super Moderator
23,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
NASCAR Results

Last Updated: Sunday, Jun 19, 2011 5:06 pm, EDT

Order Driver (No.) Car Pts/Bonus Laps Laps Led Winnings Lap Progress

1 Denny Hamlin (11) Toyota 47/4 200 8 $202,200 Chart
2 Matt Kenseth (17) Ford 43/1 200 17 $170,436 Chart
3 Kyle Busch (18) Toyota 42/1 200 59 $157,516 Chart
4 Paul Menard (27) Chevrolet 41/1 200 2 $106,475 Chart
5 Carl Edwards (99) Ford 40/1 200 30 $138,716 Chart
6 Ryan Newman (39) Chevrolet 39/1 200 3 $130,450 Chart
7 Tony Stewart (14) Chevrolet 37/0 200 0 $127,608 Chart
8 Clint Bowyer (33) Chevrolet 36/0 200 0 $129,408 Chart
9 Mark Martin (5) Chevrolet 35/0 200 0 $92,900 Chart
10 Brian Vickers (83) Toyota 34/0 200 0 $111,364 Chart
11 Kurt Busch (22) Dodge 34/1 200 9 $130,525 Chart
12 Landon Cassill (51) Chevrolet 32/0 200 0 $81,450 Chart
13 A J Allmendinger (43) Ford 31/0 200 0 $120,061 Chart
14 Kevin Harvick (29) Chevrolet 31/1 200 1 $126,086 Chart
15 Greg Biffle (16) Ford 31/2 200 68 $102,325 Chart
16 Trevor Bayne (21) Ford 28/0 200 0 $80,650 Chart
17 Jeff Gordon (24) Chevrolet 27/0 200 0 $117,186 Chart
18 Joey Logano (20) Toyota 26/0 200 0 $87,850 Chart
19 Jamie McMurray (1) Chevrolet 25/0 200 0 $114,164 Chart
20 David Ragan (6) Ford 24/0 200 0 $88,550 Chart
21 Dale Earnhardt Jr. (88) Chevrolet 23/0 200 0 $86,625 Chart
22 Bobby Labonte (47) Toyota 23/1 200 1 $104,645 Chart
23 Marcos Ambrose (9) Ford 21/0 200 0 $108,891 Chart
24 Jeff Burton (31) Chevrolet 20/0 200 0 $85,650 Chart
25 Brad Keselowski (2) Dodge 19/0 200 0 $103,483 Chart
26 Martin Truex Jr. (56) Toyota 18/0 199 0 $84,975 Chart
27 Jimmie Johnson (48) Chevrolet 17/0 199 0 $127,511 Chart
28 Kasey Kahne (4) Toyota 16/0 199 0 $100,683 Chart
29 David Gilliland (34) Ford 15/0 199 0 $91,908 Chart
30 Juan Pablo Montoya (42) Chevrolet 14/0 199 0 $115,683 Chart
31 Travis Kvapil (38) Ford 13/0 199 0 $87,658 Chart
32 Mike Bliss (32) Ford 13/1 199 1 $84,947 Chart
33 Regan Smith (78) Chevrolet 11/0 199 0 $99,170 Chart
34 Dave Blaney (36) Chevrolet 10/0 198 0 $73,675 Chart
35 David Reutimann (00) Toyota 9/0 180 0 $101,483 Chart
36 Andy Lally (71) Ford 8/0 155 0 $82,025 Chart
37 Robby Gordon (7) Dodge 7/0 80 0 $72,475 Chart
38 Casey Mears (13) Toyota 7/1 51 1 $72,390 Chart
39 J.J. Yeley (46) Chevrolet 5/0 47 0 $72,340 Chart
40 Joe Nemechek (87) Toyota 4/0 44 0 $72,300 Chart
41 David Stremme (30) Chevrolet 3/0 39 0 $72,260 Chart
42 Scott Riggs (181) Chevrolet 2/0 30 0 $72,195 Chart
43 Michael McDowell (66) Toyota 1/0 28 0 $71,792

·
Super Moderator
23,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dodge Motorsports Notes & Quotes - NSCS Race Final - Michigan
June 19, 2011 , BROOKLYN, Mich. - Sunday, June 19, 2011

Dodge Motorsports PR
Michigan Int’l Speedway
NASCAR Sprint Cup Series
NSCS Race Final

KURT BUSCH (No. 22 Shell/Pennzoil Dodge Charger R/T) Finished 11th
“A really up and down day for us. It’s always tough when you earn a pole position and can’t take advantage of it during the race. Our Shell/Pennzoil Dodge Charger was just too inconsistent today to contend for a race win. We were a solid top-10 race car, but just couldn’t get (it) dialed in enough to run with the leaders. We ran 198 laps inside the top 10, finished 11th after getting nudged out on that last restart. It was really a seesaw day for us. It seemed like our car would be good for the first five laps of a green flag run, and then once the track would rubber-in, we would run tight. Our first lap was awesome; the last 199 were a challenge. You have to be rock-solid on these two-mile race tracks. You need a good race car, solid pit stops and good changes to keep up with the track and we just were too inconsistent today. A solid points day for us and that’s important in the big picture.”

BRAD KESELOWSKI (No. 2 Miller Lite Dodge Charger R/T) Finished 25th
“Obviously we had a poor qualifying effort that forced us to start at the rear of the field. Once the green flag flew, our Miller Lite Dodge was a rocket. We were able to make our way up the field and raced as high as 18th. I was just trying to move around on the race track, trying to get us to where we needed to be. I just pushed too hard and hit the wall and that led to a flat tire that totally changed our day. From there, our day went down hill and we just had to battle. Later in the day, we started to make our car right and had an opportunity to make a good run out of if and get a good finish, but had some engine issues on the restart. It’s tough. This track and race means so much to me. I really wanted to have good run and we just didn’t make it happen today. It was just one of those days where it didn’t matter what we did, we were going to have a bad day. We’ll just keep working at it.”

YOU STARTED 41ST YET WERE RUNNING 20TH BY LAP 15. WAS YOUR CAR THAT GOOD EARLY? “Yeah, our Miller Lite Dodge was really fast. Our first run was really strong. Then we started to stall a bit, scrubbed the wall and it went downhill. All the track position that we gained we gave back and you just can’t do that on a track like Michigan where track position is so important.”

·
Super Moderator
23,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Standings
Sprint Cup
Season

Rank (+/-) Drivers Total Pts Behind Starts Poles Wins Top 5 Top 10 DNF Winnings

1 - Carl Edwards 532 Leader 15 2 1 8 11 0 $4,832,403
2 +2 Kevin Harvick 512 20 15 0 3 6 8 1 $3,002,463
3 - Dale Earnhardt Jr. 505 27 15 1 0 3 8 1 $2,093,363
4 +1 Kyle Busch 503 29 15 0 2 8 9 3 $3,018,178